Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nyxthia Calfuray/ Hjoria/ Cartographer  (Read 6195 times)
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:46 AM »

Name: Nyxthia Calfuray

Race: Human

Tribe:  Hjoria

Title: Inquisitive Regenade

Appearance:
 Height- 1 ped, 2 fores, 1 palmspan,
 Weight- 1 pygge
 Hair Colour- Black
 Eye Colour – Deep Violet

Physical Appearance: 
Nyxthia has raven-coloured hair that nearly reaches her elbows. It is silky and sometimes seems to shimmer in the light, though because she belongs to the Hjoria, it didn't used to see the light often enough. That has changed, as she has left her tribe 7 years ago. Her skin is tan, which to her tribe, is a disgrace. She has enchanting violet eyes, and long smoky eyelashes. Coupled with her jet black hair, it lends her a sense of mystery. She is tall for a female human, but she is also very flexible, though nowhere near the fluidity acrobats have. Her movements are graceful and elegant, yet they veil the strength her lean muscles have.

One thing that stands out however, is a phoenix tattoo on her arm, prominently displayed. It paints a fiery picture, wings reached towards the heavens, and the setting sun behind it. It is her own masterpiece, and she is proud to have it on her skin. 

Clothes- She likes purple clothing. She is rather the fashion diva, wanting everything to match her hair, her eyes or her pendant. The clothing she most often wears is a pair of long pants, deep purple in colour, and a well fitting shirt whose colour is a shade lighter than her pants. She always wears black boots. It is her preference, after all, according to her, "what starts in black, should end in black."

Personality:
Nyxthia is a simple person. The world is either good, or bad. Of course, she isn’t so simple as to not notice the grey areas, but she mainly looks at the world and automatically labels things good or bad.

She is also extremely curious. Always, in whatever she did, she would always ask, "Why?" She wanted to know everything, from why the Sun set, why it rose, how did the Inja grow so tall? Questions were and are the one thing she never runs out of. Her curiosity got to a point where her father threatened to bind and gag her if she so much as uttered the two words “why” and “does” consecutively.

Coming to her father… She became an extremely rebellious child as her father never seemed to love her. Half the time, she would anger him with her wise-ass remarks about his work or something like that, causing him to get angry in turn and beat her or lock her in the closet, depriving her of food. This, of course, led her to be more resentful and more rebellious. This particular trait stayed with her throughout her life.   

She is also of a very mild temperament, unless the person insults her elder brother. To her, her brother was her hero, her idol and her protector. He was an example of what she always strived to be: patient, kind, generous. She also has an extreme need to protect anyone younger than her, especially boys. This is because she has lost her younger brother. He was chosen to go into the Void in the Festival of Finding. Call it the brother complex if you will, but she would always put herself in danger without hesitation if it meant that some one younger than her would get hurt.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
Strengths
•   Education – Belonging to the Hjoria, it was mandatory for her to learn to read and write. This will prove helpful to her occupation.
•   Artistic talent – She can draw very well, and her sense of distance and proportion played a part in her deciding her occupation.
•   Pride - She is extremely proud. She rarely accepts charity, hired help, or any kind of help, for that matter. This pushes her to be the best she can be, and often, she succeeds.
•   Weapon skill (Boomerang) - She is proficient in the use of a boomerang, indeed, that is her weapon of choice. She would much rather cut down an enemy from far way than engage in melee combat.
•    Weapon skill (Dagger) – She isn’t as skilled as she is with the boomerang, but she can still use them well. This is her alternative to fleeing while in melee.
•    Familiar - She has a very strong bear (in his prime) to protect her. This strength speaks for itself.

Weaknesses-
•   Naturally rebellious – Any time she encounters a person who likes to order people around, she immediately will dislike the person. Thus, she will usually ignore the person, or comment on his or her's orders in a very sarcastic manner. This often makes her many enemies, more than what she would have had if she had kept her mouth shut.
•   Sibling complex – Stemming from the loss of her younger brother, she has a pressing need to protect and care for anyone younger than her. This includes unnecessary treating of meals, unnecessary buying of things, and unnecessary risking of her life. If need be, she would instinctively take an arrow for anyone younger than her. She knows it’s overkill, but she cannot help it.
•   Pride – As said above, she rarely accepts any help at all. This may be harmful to her, especially if she really needs it.
•   Claustrophobic – As it suggests, Nyxthia has an irrational fear of small places. This most probably originates from her father’s preferred punishment: locking her in the closet.
•   Cleithrophobic - This weakness comes hand in hand with her claustrophobia. It means that besides a fear of small places, she also has a fear of being locked up. This also orginates from the closet punishment.
•   Astraphobic – She has a great fear of thunderstorms. Especially thunder. It has caused her to be reduced to a quivering mass under a table. At these times, she is very obviously vulnerable and weak.

