Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seagorn Garrison(Nyermersis)  (Read 36142 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2007, 02:31:54 AM »

Lynch's grin turned into a frown: instead of dealing an almost fatal blow to Garret's side, Garret had twisted almost cat like and made Lynch's sword just barely graze his chest. Lynch knew that if it had been a real sword all it would have done was scratch the armor his opponent would have been wearing.

Then his grin returned when he saw Garret fall. Lynch lost no time in advancing upon his fallen opponent. Garret kicked at his legs and began rolling over. Lynch dodged the kicks and began thrusting his sword down upon the rolling boy, barely missing him with each thrust.  He became angry, which was not something you should not do, an angry man makes mistakes and he knew it as soon as one of his thrusts drove the sword into the ground and he heard a distinctive "crack" sound as his sword split when it hit the frozen ground.  The bout was over.  Lynch stood there unbelieving for a moment and then he laughed as he held out his hand toward Garret. "I have lost. But I ask for a rematch later?" he asked.

John was stunned.

Linden and Brule were laughing as they went among others and collected their winnings among the grumbling losers.

The Captain stood there for a while and then ordered, "Sgt. Lynch, recruit Garret, private's Linden and Brule and you too Private John report to me as soon as you are all cleaned up."

"Yes Sir," They all shouted.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »

As Garret rolled away he heard the sound of Lynch's sword coming down nearby and one time saw the wooden weapon come close to hitting him. He moved a bit faster, trying to get away and regain his feet, and then a loud crack rang out through the yard. Garret saw the wooden weapon drove into the frozen ground by the Sgt. and knew it had cracked. Time seemed to stand still and all movement had stopped, Lynch standing over the sword, and Garret lying on his back nearby. Then the Sgt. laughed and held out his hand toward Garret.

"I have lost. But I ask for a rematch later?" Lynch asked. Garret graciously accepted his help and replied.

"Wouldn't have it any other way, sir," Garret replied. A grin crossed his face as he looked around, Linden and Brule were walking among the others that had come to watch the match, and First Class Private John stood stunned. Garret tried to catch the man's eye and fling a grin in his direction but failed.

"Sgt. Lynch, recruit Garret, private's Linden and Brule and you too Private John report to me as soon as you are all cleaned up," the Captain ordered.

"Yes Sir," Garret said, along with the others.

He brushed the clumps of melting snow from the padding, whipping off the little bit of mud and mush it had acquired during his frantic struggle to regain his feet. After that he returned the padding and sword to where he had got them, dropping a step behind the others and he followed them.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him. Remember what it is to be alive.
Quote: Robin Hobb
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »

Lynch led the way to the barracks, John was walking next to him. Linden and Brule were a few steps behind walking on either side of Garret; both were grinning and counting the coins they had won.

"You did it Garret! I cannot believe it. You actually defeated the Sarge," Linden said excitedly.

Linden looked over at Brule, "Did you think Garret would defeat the Sarge and that quick?"

Brule shook his head and glanced at Garret out of the corner of his eye. "No, at least not that fast. But Linden Garret did..."

John twisted his head around and interrupted Brule, "Technically Garret did not defeat the Sgt. The Sgt broke his sword so recruit Garret actually did not defeat him. Did he Sarge?" John asked.

Lynch stopped and turned to John. "I am not sure why you seem so determined to defend me, Private, but if it had been a real battle with real swords, the outcome would have been the same; I would have lost, but in real battle, I would have lost my life not a little of my pride."

Lynch beamed at Garret. "I admire a man who can best me," he turned to face John "You John, almost bested me the first time we had a bout, and after a week of training, you did beat me...once. Garret here, bested me once...but he promised me a rematch. We shall see if he can do it again."

He laughed and then continued on his way to the barracks. "We should hurry and take baths, and put on clean uniforms and then get to the Captain's office, pronto! Lets move men!" He shouted as he began to run. "Last man, has to clean the water stall" 

He ran faster...
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2007, 03:57:36 AM »

Lynch and John led the way to the barracks, Brule and Linden walking along on either side of Garret. Both privates grinning and counting the coin they had one, Garret couldn't help but laugh. He had done well for himself without Shadowfoot by his side. The wolf strengthened him but he was strong by himself, and incredibly lucky. It had only been a little while but he already missed the great silver beast, they hadn't been separated for any length of time for almost a year and it felt strange to not have him at his side. He had to resist the urge to reach down for his companion.

"You did it Garret! I cannot believe it. You actually defeated the Sarge," Linden said excitedly.

"Did you think Garret would defeat the Sarge and that quick?" Linden said to Brule before Garret could get a word in.

"No, at least not that fast. But Linden Garret did . . ." Brule said.

