Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Castle Of Thevelin(Nyermersis)  (Read 45297 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2007, 01:17:24 AM »

Nichole turned and faced Christian her eyes searching his face and waiting for what he would say. Was that fear in her eyes? thought Christian.  He smiled at her to ease her fears, if that was what it was.

"Nichole, I have made Lady Simonne my Counselor; which means she will be my closest confidant and advisor to help me make wise decisions concerning me and my kingdom. She is going to need an assistant and I have decided to make you that assistant. You have a unique and special ability. You cannot speak, but you can hear and you are intelligent. If we tell those who ask your are deaf as well as dumb therefore you would be able to be privy to conversations because those speaking would think you cannot hear them. I know it is a bit of a subterfuge and you will have to act like you cannot hear, but if it works, you could be a tremendous help to me and Lady Simonne."

He paused a moment and his brows furrowed as a thought came into his head.

"Of course we are going to have find a way for you to communicate with us, since you cannot write either. Perhaps this is not as good as plan as I had thought," he mused looking past Nichole, he looked at Lady Simonne. "I guess I should have thought this through a bit more and asked your advice. But I still want Nichole to be your assistant," he added quickly.

He suddenly snapped his fingers and looked at Nichole. "You found a way to communicate with someone, did you not? The young soldier who found you. You found a way to communicate with him. How? Too bad you cannot tell me his name. I guess I will have to wait until Farrel returns and then ask him what his name was. It may be that he can explain to me how he communicated with you,"

He began pacing the floor. "Yes, that must be it. I wonder where Farrel is anyway and if he found Petrie and his young assistant? What is his name Lady Simonne? I forgot," he asked.
Simonne Miller
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »

Simonne watched and listened, her face quite composed. She hid her hands in the long sleeves of her new gown - actually, they were just cold and she tried to warm them on her arms, but the pose struck her as a good one for the new Counselor of the Earl. She was quick enough with her answer when the pacing Earl asked her a question.

"Heath, sir. His name is Heath." She deliberately used the present tense, not willing to accept the possibility that he might be dead. The boy reminded her of a son she'd never had, so she couldn't believe that he would die. She refused to believe it. So if he wasn't dead, he had to be alive. The same applied to Petrie. She just hoped that Farrel would find the both of them soon.
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
Story Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2007, 08:27:23 PM »

"Oh, yes. Heath," Christian said, giving Simonne a smile. He noticed the use of present tense, and remembered the way she felt for him. A son in place for one never born... it must be a good feeling to be a parent, he thought sliently. Maybe he would feel that way in the future. Maybe the palace will have children's laughter like it was when he was young.

"Well, we had better get to the meeting," he said, coming out of his thoughts. "Ladies," he said, a smile colouring his tone as he offered both women his arms.

Simonne Miller
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »

((OOC: I forgot every time to tell you this and it's really pretty minor, but Christian doesn't really know how Simonne feels about Heath. Maybe he could half-and-half guess, from the conversation he eavesdropped on, but knowing... I don't think so.))

Simonne smiled at the Earl, taking his arm at the same time. Her other hand was occupied by her cane - she didn't think she would need her herbs, so she left that in the room. The herbalist waited for Nichole to do the same, then she started moving. The three of them walked down the hallway, with the wolf Sammy walking behind. She was still surprised that the animal had healed so well, so quickly. Then again, she didn't know all that much about healing wolves, so maybe it was normal for them. In any case, animals - wild animals - had a natural resilience which bounced them back to their feet more quickly than humans. The wolf's master, though, had healed remarkably well too. Which was a good thing, considering the meeting ahead.

When they entered the room in which the meeting was going to happen, she saw that most places were taken. At the head of the table were three empty chair. She assumed the largest one to be Christian's, so she took the seat on the right - until recently Balthizar's rightful position. Under the ensuing mutterings and glances in her direction, she kept a straight face, showing these people that she knew what she was doing - and that it was her right to do so. She felt, more than saw, Christian take his own seat. She didn't see Nichole sit down - the girl might have, but Simonne was too busy staring the men down. It seemed that she and the girl were the only women attending the meeting. Just wonderful.

Christian

The Earl of Nyer took his seat, looking at the heads of business one by one. Some looked back. Most, however, were either looking at the new Counsillor, or muttering to each other about her. Very calmly, Christian placed both his hands in front of him on the table. The movement was, in fact, calm and controlled enough to draw the attention of a few more of the merchants. He took a deep breath, then said pleasantly, but just a tad bit more loudly than the conversations: "Gentlemen."
Then he waited.

