Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seagorn Garrison(Nyermersis)  (Read 35826 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:51 AM »

Captain Lewis nodded at Garret's answer. He was sure the boy could teach even his most hardened soldiers a thing or two. Did he not best Sgt. Lynch? And Lynch was supposedly the weapon master, well except Lt. Farrel, who was a master swordsman and who was not here. Lewis wondered why? After all it was his idea to form this special force of men.

Suddenly there was knock on the door.

"Enter," Lewis ordered.

Private First Class John came into the room, closed the door behind him and then stood at attention. "Pemission to speak to the Captain?"

"Permission granted, Private." Lewis answered.

"Sir, I have changed my mind and would like to revolunteer, though with the news I bring I do not know if it will be needed so urgently," John said.

Lewis frowned, what news was John talking about? "Private, tell me what changed your mind and why I should allow you join? After that you can tell me what this news is."

"Yes Sir," John said loudly enough to be heard but respectful enough to be easy on the ears of those in the room. "I thought about the mission Sir and also what we talked about and it may be that not all Merc's are what I think they are, nevertheless I decided that my personal feelings come second to the mission at hand. I also know that I have the necessary skills and training to start and complete this special force training otherwise the Captain Sir, would not have chosen me in the first place."

Lewis almost smiled, but kept it to himself; perhaps Garret and John will turn out to be friends after all.

'Now what is this news you were talking about?" Lewis asked.

"Sir, we have just received a report from the Castle. The Earl has decided to call off the war."

Lewis sat straight up in surprise. "What? Are you sure, Private?" He asked.

"Yes sir, here is the report," John answered, handing the Captain a piece of parchment.

Lewis took the parchment, read it, and saw the royal seal in wax upon it. It was true, the war over, even before it began. A part of Lewis sighed with relief, as he was not looking forward to seeing fresh faces of the dead, with eyes wide open, staring at him as he would go over the battlefield ordering burying details. However another part of him wanted to see how this special forces of men and their training would turn out and effective they would be? Now he and they would never find out...or would they?

He stood up and paced the floor...thinking. He turned and faced the men in the room; all of them with astonished, almost unbelievable looks upon their faces. Lewis could almost hear their thoughts. "Gentlemen, it seems that the Earl has changed his mind and it is true we will not be going to war. However, I am still going to implement the training schedule for our Special Forces forthwith. I expect all of you to get some rest, and then pack your things. You will all be moved to a special barracks away from the rest. There you will unpack and the training will commence. I do not have to tell you that you will not speak to anyone of this Special Force. Anyone violating this order will be executed on the spot! Do I make myself clear?" Lewis asked.

Lynch jumped up and so did the others and yelled "Yes Sir!"  Private First Class John was among them and smiling broadly.

Lewis glanced at Garret, Manik and Dean who had stood, but he did not quite hear them say, "Yes Sir," of course he could have missed their voices amongst the chorus of the others, but he was not sure, so he waited.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2008, 09:04:16 AM »

A sudden knocked at the door caused Garret's head to turn. It surprised him to see John enter the room at the captain's order. He listened as the man state why he wished to be included in the group of men that sat in this room at the moment. When the subject changed to the new that had been brought, Garret's already dark eyes darkened. War?

It took a second for him to realize how stupid he had been. Of course they had been planning for a war by organizing this group, but Garret hadn't heard the words uttered and his mind hadn't registered that as a possibility till now. He silently reprimanded himself as the Captain read the parchment that John had brought. His attention was once more turned to the people in the room after a moment and he watched the measured steps of the Captain as he paced the floor. 

"Gentlemen, it seems that the Earl has changed his mind and it is true we will not be going to war. However, I am still going to implement the training schedule for our Special Forces forthwith. I expect all of you to get some rest, and then pack your things. You will all be moved to a special barracks away from the rest. There you will unpack and the training will commence. I do not have to tell you that you will not speak to anyone of this Special Force. Anyone violating this order will be executed on the spot! Do I make myself clear?" Lewis said.

