Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ulvur: Should they be accepted?  (Read 1108 times)
Beist Jammern
New Santharian

« on: December 14, 2005, 09:51:22 AM »

Do you think Ulvur should be accepted as a playable race?

My reasons in thinking so.

-Ulvur are not overpowered, since they have charactoristics of werewolves, you could also have them weak to silver, wolfsbane, etc...

-There is more information on Ulvur then there are some of the main races.  If this race is Myth, how do we know thier language, tribe names, or even there diet?

-How are Ulvur a "mistake?" (refer to Terra Artemos) I know the Santharia Team is better than that, and Ulvur existence could be proven by the Cyhallrhim Elves, as they do trade with them.

Reply your responses please.

"Release the Beist Within"

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »

Hello Beist,

The CD forum is a place for posting CDs for approval. Your discussion topic should have been posted either in the Roleplaying Web Design forum. As such, after 24 hours, this thread will be moved to the Roleplaying Web Design forum. Please take note :)  

Pikel Thunderstone
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »

Hello Beist,

You should realize that santharia is not an RPG based website, instead, it concentrates more on the world creation aspect (the development board). The RPG merely follows what the dev board comes up with. Obviousely, someone decided to develop the Ulvur, while people have yet to decide to devlop some of the otehr tribes and races to that extent, but they were still Developed as a MYTHOLOGICAL race. There is no proof of their existence.

Physical beauty is inextricably bound to Spiritual Beauty. If you are lacking in Spiritual Beauty, then you are lacking in Physical beauty. If you are overflowing with spiritual beauty, then you are also overflowing in physical beauty. At least in MY messed up eyes.   -Derek Coulter

Muryllis
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:35:22 PM »

From what I've heard, they were actually created as a playable race, and then set to "mythical" because of unbalances and the like...

But that's beside the point :)  

Neiavrine
Sinister Beauty
Approved Character

Orc, Chyrakisth

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »

only if you put allot of work into santh is there any chance of you gettin the ban moved to a very strict restiction, and even then the chances are slight at best. I suggest looking at other races, or being some kind of a beast master. The ulvur were taken out because the devs did not want 1 santh to be controlled by rp intrests 2 for santh to become some monster werewolf vampire kinda place... and 3 because they are too powerfull.

I am not sure wolf's bane exists. and im not sure if silver is good against the ulvur. Just because they are like were wolves does not mean that they are.

She is suddenly a whirlwind of graceful death. Where there was once a steel monolith, there is now an eruption of violence and wrath. Her singing blades rend the stale air with their battle cries, as sirens they call to those who dare stand before her. Her blood is molten hate, and it churns in her veins like the rage of the gods. There is no mercy, there is no forgiveness, there is only salvation through shed blood. Fountains of sand meet her every movement, dance beside her as a partner to her power. Ne'iav'rine's prowess seems almost supernatural; as if even the earth applauded her ability with a display of divine preportions.

-Ne'iav'rine
Erián'melór
The Shadow of Death
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 03:24:22 AM »

- The Ulvur are not banned due to them being overpowered. There are a few races even stronger (trolls and ogres) that are allowed to be played. An Ulvur character would be hard to balance, but it is possible.

- All of that information is known through myths and tales of the Ulvur. Knowing such details about them does not prove their existence.

- I personally don't understand how any race could be considered as a "mistake". I can understand if a smaller entry (beast, plant, artifact, etc...) was a mistake for whatever reason, but a race does not become approved without being viewed by several devvies. I wasn't here, so I don't know.

Basically, the reason you cannot play an Ulvur is that they are mythical and for one to be wandering around Santharia would prove their existence. The ban will not be removed, no matter how experienced a player you become. Next, you'll say that you want to ride a unicorn!:lol  

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.

J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Hobbit"

Edited by: Erian Melor at: 12/14/05 19:26
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:14:22 PM »

If I remember correctly, the Ulvur were originally created by one of our artists, Isilhir, for his own world-building project.  However, Arti saw one of the pictures he drew of them, and liked it a lot, so he somehow managed to persuade Isilhir to find some way to fit them into Caelereth as well.  Due to certain problems with that (shapeshifting being a completely impossible thing in Caelereth, for one), they were made into mythical things---plenty of stories about them and rumours of something like that existing, but nothing even remotely close to proof.  The excessive amount of information we have about them is probably due to the dev people then not being thorough enough when adapting the race to this world.  

Also, as Neiavrine said, the Ulvur are not werewolves, despite their similar appearances.  We don't have werewolves here.  

Beist Jammern
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 03:47:22 PM »

Yeah i guess i get your point, sorry bout makin a big fiasco of it, and thanks for being patient with a newb

"Release the Beist Within"

Nsikigan Yourth
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:36:23 AM »

I say remove them from mythological staus. Im not saying make them PC playable, but they should be NPC playable. (If that made sense)

Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »

That wouldn't change anything Nsiki... if they can be an NPC then why not a PC? It still proves their existence... I was so ready to make an Ulvur when I first came here, so this is very hard for me, but after becoming more comfortable in Santharia, especially on the dev board... I have to agree with the ban put on the Ulvur.

But, them being mythological won't stop me from writing a story for the Santh library on them;)  

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Luca the Thief
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »

And again, please don't bring up old threads.

Contact me: faye_004@yahoo.ca or all us admins: rpg@santharia.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]