It was enough. One by one the conversations died down and the men turned their heads to their worldly leader. The last two men, realising how quiet it had become apart from them, quickly shut their mouths and regarded him as well. The earl sat straight and still, as did his Counsillor, untill all were quiet. He looked those two last men in their eyes, then smiled - very pleasantly. In fact, he smiled so pleasantly that they got cold shivers down their spine, despite the sun which was shining through the window. Finally, he could begin.

"Gentlemen," he repeated, "I have called you here today with a reason. Or, in fact, two reasons. The first of these you have already discussed rather eloquently. As you can see, Balthizar is no long sitting at my right. He is fallen from grace. If you wish to know why, and I do not doubt that you do: It has come to my attention that he was, in fact, in the palace at the moment of my illness. He would have left me to die, and the well-respected Petrie with me. This, I believe, is reason enough to remove him from my side. In his stead, you see here Simonne Miller, a herbalist of great renown throughout Sarvonia - so I am assured by Petrie - who has saved my life when nobody else could. She has helped me discover of Balthizar's duplicity. This is why I have named her my Counsillor.

The mutterings and buzzings of earlier resumed in full force. "A woman? He actually appointed a woman his counsillor?" "That's what he said." "Can you believe that about..." Christian almost smiled, but kept a straight face. In general, there was a suppressed outcry against the fact that he had appointed a woman, more than about Balthizar's betrayal. Both his and his councillor's straight faces called the men back to attention. When everything was quiet again, he continued.

"The second reason, gentlemen, is that we will not be going to war with Voldar." Again the mutterings started, but died down pretty quickly. "The reason we would go has met with a rather unfortunate end. Lycheus will be given an honourable funeral. Since he is no longer a pretendent for the throne of Voldar, I see no reason to inflict grief on Voldarians and Nyermersians alike. We are still recovering from the last one, and we can give our resources better use than going to a war that we might or might not win. The earl fell silent, curious to see the reactions. Some of these men had argued quite fervently in favour of one, some against. In any case, whether they would be happy or not with this announcement, one thing was certain. That second piece of news had taken their minds off Simonne.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:48:01 AM by Simonne Miller » Logged
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »

Sheridan sat back down in his chair and thoughtfully took a sip of wine as he listened to the others, especially Orcell complain about not going to war and again speaking of the caravan routes and robbers and how there would be riots because no supplies would be forth coming. The big blowhard, Sheridan thought. the only reason he was screaming so loud was because it was his caravans that were being attacked and only because he was too cheap to pay for their protection.

Sheridan had other thoughts on his mind as well as he continued to sip his wine and glance over at the Earl and his new Counselor. She looked old, almost matronly in that severe black robe but it was her eyes that arrested his attention; they were bright, alive, piercing and showed signs of intelligence that most of these buffons, especially Orcell, could not even imagine having.  The young girl standing next to her was also a mystery. The Earl did not introduce her so Sheridan supposed she was probably just one of the Earl's chambermaids. But why would he allow a chambermaid into such an important meeting? It did not make sense, and it only deepend the mystery.

The shock of hearing about Baltizar also puzzled Sheridan but he also knew of the man's ambitions. So, in a way as he thought about it, it was not so shocking after all.  What was the most puzzling of all of these revelations was the attitude, the manners, the seemingly, complete change in the Earl. What had caused him to change? Was he still ill? or was this Lady Simonne, his new Counselor, more than just a healer? Could she have given him some sort of drug to control him? Sheridan had never heard of such a drug, but that did not mean that such a thing did not exist. Whoever had heard of this poison BlackHeart, until she came along?  Many things to ponder. Many questions had have answers before he acted. Until then, he would wait.

He looked up from his cup of wine as the Earl spoke.

"Orcell, sit down. I have listened to these arguements and threats all winter. The trade agreements between ourselves and Voldar were stopped by Cedric, not King Voltigar. I already have a man in Voldar who at last communication has become close to the King. I will tell him of our plans not to go to war and instead instruct him to open a dialogue of trade."

"You mean a spy?" Orcell asked.

"Yes, a spy. After all if we would have gone to war with Voldar would it not have been prudent to know our enemy's weaknesses?" Christian answered.