Garret was half a step behind the others as they jumped from their seats and replied to the Captain's words with a rather loud, 'Yes sir'. Again he was later, forming the first word as the others were on the second. He winced inwardly and figured he would have to work on that, while hoping that his slightly quieter words had been heard among the others. If not he was almost sure that the lateness was probably noted. But as Captain Lewis' glaze fell on him he wasn't so sure. He silently cursed all mercenary groups because they had done nothing to preparing for this. Instead of speaking out of line, Garret nodded once as the man's bright blue eyes fell on him once more.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him. Remember what it is to be alive.
Quote: Robin Hobb
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »

Lewis saw Garret's head nod in assent and assumed the boy was a bit overwhelmed by it all or else he had said, "Yes Sir," and Lewis had not heard it over the others; either way Lewis stood there looking at the group of men who were going to be Nyermersys's Special Forces. 

He thoughtfully rubbed his hand over his chin. "While you pack men I want you to think of a name for your group. Special Forces somehow does not have the ring to it, it does not associate itself with Nyermersys or the Earl, if you know what I mean? So, if any of you have an idea what to call yourselves just throw the name around amongst yourselves and only yourselves, until it is settled, and then after you have passed the tests and are ready, then we can formally name you. I have been giving some thought about those of you who pass of changing your clothes or perhaps an insignia that tells everyone who sees it that you are an elite and belong to an elite force of men.  I am not sure, I have to run it by the Earl and Lt. Farrel.  After all he is the one who came up with the idea in the first place, but he had to go to the Castle on some buisness. Once he arrives, I am sure he will introduce himself to you, in his usual fashion."

Lewis sat down, "Dismissed," he ordered.

The men in the room all yelled, "Yes Sir," and then filed out of the room, John was the last to leave and closed the door behind him as he walked out.  He walked up to Garret and Sgt. Lynch, he heard the Sarge say, "After we pack and unpack I want you to show me that parry you did on me. I was sure I had you. I have never seen a sword used in that manner and that quickly."

Lynch saw John come up from behind standing behind Garret. "Private, is there something?"

John wanted to speak to Garret alone, but it seemed that the Sarge was not going to allow that to happen, so John straightened his shoulders and spoke. "Yes Sarge, I just wanted to say to Private Garret that I hopes he changes my mind about Merc's and that I look forward to working with him."

Lynch's eyes widened. He had not expected that, considering John's past and feelings towards mercenaries, not that Lynch did not blame the boy; having your parents and whole village murdered and then burnt to the ground by a bunch of mercenaries, he probably would feel the same.  But if this Special Force of men were to work then Lynch knew that all of them would have to work together, not even as a unit but more like one man; knowing what the other is going to do before he even did it and that would take a whole bushel of trust between each man and whole bushel of training. Lynch was excited at the prospect of beginning thier training as soon as possible.

Lynch grinned and backed away. "I will leave you two to talk. I need to go pack," he said as he turned and walked away.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

John looked at Garret. He really studied him this time and saw what he was not what he percieved him to be. Garret was approximately his age, though the life he must have led made him look much older. He carried himself with a causual grace and his lithe body belied the man's strength and agility as John had seen first hand when he saw Garret and the Sarge sparring with one another; he had never thought there was anyone who could best the Sarge.

It was an awkward type of silence as both men looked at one another. John thought I wonder what Garret thinks of me, especially since the way I treated him? I really do hope he changes my mind about Merc's for I really do like him; I liked him the first time I laid eyes on him.

Finally, the silence overbearing, John held out his hand. "I meant what I said to the Sarge, Garret. I hope you can change my mind about Merc's. I really do like you. I have ever since I met you. I suppose I should tell you why I hate Merc's so much, or perhaps the others already told you? Well it is best it came from me.

"I was only seven when a band of Merc's came into our small village. My father was the local blacksmith and we all assumed they had come to buy, fix their armor, or have their swords sharpened.  When the leader of our village came out to greet them, they cut off his head and then proceeded to kill every man, woman and child, even those still suckling in the village.

