Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Feedback wanted for IRC suggestion  (Read 4691 times)
Abigail Nightwatch
New Santharian

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 02:50:22 AM »

To clarify what I'd mentioned about no 1-5 liners, what I had meant to put across was we dont want to see any of this;
:: enters::

:: sits down::

::shoots arrow::

:: stabs rat::

I agree with most of you in that we definately do not want whole paragraphs, but we do want people to be descriptive in what they are doing. Consider this instead;

:: Abby pushes open the strong wodden door to the tavern and steps in, her stride light and carefree::

:: Making her way to the bar she takes a seat, looking over the selection of wines while the barkeep tends to another customer::

These have all been great ideas and awesome input. One question, who ends up deciding whether or not we can do this?

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 04:03:22 AM »

To answer your question Abigail:

The Administration will make a final decision, after a decent preiod of time whereby other players have had a chance to voice their opinions and suggestions on this idea, whether this is feasible and viable :)

In general, some of our greater considerations are:
-- how will this idea work
-- does it add to/enhance the RPing experience for the members of this board
-- what are the pros and cons, challenges and benefits of implementing this idea
-- if this idea requires dedicated player participant, are there volunteers to ensure that the idea is implemented smoothly and successfully

You seem to have generated a fair amount of discussion Abigail, and that's a good thing :)  The Admins are discussing and exploring the idea amongst ourselves, and we will soon reach upon a decision based upon input from members of the board :)  

Luca the Thief
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 09:25:22 AM »

Well, I have to admit, I personaly prefer paragraphs to liners (though I do bop back and forth, especially in converastion) but I'm sure nobody wants something like, oh say, this (Awesome comic, although discontinued)

Contact me: faye_004@yahoo.ca or all us admins: rpg@santharia.com

Grunok the Exile
Seeker
Approved Character

Male Losh-Oc Orc

Homepage
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »

Mwahahaha! Goths rule! *cough* Sorry, I thought I'd grown out of that...

EDIT: Thought it might make more sense it I mentioned this was re Luca's link  :)  

Grunok's CD

Edited by: Grunok the Exile at: 7/15/05 3:32

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 09:19:22 PM »

Man, must be discontinued, I couldn't even open it.

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 11:40:22 AM »

What, Gar?

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 02:26:22 AM »

Umm...I will assume that what was for the Broken Dagger, that may have been a place only me and Luci RP'ed together.  Though I do remeber the times us three rp'ed together.

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 02:37:22 AM »

I never RPed at Broken Dagger, although you and Luci might have.

You, me, and her did a few RP chat sessions on MSN, that weren't part of that Broken Dagger thing she did normally, if you remember.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »

Ah yes, the MSN group sessions, I should still have a few of those logs on my old computer, if it hasn't got a memory wipe since then.

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2005, 03:32:22 AM »

Hmmm ... so, are you still able to commit the amount of time that you've mentioned before to this real-time RPing irc chatroom should we decide to give the green light for it for a trial run, Abigail?

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 06:00:22 AM »

I myself can aid Abigail if so needed.

Barret Nightwatch
New Santharian

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 08:08:22 AM »

I can most certainly try if we'd like to give it a trial run. I am in the military so I do stay busy IRL at times, but I'd like to try. If you are leaning towards 24 7 monitoring, I do know I will most defienatly not be able to do that. I guess my answer sort of depends on the method which you decide to run this. Of course, Gar, any help is appreciated. ;)  

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 04:33:22 AM »

I never have played a real-time chat-rpg, so I can‘t say, if it will end in chaos or not, though I can‘t imagine, how it will work. Do you have to wait till all other five members currently playing have posted, each one with 10 lines? (I can imagine up to three, but not more) You can‘t read and write at the same time, you want to say something, but this is obsolete, because somebody else answered already?

Creating a new channel is easy, but how do you want to restrict it to titled Santharian members? You have to have a pass then, be registered with your name and validated(?) with email. Then the easy Gararion-website access is not possible.

I doubt, that you will find enough people, even not for a restricted span of time, during which more people are in the channel.

You can always try it out with creating a temporary channel in the current IRC, just take a few people in the new room. maybe decision about a permanent new RPG-chat channel is easier then - or it dies before it has started ;)  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »

Quote:
I never have played a real-time chat-rpg, so I can‘t say, if it will end in chaos or not, though I can‘t imagine, how it will work. Do you have to wait till all other five members currently playing have posted, each one with 10 lines? (I can imagine up to three, but not more) You can‘t read and write at the same time, you want to say something, but this is obsolete, because somebody else answered already?
 All depends on the style you wish to play.  In the Broken Dagger one I played with Luci in, there was at any time 20+ people in there.  But these 20+ people weren't all roleplaying together.  Each table or area was chatting amoung themselves.  If the players wished to have a 'private' roleplay session, they would enter their own channel or do it over PM.  Example, wishpering into anothers ears.

When I played with Dasson and Luci over MSN, the way we did it was in two MSN groups(channels when looking ta IRC).  One was used for OOC messages, the other for game messages only.  In the game group, each player would post in turn.  We limit the number of consective posts a person could make to 2-3 I believe, as we often made long detailed 'posts'.

As for the messages becoming obsolete, the last method mentioned has it advantages over the first one.  Often, when making your post, you'd end it in with something theother players could respond to.  Also, if another player forgot something or wished to say something in response to the other player who responded to the event at hand, s/he could mention so in the OOC Group(channel), asking if s/he could make a post before another player, often agreed to as it would enable theother players more to reply to.

In the Broken Dagger example, it often required fast typing as well as reading while you type.  Though people who are playing in small 'table area' groups, often work in the same method as the MSN example.  The only problem you would run into would be replying to events that you may 'catch out of the corner of your eye'(at another 'table').  Usually, the way you would let the players involved in that group would be a quick short post, somethign along the lines of: /me snaps his head in the direction of the commotion.

Quote:
Creating a new channel is easy, but how do you want to restrict it to titled Santharian members? You have to have a pass then, be registered with your name and validated(?) with email. Then the easy Gararion-website access is not possible.
 Well, there is two ways of doing this.  You can either make the channel a pasword required channel, like you had mentioned or you could make the channel a moderated channel.  Let me explain the differences.

A password channel would require people to enter a password before entering.  This is called a key channel mode.  To enter the channel, they would need to enter: /join #channelname password  The down side to this method is, anyone who guesses the password, or given it, can enter and begin playing.

The moderated channel method is another channel mode, though it works differently.  This method allows anyoen to enter the channel, but only those given permission to speak may speak.  Permission can be granted granted by the IRC bot, or by actual moderators.  This will allow anyone to enter, watch people play and perhaps gain interest in Santharia and go and create a character to play with.

As well, both mmethod will allow the Gararion-website access to work, as you need to /join a channel before you an talk, and the bot/moderator/chanserv can grant you permission to speak.

Quote:
I doubt, that you will find enough people, even not for a restricted span of time, during which more people are in the channel.
 This could be one drawback, but you don't always need a whole lot of people to start a small roleplaying session. I've rolepalyed with one other person to twenty other people, both with the same experiance.

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 11:47:22 PM »

another possibility is to make the people in the channel wait their turn.
Everybody doesn't post before his turn reducing more chaos.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]