"Yes, M'lord. It would," Orcell said as he sat down a slight frown creased his brow as he reached for his own cup of wine.

"I have a question, M'lord?" asked Sheridan.

"Yes, speak on Master Sheridan."

"Once Voltigar knows that there has been a spy in his midst would he not just kill the man instead of hearing him about trade agreements?"

Suddenly once again there was a huge a outcry from the men around the table. Orcell was the loudest, "Sheridan is right!"

Christian stood at the head of the table, waiting silently, thinking until the other men began to close their mouths, sat down, Orcell was the last as they waited for him to answer Master Sheridan's question.

Christian sighed, "Master Sheridan you have brought up a dilema I had not thought about. Perhaps I will just send communication to my spy and have him come home. In the meantime we should think about who we should send as a delgation to open up trade agreements with Voldar."

"What about your Counselor, M'lord? Surely Voltigar would listen to a woman?" Orcell asked.

Christan gave Orcell a withered glare as if he had seen him for the first time. He paused, glanced at Lady Simonne and then shook his head no. "No, she is needed here. I am not fully recovered. If I would have aa relapse from the poison then she would be gone and no one here knows the cure but her."

"Quite convienent, I would say," Orcell muttered.

Christian slowly walked down the table to where Orcell sat, leaned down close to his ear and whispered. "I did not hear you and I do not think the others did as well. Speak up Master Orcell so that we all can hear and once you do so be prepared to lose your head. My advice would be to apologize to Lady Simonne perhaps you have drunken too much wine."

Orcell's hands visably shook as did his voice. "I...I have drunk too.."

Then he slammed his hands down upon the table, turned and faced Christian with outrage. "No! I will not apologize! We have no idea who this woman is! Far as we know she could be a spy sent from Voldar! To me it seems quite convienent that as we are preparing for war, that you are mysteriously attacked by a poisoned arrow with a poison that only she knew how to cure and that on that same day  just happens to be in the city! I may not be as smart as Sheridan or others around here, but I would call all of that a very convienent coincendence!  Ask yourself M'lord, does that not sound just a bit too coincedental?"

Orcell swiveled and stared at the rest of the men at the table. "I ask all of you the same question?"

The men began talking amongst themselves quietly.

"M'lord, as much as I dislike agreeing with Orcell about anything. He does have a point," Sheridan said, voicing the other men's opinons. "However I believe I may have an idea to put Orcell's mind at ease and to help our trade agreement with Voldar," continued Sheridan.

Christan had been thinking about what Orcell had asked and was also quite astonished that Orcell did not back down to him. Was the change in him that self evident? Was this change really good? Yes, Orcell was a powerful man and had powerful friends among the nobles but would anyone dare to have challenged him before he was poisoned and met Lady Simonne? He would not have even talked to Orcell before, he just would have had him executed. Perhaps he was fit to rule anymore? Did the poison cause this? Or did Lady Simonne's cure? Was Orcell right?

"M'lord?" Sheridan asked again.

"What? What is it that you propose, Master Sheridan?" Christan asked as he slowly walked back to the front of the table giving Simonne a quizzical glance, before turning around and facing the men and Sheridan.

"I propose M'lord that you go yourself to Voldar and since you cannot go anywhere without your Counselor she would go with you. What better way to talk to King Voltigar than face to face." Sheridan answered.

Christan paused, thinking.

"And who would take his place while he is gone, Sheridan? You perhaps?" Orcell asked a bit sarcastically.

Sheridan smiled and slowly shook his head, "No Orcell. I propose you should."

"Really?" Orcell asked in surprise.

"Yes, that is if M'lord agrees. It should aleve you of your fears, besides who better to rule Nyermersys than one who has many powerful friends and of course the largest buisness intrests in the city. If you can rule that, then I am certain you can rule Nyermersys temporarily until his M'lord returns." Sheridan answered again.

All of the men looked toward Christian.

"I agree. It is done. I will leave for Voldar on the morrow," Christian said.
Simonne Miller
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2008, 05:50:30 AM »

Simonne sat in silence. She seemed unperturbed by the disturbances in the room. But her blue eyes had seen everything; noted everything. Even when one of them - Orcell? - accused her of being a spy of Voldar. It made her laugh, but she kept the laugh inside. To the outside, all she did was fold her hands in front of her on the table. She did not speak out, did not tell him that, however unlikely it may seem, it was indeed very much a coincidence. Her actions would have to tell him that she was not a spy. Words would not convince him, probably.