History: 
Nyxthia grew up in the City of Hjoreh, along with her parents, her older brother Avitus, and his horse, Eros. Eros was a gift to her father from an Azhohrian traveller but he gave the horse to Avitus. Her childhood was relatively normal, although she was more curious about things than most. The only thing that marred her childhood life was that her father detested her. He had always wanted boys, so when her mother got pregnant again, he had assumed it was a boy. When Nyxie popped out, he was so disappointed. Avitus, on the other hand, thought that having a sister was the best thing that had ever happened to him in his 4 year long life. As soon as he saw her, he vowed to protect her, because in his mind, that was what big brothers do.

Nyxie adored her brother for as long as she remembered. He had always been the one to step in if his father was too angry at her, the one who patched her up if she was hurt, and the one who picked her up when she fell. Once, when she had been bullied by four of the travellers’ kids, he tended to her wounds, and told her to go and play in the garden. A few hours later, he came back, bruised and bloodied. He told her that it was from working, and she accepted that explanation. She didn’t realize what had happened until the next day, when she passed the healer’s house and saw the four boys. One nearly had most of his teeth knocked out, one had a broken collarbone, one had a broken nose, and the leader of the gang was bedridden for a month.

After that incident, she started to train herself with a boomerang that a traveller had given her family in return for shelter. Her brother had commented that by only training with the boomerang, she would be at a disadvantage should the fight become close and personal. After pondering over that nugget of wisdom, she concluded that he was right and also started to train with a dagger. She became quite proficient with them.   

Growing up, she found that she never liked the way that she always had to wear that dratted robe. It was so hot underneath it. Nyxthia never understood the concept of keeping her skin white. She thinks that if the Fae were as beautiful, understanding and kind as she was brought up to believe, they would allow them to be different, and not force them to rot underneath heavy robes.

She was about 9 when she first took off her robe in bright sunlight. It was a hot day, she was sweating buckets, she just had a big fight with her parents and her feet hurt.  So, something in her finally snapped. She ran to a deserted area away from sight, and ripped off her robe. Finally letting her skin see the sun felt really good, so she continued to bask in the Sun’s rays until her brother came up the street. With a horrified gasp, he scooped up young Nyxthia and dragged her behind a tower of crates. “What are you doing? You’ll be beaten up badly if Father finds out! ” Nyxthia replied, “I’m doing what I think the Fae wants.” At his quizzical look, she elaborated. “I’m thinking that ‘cuz the Fae are so mag-nay-mous an’ all, they wouldn’t want me to sweat so much under a robe. So I took it off!” Avitus gave her an incredulous look and said sternly, “Nyxie, NEVER do this again. If Father finds out, no matter how much Mother and I try to protect you, you’ll still be hurt badly by him.”

She continued doing this (in secret, of course) and her skin gradually grew tanner. Although at first, she had burnt, she still enjoyed the thrill of not being found out, until her father noticed and remarked upon it during dinner once. “Nyxie, your skin seems dark, darker than ours. What have you been doing?” Nyxthia panicked, and it must have shown slightly on her face because her brother came to her rescue. “Father, it’s just the firelight. She’s been this colour since she was born.” Her father seemed to accept the explanation, and continued with dinner. It was a close shave, and although she stopped doing it for a while, after the shock wore off, she fell back to her habit.

When she was 10, her mother gave birth to a baby boy, Dalmis. At first, Nyxie hated him because she wasn’t the baby of the family anymore, and everyone (especially her brother) seemed to care more about him than Nyxie. She resented that. Until one day, she was sitting inside, patching up one of her robes, when Dalmis started to cry for no reason. Her mother had gone on an errand, and her father was out working, so there was no one at home but her, Avitus, and Dalmis. Avitus picked Dalmis up and started to rock him gently, even singing. Dalmis continued crying, even with the continued rocking. Nyxie, frustrated, snatched the boy and started crooning a lullaby. To her surprise, he immediately calmed down. “Nice work, Nyxie. He must like you,” Avitus smiled, ruffling her hair. Hmm… she thought to herself. Maybe the baby isn’t that bad after all.

She led a few more relatively peaceful years, until she turned fourteen. In the four years, two became three; the group that was once “my brother and I” grew to “my brother and I, with the squirt”. Although she still was regularly beaten and locked up by her father, the time without her father passed in bliss. Why did I say "until"? Because four years after Dalmis was born, her world fell apart.
~
“No! Father, you can’t send Dalmis to the Fae; he’ll never return!” she cried, clinging on to her father’s arm. “Shut up, you insolent girl! How dare you try to tell me what I should do!” her father shouted back, giving her a resounding slap on her cheek. Nyxthia fell to the floor, cheek stinging. Ignoring the pain, she jumped up and tried reasoning once more. “Please! He’s your son! You always wanted sons, why sacrifice him?”

“It is not sacrificing, you useless girl! It is a great honour to go into the void! I am proud that my son has been chosen.”

“I am not useless! I’ve topped my class since I was five! How can you say such a thing? Fine, forget about me, how about him? He’s an innocent, and it’s unthinkable to send a child into the Void! Who knows what’s in there!”