"Technically Garret did not defeat the Sgt. The Sgt broke his sword so recruit Garret actually did not defeat him. Did he Sarge?" John asked, looking back at them.

"I am not sure why you seem so determined to defend me, Private, but if it had been a real battle with real swords, the outcome would have been the same; I would have lost, but in real battle, I would have lost my life not a little of my pride." Lynch said, having stopped and turned toward John.

"I admire a man who can best me," he looked at Garret, then turned to face John "You John, almost bested me the first time we had a bout, and after a week of training, you did beat me . . . once. Garret here, bested me once . . . but he promised me a rematch. We shall see if he can do it again."

"I was lucky this time, hopefully my luck will stick with me for next time Sgt." Garret said with a grin.

Lynch laughed and then started forward again.

"We should hurry and take baths, and put on clean uniforms and then get to the Captain's office, pronto! Let's move men!" Lynch shouted as he began to run. "Last man, has to clean the water stall." 

Lynch sped up, and Garret took off after him, not looking back to see the others. His face controlled by a grin and he moved forward. When traveling with a wolf, if you couldn't keep up you usually got left behind. A lesson Garret had learned early, when Shadowfoot had left him behind, leaving the slower human to just follow the wolf's tracks. Garret had caught up with him hours after dark, finding the great beast lounging in a clearing. Since then his speed and endurance have increased. Now he put his speed to use, keeping up with the others while staying away from the back. As the barracks came into view, he put on the last burst of speed like the others would, none wanting to fall to the back.

He stopped in front of the barracks, he took the time to realize the shape he was in, his breathing was slightly labored but not so much as it would have been a year ago. When around Shadowfoot he never really noticed but now it was all clear. He suddenly wondered why his thoughts kept drifting to his canine companion. And it suddenly come to him that Shadowfoot was more than his best friend, the wolf was his other half. Without his brother Garret was almost lost, he felt like half a being. He shook the thought from his head, knowing he would see Shadowfoot later. He followed the others into the barracks, hurrying to get cleaned up before they had to go see the Captain.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:43:04 PM by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him. Remember what it is to be alive.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2007, 03:03:40 AM »

Lynch ran fast and so did the rest of them, but it was Garret who easily outdistanced them all and was first to reach the barracks, John was next, then himself and Brule just barely beat Linden who grumbled as he cleaned the water stall after they had all taken their showers. Linden waited to put on his uniform until he had cleaned the stall, not wanting to get it dirty. So, he was in his long underwear scrubbing the floor and walls of the stall.

"You about done?" Asked Brule, leaning against the wall buttoning his last button on his shirt.

Linden looked up at him and gave him an unkind gesture with his hand and arm and then rose off his knees. "Yeah, I'm done," Linden sighed.

"Good, now hurry and get dressed. The rest of us are all waiting for you before we go to the Captain's office," Brule said grinning.

"Yeah, yeah," Linden answered putting away the bucket and brush he had been using.

"Aw come on Linden," Brule said.

"I am going as fast as I can, Brule. Get off my back!" Linden said angrily.

"Ok, ok Linden. I helped by pressing your uniform. It is lying on your bed," Brule said as he walked away.

Linden's eyes went wide and he ran after Brule. "Really?" he asked.

"Yeah, really. Now stop your sulking and get dressed will you," Brule pleaded.

Linden got dressed in a hurry and both he and Brule rushed to the Captain's outer office where the rest waited for them. When they entered the door Sgt. Lynch was engaged in a conversation with Garret and John was sitting across from them, a sour look upon his face as he tried not to listen to the Sarge and Garret.

"So you found this wolf, called him Shadowfoot and he has been your companion since then and even the Captain allowed you to keep him?" Lynch asked Garret, amazed.

Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2007, 11:40:33 AM »

They all arrived in front of the barracks. Garret coming in the lead, with the others following, and Linden reaching the building last. They hurriedly took showers then got dressed in clean uniforms to meet the Captain, while Linden cleaned the stall. Garret, Lynch, and John were in the Captain's outer office speaking when Brule and Linden arrived. They had been talking about Shadowfoot.

"So you found this wolf, called him Shadowfoot and he has been your companion since then and even the Captain allowed you to keep him?" Lynch asked Garret.

"He kinda found me in a way too. And i named him Shadowfoot because as soon as he could walk he would always sneak up behind me, so it stuck. But that pretty much sums it up." Garret replied with a shrug.

