Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

- THE CD FORUM POSTICON SYSTEM -

Below is a summary on the posticons used for the character description approval process. The posticon of the first post should always be edited according to the current state of completion of the character description (either by the player, a Moderator or an Administrator).
1) PLAYER - CD is incomplete. Use this posticon if you have not finished your CD.  4) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by one moderator. A second mod's approval is needed.
 2) PLAYER - CD is completed. Use this if you have finished working on your CD.  5) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by two moderators. An Administrator should soon take care of the titling.
 3) MODERATOR - An expert's opinion is needed. The specific field in which the expert's help is needed should be added to the title.  6) ADMINISTRATOR - An administrator has titled the character, and the thread will soon be moved to the CD Archives.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ---  (Read 8775 times)
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

---
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

Scrapping.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:35:24 AM by Josephine Caranos » Logged
Thorgas Ironforge
Ironforge Pyromancer
Mini-mod

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »

Issues about magic? nonsense :D . You're a magic expert; people with the appropriate knowledge in our magic system can be higher than level 3, which no doubt you obviously have. We have someone granted a level 6 mage because of developments in the board.

There are no errors in this CD. beautifully written indeed. Big Grin

A weak mind is a deadly foe.
Thorgas Ironforge
Buri
Thorgas' theme song
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »

Looking good dear! I already talked to you in IRC about my only suggestion. Everything else is for the magically inclined :)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »

Made some minor additions and clarification as requested by Mina over IRC. Changes in yellow. I also added your suggestion, Kalina, though I felt it was sufficiently small as to not warrant a colour change. :)
Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:59:59 AM »

In addition to her magicks, Josephine carries several ‘proper’ weapons, including a cutlass and broadaxe. While she can use the cutlass effectively, she is unlikely to use it as an offensive weapon due to not trusting in her abilities in a life-or-death sword fight.
Any weapon skills should be listed under strengths. Even though she is hesitant to use these skills does not mean they are not there in a dire situation. Balancing weapon skills with magical abilities and adequate rogue skills is not an easy task to accomplish. Magi are generally discouraged from attempting to have more than the most minuscule of weapon skills.
Magic: Despite being a necromancer, Josephine utilizes the element of water, rather than fire. As such, she lacks access to traditional necromantic abilities such as reanimating the corpses of the dead. (Mentioning any specific element as traditional necromancy might be a bit premature. There are other elements outside of fire that have strong ties to necromancy, some areas of the necromantic arts are yet undefined. Such as a few civilizations in Nybelmar. Omitting or altering this reference might save you alterations in the future.) However, in return, she finds strength in manipulating the qualities of death itself—the “chill touch of the grave”. However, as she has not fully developed herself as a mage, most of her abilities are fundamental ones for her element and only briefly touch upon the aspects of death.

Josephine is a talented but less structured mage. Her control of it lies in her force of will rather than pure focus. As such, her level (advanced 3/early 4) is only an indication of her maximum potential rather than what she actually has learned—she has not had all the years of training to reach a true 4th level. Thus her understanding of magic is not nearly as full as a properly trained caster and her list of available spells, while diverse in level range, is much smaller than a properly trained mage (constructing a building without going through all the proper blueprints. The building might end up finished, but its foundation would be very weak due to key steps being skipped). This is nice analogy of how her magic varies from a Ximaxian practitioner. This would raise many red flags for me "if" your magic expertise were questionable. As it stands, I have faith enough in your knowledge of the field to see how you apply this in a story. Her spells tend to be more powerful than a caster with similar length of training, but much more prone to failing or using a different effect than desired. Often, her spells negatively impact herself as well as others, her control being unable to properly acquire the correct target of the attack.

Beyond standard fundamental frost spells, Josephine can touch on the necromantic aspects of it, though she has not yet advanced far enough to have a large repertoire of these spells. Some of these spells include the capability of preserving a target in a state of suspended animation through freezing every aspect of its Car'all, allowing a form of extended life--for as long as the target is in suspended animation, they would not age, allowing one to skip ahead years at a time, or to prevent one from dying long enough for a healer to arrive. Suspended animation is definitely something far beyond the abilities of a 3-4th lvl mage. As this freezing is but 1/4 of the overall car'all of said creature. Death would be a consequence of this type of magic. Though I see how a mage of this element could use their magics to suspend blood loss to an ally for more time in healing. I do not see how it could be used to suspend the very life of a creature for years at such a low level. Hours, days maybe with frequent attention from the magic-user I could possibly see at this level but the body still needs sustenance to keep it physically healthy. Bring this to the magic forum if you would Josephine as there are some interesting possibilities and complications involved here. Other abilities include the capacity to see the spirits of the recently deceased, through manipulating the trace water ounía to produce a cloudy frost vapor in the shape of the spirit--though she can do nothing beyond simply observing these beings. Other spells include the ability to corpsify <-mummify? something through the complete diminishing of its water ounía, causing death and subsequent changes to the body as its flesh tightens and becomes stiff and cold, among other effects, due to the dehydration.