"I had been at a nearby river fishing when I heard the screams and saw the smoke rising from our village. When I finally reached it the last thing I saw was my father swinging his sword at several men trying to protect my mother and sister. He cut one down, but there were too many and finally they killed him. I screamed and two of them gave chase as I ran toward my family. My mother screamed for me to run away. I hesitated, but when I saw the two, now three men on horseback galloping toward me I did not heed my mother's voice but picked up rocks and with my sling began to throw rocks at the approaching riders.

"The supposedly leader had my mother and sister under his control and he watched as his men bore down on me. They laughed at my rock throwing until one rock hit one man square in the head and knocked him off his horse. I believe I killed him, or at least knocked him unconcious, I was not sure for suddenly the rest of them were upon me and I ran and ducked under their swings trying to run toward my mother and sister.

"They had fun coralling me; much like you would a wild horse. I would run this way and a man would cut me off with his horse, I would run the other and another man was there. They were all laughing and slowly but surely they boxed me in. Finally I jumped at one, hoping to knock him off his horse and steal it, but I was too weak, young and inexpierenced. I was hit on the head with a pommel of the man's sword.

"I woke up several hours, perhaps a half day later. They must have thought I had been killed, for they had left. However when I found my way to my family I noticed my mother's dress was torn off and she lay in an awkward manner; as I neared her, calling her name, I saw that her legs and arms were both splayed open and tied with strips of leather to stakes in the ground.  My sister lay upon her bare chest they had both been gutted like a fish! A fish, Garret! Can you imagine what that looked liked to a seven year old boy?

"I buried my family that day and vowed that any mercenary I came across would die. My uncle from another village took me in and raised me. i trained myself, along with his help, to learn how to use a sword so that I could take my revenge. However, I realized that my uncle could not give me all the training I needed so after I was old enough, I joined the army and here I found a family. A family that disliked Merc's almost as much as i, until you came along.  That is why I suppose I resented you so much, not that you were a Merc, though that was a strong motivation, it was more that you were becoming close to my family.  That is why I hold out my hand in hopes of having you as a friend and not as an enemy and I hope you understand why I feel like I do about Merc's."

John waited for Garret to answer with his hand held out.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:32 AM »

"Dismissed," he ordered, sitting down after explaining the situation to the men.

"Yes Sir," Garret said with the others, following them out of the room. He found himself beside Lynch, listening to the man's words, attempting to keep his grin minimal.

"After we pack and unpack I want you to show me that parry you did on me. I was sure I had you. I have never seen a sword used in that manner and that quickly."

He attempted to hide the grin that was creeping up on him at the praise, and nodded at Lynch's words, adding a 'Yes sir' to go with it. This wasn't like him, to be easily swayed by a few simple words. He hadn't acted like this since he was ten or twelve years old and the trainer had congratulated him for besting one of the noble's sons.

Grey eyes stared afar, gone with his mind, when John joined the two, and Garret missed Lynches words. He nearly missed John's words, but he shook off the mists. He felt a little weak in the knees and wished Shadowfoot was near by. With a hidden sigh he turned toward John, listening as the man spoke.

"Yes Sarge, I just wanted to say to Private Garret that I hopes he changes my mind about Merc's and that I look forward to working with him."

Garret wondered he if he had heard correctly. His grey gaze turned on the man and he watched him for a moment, considering all that he had heard about and from this man since he had arrived. It didn't seem possible that he had heard correctly and with a glace toward the man next to him, he could see that Lynch was surprised by this as well. After a moment that expression of surprise was replaced by a grin.

"I will leave you two to talk. I need to go pack," Lynch said as he turned and walked away.

Garret kept his silence, watching John as the man watched him. At the moment he couldn't think of anything to say. After that moment of weakness, recalling something buried by time and blood to him, he was tired, and he sorely needed the company of his best friend and brother. He couldn't think straight and he defiantly couldn't bring up the agreement of the difference of mercenaries again. Though, he was pretty sure John wouldn't want to hear it anyways.