He wasn't exactly sure why the Captain had allowed Shadowfoot to stay but he was glad. If he hadn't then Garret wouldn’t have made the new friends that he had. He couldn't just leave his closest friend. Garret noticed Brule and Linden walk in. He tugged his shirt straight before returning to the collar, pulling at the fabric.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:27:32 PM by Garret Arroway » Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »

Lynch sighed, "Well it is about time. It is almost chow time and I am famished," he said when Brule and Linden walked in. He stood up, looked around and then said, "Follow me and remember to walk in smartly behind me, spread out in a line and snap to attention and stay there until the Captain says "At ease" then you smartly spread your feet apart, shoulder width, arms behind your back, hands lying gently upon one another at the small of of your back. Understood!"

John nodded, "Yes Sarge," he said with a slight sigh. He already knew how to enter the Captain's office. More than likely the Sarge was going over what he, Brule and Linden already knew for Garret's sake. He still could not understand how the army would actually hire a merc and not put them in with the other merc's, and especially how his friends, the Sarge and even the Captain, seemed to like the merc, even to the point of allowing the merc to keep his wolf.

John glanced over at Garret and sighed inwardly. Before he had known that Garret had been a merc, he had liked the boy and his wolf, Shadowfoot. He was looking forward to making friends with him and if he could ever allow himself to do what the Captain had told him; not to make rash judgements.

He thought, I usually do not, but when it comes to merc's, a merc is a merc, but something inside of him told him that as his Captain had told him and even Linden, that perhaps Garret was not cut from the same cloth and that he should give the boy a chance. Then suddenly the images of his family and villiage flooded into his mind, recalling fresh his vow and resolve.

He looked away from Garret, his face a stone and followed the Sarge into the Captain's office.

The Captain, Nathan Lewis, a tall, sandy blonde haired, blue eyed man with a neatly trimmed blonde mustache was sitting at a rather large highly polished wooden oak desk.  A fire was burning brightly and warmly in the hearth and its flamed shadows shone brightly upon the gleaming highly polished oak floor as well. Set around the room were enough wooden straight backed chairs for all of them to sit upon. He looked up from the papers he was reading when they entered.

John noticed this all as he spread out and as fate would have it, Garret was on his inside right as he was at one end and Brule was on the other end, with the two youngest recruits in the middle of the line and the Sarge a step in front of the line.  John also noticed two other men sitting in the office, they both had Corporal stripes upon their sleeves as he heard the Sarge bark out, "Sgt Lynch and company reporting as ordered Sir!"

"At ease, gentlemen," the Captain ordered.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2007, 02:44:57 AM »

As the group of fellow soldiers entered the Captain’s office Manik looked to Dean to see what they should do. The captain had told them to be at ease and sit, but with others coming into the room and standing at attention Manik wasn’t exactly sure what to do. Looking to Dean, Manik could tell Dean wasn’t sure either, so he rose to his feet and stood in the ‘at ease’ stance with Dean doing the same. There was no new officer to stand at attention for but Manik figured standing was safer than sitting.

The night before Manik had lounged away his evening with Dia, and then once he had left her he had made his way back to the garrison and his bunk. In the morning Manik and Dean woke with their squad, or former squad, and joined them for breakfast. They weren’t sure what was expected of them now that they were joining Lt. Farrel’s operation. During breakfast though another guard had come to tell them that they were given the morning off, but to stay in the garrison grounds as Captain Lewis would be calling for them later. After they were done their food, Sgt. Henderson and the squad went off to duty and Manik and Dean were left to themselves. After a few moments of just sitting pondering what to do Dean suggested they head over to see if unarmed combat practice was going. Manik hadn’t done any unarmed practice yet and Dean said it was usually a pretty good time, so he agreed.

By the time most of a bell had gone by Manik and Dean were sweaty, dirty and locked in a tight grapple. Dean was trying to hook Manik’s leg and Manik was struggling to keep his footing and pressure Dean to the ground. After a few hops Dean managed to push Manik over backwards and they both landed in a pile with Dean on top. They were wrestling for control until the Sergeant in charge turned from the other groups and called a halt and told them to start again. Bent over hands on knees catching his breath Manik looked up when he heard his name. “Private Manik, private Dean, you are expected to be in Captain Lewis’ office by the next bell.” They said thanks to the other guard and realizing they didn’t have much time ran off to shower and change. They had to jog part of the way to make it on time.

Now standing in the office with the other soldiers having entered Manik was still stunned from receiving his corporal stripes. The captain had given him his reasons but it still seemed almost unreal. He had barely joined the guard, still didn’t know his way around the city and was already a Corporal. He wondered if it would not turn out to be a curse for him for making friends and fitting in. Dean to his right was standing proud, his corporal stripes also held on by 2 pins. They would sow them on once they had some free time. At least if it did turn a curse he had his new friend to share his grief.

