Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Chán'vai Myth  (Read 12092 times)
Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« on: March 05, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »

Cherri and I have been working on this idea for a while now and the Chán'vai will be added to the site on the next upload, I thought it was time that we submitted our proposal so that we can hopefully get started soon after the upload is complete.

Idea

After becoming acquainted in the Thirsty Herald, just outside the city of Strata, Cherri and Dagon agree to begin a journey to the magical city of Elving where Cherri will show Dagon where she has been educated in her magical abilities. After acquiring a guide the two begin their journey to Elving. During their trek, various other parties join to accompany them as they all share a common destination: Elving, and the idea of strength in numbers for this long trek sounds comforting.

The size of the party becomes even more comforting when the group notices some unusual phenomena’s occurring during their journey. Fearing their is some dark cause, or source, for these occurrences, the party agrees to visit the Magi Council in Elving to hopefully gain some answers, or at least alert the Magi of the odd events occurring throughout Santharia.

Upon their arrival in Elving, Cherri, Dagon and the others find The Twin Towers to be entirely deserted. Initially believed to be a possible attack is dismissed with the absence of bodies, but nevertheless, the disappearance of the Magi is a large concern. Cherri and Dagon, and some of the party agree to adjust their journey in order to resolve this mystery. Are the Magi aware of the dangers building in Southern Sarvonia, or has the same dark power taken all the Magi in Elving captive, possibly eliminating the one force that stands in the way of whatever it hopes to achieve.

One problem quickly arises, where can they look? They have no leads. The night after they depart from Elving, unsure of what direction to take – Cherri has another dream. To this point she was unsure of their meaning, but they give her a lead with little proof, but it is all they have. The dream leads them to Rimmerins Ring, the territory of the Baal Ogres – but most disturbing of all in Cherri’s dreams is the presence of a Mage, cloaked in black, conjuring a spell of catastrophic proportions.

It becomes known that the mage has removed the most powerful magi from Elving in hopes of scouring the Twin Towers for the mythological artifact, the Chán'vai. With this artifcact, the holder wields incredible power and the ability to wreak havoc throughout the world of Caelereth.

Dramatic Personae

Dagon – Dark Elf Warrior
Cherri – Elven Mage
- Guide (PC or NPC)
- Party Member
- Party Member
- And more...

New Players
Once the story begins new players can be admitted at any time. The opportunity arises upon our arrival in Elving or even during our journey between the Thirsty Herald and Elving as well as from Elving to wherever the Magi have been taken (or fled to). A common goal is the opportunity – to unravel this mystery.

Co-Mod
Cherri, of course, will be my Co-Mod for this story.

Contact Info
If there are any questions, queries or concerns you can reach me at the.seraphim@hotmail.com or Cherri at cherr4ever9978@hotmail.com  

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »

Please make sure you read here for all the rules and such for Story Development if you have not already.

And I am not sure about getting this up and running by the next update as we are fairly strict about the integration of new stories and the reliability of the proposed moderators.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »

I merely mentioned the Chán'vai is going up next update because for those who don't visit the dev board frequently may think the Chán'vai doesn't exist :)

Cherri and I both understand the time it will take to approve this story and get it up and running. We just thought it was better to make sure that our main artifact was approved by the dev board mods and admins before proceeding too far with the idea.

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Jake Foiros
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 07:27:23 AM »

if it gets up and runnin, count me in! (as soon as i am approved).

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 06:46:23 AM »

Dagon, both of you have not enough roleplaying experience so far. So you need to practice a bit more. Look at Luca's thread on top of this forum.

Quote:
1. Experience It is a general rule of thumb that story mods should have  three months of continuous Santharia RPG board experience. This is not only to ensure that you know enough of how the board itself is run and about the site information itself, but also to give us a little piece of mind that you won’t vanish on us three weeks into the story because you got bored.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 3/5/06 22:48
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:06:23 AM »

How do you plan to get to Elving? Which way?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:41:23 AM »

Cherri mentioned that during our RP in the Thirsty Herald *ponders* Oh... I should remember... I'm pretty sure it was just going to be a long walk, which was why we need a guide... *shrugs*

Cherri? Explain maybe? :b  

As for experience... "officially" from the date that I was titled... the 26th of March will be my 3rd month on the RP board. Generally, I was assuming that this story wouldn't be approved for a while, nor is there any real need to rush into things. I merely hoped to submit our idea and work out all the kinks so that when Cherri and I are ready to run our own story, the story will be ready for us :)  

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Edited by: Dagon Fai Ur at: 3/6/06 20:44
ratdragon
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 02:20:23 AM »

If you get this approved, I'll glady join!

Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »

Okay, this idea is again ready to be looked at by the admins. I do have the minimum requirements of activity, and hopefully my participation on the dev board is a reassurance to anyone who has any doubts :)

As for the questions earlier asked. I will try and get in touch with Cherri and point her in the direction of this thread. Again, she was the one who planned out the route and that. I developed the artifact and we both did the story so... this is her area of expertise :)  

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Cherri Rowandyn
Elemental Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim / Ylfferhim / Sanhorrhim

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:09:23 AM »

Ta dah!!  Okay so much for a grand entrance.  Sorry I am late, RL gets in the way sometimes.

Okay first off how we are getting there.

I thought that we would trek (and I am only going to name the places on the map and not go into a alot of detail.  If you want to know where it is look on the map like I had to :b  ) through the Yar' Dangs (which we will need a guide.  Someone already volunteered a while back and said just to let them know) then we can take either the West approach to the Desert or the East.  Dagon and I need to discuss that one still either way the result will be the same we will end up in Bardavos up through Mehmetsh, the Sharadon Forests to Seraia then Klinsor, Marcogg before the Auturian Woods and from there to Elving.

I have read about all the above mentioned places, or at least the ones I could find and their provinces.  Not every place listed on the map is listed undera province so that you can pull details from it.  This is not something that I can help and do not think that we should be penalized for progress, but I think we have enough major cities to help bypass the minor little places that are not listed yet.  I only made mention of them so that you could get a good idea of the way we will be traveling.

As Dagon said, there is no rush with this as both of us are still RPing in the tavern and at Voldar's thread.  In the Voldar thread Capher will be extending on an idea that I mentioned to help out the plot line.  Both Dagon and I have been active in our RPing and both us of have contributed at least one thing to the Dev. site.  Dagon has done more that I have.  He is very active with new players and coming up with new ideas.  That has to count for something.  I believe I was approved in January 06 and have roughly been here for three and half months or so.  And while my life does not revolve around Santharia, I make an effort everyday to post something worth while in my RPs and when something else strikes a cord in me like my herbarum post, then I will propose the idea on the dev board.  I check periodic the dev site and see if anything interests me and if so I add my two cents worth.

You really can't ask for much more than what we are already doing.  Both Dagon and I did not expect to post an idea for a story and then get approved.  We expect that it will be months before the kinks get worked out so that it satisfies everyone, which is damn near impossible to do.

So far the cheif inquiries I saw were how will we get to Elving.  That has been explained.  Second thing is we don't warrant enough time here, okay only time will take care of that.  If three months is not enough time to be taken seriously then someone should change the requirement to say six months.  That way time will not be a factor.

What other questions mayhap can I answer next?

Personal Page
Cherri Rowandyn

Edited by: Lady Cherri at: 4/2/06 18:12

Cherri Rowandyn
Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.
Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:52:23 AM »

Very well explained Cherri :)  Thank you very much, now hopefully we'll be able to get on to actually planning out the more minor details and recruiting players.

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »

Lady Cherri, I think I have to clear up some things here concerning story mods, for you devoted a whole paragraph to it.
Contributions on the dev-board don‘t define your ability to mod a story nor have they any influence on the decision, if someone is able to mod a story. Having a lot of new ideas may help more, for you need this trait to bring your story forward. Helping out with newcomers is very appreciated, but I don‘t see, in which respect this helps to run a story. It is not so, that  those get a story to mod, who „deserve“ it, for they are very active. We see activity in role-playing as a sign, that the person in question has the time and dedication to go on with a story when the first enthusiasm is over. You say „I make an effort everyday to post something worth while in my RPs“, but that is not enough for modding a story. You need to do this AND mod it, what means, writing for one or more NPC‘s, planning in advance what should happen, write intros, summaries and what not. Co-ordinating the whole thing, write to members who don‘t post regularly , comment on posts which are not ok.  

Now to your story:
You put some work already in the plot, but generally a mere travelling story , from place to place, even with the goal to find something (the globe), is not enough to keep the story alive over a longer time and to finish it. You have already some more ideas, but they need still more elaboration, mail them to the admins, if you want to keep it secret.