"I meant what I said to the Sarge, Garret. I hope you can change my mind about Merc's. I really do like you. I have ever since I met you. I suppose I should tell you why I hate Merc's so much, or perhaps the others already told you? Well it is best it came from me," John said, breaking the silence and extending a hand.

Garret listened as the man told his story, silently watching as he revealed the levels and years of pain with his words. He wondered how some people could be so cruel, taking back the innocent mind of the sixteen year old that set out from home on his own. Cruelty was just second nature to some, he knew. He had been around some men while working with mercenaries that were like that, just down right mean to anyone or anything that moved. Those men didn't last long with the groups that he worked with, but there were still many out there that accepted them.

"I buried my family that day and vowed that any mercenary I came across would die. My uncle from another village took me in and raised me. I trained myself, along with his help, to learn how to use a sword so that I could take my revenge. However, I realized that my uncle could not give me all the training I needed so after I was old enough, I joined the army and here I found a family. A family that disliked Merc's almost as much as I, until you came along. That is why I suppose I resented you so much, not that you were a Merc, though that was a strong motivation, it was more that you were becoming close to my family. That is why I hold out my hand in hopes of having you as a friend and not as an enemy and I hope you understand why I feel like I do about Merc's."

Garret reached forth without hesitation and shook John's hand.

"Wounds that deep don't heal in a day or even a lifetime," Garret said. Then with a sincere grin on his face, "I'm glad you decided to give me a second chance though. Not all of us are heartless. Now I think we should head off to pack."

With that Garret turned in the direction of the barracks. His meager possessions were still pretty much packed up and he really just wanted to see Shadowfoot. He wasn't used to being away from the wolf for any period of time.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him. Remember what it is to be alive.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »

"Wounds that deep don't heal in a day or even a lifetime," Garret said. Then with a sincere grin on his face, "I'm glad you decided to give me a second chance though. Not all of us are heartless. Now I think we should head off to pack."

John stood there for a moment digesting what Garret had just said. Finally he nodded his head and ran up to Garret.

"For a young man you are wise beyond your years," he said breathlessly, " I look forward to being with you."

They both were now walking.

"I assume you are wondering about your wolf, Shadowfoot? Do not concern yourself I fed him some raw meat before I came back to the office. It was looking at him eating and wondering how such a wild animal could be so tame, that caused me to think that just because some mercs acted liked wild animals and killed without mercy, that if a wild dangerous animal such as a Mithral wolf could be tamed, then perhaps some merc's are also tamed, in a way. Do you understand what I am trying to say? Or am I not making any sense at all?

He paused briefly, before Garret could say something and then quickly added, "Sometimes I speak faster than my thoughts can order themselves," He said with a chuckle.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:11 PM »

Garret kept walking, looking back once to find John catching up to him. He was anxious to see Shadowfoot, but he slowed his pace for the man. Keeping up with a wolf for the last year had taught him to walk swiftly, but others didn't move as swiftly. So he slowed until John was walking beside him.

"For a young man you are wise beyond your years," John said, "I look forward to being with you."

"Being on the board can so that to ya," Garret replied with a shrug.

"I assume you are wondering about your wolf, Shadowfoot? Do not concern yourself I fed him some raw meat before I came back to the office. It was looking at him eating and wondering how such a wild animal could be so tame, that caused me to think that just because some mercs acted liked wild animals and killed without mercy, that if a wild dangerous animal such as a Mithral wolf could be tamed, then perhaps some Merc's are also tamed, in a way. Do you understand what I am trying to say? Or am I not making any sense at all?" He paused for a moment. Before Garret could answer he began speaking again, chuckling a bit. "Sometimes I speak faster than my thoughts can order themselves."

"I'm sure he appreciated that, seeing as we've been on the road for a while and don't usually eat often then. He's a good companion, makes the road a lot less lonely. What you're saying makes perfect sense actually," Garret replied, "or at least the way I understood it. It all pretty much goes back to upbringing. Even then people can change or the better or the worse."

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »

"I'm sure he appreciated that, seeing as we've been on the road for a while and don't usually eat often then. He's a good companion, makes the road a lot less lonely. What you're saying makes perfect sense actually," Garret replied, "or at least the way I understood it. It all pretty much goes back to upbringing. Even then people can change or the better or the worse."

