Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OOC XIV: TTH Firstflame - Day two after the fire  (Read 106278 times)
AnaMirl Goodwill
Sleeping Innkeeper
Approved Character

Human, Stratania

« on: May 24, 2006, 08:31:23 PM »

Hello to all, let me introduce myself, those who don't know me yet: I'm was the current innkeeper till I got a hit on the head after the fire and was unconscious or sleeping till now.

Because I think, Twen's post in the old is very important, I repost it here, so that it doesn't get lost too quickly!

Please Read!

The new thread is now open but I wish to post something here that all players should read. Though many players know these things it is imperative that ALL read them.

The Ten Commandments of Role Playing
Thou shalt not play God
Thou shalt not solve all the problems of the universe all by yourself.
Thou shalt add details to your writing to keep it from being boring.
Thou shalt be true to the character of your character.
Thou shalt make sense.
Thou shalt not kill other characters or decide what damage they get.
Thou shalt be patient for other characters to post.
THOU SHALT NOT WRITE IN ALL CAPS AS IT IS HIGHLY ANNOYING.
Tho shlt nat us fels spillin n gremmmer.
Thou shalt not decide thy neighbours actions, or his wife's actions, or his ox's actions....

Anyone that creates a post that steps outside of these will be asked to edit their posts, the first time. If the post is not edited or the player refuses to do so, the post will be removed as to not create an unfriendly RP environment for other players.

If you wish to make a post that might break these ideas, then post here asking the other players involved and the mods before doing so.

Though I do realize that the chaos that ensued in the previous thread of the Herald was due to my own time constraints and for those that attempted to keep a story going I give you my humble thanks.

Ana'Mirl Goodwill

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/26/06 13:02

AnaMirl Goodwill
Sleeping Innkeeper
Approved Character

Human, Stratania

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:47:23 PM »

Twen, hope you don't mind, that I reopened a new OOC.

Two questions:

Do I know you, I can't recall, if I met you already before my hit on the head  - or are you assuming, that you have been here for longer already (you wrote you made I made a dress for you). All is fine with me, but I need to know it before going on with my post.

The tense the Herald should be written in was the present tense when I run it a year ago and many times before me being the responsible person there, though I agree it is difficult to maintain this, for chars tend to post in past tense. But it was handled according to the Role Playing Tutorial and I personnaly find it more interesting to write in present tense - it is fresher somehow. I would prefer it, but it is up to all mods (not players!) to decide this. Now would be a good time to change it with just a few posts in the new chapter.
What would you like?

Maybe another title for this chapter XXIV would be more meanigful

Ana'Mirl Goodwill

Edited by: AnaMirl Goodwill at: 5/24/06 12:51

Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:28:23 AM »

Marv. had mentioned to me a few possibilities on how or why Twen would be coming to the Herald. I was going with the idea that in some point long ago, Twen and her friends had visited this place. This also explains the letter I wrote about in my firsts posts. Basically I am playing Twen as an old patron, that had stayed around for awhile and became friends with Ana. Now that Ana is sick, the elf came to the Herald in an attempt to help her along till she is back on her feet.

If none or part of this doesn't work for you, just ezmail me with some of your ideas and we can go from there.
~Sincerely~
Co f cr'tuuln:Twen Araerwen

P.S.: I myself prefer to not use words like "I" or "me" when I write, unless of course it is my journal. :)   But either way does not hinder my writing of posts. So your own preference is fine with me, I will just have to keep the tense in mind.

Afterthought: My RP experience onsite has shown me that different people prefer different tenses when they write. Since this seems to vary in the stories most players will be entering at later times, is there really a need to restrict them to a set tense? Though players should stay to one or the other throughout their posts IMHO.

XIV is the proper use of Roman Numerals. Darn those Romans! ~Goes to change the heading~ Well no need to change it as you have already got it Ana, thank you. Since I was writing those things at 2:30 AM I suppose my mind got lost along the way. ~Smiles brightly~

(`._he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ncient and u o eath_.)

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/24/06 20:28

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
AnaMirl Goodwill
Sleeping Innkeeper
Approved Character

Human, Stratania

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 07:18:23 AM »

Twen, it is fine with me  - then I know you when meeting you, that is what I wanted to know.

Well, with the tense, I don't mean writing in first person, but in third and using the present tense. (Look in the Heart) But using both in the same story is not good, in my opinion, it hinders the flow somehow.
Well, there are three mods, so we can come to an easy decision. Feel free to choose what you like best, regardless of my inclination. I prefer present tense, but if you and Marv prefer past tense, I will master it as well :)  

Ana'Mirl Goodwill

Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »

Malavon: You need to pay more attention to other players posts. As you walked up and opened the door to enter, the door was already open. The elf you went to behind the bar was standing in the doorway you just walked through. Attention to other players posts will avoid confusion.