After getting their stripes the captain had told them to sit while he filled out some of the paper work, which is why they had been sitting when the others had come in. Manik’s curiosity peaked as he scanned the new arrivals. He wasn’t wholly glad to see Sgt. Lynch given their short past. Of the other four he recognized one from around the garrison, but didn’t know the man’s name. And the one wasn’t wearing guard uniform, which meant…he was a civilian? Strange.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »

Private Dean Winters

As the five entered the room Dean rose to his feet with Manik. Of the arrivals he recognized all in uniform. Sgt. Lynch, Linden, Brule and Private First Class John, but the other man wasn’t wearing guard uniform and Dean had never seen him he was pretty sure. The three privates were good men. Dean had clashed practice swords or shared some pints with them from time to time and they were nice enough. With the other privates in the room he stood up straighter, proud and eager to see their reaction to his new corporal stripes.  Also it was weird how he and Manik hadn’t been excused yet or been given commands for the rest of the day.

Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

"Well it is about time. It is almost chow time and I am famished," Lynch said when Brule and Linden entered. He stood and looked around, "Follow me and remember to walk in smartly behind me, spread out in a line and snap to attention and stay there until the Captain says "At ease" then you smartly spread your feet apart, shoulder width, arms behind your back, hands lying gently upon one another at the small of your back. Understood!"

"Yes Sarge," John said.

"Yes sir," Garret said lightly, guessing that the last bit of information was mainly directed at him.

He knew that he had a lot to learn about the army and some of his old habits would change. It was already very obvious that mercenaries and soldiers were quite different and he would have to relearn how to act around these fighters. From the corner of one grey eye he saw John look at him. The young recruit looked over in the man's direction and grinned disarmingly but John looked away as he did so. Garret ran one hand down his face then through his hair, wondering what it would take to get John to trust him. He had little time to ponder this as Lynch led them into the Captain's office. He tugged his tunic straight once more before entering the room.

As they entered, Garret followed the Sergeants directions to the letter, spreading out in a line then swiftly moving his limbs into the stance taught to him earlier. His movements were a bit jerky and unpracticed, setting him apart from the others but it wasn't very noticeable, at least Garret hoped it wasn’t. As he followed orders he surveyed the room. His grey eyes traveled from the flame dancing in the hearth to the polished oak flood then moving to the large, polished oak desk before finally landing on the man sitting behind it. The Captain was an impressive looking man with bright blue eyes, sandy blonde hair, and a light mustache; all well kept and clean cut.

The new recruit tore his eyes from the man to quickly cast a glance at the two men standing off to the side with stripes pined to their sleeves. His gaze passed over them quickly and he looked from side to side, finding himself in between John and Linden, with Brule on Linden's other side and Lynch out in front of them. His disciplined mind kicked in then and he set his eyes straight ahead.

"Sgt Lynch and company reporting as ordered Sir!" Lynch said.

"At ease, gentlemen," the Captain ordered.

Garret was half a step behind the others as the moved into the next position, but he followed swiftly, his hands behind his back with his feet shoulder length apart. He stood there waiting for the Captain to speak, wondering why they had been summoned. He cleared his head and waited patiently.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:49:20 AM by Garret Arroway » Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2007, 02:49:31 AM »

Captain Lewis stared at the men in front of him and he smiled inwardly as he saw his two new Corporal's stand at attention as well when the Sgt and the rest of the men walked in.  He could see the indecision on Manik's and Winter's faces as they rose from their chairs.

"Gentlemen please take a seat and make yourselves comfortable."

After the men all sat down another corporal came into the office and offered everyone a cup of tea, left the pot of hot water and a tin of tea on the Captain's desk and then left.

Captain Lewis filled his cup with some tea leaves and poured some hot water into it. He let the leaves steep as he spoke. "I know that the Sgt. knows everyone here, but the rest of you may not know each other. So I will make the introductions. The two men with brand new corporal stripes on their sleeves are Corporal Manik Targin and Corporal Dean Winters."

John, Brule and Linden all knew Dean, and though they had seen Manik around had never had the chance to meet him. John spoke up. "Sir, private Brule and Linden and I know Corporal Winter's, and we have seen Corporal Targin around but never had the chance to formally meet him sir."

"Good. Then you have now been formally introduced to him. Now, introduce your other soldier with you," Lewis ordered.

John glanced over at Garret and then stiffly introduced him to Manik and Dean. "Corporal's Targin and Winter's this is recruit Garret Arroway. He is a mercenary."

"Private First Class John, did you forget what we talked about earlier?" Lewis asked.

"Sir, no Sir. I just thought that the Corporals should know, Sir!" John shouted, standing at attention.

"Well I was going to tell them myself, but I appreciate you doing it for me, Private. Now please sit down."

John sat down, his face a bit red but stony.

