Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Feedback wanted for IRC suggestion  (Read 4701 times)
Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 05:58:22 AM »

That is basically the MSN group example.  Each player posts in turn and if a certain player wishes to post before his/her turn, they ask the other players if that is okay.

Luca the Thief
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 06:28:22 AM »

When I played it was all kind of common sense. You write your response to whatever happens, but if somebody takes your spot first, you back off and delete what you've written. It could be a bit frustrating if you're a slow typer....

But I'm not :biggrin  

Contact me: faye_004@yahoo.ca or all us admins: rpg@santharia.com

Mac the Slayer
New Santharian

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 09:54:22 PM »

Hey guys,

Thought I'd throw in my two san's worth...

I found a site two nights ago (Lyran Tal) where they play a medieval fantasy RP thru an AIM chatroom. No written character history etc. is required, just have these things in mind (in fact I didn't even set up an account, just clicked the AIM link and was in there.)

As they recommended, I only observed the first night and there was prolly 5 or 6 players posting. It looked like fun, so I started posting last night as there was only one person in the room when I arrived.

This went great, and a few minutes later a third person joined. Still was going great and having fun...for a while.

Iin the space of about 5 or 10 minutes, 6 or 8 other folks joined, and it went from being "relaxing fun" to more like trying to meet a quota on a fast moving assembly line.

I'm a fairly fast reader (most paperbacks last about 2 hrs), but not so good at typing (maybe 25-30 wpm on a good day), although typing wasn't the problem so much as trying to create a coherent thought before the page scrolled out of sight. Faster typists would have an obvious advantage though.

A deep story line becomes pretty much impossible IMO, and part of many posts require a note as to who the reply is addressed to unless it's just thrown out into the group. The whole thing becomes sort of a medieval chat room, except you must describe your actions as well (::chuckles::, ::takes a drink::, ::addresses Mr. X:: etc.).

Everyone was really nice and stayed in character (a tavern setting) and included me in the scenario, but it just became more work than fun on my part. If you're the kind of person that talks on the phone and watches TV while performing calculus and solving crossword puzzles, this might be just what you're looking for. ;)

My main concern for Santharia is that the play by post story boards  might suffer, because there is an "instant gratification" factor involved by doing anything in realtime. And I'd guess the best writers (lol, and typists) will be the ones most likely to enjoy this, and find themselves spending less time on "play by post".

And then there's the whole thing of moderating and being able to kick idiots as needed...

Still, I'm intrigued as to what you guys would create. Santheria is a class act IMO, and if you continue with this idea, I'm sure it will be as well. ;)

Cheers, Mac :)  

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2005, 09:30:22 AM »

Kicking of idoits...well...seeing if we went with the moderated option, which is the way I'd like to go, I would hope that we wouldn't get too many idoits, as the players would have tooken the time to create a CD which will likely mean that they will be dedicated and interested players.  But if need be, the mods, or certain players given access to the kick command that I will work into the bot, can remove any players and their ability to speak (in IRC terms this is called Voice).

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2005, 05:24:22 PM »

Quote:
My main concern for Santharia is that the play by post story boards might suffer, because there is an "instant gratification" factor involved by doing anything in realtime. And I'd guess the best writers (lol, and typists) will be the ones most likely to enjoy this, and find themselves spending less time on "play by post".

Yup, definately.

IMO it's *much* funner than play-by-post, and it is much, much faster. Fact is, I tend to spend about 6 hours a day on chat-style RP, just straight RPing. I'm sure that's quite a bit more lucrative than typing out a post on Santharia, waiting half a week, and then replying.

In one 6 hour session of RP on a chat program, one can cover nearly a month of play-by-post RP.

My time here severly dampened when I joined a large RP community that RPs regularly on the game Star Wars Galaxies. Ask the people over at Thalambath's Heart just how slow I had come to posting.

I've since quit SWG though, hence why I'm around here more often now... though I do run an IRC Vampire: The Masquerade game, but we have scheduled sessions rather than just whoever shows up starts RPing. :)

*rambles and rambles and rambles*

I'm done.

It probably will slow down the PbP though, if it takes off well enough. And it is funner to RP, IMO, but that might not be everyone's piece of cake.

Big thing to note about when RPing with multiple people: JUST worry yourself about who you're directly RPing with. Ignore everyone else in the room. If something big enough happens on the other side of the room, you'll probably notice, but otherwise, you probably won't, just like a real life conversation.. you only care about who you're talking to, no one else.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Luca the Thief
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 11:42:22 AM »

I also agree that it would limit the PbP aspect of Santharia, in addition we'd have people coming in and making characters just for the chat. It is of course a personal preference, but I actually prefer the play by post. It seems a lot more organized, with more room for OOC planning and more elaborate plots. Plus, there is more room for writing development in the idea of skill when you're not rushed by impatient players.

Still, do we have enough player interest?

Contact me: faye_004@yahoo.ca or all us admins: rpg@santharia.com

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 11:46:22 AM »

Same amount of organization can go into chat RP.

As I've said earlier, I run a chat-based RP thing.

We don't have it everyday, and have set times and hours. In the downtime, I plan out what's going to happen in the next session, and so on.

There's actually *more* planning involved if you RP it out as a controlled story form (rather than freeform whoever comes on at whatever time just RPs), as you have every session of RP planned out as much as possible to make sure there are enough things to carry the story forwards.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 09:40:22 PM »

Hmm, I will surely come and try it out sometime - if it is running, but as I see - I'm not typing too fast - and I surely will miss the words I need or type them desprately wrong. I always do a spellcheck for my pbp. It depends a bit, how much time you have. don't know, if it would take so much time away from the bpb. Doesn't it become boring after some time as well? 'you can't go into depths like in the bpb, when you have more time.

don't know!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 05:13:22 AM »

It all depends on the type of things you do.  If you do a totally free form thing, then it may, but perhaps people will gather and start their own story over IRC, then you'd get into as much depth as any PbP story and the pace would be faster, thus reducing the possibilities that a stopry will die out before it ends.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]