One last thing, you can not simply know that a person is a mage by looking at them. A mage looks just like any other person on the street and can be dressed just like a common citizen. If your character becomes suspicious of someone you should roleplay that you are watching them. But outright stating you KNOW them to be a mage breaks one of the above stated rules. Thou shalt not play god. All-knowing is a god-like ability and should be avoided at all times.

I know this is your first RP experience on the site but we are all here to help you get a grasp of what things are like in a story-thread. I will ask you to make corrections to your first couple posts so that they fit the environment and rules. Bare with me my other players as I will post after Mal. gets a chance to edit his posts.
~Sincerely~
Co f cr'tuuln:Twen Araerwen

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/25/06 2:11

so orril miesefer
Sky Master
Approved Character

Elf, Injern Aellenrhim

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:43:23 PM »

... but Thorgas is easy to recognize IMHO... no every dwarf rubs sulphure in hands when an elf comes close...

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Mis'fer, Sky master.

In this world the only thing that is always true is that everything changes, moves and tears apart, to latter return in a neverending dance inspired in the movement of wind. ~ So Orril Mis'fer, Sky Tower Apprentice
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »

Obvious things like that are easily understood So Orril. But he stated that he knew Twen was one. Heck he never saw her do anything out of the ordinary ..... What would lead him to think she is a mage? Her robes? But in ancient times robes, tunics and a plethora of clothing like this was commonplace. For all he knows she could simply be a cleric of sorts or a monk of some order or simply wearing them to protect herself from Injera. He is making statements of fact to things he hasn't even attempted to investigate. Hence using knowledge that his character has no possibility of knowing. If you read back he instantly deduced every mage in the place shortly after his arrival. If he is deducing people by simply what they wear, then I will enforce that he thinks about 70% of everyone he meets is a mage. No person can determine with 100% accuracy who in a room is a mage and who is not, without even an attempt to gather evidence.

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/25/06 5:13

so orril miesefer
Sky Master
Approved Character

Elf, Injern Aellenrhim

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »

Good point... can you clarify more your last post?... no offence intended, but I found some typos that made my reading quiet bad and hardly understood something.

@ Malavon: Edit your post and state more things about the person you sat with... could be me or Twen.

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Mis'fer, Sky master.

In this world the only thing that is always true is that everything changes, moves and tears apart, to latter return in a neverending dance inspired in the movement of wind. ~ So Orril Mis'fer, Sky Tower Apprentice
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:36:23 PM »

You are correct So Orril, Malavon did sit with you but Twen positioned herself a distance from him. I will edit to make that more clear. Yes Twen gave you her breakfast for your animals. Xun posted as I was writing and since he wasn't ordering anything, Twen would of just passed by him anyhow. She does have her hands full. If you notice So Orril she served the orders in which they were asked for. First come first serve  ;)  

@Xun: Dear you need to watch your punctuation a bit. Your are ending a sentence and starting the next with lowercase letters. Slow down and read what you have written, even I am guilty of this at times. So Orril caught a few of my errors, though it was an extensive post I should of proof read it before posting.

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/25/06 10:30

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 07:43:23 PM »

On tenses: I never really think about what tense I'm writing in. I don't think about grammar in general really. Just 'going by what feels right' always seems to work best for me (to the point I stopped learning grammar stuff in school as it would only make things worse :) ). This is mostly due to TV and more precisely the subs. I could speak English before I ever learned it :D

Quote:
no every dwarf rubs sulphure in hands when an elf comes close...

Yes, but how many people know dwarves well enough to know that? And how many people even know what sulfer is? And if they do, how many of those would link it with reagents (as it has other uses)?

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

~> Click Here <~
so orril miesefer
Sky Master
Approved Character

Elf, Injern Aellenrhim

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:53:23 AM »

In the hands of someone else??? I doubut it has another use other than reagent or poison... Also the staff he carries is quiet... obvious....

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 02:13:23 AM »

The solid forms of Sulfer are pretty healthy for your skin if I'm not mistaking. And staff are pretty comon walking devices for the average traveler. And you have to keep in mind that most people never see a mage in there entire life.

~> Click Here <~

~> Click Here <~
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 04:03:23 AM »

Just a point I wanted to make about the staff, there is a reason it is listed as a weapon on the site. It was a common self-defense item for your average person. It is not hard to find a straight stick and is alot cheaper than trying to afford a weapon made of steel.

so orril miesefer
Sky Master
Approved Character

Elf, Injern Aellenrhim

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 04:41:23 AM »

Well yes Marv, but that is in a preparation, not the pure solid... Wanna see someone rubing pure sulphure in the face...

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 05:39:23 AM »

No, people actually use the solid one (as powder, not grinding a rock in your face) just like that if I'm not mistaking. It's said to be good against pimples.

~> Click Here <~

~> Click Here <~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]