Lewis picked up his cup and took a sip. The tea warmed his insides. He watched if others were taking his cue and as far as he could see the only one not drinking was John. Perhaps he should dismiss the man. It was obvious that his dislike for mercenariies was going to be a problem. But he needed John, just as he needed the rest of them. Each one had a special qualtiy, talent that was going to be needed and used.

Finally he spoke. "Gentlemen I have called you here to ask you to join a special elite force of men. I will not order you to join. This is a volunteer position. Once you have decided, those who stay will be told of the training and mission of this elite force of men. Corporal's Targin and Winter's have already decided to join. I suppose you have some questions. Ask them and I will try to answer them as best as I can."

Lynch glanced down the row of men, his gaze stopping briefly upon John, Garret and then on the two new Corporals. Finally he stared at the Captain. He took a sip of tea, though he really did not care for the stuff. He thought it was too high brow, but he also was no fool and followed his Captain's actions.

An elite force of men, kept running through his brain. What kind of men? What would be their training? What would be their mission? The Captain said once everyone who was willing to volunteer for this special force of men was here then the mission would be explained. So the last question in his mind would not be answered...at least not right away. But the others could be.

"Sir, I am wondering what kind of training will we recieve?" he asked.

"A whole different type that has never been done by regular army. You will learn to use your hands and feet as weapons. Broadswords and armor will not be worn or used, instead you will be dressed...in a different way and your weapons will be special designed knives, daggars and other silent type of weapons. You will learn to use these weapons in ways that have never been done before, you will learn to use the terrain around you to your advantage; to blend in with it, to learn to love it so much that it becomes a part of you, but most of all you will learn to use your brain. The most dangerous of any weapon man can make," Lewis answered.

Lynch sat back and drank his tea, not caring that he did not like it. The Captain's answer to his question had raised more questions in his mind and at the same time intrigued him. No broadswords or armor? Only knives and daggars and your hands and feet as weapons? He already knew how to use a knife and a daggar and as far as his hands were concerned, he could hold his own, even more, in a good fist fight. What did he need to learn that was so different?  Blend in with the terrain? To learn to love it? What in Coor's name did that mean?  Dress differently? What did that mean? It was those questions and other's that intrigued Lynch. He decided he wanted to know and become a part of this special force of men. He wondered what they would be called, if they were not part of the regular army?  In a way it sounded somewhat like a mercenary's job. But Lynch knew that Merc's used broadswords, or any type of swords and they wore armor; some of which was better than the army's, because they could afford it.

He cleared his throat. "Sir. I would like to volunteer. I am intriqued by this prospect of special forces of men."

Lewis's eyes widened. They had been trying to name this group of men and the Sgt. just may have inadvertantly done so...Special Forces! It had a certain ring to it. Lewis liked it. "Thank you Sgt. I accept. Anyone else?" Lewis asked.

Brule looked over at Linden and Linden's face was alight with excitement. He nodded and both of them said almost at once. "We volunteer, Sir."

Lewis almost smiled. "Very well. I accept Private First Class Linden and Brule," He eyed John and Garret. "Anyone else?" he asked.

John stood up after awhile. "Sir, you said this was a volunteer assignment?" John asked.

"Yes, it is volunteer. I will not order you to join. For this assignment is very dangerous," Lewis answered. He had hoped that John would say yes, but he could see that John was going to turn it down, probably because he thought Garret would not and he could not overcome his feelings toward mercenaries.

"Then Sir, with your permission I ask that I be dismissed."

"Are you sure private?" Lewis asked softly.

John looked around and saw Brule's and Linden's crestfallen faces and even the sarge seemed to be a bit disappointed. Dean's face also mirrored the others and John refused to look in Garret's direction. He faced the Captain, standing tall. "Yes Sir. I am sure," he said.

"If that is what you want private then you are dismissed," Lewis answered, saluting as John saluted, turned on his heel and walked out of the office closing the door behind him.

Lewis looked at the last remaining man, Garret. And waited for his answer.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2007, 04:35:16 AM »

"Gentlemen please take a seat and make yourselves comfortable." Captain Lewis said.

Garret followed the others, sitting when they did. He was not used to all the formality and was slightly uneasy in the Captain's office. Surrounded by men that were all higher of rank then him made it a bit worse even though a few of those were already friends. As they sat another man came in and offered everyone a cup of tea. Once more Garret looked to the others for a moment, not wanting to do anything to offend anyone. He knew it would take time to go from the comfortably companionship of mercenaries to the status strict army. Garret sunk back into the confines of his chair, sitting up straight but trying his hardest to go unnoticed until spoken too.