So, when the ending neared, all she could really think about the plans of going to Voldar, was 'Interesting...' She unfolded her hands and said "Very well. I will be packing my bag then. She nodded pleasantly at Orcell, then at the other who seemed to be some kind of spokesperson for the rest, she hadn't quite caught his name. She stood up and left, signalling inconspicuously at Nichole to stay where she was and pay attention. Quite likely, the men would speak more plainly with her gone...

Morgan Nichole

Another silent presence was the mute servant. She kept her head down most of the time, but she was paying attention. If anything, she was even more keen on intonations and expressions than Simonne, though she was quite sure nobody noticed her looking at them. She had noticed who'd nodded at Orcell's accusations, who'd looked somewhat doubtful. There seemed to be more on Orcell's side. Her demon was at her side, but for now she succeeded fairly well in ignoring him and concentrating on the people. When Simonne left, she nodded her understanding, as unnoticeable as the old woman had warned her. She stayed where she was, looking at men from between her lashes, waiting to see what would come.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2008, 04:15:07 AM »

Orcell was kind of happy to see the dark robed Counselor leave. She gave him the willies, though he did not know why? It was just that she looked so...so, his mind searched for a word, sinister. Yes, that would be the word, sinister.  He expected the other girl to leave as well, but she stayed and that made Orcell frown. "M'lord, is not the other woman going to leave as well?" he asked.

Christian looked down at Nichole, who briefly swept her eyes up toward his and then lowered them. Christian thought a bit before answering Orcell. "No, she is a mute and my personal servant. She will stay," he replied, with a tone in his voice that implied he would not tolerate any more discussion on the matter.

Orcell nodded, "Yes, M'lord, as you wish," he said as he sat down. Who was he to argue? He was soon going to be the leader of Nyermersys.

However another pair of eyes looked pensive and disturbed by the girl being there. He watched her and though she may be mute, he was certain that she could hear everything and even possibly discern more from mere inflection's of a person's voice or his movements, than most people could even imagine. His concern was not that Orcell was going to be made leader of Nyermersys. Orcell was a buffoon! He probably had his wife pick out his clothes. No, it was this new Counselor, this mute girl, and the sudden and dramatic change he saw in the Earl.  His master will not be pleased that Christian stopped the war.

He sipped some wine and popped some grapes into his mouth as he continued to think through these new developments and new people in the Earl's life. He wondered if there was any chance of releasing Baltizar once Christian leaves of course? And what his master will do? His master had pinned his plans on having Nyermersys and Voldar at war before his master plan went into action.  What that plan was, he was not privy to, at least not yet. But he was certain once he told his master these events that he would be told. 

He sat there and drank his wine, savoring it's boquet as he listened to the boring plans discussed by the Earl and Orcell about the temporary change of leadership.

Soon it was over. The details were all worked out, between the two and Christian rose. "I think that should do it. Orcell will be temporary leader of Nyermersys once I leave for Voldar.  I do not think we need to tell the common people, best to keep the change in leadership between ourselves. It may cause some uprest if we tell them our plans.  Orcell understands that he will make no policy changes and that his duty is just to make sure Nyermersys runs smoothly, just as it does now, unless of course there is an emergency and then he has the full power and authority as if he were me. But I do not think such a crisis will happen. I think the trip to Voldar and back should take no more than a month. So, if that is all I think we should adjourn so I can begin to pack," Christian said with a grin.

Sheridan raised his half empty glass of wine. M'lord, one question?"

"Yes, Master Sheridan," Christian said.

"Can I have a bottle of this fine wine?"

Everyone laughed, including Christian who was not looking forward to another long discussion. Sheridan always did like his wine. "Yes, Master Sheridan. I will gladly give you two bottles if you would all leave and let me begin packing."

Sheridan unsteadily stood up, and with a flourish he bowed, "As M'lord wishes," he said, "And thank you for the wine."

A steward came in with two bottles of the wine and handed them to Sheridan. "Thank you, my good man," he said, plinking down a few sans into the stewards hand, "I am off and Master Orcell, congratulations."

Sheridan slowly weaved his way out of the room and down the castle hallway.