"Thanks for understanding Garret," John said, smiliing. "Race you to the barracks," he shouted as he took off on a run, leaving Garret quickly behind.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »

"Thanks for understanding Garret," John said with a smile. "Race you to the barracks," he shouted as he took off at a run.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head as he took off, putting speed behind his long-legged stride. While he lived for keeping with the steady trot of the wolf over the open ground, he could hold his own in short sprints. So far, he had seen that nothing within the garrison was all that far apart and that gave him the confidence he needed to throw in what ever speed he had.

Grey eyes locked in the general direction of the prize, occasionally looking down to watch the steady ground pass by, ready to easily by pass an obstacle. Of course the ground was littered with obstacles of the worst kind, melting snow. He heard and felt his feet plant themselves into the treacherous slush. The barracks came into view and he gave up watching the danger beneath him and continued the last stretch, unaware of where John was at the moment.

He slowed as bit as he neared the building, not too keen on the idea of hitting the wall. When he got close enough he tried to stop completely, still with some speed behind him, making his mistake. His booted feet slipped out from beneath him and for the second time today he found himself on his back in the melting snow. Eyes peered up at the sky above him as he caught the breath that had been momentarily knocked from him.

With a sigh and slight groan he pulled himself out of the muck, slinging a melting snow and mud from his hands as he did so and shaking his head, his light brown hair whiping around. At last he pried himself up, trying to wipe as much of the stuff from he back and legs as he did so. Finally he looked up at John with a grin on his face as he recalled their first meeting, shortly after he had done nearly the same thing this morning.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2008, 01:58:00 AM »

John took off at break neck speed, for the barracks, but lost his footing on the soft ground and almost fell. He had just put on his best uniform to go to the Captain's and did not want to get it dirty, so he ran toward more solid ground, though he knew it was a bit longer to get to the barracks that way it was safer.

He turned back and saw Garret take off at a lope after him, it was an easy run, gobbling up ground fast. John knew if he was going to take the safe way to the barracks instead of going through the parade grounds he was going to have to run fast...he lost track of Garret.

John rounded the corner of one building and saw the barracks in front of him and his heart sank for he also saw Garret ahead of him. Garret must have ran through the grounds...how he did so without slipping and falling only John could guess.

John put on an extra burst of speed and then saw Garret try to slow down and that was when John saw Garret lose his footing in the soft muddy ground and before he knew it, he slipped and fell backwards in the mud and melted snow.

John halted and almost laughed when he thought that Garret may have hit his head on a rock or something and he rushed toward him. He was relieved when he saw Garret's eyes stare up at him.

John grinned, gave Garret a hands up and watched as Garret tried to get as much of the mud off of him.

"I won," John remarked. "Even if it was because you cannot keep your feet under you," he continued, laughing.

John kept on teasing Garret as they walked to the barracks. "How is your wolf going to react? I assume  he taught you how to run like you did and then you dissapoint him by falling. Would he fall like that?" John chuckled.

Then he became serious. "I am glad you were not hurt when you fell Garret. What made you think you could run full speed across such ground? Have you and your wolf done it before without any mishaps that is?" John asked.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »

"I won," he announced, laughing as he continued. "Even if it was because you cannot keep your feet under you."

Garret just grunted, flinging the last bit of muck that clung to his fingers at John, though he couldn't help the grin that formed on his face. As they walked to the barracks, John continued to tease him, laughing at his slip while Garret just ran his fingers through his hair, trying to get as much mud and snow from it as he could before returning to brushing off his clothing.

"How is your wolf going to react? I assume  he taught you how to run like you did and then you disappoint him by falling. Would he fall like that?" John teased. Garret just rolled his eyes and grinned, about give choice answer when John's tone changed.

"I am glad you were not hurt when you fell Garret. What made you think you could run full speed across such ground? Have you and your wolf done it before without any mishaps that is?" John asked.