"I know that the Sgt. knows everyone here, but the rest of you may not know each other. So I will make the introductions. The two men with brand new corporal stripes on their sleeves are Corporal Manik Targin and Corporal Dean Winters." Captain Lewis introduced.

"Sir, private Brule and Linden and I know Corporal Winter's, and we have seen Corporal Targin around but never had the chance to formally meet him sir." John said, speaking for the three of them.

"Good. Then you have now been formally introduced to him. Now, introduce your other soldier with you," Lewis ordered.

John glanced over at Garret and then began the introduction. "Corporal's Targin and Winter's this is recruit Garret Arroway. He is a mercenary."

Garret might have been mistaken but the man's tone seemed to turn icy as he uttered the word mercenary, as if it was some word cursed by death itself. He wondered if there was anyway to prove himself to this man that seemed to judge him because of his choice in way of survival. Garret brought his attention back to the conversation as the Captain spoke.

"Private First Class John, did you forget what we talked about earlier?" Lewis asked.

"Sir, no Sir. I just thought that the Corporals should know, Sir!" John shouted, standing at attention.

"Well I was going to tell them myself, but I appreciate you doing it for me, Private. Now please sit down." Captain Lewis said.

John sat down. The Captain picked up his cup and took a sip. Garret lifted his own cup when the others did, taking a small sip of the hot liquid. The man seemed to be watching them over the brim of his cup, his face unchanged, but Garret could guess he was thinking.

Finally he spoke. "Gentlemen I have called you here to ask you to join a special elite force of men. I will not order you to join. This is a volunteer position. Once you have decided, those who stay will be told of the training and mission of this elite force of men. Corporal's Targin and Winter's have already decided to join. I suppose you have some questions. Ask them and I will try to answer them as best as I can."

"Sir, I am wondering what kind of training will we receive?" Lynch asked, breaking the momentary silence.

"A whole different type that has never been done by regular army. You will learn to use your hands and feet as weapons. Broadswords and armor will not be worn or used, instead you will be dressed...in a different way and your weapons will be special designed knives, daggers and other silent type of weapons. You will learn to use these weapons in ways that have never been done before, you will learn to use the terrain around you to your advantage; to blend in with it, to learn to love it so much that it becomes a part of you, but most of all you will learn to use your brain. The most dangerous of any weapon man can make," Lewis answered.

"Sir. I would like to volunteer. I am intriqued by this prospect of special forces of men." Lynch replied to the Captain's answer

"Thank you Sgt. I accept. Anyone else?" Lewis asked.

"We volunteer, Sir." Brule and Linden said, almost at the same time.

"Very well. I accept Private First Class Linden and Brule," Captain said then he eyed John and Garret. "Anyone else?" he asked.

"Sir, you said this was a volunteer assignment?" Stood up and asked.

"Yes, it is volunteer. I will not order you to join. For this assignment is very dangerous," Lewis answered.

"Then Sir, with your permission I ask that I be dismissed." John replied.

"Yes Sir. I am sure," John answered. Garret seeing his gaze travel over him and on his friends in the room.

"If that is what you want private then you are dismissed," Lewis answered, saluting as John saluted, turned on his heel and walked out of the office closing the door behind him.

The Captain then looked at Garret, waiting for his answer. Garret shifted uncomfortably under the man's gaze, trying to take in everything said and order his thoughts. This offer intrigued him. After a few moments he knew what he would say.

"Sir, sorry if I'm out of place but I feel I must speak directly. This offer interests me and I would gladly volunteer, but I cannot accept if it compromises the purpose of this group. If Private John is needed more than me and my declining will give yall access to a man of higher rank and better trained then I will decline." Garret said, those last words coming out of his mouth somewhat reluctantly. He paused for moment to think then began again, "Sir, I learned fighting with mercenaries that one man doesn't make a group. I would decline if Private John is needed more. Shadowfoot and I would go join with the other mercenaries if that’s what it took to better the group as a whole, in defending this city. "

He stopped then, recalling the old mercenary that had taught him that and remembering the day he died following his own words. Garret sat quietly, not wondering if he had spoken out of line, not wondering if he would return to the mercenary group, not really wondering about anything. Just sitting there waiting for the Captain's orders.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »

As Manik was introduced to the other guards he tried desperately to remember their names, repeating them over and over in his mind. He found people were more responsive to you if you remembered their name.

"Corporal's Targin and Winter's this is recruit Garret Arroway. He is a mercenary."