Orcell shook his head, a bit confused. He thought Sheridan was going to fight to be the leader of Nyermersys but he actually nominated Orcell. Then he drank himself into a stupor. That was expected of the man, he did drink too much. Well, enough about Sheridan, Orcell thought, he was going to be the Earl of Nyermersys. Earl Orcell it had a nice ring to it, he thought as he walked out of the room, the last to leave.

Christian and Nichole walked silenty toward his personal quarters. He was still wondering if making Orcell the temporary leader of his city a smart thing to do?  He shrugged his shoulders. It did not matter anyway, as it was already done and when he left tomorrow, Orcell will be in charge.  What could happen in a month? It was not like they were in a war or an economic crisis, no, the city is fine and it will run fine no matter who is in charge until he returns.

They passed Lady Simonne's quarters. He stopped and knocked on her door.  He had to give Nichole back to her; though he had told the men that she was his personal servant, he had told her and Lady Simonne, something entirely different and he meant to keep his promise.

As he waited for Lady Simonne to open her door, his thoughts drifted to Farrel and his mission and wondered if he had found Petrie and his student...Heath?
Simonne Miller
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2008, 12:21:14 AM »

Finally... Finally there was the gate to the palace. Thank the gods! It shouldn't have lasted much longer, no matter how light Petrie was, he was starting to weigh in Thomas's arms. And he needed a healer, soon. He was still breathing, but it was shallow. "You there! Open the gate! I have wounded people here, some of whom the Earl asked after specifically. Let us through!" The guard, startled into obedience, opened the door for the party.

As soon as they were in the castle, Thomas barked to a servant: "Where's the Earl? Lead us to him, at once!" He didn't really like barking to the startled maid, but this was urgent. "I seen him knocking on the councillor's door, sir. Is this a-way!" With a quick curtsey, the maid led them through some hallways, until they stopped in front of a massive wooden door. Seeing that most of the men's hands were full, she knocked in their stead, then went on her way. Thomas hoped that an answer would come soon, and that the Earl would call that healer that they needed.

She was already sitting in her chair when a knock sounded on the door. Everything that she needed was in her backpack; and she hadn't unloaded that yet. So all she had to decide was whether to wear her travelling clothes, or these new ones that she'd been given. She decided on the new ones, since she would still have to look the part when they left. If it was necessary, she could always change clothes along the way.

So, when the knock sounded, she was ready. She got up and opened the door for the Earl, motioning him and the silent girl behind him inside. "Well!" She said cheerfully. "That went rather well, don't you think? Of course, they don't like the change in you, but then people never do like anything that is different from what they are used to." She winked at him. "Don't worry, they'll accept it soon enough."

She was hardly done talking when another knock came on the door. With a raised eyebrow at the Earl, she silently opened the door. In came a whole group of people - seven, she realised after a quick count, though some of them weren't walking. When she looked at the one who was carried in front of the group, she covered her mouth with her hand. Oh no! Her consternation didn't last very long though. People needed healing here! That was more important than any kind of political game. Not thinking that the earl had precedence here, since she only had eye for the wounded, she started giving directions. "Put Petrie on the bed, and Heath too. You!" That was to the soldier, the one who'd carried Petrie. "Sit, you're swaying where you stand." Turning around: "Nichole, dear, go and fetch a servant here." Turning again, to face the much shrunken standing group: "The lieutenant has his own room, close to here. Please go put him in his own bed. I will be there soon, or else another of the Earl's healers."

Before she could go over to the unconscious Petrie, Nichole came back with the servant girl that had led the group there. Simonne smiled at her. "Could you go and fetch some of the Earl's healers, love? Tell one of them to go look at the Lieutenant, the others should come here." Then she turned to Petrie, who she judged was in the worst state of all of them. She touched him here and there, listening to his breathing and his heart, looking at the wound on his head. What kind of a beast had given an old man a wound like that? It was nothing that she couldn't cure, but she didn't know how long he'd been unconscious.