“The Fae are in there! They’ll protect him! It’s a great honour and privilege!”

At this, Nyxthia realized that she would never change his mind. A single, translucent tear slid down her smooth cheek as she turned away from the monster she called “father”. “It’s savage,” she whispered as she flung open the door and ran into the dying light. The brown tents faded into a blur, partly by her speed, and partly by the tears welling up, streaking down her face.
~
For the next week, nothing could pull Nyxthia from the gloomy moods she had fallen into. She had many sudden fits of sadness. In one of her fits of depression, she even contemplated throwing herself into the Void after him. The only time she was happy, was when she was with Dalmis. Always, she had cherished every moment she spent with him, but now, she held every second close to her heart. The times when she could see him after his preparation, she smiled and joked with him, keeping her true feelings hidden from him, as he seemed so happy at being chosen. Every night, however, she cried herself to sleep.

On the day itself, she woke, dreading the hours that would come. She didn’t participate in the merrymaking. Every second that passed was another spear piercing into her heart. In what seemed like forever, the procession finally reached the Void. While the Ma’drea spoke the ritual lines, tears started to well up unbidden. Avitus, who was beside her, put a protective arm around her. As the Ma’drea solemly recited the final line, Nyxthia abandoned all restraint and started to sob quietly into Avitus’s shoulder. Suddenly, determination surged in her. She would see Dalmis off; she would not let her last memory of him be tainted by the ceremony! Raising a tear-stained face, Nyxthia bravely gazed at the retreating back of her brother, silently praying that whatever power was in the Void would take care of him.

When they finally arrived back at the city, and all have returned to their tents, her father finally blew his top. “Why do you always embarrass me? Your brother deserved a true sending off, yet in front of the whole city, you cry like a baby!“ her father yelled at her, delivering a sound slap on her face. Grabbing her arm roughly, he shoved her into the closet, locking the door after her. “You will stay there until you apologise for your rudeness and disrespect! No food or water either!“

But by then, the blow of losing Dalmis had made her numb. She cared not what would happen to her; she could rot in the closet for all she cared! Twenty four hours later, however, the hunger pangs awoke her survival instincts, and with her survival instincts, came her claustrophobia. She banged on the door, screaming to be let out, but the only answer was an angry voice demanding an apology. Her pride would not allow her to apologise, so she was confined to that closet for another day, until her brother came to her rescue.

“Nyxie! Here,“ Avitus murmured as he quietly unlocked the closet door. “Food! And drink!“ Nyxthia whispered, spying the edibles and liquids stacked in a neat pile beside her brother. She tried to stand up, but lack off nutrition caused her to stumble. Avitus caught her with a little groan. “Damn, you’ve grown thin,“ he swore quietly as he ran a hand down her arm. By this time, Nyxthia was quietly downing the food, but she was sure to be slow. The food tasted like heaven, the water, the elixer of life.

After, she lay on her back, staring at the slanted roof of her tent. Presently, she spoke. “I can’t take this, Tusky. I really can’t. The constant hard looks, the punishments... the only thing that made it bearble was you and Squrit, but he’s gone, and you’re eighteen now. You’ll want to start a family with Shanti, do you not? If you leave, I won’t be able to handle.“ Avitus looked at her with shocked eyes. “I know I may seem mad, but I’m planning to run away. Tonight.“ Nyxthia sat up, violet eyes searching Avitus’s face. A myraid of emotions flitted across his face, disbelief, shock, fear, then resignment. He gave a soft sigh.

“I know you, Nyxie. You’ve always been adventurous, a rebel, especially to Father.“ At this he gave a bitter laugh. “Father... it seems like he’s the root of all our problems. I will never have the courage to stand up to him like you do, but I’ve secretly admired your spunk at dealing with him.“ He stood up and padded into his tent. A few minutes later, he came out, holding a small bag. He placed the bag in front of her. “Here. I’ve packed a few clothes, a sewing kit, and some money. And food, mainly fruits.“ He gently pulled Nyxthia to her feet, and both quietly left their tent, silent as the night.

At the stables, he saddled his horse, Eros. With a sad smile, he placed Ero’s reins in her hands. “He knows the way back,“ was all he said. Touched, Nyxthia threw her arms around him and held on tightly. He returned the hug gently. After a long while, he pushed her away and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. With both hands, he helped her mount Eros. As she bade him a teary farewell, he suddenly ripped off his pendant. Pressing it into her hand, he said softly, “Go now, little sister, and may the Fae be with you, for with my pendant, I always will.“

With that, she galloped out into the wide open world.

When she reached Shan’Zarathan, she dismounted Eros and pointed him in the direction of Hjoreh. “Go, bring my wellbeing to my brother.“ As if he knew what she was talking about, he nodded and galloped off into whence they came. She prowled Shan’Zarathan for a few days, before suddenly hearing a scream from a deserted alley. Her boomerang out in her hand, she sprinted down the alley, and was greeted with the sight of a young boy, who had a gaping wound. He was being shielded by his mother from a mugger, although that didn’t seem very effective. Deft fingers flicked the boomerang, and by sheer luck, it sailed through the air and sliced the mugger’s throat clean open. Her footsteps quick, she ran over to the mother and son. Unfortunately, the knife wound the mugger gave him was fatal. With his dying breath, he beckoned Nyxthia closer.