I like your beginning, but two members are definitely not enough, so you should start with at least two, better three more. Eight is a good number for such groups, so not everybody has to post each day, if he/she is not addressed directly, and the story flows nevertheless.

The desert:
What do you mean with: „then we can take either the West approach to the Desert or the East. „?? Please more detail here.
Not such a good idea to travel through it, for you need a guide for the whole Rahaz Dath and I don‘t know of only one char who is actually a Shendar guide who knows all secret ways through it (normal Shendar don‘t know all routes!) . A NPC would be a solution, but he/she would be as time-consuming to play as a normal char.
In addition, the treck through the desert has one disadvantage - other new players can‘t  join, for their chars, if they are not very special , can‘t just travel into the desert and meet you. The Shendar are no touristic entertainment and very rarely lead foreigners through the desert, if they have not a good reason for it. The voyage is hard and long. The normal way would be to take the ship from Strata to Varcopas, then to Ravenport, if you want to go to Elving.  

I would like to know a bit more about these unusual things you are planning.

The next thing I feel a bit unwell with, is your description of the towers of Elving being entirely deserted. This is not a minor thing history wise, and as you are not allowed to play a king, I would prefer, if you could avoid it and come up with another idea, f.e. that just a  few important mages are gone missing.

How do you plan to end the story? With the defeat of this black mage?

Generally the idea is not bad, but you need some more smaller things to make the way towards your main goals more interesting.  

Dagon Fai Ur
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »

The actual movement from the tavern to Elving will not be soley based around the journey alone. There will be variuos confrontations with bandits, or something that will give the players a chance to have a fight... or something *shrugs* Or, if we decide to change our plans to venture to Elving by way of the sea, well... I'm sure I can think of some interesting things aboard the ships that could prove to be fun for the characters.

Did I actually say that the entire towers of Elving were deserted? I thought I specified that only the highest magi, or council of magi were missing... the most powerful magi that would ultimately be the only ones who would be able to stand against this dark sorcerer. How the dark sorcerer did that would be explained later... well, at the conclusion to the story, as most good stories have... a nice little "wrap-up".

Also, I couldn't find Ravenport on the map. But, as for the entry of additional characters. When we arrive at each stop we could briefly venture into the city, as I doubt the ship would immediately depart when we arrived. Perhaps we would stay over for a night, or so, get into a few local conflicts perhaps before venturing onward while picking up a few extra players along the way.

I do understand your skepticism as to our modding ability. But I believe Cherri was just trying to demonstrate our commitment to the dream, no our activity on the dev-board does not make us adequate story mods, nor should it influence your decision whatsoever. I simply think that what should be taken into consideration is the amount of time and effort Cherri and I have devoted over the past 3 months to Santharia. Cherri does have commitments that may deter her from being as active as she would like, having a little one and all, but I (being the 17-year old high school kid) have plenty of time to ensure that everything is taken care of.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to contradict you in any way, as you obviously have far more experience than I in Santharia. We simply are dedicated to the progression of the story that we have started in the tavern, and would very much like to have the opportunity to continue it.

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Edited by: Dagon Fai Ur at: 4/4/06 0:55
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »

Ravenport is on the Manthria map.
No stops between Thalambath and Varcopas, so you need to keep that part short.

I would like to have a more thorough layout mailed to the admins (please copy me onto it, I'm not checking admin mail daily), your plans when to use bandits etc...

Dagon, three months is nothing in experiance which counts really. (Maybe we should change this to six, Cherry is right). And everybody who is/was storymod can tell you about the frustrations which show up after some time. We want to be sure, that the story doesn't die after half a year. But that doesn't mean, that we are not willing to allow this story, but we want to see it layed out properly, so that it will run smoothly.

A note to Cherri: I don't have to look the map up, it is mostly in my head - at least these southern parts :p  

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 4/4/06 8:20
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 02:22:23 AM »

Any story mod will tell you they were unprepared, to some degree, to the time the story has lasted. Usually what happens is the plan out to a certain point and can't often go beyond that point. Not because there are a lack of people but the plotline comes to a halt and the mods lose interest because they don't know what to do next. Also, because they lacked the knowlegde and understanding of how things work when they started which resulted in poor planning.

3 months is the minimum we will allow for story mods (and I think it was set thinking about co-mods instead of actual moderators)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]