Even though he was asked a serious question, Garret couldn't help but grin and blurt out the first response that came too his head. "Of course, but it always goes wrong when I try to stop." He paused for a moment before giving a serious reply. "We have little use for actually running anywhere. I rarely run on conditions like that, but all common sense fled in the name of fun. The few times that we have run over melting snow didn't go too badly as we had plenty of time to stop, or purposely slid through the slush," Garret replied with a shrug, grinning once more.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:34 AM »

Garret was trying to brush most of the ice and mud away from his clothes and hair as John continued to tease him, then Garret flung some mud his way. "Hey! Watch your flinging that muck," John exclaimed as he now had to wipe some of the mixture of mud and snow off his uniform.

John laughed when he heard Garret's reply to his question about how Garret's wolf would react and then Garret became serious and John listened carefully as they walked the short distance to the door of the barracks.

"It was fun, and I enjoyed it," John said, "but how come you and your wolf never ran? Were you not ever chased by those who wanted to do you harm?" John asked.

The barracks door loomed large and John opened it allowing Garret to enter first as he waited for Garret to reply.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

"It was fun, and I enjoyed it," John said, "but how come you and your wolf never ran? Were you not ever chased by those who wanted to do you harm?" John asked.

"Not all that often, but sometimes we run. We are usually left alone but we've had our close calls with some self-proclaimed lords of the roads. An easy trot will cover more distance in a day then sprinting for periods of them and then resting. Though went the weathers nice there always time for goofing off. Most of the times I've has to run over melting snow was when there was nothing to do and nowhere to be," Garret replied.

He had been speaking while they were walking and hadn't realized until now that they had entered the barracks. Grey eyes swept over his surroundings quickly before moving toward his bunk, against the north wall. With a small groan he sank down onto the floor, leaning against the wooden end of his bunk. They were to move to different quarters today and he didn't feel like dealing with cleaning much. One hand reached back under the bunk where he had stored his pack and meager supplies quickly before heading out to the training field earlier.

Garret pulled out another shirt but before he could replace it with the mud and snow covered one he was wearing, a flash of silver was seen. Shadowfoot was on his in the next moment, nudging and nipping at his numb hands and covering his face in slobber.

"Get off ya hound," Garret exclaimed, pushing the large wolf away, grumbling something bout still being more of a dog than a wolf. Shadowfoot just sat by his knees, tongue lulling out of his mouth, and his usual 'grin' on his face. Garret just rolled his eyes and continued what he was doing. He pulled of his muck covered shirt, feeling heat flood the scars on his back, and was suddenly glad that his back was against the bunk. Quickly he pulled his new shirt on, relaxing again, as the heat ebbed.

He sat back against the bunk again, reaching forward to scratch behind Shadowfoot's ear, feeling whole once again. The wolf licked his hand once before moving forward, laying his head in Garret's lap, allowing him to give him more attention. Garret chuckled and continued to scratch the animal while his grey eyes glanced around the room.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:04 AM »

Sgt. Lynch was the only one in the barracks when Garret and John walked in. He took one look at Garret and roared with laughter.

He watched Garret go to his bunk, pull out his pack and take out another shirt and begin to put it on when Garret's wolf came bounding in and pounced on Garret. Lynch as well as John who's bunk was opposite of Garret's watched with a bit of jealousy as the two romped around like a couple of kids.

Then Garret put his shirt on, sat down on the floor at the end of his bunk and his wolf laid his head on his knee.

"It would seem that your wolf..."

"His name is Shadowfoot," said John interrupting the Sarge.

Lynch gave John a quick hard stare and then continued. "Shadowfoot, has missed you. He acts more like a puppy dog than an Ashmarian Wolf. Never had a dog, but we had a cat that followed me all over the place back at the farm."

John gave Lynch a quick glance. "Sarge, you never told me you were a farm boy, how come?" John asked.

"You never asked," was Lynch's reply. "Besides none of your buisness at the time and if any one of you tell anyone that I had a pet cat I will skin you alive!" Lynch glared at both of the boys to make sure they understood.