She started rummaging in her pack, and got out a little sponge. Turning to Nichole again, she asked her to find a bowl of water. While waiting for that to arrive, she ground some of her herbs together to make a poultice for Petrie's head wound. When the water arrived, she dipped the sponge in it and held it to the old man's lips, squeezing slightly. Part of the water dribbled onto his cheeck, but some of it landed in his mouth. She carefully rubbed his adam's apple to make him swallow the water, then repeated the proces. She did not want to take the chance that he might dehydrate before he woke up. Applying the poultice to the wound, she bandaged the head with the help of Nichole. Just then the healers arrived, and she sent one to Heath and one to the soldier, so that she could check up on the lieutenant, since he had seemed very much injured as well. However, when she got there, she found them to be pretty straightforward wounds, got in a fight apparently, nothing that the healer who was working with him couldn't handle. Ok, so perhaps that was a pretty vain thought... Mentally shrugging it off, she turned to the only stranger in the room - the other were wearing the guard livery, so it was pretty obvious they were from Nyer. This guy was pretty short, and he'd helped the lieutenant get here. "Are you alright, friend? Nothing injured?"
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

Yurie was grateful when the group reached the gates to the palace.  As they approached, he looked up at the imposing building warily, wondering how they were going to get in.

"You there! Open the gate! I have wounded people here, some of whom the Earl asked after specifically. Let us through!"

Without any further delay, the gates were opened and the group allowed access.  As Yurie made his way inside he had a slightly uncomfortable feeling, as though he shouldn't really be there.  He had a gnawing anxiety that the gate guard would suddenly lay a heavy hand on his shoulder and ask him who he was and why he was here.  But it never happened, and Yurie continued onwards with the rest of them.

Once they were inside the castle itself, Thomas accosted a servant and asked her where the earl was.  She mentioned something about a councillor and then led them further into the castle.

Everything was happening a bit quickly for Yurie's liking.  Before long they had reached a closed door and Thomas was banging on it loudly.  Now, if I've been following things right, then I'm just about to meet the earl and his councillor!  This thought filled Yurie with curiosity.  He'd never really spent much time with nobles.  As the door opened and the rag-tag group surged in, Yurie wondered what the earl would look like.  Would he be tall and imposing or corpulent and jolly?  Would he be wearing severe armour or fine silks?  But then his musings were cut short as he tumbled into the councillor's chamber.

The first person he noticed was an elderly woman in a fine red dress.  She seemed shocked to see them, and immediately started giving orders.  "Put Petrie on the bed, and Heath too. You!  Sit, you're swaying where you stand."  Then she turned to another lady, whom Yurie guessed was a princess or something of the like.  The deep purple dress that she was wearing reeked of royalty.

"Nichole, dear, go and fetch a servant here."  The elderly lady said to the younger woman.  That's funny, I thought you weren't supposed to call princesses by their first name.  Still, I could be wrong!

"The lieutenant has his own room, close to here. Please go put him in his own bed. I will be there soon, or else another of the Earl's healers."  The guard who was supporting Farrell's other arm nodded briefly and motioned for Yurie to join him in escorting the lieutenant to his own chamber.

It didn't take long for them to reach Farrell's room.  After helping the lieutenant to sit down on the edge of his bed, Yurie took a quick look around.  The room itself was fairly spartan, quite fitting for a soldier.  The walls were stone, which gave a cold, impersonal feeling.  A small group of guards were fussing around the lieutenant, and a healer had arrived, too.

Yurie's mind flitted back to the councillor's room.  He could still see the beautiful enigma in purple and the elderly woman; but what about the earl?  There had only been one other person in the room when they had entered, but he didn't look like Yurie had imagined.  His plain clothes and seemingly impotent reaction didn't seem to fit the position of earl at all. I wonder if that was really him?

Just then, Yurie found himself gazing into a kind, wrinkled face.  Two brown eyes peered at him, bright with age and wisdom.

"Are you alright, friend? Nothing injured?"

Yurie felt himself smile.

"I'm just fine, mother; don't you worry 'bout me!  But I do feel a bit funny standing here like this.  If there's anything I can do to help then just let me know!"

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »

Simonne had let Christian in and he was just standing by the fireplace as he watched her pack and then she calmly sat down on her chair and took out her knitting. They did not speak to one another as each seemed to be lost in their own thoughts; his thoughts were on his decision to leave Nyermersys, he had to send a message by a Wyndrider to Clayton to stop his operations and he was much concerned about Farrell's mission. He wondered if Farrel had found Petrie and Heath?

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Simonne gave him a glance, he nodded and she opened the door. A group of men crashed into the room; two were carrying Petrie who looked liked death itself and Christian wondered if he was dead? Two others, a city guard and a man Christian did not know, were holding up Farrel, who had been obviously wounded on his right side as blood had soaked through his shirt he wore.