Dean’s brow furrowed. Dean had been in the guard long enough to absorb the general dislike of mercenaries. He had seen enough to know their type. It wasn’t the nature of the man, but the nature of the job that irked most of the guard. Dean had shared a few occasional drinks with mercenaries and had shared laughter and listened to their tall tales and for the most part they were tolerable. But to compare their sellsword ways to the noble life of a guard of Nyermersys was a travesty. Dean wasn’t happy to hear the man was a mercenary but at the same time he was introduced as recruit Garret. Mercenaries were never given rank by guards, they were just called mercenaries. If this Garret had decided to change his ways and come over to the good team it was all a victory for the guards in Dean’s point of view.

Manik’s experience with mercenaries was limited to when they accompanied merchant trains through his village. For the most part they seemed normal men, if not a little rough and vulgar. The only one he had ever known was a man a decade older than him from his village. Manik could still remember when he was young the man, Hadrian was his name, had just reached adulthood and was boasting in the town square about joining a mercenary band. It was a sizeable group that had come passing through and stayed a day or two to get their horses looked after. While they were in town they put out word they were hiring. Hadrian had been one of those cocky, full of life and vigour kind of boys and Manik remembered him boasting about all the great things he would see and do. Manik didn’t see Hadrian for 8 years after that until the man came through with a caravan guarded by a remnant of the former band. When Manik and others had approached Hadrian to ask him about what he had done, Hadrian was a different person. He was elusive, quiet, somber, and had a haunted look about him. When asked he just replied “I saw things,” and looked like he would continue but thought better of it and went back to his ale. Usually they had been a source of excitement as they carried swords and wore armour, but Manik still remembered that haunted look and had no idea what to think about mercenaries.

At Captain Lewis’ explanation of their training, Manik was excited but also a bit troubled. The skills sounded awkwardly close to those infamous of an assassin. He hadn’t come to join the guard to be an assassin.

"Sir. I would like to volunteer. I am intriqued by this prospect of special forces of men." Stated Sgt. Lynch.

Manik knew Lynch was a skilled soldier and good at training, but with their few interactions over his days in Nyermersys being less than great he couldn’t help but feel less than elated at the Sergeant’s answer. He was happy, however, when two of the other privates also agreed if it only meant he and Dean weren’t the only victims for Lynch.

The only ones left now were John and Garret and it was John who spoke first.
John stood up after awhile. "Sir, you said this was a volunteer assignment?" John asked.

"Yes, it is volunteer. I will not order you to join. For this assignment is very dangerous," Lewis answered. He had hoped that John would say yes, but he could see that John was going to turn it down, probably because he thought Garret would not and he could not overcome his feelings toward mercenaries.

"Then Sir, with your permission I ask that I be dismissed."

"Yes Sir. I am sure."

The whole interaction was awkward as John’s decline was obviously directed at Garret. Manik just leaned back staying quiet trying to escape the situation.

After that it was Garret’s turn to decide
"Sir, sorry if I'm out of place but I feel I must speak directly. This offer interests me and I would gladly volunteer, but I cannot accept if it compromises the purpose of this group. If Private John is needed more than me and my declining will give yall access to a man of higher rank and better trained then I will decline." Garret said, those last words coming out of his mouth somewhat reluctantly. He paused for moment to think then began again, "Sir, I learned fighting with mercenaries that one man doesn't make a group. I would decline if Private John is needed more. Shadowfoot and I would go join with the other mercenaries if that’s what it took to better the group as a whole, in defending this city. "

Garret’s offer to decline to help the group was commendable. Manik didn’t know either well enough to judge which would be better suited, but Garret’s offer did help prove his worth. The other thing that Garret said that tugged at his mind was the name Shadowfoot. Who was that and what was their part in this? Manik made a note to ask Garret or someone about it when he got the chance. For now Manik shifted his gaze once again to the captain to hear his response.

Once the Captain gave his response and the matter was settled Manik planned on asking a few questions that had come to him.

“When Lt. Farrel described this special group to us he made it out to be more of reconnaissance and disrupting supply lines behind enemy lines, but the training you described made it sound more like …. assassins for lack of a better word?” Manik asked, with the word assassins said with obvious discomfort. Manik was afraid he might have gone to far with saying the task was like assassin work, but he wanted it answered.

“Will there be more than just the men in this room in this group?”
Manik couldn’t help but wonder how a handful of men were going to handle such a task and cover so much ground. He also wanted to ask about Lt. Farrel, but thought maybe that was going too far. Wasn't Farrel supposed to lead this thing? Where is he?

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2008, 02:45:48 AM »

Captain Lewis took another sip of tea as he considered Private Garret's question and then Corporal Manik asked a couple of questions too, before Lewis could answer Garret. The Captain gave Manik a withering stare and then cleared his throat as he turned his attention to Garret.