With his last remaining strength, he pressed his Zarathian dagger into her hand. “For saving my mother,“ he murmured, before the Fae claimed him. Shaken, she wanted to return the dagger to his mother, but she just pushed it back to her saying that her son wanted her to have it, so she should. As an added thank-you, she also gave Nyxthia some money for her passage off the island. After attending the boy’s funeral, Nyxthia bought a one way ticket to Southern Sarvonia. From there on, she travelled for about three years.

It was around her 2nd year wandering when she found that maps were in high demand. At first, she had drawn maps for her to find her own way, but one day, a merchant spied her drawing and offered a considerable amount of money if she would draw a map to Voldar. Having been there before, she complied, and promptly received a sum of money in return. It was then she realised that mapmaking was a sad little market, yet highly lucrative. From then on, she decided that mapmaking would be her official occupation.

In her 18th year, she was travelling in the Shaded forest when she met Glacier. She was camping out in the forest, and she was about to turn in when she saw a bear running out of the bushes. Immediately, she went for her boomerang, but he ignored her, and ran for her fruits. Nyxthia went on instinct; she upended her whole pack of fruits in front of the bear, and it started to feast. Chuckling to herself, she went to bed after making a hammock in the above trees.

The next day, the bear was still following her. It kept following her no matter what she did, and she finally gave up trying to get rid of him. She named him Glacier, just to be contrary. 

Since then, she has travelled widely with Glacier and met many people, although she usually returns to Southern Sarovnia.

Weapons: Her weapons of choice are the boomerang for ranged attack, and a Zarathian Dagger for close combat. She gained the boomerang from a traveller as payment for shelter, and the dagger was given to her by a dying man.   

Belongings: She has only the clothes on her back and a few changes of clothing in a bag. She has a bit of savings from her maps, but she only uses them when needed. She has parchment, ink and quill for drawing, and her weapons. Around her neck, she has her brother’s pendant. It is her good luck charm, a reminder of the home she left, and the brother who still loves her. It is her most prized posession.

Familiar: Argothin Bear named Glacier. She has grown fond of the bear, and he has travelled with her for over 3 years now. He looks like the typical Argothin Bear, with black fur, tusks, the whole package. It seems like his almond-hued eyes have a permanent sparkle of intelligence, and Nyxthia's life has been saved by his strong claws many a time. While on the road, she often speaks to him as if her were human. Most people would think she's mad, talking to an animal, but she thinks of it as "conversing with a friend". As to why he's there in the first place, even Nyxthia has no idea why he followed her; she's just happy that she now has someone to share her travels with.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:00:37 PM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Dorj Bluebark
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:23:39 AM »

Just to run it over.

You are twenty-one. You state that you were fifteen, and then fourteen when Dalmis was sent into the Void. Just confusing. The desert your tribe lives on the far side of is rather large. There are predators everywhere and you cannot use a weapon. Women of the Hjora tribe are not taught or even expected/allowed to use weapons. The few weapons that the tribe does possess are bows and longswords. You'd have to have a way to pay passage from Shan'Zarathan. Also, the Hjora would burn first, not tan. If you've lived your entire life under wraps, your skin is really pale. You probably aren't going to go out in the open. Also, I'm not sure the Hjora have horses.
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »

@Dorj:

Thank you for your comments. I have taken them into account and edited accordingly, except for a few. The breakdown is listed below.

1. Age - I've changed it. An overlook on my part.

2. Predators - I'm assuming she has her weapons.

3. Weapons - The entry only says "not expected". That is not the same as "not allowed". With all due respect, I wish for another opinion, preferably a mod. Until then, I shall not edit this particular part.

4. Money - I have added a part sayinfg that the woman gave me some money as well.

5. Tanning - Have also put that in.

6. Horses - I have made it a gift to her father, who gave it to her brother in turn.

And again, thank you for your time in reading my CD. I wish you all the best in your CD creation as well.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:29:55 PM by Nyxthia Calfuray » Logged

Simonne Miller
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »

Ok, I read through your CD. I agree with you, it's not because women are not expected to know how to fight that they are not allowed. You can keep her fighting skills.

I'll give you a uri-check some time soon. You shouldn't be far from titling, this is a really interesting and well-worked out character, but there were one or two things I noticed while reading :)

With regard,
Simonne
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »

Thank you very much, Simonne! grin

Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »

Hey Nyxthia, one tiny little thing - "sexist" is quite a modern term and wouldn't have been around in Santharian times (think a little after middle ages).  Changing her arguement to somthing along the lines of "you always treat me differently because I'm a girl" would be an easy way of solving this, but its important to remember that its probably quite normal for girls to be treated differently than boys to some extent.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:22:15 PM by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »

Alright, fixed some minor grammar and spelling mistakes, added a tattoo, changed a bit of format.