"Sure Sarge, we promise not to tell anyone that you're a putty cat lover," John said, trying to keep a straight face.

Lynch pulled out his big daggar and began heading for John, murder in his eyes.

John quickly backed away, his hands up in front of him. "I was only joking Sarge. Come on, put the knife down."

Lynch turned and gave Garret a wink and then with a very swift, smoothly practiced movement turned toward John, flicked his wrist and the knife went flying, past John's head and stuck nearly up to the hilt in John's bunk.

John's face blanched white.

Lynch grinned, "I was only joking too."

John was not so sure as he stared at Lynch who pulled his knife out of the wooden post. He slipped it back into its sheath and walked back to his bunk. "You two had better hurry up and pack. The rest are eating chow and chow time is almost over. I expect it will be the last time we get decent chow for a quite a while," Lynch said as he cinched his pack on his back and walked toward the front door.

John quickly began packing his gear and in moments was packed. He knew Garret did not have much to pack and saw Garret and Shadowfoot with the Sarge leaving the barracks and walking toward the chow hall.

John shouted, "Hey, wait up. Sarge do you know where we are going?" He asked when he caught up to the two.

"To Coor and back," was Lynch's reply.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

"It would seem that your wolf..." Lynch started, but John interrupted, giving him the name. Garret turned his attention to the others, still scratching behind Shadowfoot's ear with one hand. Lynch shot a hard stare in John's direction before continuing.

"Shadowfoot, has missed you. He acts more like a puppy dog than an Ashmarian Wolf. Never had a dog, but we had a cat that followed me all over the place back at the farm."

Garret grinned, "He's a Mithral, but yeah. He's only about a year old now, though I doubt he'll ever grow out of his puppy stage and he acts more like a dog than a wolf most times."

"Sarge, you never told me you were a farm boy, how come?" John asked.

"You never asked," Lynch replied. "Besides none of your business at the time and if any one of you tell anyone that I had a pet cat I will skin you alive!"

Garret just kept his grin, trying to keep from laughing at the stare he got from the man. In the short time he had known him; he couldn't believe he was a 'cat-person'. Garret had always been a dog person and had little love for cats. This probably came from the faint outline of four little scars on his left arm, the reminder of an encounter with a rather vicious alley cat that was beating up on a kid's pup. Though he probably did deserve it, as cats probably don't like being hit with pieces of wood, but then again, they shouldn't pick on pups. Garret just shrugged off the memory and turned back to the conversation.

"Sure Sarge, we promise not to tell anyone that you're a putty cat lover," John said, trying to keep a straight face. With that Garret struggled even harder to keep from laughing. When Lynch pulled out his big dagger and began heading for John, Garret's grin dropped and he started to rise to his feet, hand on the hilt of his sword.

"I was only joking Sarge. Come on, put the knife down," John said, backing up.

The next moment Lynch turned and shot a quick wink in Garret's direction. The large youth visibly relaxed, and returned to scratching the silver wolf, rolling his eyes at the pair. He watched as Lynch threw the knife in John's directions. He still held his breath even though he could see from the movements that he knew what he was doing. Many mercenaries in his old groups had some skill at knife throwing. Grey eyes followed the knife as it sailed past John's head and sunk into the wooden post of one of the bunks.

"I was only joking too," Lynch said with a grin.

"You two had better hurry up and pack. The rest are eating chow and chow time is almost over. I expect it will be the last time we get decent chow for a quite a while," Lynch said after he pulled the knife from the bunk post and put his pack on.

Garret balled his still damp shirt up and stuffed it into a separate pouch of his leather pack, deciding he didn't want to have to go through and clean all of his things because he couldn't keep his footing. He stood, stretching as he watched John pack. Garret turned toward the door, following Sarge out to ward the mess hall, knowing John would be behind them in a moment.

"Hey, wait up," John called. When he caught up he asked, "Sarge do you know where we are going?"

"To Coor and back," Lynch replied. A shiver rippled down Garret's spine, and he reached down to run his fingers though the silver fur of his 'brother', comforted by the fact that he was by his side again.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]