The use of magic without a controlled approach has dangerous results, however, and Josephine has skirted along these several times. She is often wracked by permanent chills and cold, as the ounía in her own Cár’áll have aligned and activated themselves in ways that they should have not. This effect is more pronounced when she casts spells, to the point that her physical form gradually deteriorates—her skin and hair paling and her touch going frigid. Vapors of frost may wisp out from underneath the sleeves of her clothing as her casting becomes more prominent over a short period of time, and eventually, she may collapse as her muscles cease to actively function from the deathly chills. OMG what an excellent description! Very nicely written leaving me with some vivid images of these side effects.
Well you know where to find me if you wish to discuss some of these comments. Or feel free to place your ideas/thoughts here if you like, so they are readily available to other commentors.
~Sincerely~
Cáo fá cár'tuulén:Twen Araerwen

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:16:00 AM »

In addition to her magicks, Josephine carries several ‘proper’ weapons, including a cutlass and broadaxe. While she can use the cutlass effectively, she is unlikely to use it as an offensive weapon due to not trusting in her abilities in a life-or-death sword fight.
Any weapon skills should be listed under strengths. Even though she is hesitant to use these skills does not mean they are not there in a dire situation. Balancing weapon skills with magical abilities and adequate rogue skills is not an easy task to accomplish. Magi are generally discouraged from attempting to have more than the most minuscule of weapon skills.

You're right, I'll add that.

Magic: Despite being a necromancer, Josephine utilizes the element of water, rather than fire. As such, she lacks access to traditional necromantic abilities such as reanimating the corpses of the dead. (Mentioning any specific element as traditional necromancy might be a bit premature. There are other elements outside of fire that have strong ties to necromancy, some areas of the necromantic arts are yet undefined. Such as a few civilizations in Nybelmar. Omitting or altering this reference might save you alterations in the future.)

I mentioned traditional in the idea that most people's belief of necromancy is simply 'raising the dead'. I didn't mean any 'actual' tradition. I could say the more common... assumption? Or something like that.

Beyond standard fundamental frost spells, Josephine can touch on the necromantic aspects of it, though she has not yet advanced far enough to have a large repertoire of these spells. Some of these spells include the capability of preserving a target in a state of suspended animation through freezing every aspect of its Car'all, allowing a form of extended life--for as long as the target is in suspended animation, they would not age, allowing one to skip ahead years at a time, or to prevent one from dying long enough for a healer to arrive. Suspended animation is definitely something far beyond the abilities of a 3-4th lvl mage. As this freezing is but 1/4 of the overall car'all of said creature. Death would be a consequence of this type of magic. Though I see how a mage of this element could use their magics to suspend blood loss to an ally for more time in healing. I do not see how it could be used to suspend the very life of a creature for years at such a low level. Hours, days maybe with frequent attention from the magic-user I could possibly see at this level but the body still needs sustenance to keep it physically healthy. Bring this to the magic forum if you would Josephine as there are some interesting possibilities and complications involved here.

It is something that's a bit odd. I brought it up in a post over at the magic forum as well. Right now, from as far as I understand it, magic levels and spheres correspond with one another. IE, level 1-3 are Sphere I, 4-6 are Sphere II, and 7 and above are Sphere III.

A spell that suspends something's animation would be a Sphere I spell as it neither condenses/separates ounia or adds/subtracts ounia, it simply amplifies their properties. Suspending something's animation is simply amplifying the property of freezing. Depending on how you freeze something, you can effectively halt its biological functions until it is thawed.

You're right, she may not be able to halt biological functions (safely at least) for long stretches of time with her experience, though she would have the foundations for it. I'll change it to state that she is not at the appropriate ability to fully express a complete suspended animation.

Other spells include the ability to corpsify <-mummify?

Mummify is the act of preserving a corpse so that it doesn't decompose more than it already has. This is more turning something into a corpse. I could change it to decrepify, maybe?

Thanks for the comments. :)
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:24:31 AM »

Changes made based on the above.
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »

Added separate clothing section and revamped outfit, along with a quick sketch.