EDIT: Oh, and changed the argument. No more sexist.

EDIT II: That sounded weird.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:41:08 PM by Nyxthia Calfuray » Logged

Simonne Miller
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

Name: Nyxthia Calfuray

Race: Human

Tribe:  Hjoria

Title: Inquisitive Cartographer

Appearance:
 Height- 1 ped, 2 fores, 1 palmspan,
 Weight- 1 pygge
 Hair Colour- Black
 Eye Colour – Deep Violet

Physical Appearance: 
Nyxthia has raven-coloured hair that nearly reaches her elbows. It is silky and sometimes seems to shimmer in the light, though because she belongs to the Hjoria, it doesn't see didn't used to see? the light often enough. That has changed, as she had has left her tribe 7 years ago. Her skin is tan, which to her tribe, is a disgrace. She has enchanting violet eyes, and long smoky eyelashes. Coupled with her jet black hair, it lends her a sense of mystery. She is tall for a female human, but she is also very flexible, though nowhere near the fluidity acrobats have. Her movements are graceful and elegant, yet they veil the strength her lean muscles have.

One thing that stands out however, is a pheonix tattoo on her arm, prominently displayed. It paints a fiery picture, wings reached towards the heavens, and the setting sun behind it. It is her own masterpiece, and she is proud to have it on her skin. 

Clothes- She likes purple clothing. She is rather the fashion diva, wanting everything to match her hair, her eyes or her pendent pendant. The clothing she most often wears is a pair of long pants, deep purple in colour, and a well fitting shirt whose colour is a shade lighter than her pants. She has black boots. It is her preference, after all, according to her, what starts in black, should end in black.”

Personality:
Nyxthia is a simple person. The world is either good, or bad. Of course, she isn’t so simple as to not notice the grey areas, but she mainly looks at the world and automatically labeling them labels things good or bad.

She is also extremely curious. Always, in whatever she did, she would always ask, "Why?" She wanted to know everything, from why the Sun set, why it rose, how did the Inja grow so tall? Questions were and are the one thing she never ran runs out of. Her curiosity got to a point where her father threatened to bind and gag her if she so much as uttered the two words “why” and “does” consecutively.

Coming to her father… She became an extremely rebellious child as her father never seemed to love her. Half the time, she would anger her father with her wise-ass remarks about his work or something like that, causing her father to get angry in turn and beat her. You have four times 'her father' in three sentences. You could change some to 'him', it's obvious who you are talking about. This, of course, will lead led her to be more resentful and more rebellious.   

She is also of a very mild temperament, unless the person insults her elder brother. To her, her brother was her hero, her idol and her protector. He was an example of what she always strived to be: patient, kind, generous. She also has an extreme need to protect anyone younger than her, especially boys. Call it the brother complex if you will, but she would always put herself in danger without hesitation if it meant that some one younger than her would get hurt. Maybe you could specify that the protecting younger kids is because of her younger brother. As you have it now, it looks as though it's because of the elder brother, which doesn't really make sense ;)

Strengths and Weaknesses:
Strengths
•   Education – Belonging to the Hjoria, it was mandatory for her to learn to read and write. This will prove helpful to her occupation.
•   Artistic talent – She can draw very well, and her sense of distance and proportion played a part in her deciding her occupation.
•   Pride - She is extremely proud. She rarely accepts charity, hired help, or any kind of help, for that matter. This pushes her to be the best she can be, and often, she succeeds.
•   Weapon skill (Boomerang) - She is proficient in the use of a boomerang, indeed, that is her weapon of choice. She would much rather cut down an enemy from far way than engage in melee combat.
•    Weapon skill (Dagger) – She isn’t as skilled as she is with the boomerang, but she can still use them well. This is her alternative to fleeing while in melee.

Weaknesses-
•   Naturally rebellious – Any time she encounters a person who likes to order people around, she immediately will dislike the person. Thus, she will usually ignore the person, or comment on s/he’s his or her orders in a very sarcastic manner. This often makes her many enemies, more than what she would have had if she had kept her mouth shut.
•   Sibling complex – Stemming from the loss of her younger brother, she has a pressing need to protect and care for anyone younger than her. This includes unnecessary treating of meals, unnecessary buying of things, and unnecessary risking of her life. If need be, she would instinctively take an arrow for anyone younger than her. She knows it’s overkill, but she cannot help it.
•   Claustrophobic and Cleithrophobia – As it suggests, Nyxthia has an irrational fear of small places and being locked up in an enclosed place. This most probably originates from her father’s preferred punishment: locking her in the closet. From what I read in the history, her father only did that once. Or am I wrong about that?
•   Astraphobic – She has a great fear of thunderstorms. Especially thunder. It has caused her to be reduced to a quivering mass under a table. At these times, she is very obviously vulnerable and weak.
•   Pride – As said above, she rarely accepts any help at all. This may be harmful to her, especially if she really needs help it.