"Private Garret if you were not needed you would not have been asked to join. As far as Private First Class John is concerned, do not be. He is my responsibility not yours, at the moment. And to answer one of your questions Corporal Manik," the Captain now turned his full attention upon him, "Yes, the only men who will be involved are in this room, at least for now. We, the officers and I, will be evaluating the training and eventual success or failure of a real mission."

He paused and took another sip of tea.

"Some of what you may be required to do will learn to kill your enemy with stealth and silent. So, in part, Corporal Manik, the answer is yes, you will learn the skills of an assassin, but you will be taught far beyond that. You will be taught how to disrupt and harrass your enemy behind their lines. You will be taught to how to live off of the land or the supplies you may capture during one of your missions. You will be taught how to spy, how to recognize troop movements, whether they are real or false. You will be taught how to sneek upon the enemy and kill him before he knows what hit him.  All of these things and more will be included in your training."

He turned to the whole group, his face grave. "This is not going to be easy. The training will be rough and the reality will be tougher than you can imagine. You will be in danger twenty five hours a day. If the enemy catches you, you will probably be outright killed, or tortured for information. Myself, I would rather be killed outright. Torture is a long and painful procedure, which by the way you will be trained to resist as well. The motto of this special force of men will be "No man left behind and dead is better than talking."

"No man left behind means if there is a wounded man on the field and you can rescue him, then do so, if not then you are left with several choices; of either killing him there, leaving him to kill himself, or leave him to his enemies and hope you can mount a rescue. I believe that last part of the motto speaks for itself. Now are there any more who would like to rethink their decision or have questions?" He asked, looking at each man in their eyes awaiting their response.

The Sgt. and the other Corporals did not say a word. So Captain Lewis's eyes rested upon Corporal's Manik, Dean and Garret respectively.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »

Before the Captain formed a reply for Garret, one of the men, Corporal Targin, spoke up. He thought the question a good one and also wanted to know for sure what Captain Lewis had meant. Many soldiers thought that mercenaries were low-lifes, just a little bit earlier he had to convince Linden and Brule that he wasn't like the others. While mercenaries were widely hated by soldiers, assassins were despised by everyone.

Garret tried his best not to classify people, but he couldn't understand how someone could just kill for money. Some would say that mercenaries did just that, killed for money, but there was a large gap between the two in his eyes. With that final thought he turned back toward the conversation, realizing that he had missed a second question, from the Corporal. He caught the last couple words, but couldn’t figure out what had been said. With a concealed sigh, he looked up at the Captain, waiting for an answer. The powerful man cast a silencing glace at Targin, before turning to answer Garret.

"Private Garret if you were not needed you would not have been asked to join. As far as Private First Class John is concerned, do not be. He is my responsibility not yours, at the moment. And to answer one of your questions Corporal Manik, yes, the only men who will be involved are in this room, at least for now. We, the officers and I, will be evaluating the training and eventual success or failure of a real mission."

Garret nodded after the man had answered him and steeled his resolve about accepting this. He still silently wondered if he would be a factor that could lean toward the failure of their mission, as the Captain had put it. Less than a heartbeat later he put the thought aside, refusing to think about it. Putting too much thought into things that couldn't be helped was always a problem of his. Captain Lewis had paused for a moment to take a sip of tea before answering Manik's first question. He listened silently, taking in each of the Captain's words, his grey eyes growing a bit darker as the man continued to speak. The last bit of the information captured his attention.

If the enemy catches you, you will probably be outright killed, or tortured for information. Myself, I would rather be killed outright. Torture is a long and painful procedure, which by the way you will be trained to resist as well. The motto of this special force of men will be 'No man left behind and dead is better than talking.' No man left behind means if there is a wounded man on the field and you can rescue him, then do so, if not then you are left with several choices; of either killing him there, leaving him to kill himself, or leave him to his enemies and hope you can mount a rescue. I believe that last part of the motto speaks for itself."

Garret continued to hear those words even after the Captain had uttered him. His mind was wrapped around that concept and immersed in a sea of thoughts. He almost missed the finals sentence that the man had spoken, but he had pulled himself back in time, setting aside his thoughts for later. Lewis asked if anyone was having any second thoughts. None of the men on either side of him said anything so the Captain turned his gaze on the two Corporals and him. Dark grey eyes found their way to the others that were still deciding at that moment, looking for any sign of being prepared to reply. After a few moments, neither had answered. Garret was feeling a tad bit uneasy at the moment and he lightly cleared his throat, silently hoping his voice didn't crack. On of the few things that made him nervous was being surrounded by superiors, and making himself the center of attention by speaking first made it worse. He fumbled for the right words for the moment.

"I have no second thoughts and accept, sir," Garret said awkwardly, resisting the urge to lift one hand to scratch the back of his head, his usual nervous gesture.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]