Section is not coloured since it was completely redone and was not mod-requested, but can be found under the new 'clothing' heading.
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:52:21 AM »

Front page bump.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:29:07 PM »

Everything looks ok dear, as long as the magic is good, I see no problem in a easy first approval from me. :)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »

Some of these spells include the capability of preserving a target in a state of suspended animation through freezing every aspect of its Car'all, allowing a form of extended life--for as long as the target is in suspended animation, they would not age, allowing one to skip ahead years at a time, or to prevent one from dying long enough for a healer to arrive
This seems more of an Earth thing to me, actually.  It's quite possible that Water could achieve something similar by freezing the target, but it is probably not as safe or direct as using Earth. 

using Sphere I intension to partially freeze objects in order to more properly grip their water ounía, and then hurling them at an opponent in a manner similar to a frost bolt.

Interesting idea.  Thumb up Like I said on the dev board though, movement is due to Wind, so a better description of this would perhaps be to use the Water ounia to indirectly increase Wind's influence (which also increases Water's influence).  Your description is I think not really wrong, but more figurative and less technically accurate.  But in any case, the effect itself should be fine I think. 

Well, I guess the magic stuff is mostly fine.  The other stuff looks okay to me too, so I guess you have your first approval.   :)

Lorek Bearfist
Knight Berserker
Approved Character

Human, Helvet'ine

Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »

Greetings, Lady Rheine. Just some minor nitpicks I noticed in your CD. One being that she can wield a cutlass with a degree of skill. To me this would seem to unbalance her, as she is already a mage of considerable ability. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong about it unbalancing her. After all, I’m not a mod nor a magic expert. Granted, she may not trust in her abilities; but she still has them. Also, M’Lady, it’s magics not magicks. (Ever the spelling enthusiast I am. I hate myself for it, trust in that.) Other than that, everything else seems to be perfect IMHO. I wish you a rapid titlement. Until next our paths cross in the sands of time.

Your friend,

Dagan Abaddon Ironfist

"My blade is malicious justice forged into metallic form! I seek the blood and destruction of all who persecute the innocent! Wickedness, I am your killer!" - Lorek Bearfist

~Shameless Self Promotion
Vesk Lyricahl
Woeful Rover
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »

You've done a great job with this CD; you're not rusty at all. ;)

And you have your second approval. Thumb up

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 11:34:28 PM »

Go ahead and remove the color from your CD and then I can move ya down to the archives ^.^

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Fox
Drifter
Story Mod

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:36 AM »

Some of these spells include the capability of preserving a target in a state of suspended animation through freezing every aspect of its Car'all, allowing a form of extended life--for as long as the target is in suspended animation, they would not age, allowing one to skip ahead years at a time, or to prevent one from dying long enough for a healer to arrive
This seems more of an Earth thing to me, actually.  It's quite possible that Water could achieve something similar by freezing the target, but it is probably not as safe or direct as using Earth.

Earth could literally stop things, while Water attempts to mimic Earth by freezing things. But then, Water is more likely to be more easily reversed than Earth. So yeah, you're right, Earth could be more effective but Water is also useful in this regard.

using Sphere I intension to partially freeze objects in order to more properly grip their water ounía, and then hurling them at an opponent in a manner similar to a frost bolt.

Interesting idea.  Thumb up Like I said on the dev board though, movement is due to Wind, so a better description of this would perhaps be to use the Water ounia to indirectly increase Wind's influence (which also increases Water's influence).  Your description is I think not really wrong, but more figurative and less technically accurate.  But in any case, the effect itself should be fine I think.

Movement is a direct property of wind, but movement is an effect of Sphere II that can be used to indirectly move something. Wind *carries* an object, while Sphere II pulls an object through pulling the ounia (and thus the other ounia following suit due to the natural desire to stick to each other in mostly-structured objects (thanks to Earth's properties, no doubt)).

Greetings, Lady Rheine. Just some minor nitpicks I noticed in your CD. One being that she can wield a cutlass with a degree of skill. To me this would seem to unbalance her, as she is already a mage of considerable ability. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong about it unbalancing her. After all, I’m not a mod nor a magic expert. Granted, she may not trust in her abilities; but she still has them.

One can have numerous strengths provided they are balanced by numerous weaknesses. With my characters, I tend to give them more weaknesses than they have strengths. While in terms of physical ability she may excel, it's counterbalanced by the lack of any real flexing of that power. Wasted potential, as it were. As someone who experiences the effects of that quite often IRL (the character is mostly based on myself), I consider it to be quite a heavy weakness, heh.

Also, M’Lady, it’s magics not magicks. (Ever the spelling enthusiast I am. I hate myself for it, trust in that.)

I know :). But it's a little something that has become 'tradition' for me. Magick is an alternate, older spelling for 'magic', I've just taken it to the point where I use it as the plural form while I use the k-less version for singular. It may not be accurate, but it's something I've been doing for years.

Thanks for the comments and the title, all.  Number 1

(have removed the color so you can move it to the archive now, Kali)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]