History: 
Nyxthia grew up in the City of Hjoreh, along with her parents, her older brother (Avitus) , and his horse, Eros. Eros was had been a gift to her father from an Azhohrian traveller but he gave the horse to Avitius Is it Avitus or Avitius?. Her childhood was relatively normal, although she was more curious about things than most. The only thing that marred her childhood life was that her father detested her. He had always wanted boys, so when her mother got pregnant again, he had assumed it was a boy. When Nyxie popped out, he was so very? disappointed. Avitus, on the other hand, thought that having a sister was the best thing that had ever happened to him in his 4 year long life. As soon as he had seen saw her, he had vowed to protect her, because in his mind, that was what big brothers do.

Nyxie had adored her brother for as long as she remembered. He had always been the one to step in if his father was too angry at her, the one who patched her up if she was hurt, and the one who picked her up when she fell. Once, when she had been bullied by four of the travellers’ kids, he had tended to her wounds, and told her to go and play in the garden. A few hours later, he came back, bruised and bloodied. He told her that it was from working, and she accepted that explanation. She didn’t realize what had happened until the next day, when she passed the healer’s house and saw the four boys. One nearly had most of his teeth knocked out, one had a broken collarbone, one had a broken nose, and the leader of the gang was bedridden for a month. If I may give a suggestion, I'd use simple pasts here (adored, was, etc) because you're telling a tale.

After that incident, she started to train herself with a boomerang that a traveller had given her family in return for shelter. Her brother had commented that by only training with the boomerang, she would be at a disadvantage should the fight become close and personal. After pondering over that nugget of wisdom, she concluded that he was right and also started to train with a dagger. She became quite proficient with them.   

Growing up, she found that she never liked the way that she always had to wear that dratted robe. It was so hot underneath it. Nyxthia never understood the concept of keeping her skin white. She thinks that if the Fae were as beautiful, understanding and kind as she was brought up to believe, the Fae they would allow them to be different, and not force them to rot underneath heavy robes.

She was about 9 when she first took off her robe in bright sunlight. It was a hot day, she was sweating buckets, she just had a big fight with her parents and her feet hurt.  So, something in her finally snapped. She ran to a deserted area away from sight, and ripped off her robe. Finally letting her skin see the sun felt really good, so she continued to bask in the Sun’s rays until her brother came up the street. With a horrified gasp, he scooped up young Nyxthia and dragged her behind a tower of crates. “What are you doing? You’ll be beaten up badly if Father finds out! ” Nyxthia replied, “I’m doing what I think the Fae wants.” At his quizzical look, she elaborated. “I’m thinking that ‘cuz the Fae are so mag-nay-mous an’ all, they wouldn’t want me to sweat so much under a robe. So I took it off!” Avitus gave her an incredulous look and said sternly, “Nyxie, NEVER do this again. If Father finds out, no matter how much Mother and I try to protect you, you’ll still be hurt badly by him.”

She continued doing this (in secret, of course) and her skin gradually grew tanner. Although at first, she had burnt, she still enjoyed the thrill of not being found out, until her father noticed and remarked upon it during dinner once. “Nyxie, your skin seems dark, darker than ours. What have you been doing?” Nyxthia panicked, and it must have shown slightly on her face because her brother came to her rescue. “Father, it’s just the firelight. She’s been this colour since she was born.” Her father seemed to accept the explanation, and continued with dinner. It was a close shave, and although she stopped doing it for a while, after the shock wore off, she fell back to her habit.

When she was 10, her mother gave birth to a baby boy, Dalmis. At first, Nyxie hated him because she wasn’t the baby of the family anymore, and everyone (especially her brother) seemed to care more about him than Nyxie. She resented that. Until one day, she was sitting inside, patching up one of her robes, when Dalmis started to cry for no reason. Her mother had gone on an errand, and her father was out working, so there was no one at home but her, Avitus, and Dalmis. Avitus picked Dalmis up and started to rock him gently, even singing. Dalmis continued crying, even with the continued rocking. Nyxie, frustrated, snatched the boy and started crooning a lullaby. To her surprise, he immediately calmed down. “Nice work, Nyxie. He must like you,” Avitus smiled, ruffling her hair. Hmm… she thought to herself. Maybe the baby isn’t that bad after all.

She led a few more relatively peaceful years, until she became turned fourteen. In the four years, two became three; the group that was once “my brother and I” grew to “my brother and I, with the squrit squirt”. Although she still was regularly beaten by her father, the time without her father passed in bliss. Why did I say "until"? Because, in her fourteenth year, her world fell apart.In your fourteenth year, you're still thirteen years old. Just so you know ;)
~
“No! Father, you can’t send Dalmis to the Fae; he’ll never return!” she cried, clinging on to her father’s arm. “Shut up, you insolent girl! How dare you try to tell me what I should do!” her father shouted back, giving her a resounding slap on her cheek. Nyxthia fell to the floor, cheek stinging. Ignoring the pain, she jumped up and tried reasoning once more. “Please! He’s your son! You always wanted sons, why sacrifice him?”

“It is not sacrificing, you useless girl! It is a great honour to go into the void! I am proud that my son has been chosen.”

“I am not useless! I’ve topped my class since I was five! How can you say such a thing? Fine, forget about me, how about him? He’s an innocent, and it’s unthinkable to send a child into the Void! Who knows what’s in there!”

“The Fae’s are in there! They’ll protect him! It’s a great honour and privilege!”

At this, Nyxthia realized that she would never change his mind. A single, translucent tear slid down her smooth cheek as she turned away from the monster she called “father”. “It’s savage,” she whispered as she flung open the door and ran into the dying light. The brown tents faded into a blur, partly by her speed, and partly by the tears welling up, streaking down her face.
~
For the next week, nothing could pull Nyxthia from the gloomy moods she had fallen into. She had many sudden fits of sadness. In one of her fits of depression, she even contemplated throwing herself into the Void after him. The only time she was happy, was when she was with Dalmis. Always, she had cherished every moment she spent with him, but now, she held every second close to her heart. The times when she could see him after his preparation, she smiled and joked with him, keeping her true feelings hidden from him, as he seemed so happy at being chosen. At Every night, however, she cried herself to sleep daily.

One the day itself, she woke, dreading the hours that would come. She didn’t participate in the merrymaking. Every second that passed was another spear piercing into her heart. In what seemed like forever, the procession finally reached the Void. While the Ma’drea spoke the ritual lines, tears started to well up unbidden. Avitus, who was beside her, put a protective arm around her. As the Ma’drea solemly recited the final line, Nyxthia abandoned all restraint and started to sob quietly into Avitus’s shoulder. Suddenly, determination surged in her. She would see Dalmis off; she would not let her last memory of him be tainted by the ceremony! Raising a tear-stained face, Nyxthia bravely gazed at the retreating back of her brother, silently praying that whatever power was in the Void would take care of him.

When they finally arrived back at the city, and all have returned to their tents, her father finally blew his top. “Why do you always embarrass me? Your brother deserved a true sending off, yet in front of the whole city, you cry like a baby!“ her father yelled at her, delivering a sound slap on her face. Grabbing her arm roughly, he shoved her into the closet, locking the door after her. “You will stay there until you apologise for your rudeness and disrespect! No food or water either!“

But by then, the blow of losing Dalmis had made her numb. She cared not what would happen to her; she could rot in the closet for all she cared! Twenty four hours later, however, the hunger pangs awoke her survival instincts, and with her survival instincts, came her claustrophobia. She banged on the door, screaming to be let out, but the only answer was an angry voice demanding an apology. Her pride would not allow her to apologise, so she was confined to that closet for another day, until her brother came to her rescue.

“Nyxie! Here,“ Avitus murmured as he quietly unlocked the closet door. “Food!“ Nyxthia whispered, spying the edibles stacked in a neat pile beside her brother. I think water would be more welcome when you've just been locked three days in the Aeruillin heat. A person can only live up to three days without water, so she'd be closer to dehydration than to starvation. She tried to stand up, but lack off nutrition caused her to stumble. Avitus caught her with a little groan. “Damn, you’ve grown thin,“ he swore quietly as he ran a hand down her arm. By this time, Nyxthia was quietly scarfing down the food. The food tasted like heaven, the water, the elixer of life. When you haven't eaten for a long time, you have to be careful and not eat too quickly, or you'll get a terrible stomach-ache. You should eat in small bites, not scarf it down.

After, she lay on her back, staring at the slanted roof of her tent. Presently, she spoke. “I can’t take this, Tusky. I really can’t. The constant hard looks, the punishments... the only thing that made it bearble was you and Squrit, but he’s gone, and you’re eighteen now. You’ll want to start a family with Shanti, do you not? If you leave, I won’t be able to handle.“ Avitus looked at her with shocked eyes. “I know I may seem mad, but I’m planning to run away. Tonight.“ Nyxthia sat up, violet eyes searching Avitus’s face. A myraid of emotions flitted across his face, disbelief, shock, fear, then resignment. He gave a soft sigh.

“I know you, Nyxie. You’ve always been adventurous, a rebel, especially to Father.“ At this he gave a bitter laugh. “Father... it seems like he’s the root of all our problems. I will never have the courage to stand up to him like you do, but I’ve secretly admired your spunk at dealing with him.“ He stood up and padded into his tent. A few minutes later, he came out, holding a small bag. He placed the bag in front of her. “Here. I’ve packed a few clothes, a sewing kit, and some money. And food, mainly fruits.“ He gently pulled Nyxthia to her feet, and both quietly left their tent, silent as the night.

At the stables, he saddled his horse, Eros. With a sad smile, he placed Ero’s reins in her hands. “He knows the way back,“ was all he said. Touched, Nyxthia threw her arms around him and held on tightly. He returned the hug gently. He pushed her away and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. He helped her mount Eros. As she bade him a teary farewell, he suddenly ripped off his pendent pendant. Pressing it into her hand, he said softly, “Go now, little sister, and may the Fae be with you, for with my pendent same comment ^.^, I always will.“

With that, she galloped out into the wide open world.

When she reached Shan’Zarathan, she dismounted Eros and pointed him in the direction of Hjoreh. “Go, bring my wellbeing to my brother.“ As if her he knew what she was talking about, he nodded and galloped off into whence they came. She prowled Shan’Zarathan for a few days, before suddenly hearing a scream from a deserted alley. Her boomerang out in her hand, she sprinted down the alley, and was greeted with the sight of a young boy, who had a gaping wound. He was being shielded by his mother from a mugger, although that didn’t seem very effective. Deft fingers flicked the boomerang, and by sheer luck, it sailed through the air and sliced the mugger’s throat clean open. Her footsteps quick, she ran over to the mother and son. Unfortunately, the knife wound the mugger gave him was fatal. With his dying breath, he beckoned Nyxthia closer.

Without a word, he pressed his Zarathian dagger into her hand. “For saving my mother,“ That's not without a word :P he murmured, before Qurpur Queprur. The Hjoria don't believe in the twelve, so she'd probably think something like 'the Fae took him' I thinkclaimed him. Shaken, she wanted to return the dagger to his mother, but she just pushed it back to her saying that her son wanted her to have it, so she should. As an added thank-you, she also gave Nyxthia some money for her passage off the island. After attending the boy’s funeral, Nyxthia bought a one way ticket to Southern Sarvonia. From there on, she took a few years, mainly 3, to just travel. From there on, she travelled for about three years.

It was around her 2nd year wandering when she found that maps were in high demand. At first, she had drawn maps for her to find her own way, but one day, a merchant spied her drawing and offered a considerable amount of money if she would draw a map to Voldar. Having been there before, she complied, and promptly received a sum of money in return. It was then she realised that mapmaking was a sad little market, yet highly lucrative. From then on, she decided that mapmaking would be her official occupation.

In her 18th year, she was travelling in the Shaded forest when she met Glacier. She was camping out in the forest, and she was about to turn in when she saw a bear running out of the bushes. Immediately, she went for her boomerang, but he ignored her, and ran for her fruits. Nyxthia went on instinct; she upended her whole pack of fruits in front of the bear, and it started to feast. Chuckling to herself, she went to bed after making a hammock in the above trees.

The next day, the bear was still following her. It kept following her no matter what she did, and she finally gave up trying to get rid of him. She named him Glacier, just to be contrary. 

Since then, she has travelled widely with Glacier and met many people, although she usually returns to Southern Sarovnia.

Weapons: Her weapons of choice are the boomerang for ranged attack, and a Zarathian Dagger to finish them off Dagger for close combat. She gained the boomerang from a traveller as payment for shelter, and the dagger was given to her by a grieving mother.   

Belongings: She has only the clothes on her back and a few changes of clothing in a bag. She has a bit of savings from her maps, but she only uses them when needed. She has parchment, ink and quill for drawing, and her weapons. Around her neck, she has her brother’s pendent You know my comment on the previous word ;). It is her good luck charm, a reminder of the home she left, and the brother who still loves her. It is her most prized posession.

Familiar: Argothin Bear named Glacier. She has grown fond of the bear, and he has traveled with her for over 3 years now. He looks like the typical Argothin Bear, with black fur, tusks, the whole package. It seems like his almond-hued eyes has have a permanent sparkle of intelligence, and Nyxthia's life has been saved by his strong claws many a time. Even Nyxthia has no idea why he had followed her; she's just happy that she now has someone to share her travels with. You need to add this as a strength. Not everyone has a bear to protect them ;)

All right, that's it for now. Like I said, you should be close to titling :)

Simonne

Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:53 PM »

Thank you, Simonne!  grin I've done the edits like you've said, and made it clearer that she was locked up quite frequently. I added Glacier as a strength and split up the claustrophobia and cleithrophobia because I'm a freak for equal S&Ws. Spelling and grammar done and the younger brother things done. Changed the title. I quite like the word "regenade" actually.

Anything else I need?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:44:26 PM by Nyxthia Calfuray » Logged

Simonne Miller
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »

Just two grammatical things you left: In her personality when talking about her father, you say that 'this will lead' to her being rebellious. But she's not with her father anymore, so this should be in the past 'it led her'. You could add that it's still the case now whenever she meets someone who likes commanding (like you specified in your S&W)

And you left 'The Fae's in there' in your history, which should be 'The Fae are in there'.

I'll give you my approval when you changed those two things :)
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Yup, got those now. Thanks, Simonne!  :D

Simonne Miller
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »

ok, here's your first approval :)
Congratulations on a character well done!
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »

Thanks, Sim! hug

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »

You have my approval and a title. Congrats hun ^.^

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]