Simonne quickly jumped into action and gave orders like a general; put Petrie and Heath on the bed, asked Nichole to fetch a servant girl, told the stranger and the city guard to take Farrel to his room. In the meantime she began crushing up herbs, put them in water and taking a sponge, dripped some of the broth onto Petrie's dry lips and coaxed the liquid down his throat by rubbing his adams apple. She moved so quickly, so surely, that Christian stood there in awe and amazement. if only his General's, Colonel's, and Captains could do the same, he would have the best army in the world! he thought.

Since Simonne did not ask him to anything and he really did not know what he could do to help, he just stood there and watched the clockwork of organization that Simonne ordered and gave. Suddenly the stranger who had helped Farrel from where ever they had come from came back into the room. Simonne, having already done what she could for Petrie for the time being turned her attention to the stranger; asking him if he was hurt or anything?

He answered no, but offered his help. His eyes swept toward Christian and Christian could guess by the look in the man's eyes his thoughts: Who was he? Who was the girl dressed in purple, but mostly, probably the man was wondering who he was. Christian almost let him leave, guessing, and he would have done so before Simonne came along, but he was a changed man.

He stepped toward the man. "I thank you sir for you help and kindness. I am Christian Legrimond; Earl of Nyermyersys. Please stay, I would like to ask you some questions. Are you hungry or thirsty? I could ask one of the servants to bring something. I would like some wine, but," he glanced at Simonne and Nichole who was giving him a no no look, gave a sly smile, "but there are some who would rather I not, but you are more than welcome to have a glass. There is some fruit here, but if you're really hungry I could send for meats and cheeses. What is your pleasure? Christian asked.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

When Yurie had finished speaking, the man in plain clothes stepped forwards.

Suddenly, it became apparent just how tall and imposing this man really was.  He towered over Yurie, his presence exuding confidence and authority.  Hmm, maybe this is the earl, afterall!  Yurie thought to himself.

Then the man started to speak, and his deep, steady voice contained within it the obedient ghosts of a thousand commands.

"I thank you sir for you help and kindness. I am Christian Legrimond; Earl of Nyermyersys. Please stay, I would like to ask you some questions. Are you hungry or thirsty? I could ask one of the servants to bring something. I would like some wine, but," the earl glanced over at the two ladys before continuing, his voice twisted slightly, just like the sly smile that had crept over his lips, "but there are some who would rather I not, but you are more than welcome to have a glass. There is some fruit here, but if you're really hungry I could send for meats and cheeses. What is your pleasure?"

At first, Yurie was speechless.  Actually, he didn't really know how to reply to a noble.  So, deciding that it would be best to just act naturally, or as naturally as he good manage, he replied in his usual way.

"Well, Christian...sir...erm...I've already eaten; but thank you for the offer.  That wine sounds good, though!  I could do with something to steady my nerves, it's been a pretty eventful day so far!  It's not every day that I meet an earl and a," Yurie glanced over at the elegantly clad lady in purple, "a princess!"

Not knowing whether he had acted in an appropriate way, Yurie stopped himself from talking further and turned his attention back to the earl, waiting for his reply.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »

Christian tried to hide the smile that crept over his face as he listened to the young man.

"Well, Christian...sir...erm...I've already eaten; but thank you for the offer.  That wine sounds good, though!  I could do with something to steady my nerves, it's been a pretty eventful day so far!  It's not every day that I meet an earl and a," Yurie glanced over at the elegantly clad lady in purple, "a princess!"

Christian looked over at Nichole and then back at the young man with a quizzical look upon his face. Then he grinned. "Christian is my given name and most call me Sir, or Earl. I usually do not allow those who do not know me personally to call me by my first name; but I shall make an exception in your case. You have asked for some wine and have alluded to an eventful day. This eventful day is what I wish to talk to you about, but first the wine."

He spoke to a servant girl who quickly curtsied and then scurried off.

Christian turned his attention back to the young man. "While we wait for your wine let me introduce you to these ladies. The more wise looking one is my Counselor and a well respected healer, her name is Lady Simonne. The other one dressed in purple whom you thought of as a princess is her maid-in-waiting, her name is Nichole. She cannot speak but she can hear very well. Now why do you not tell us your name, make yourself comfortabel and tell us about this eventful day you say you have had."

Christian motioned to a soft cushioned, rather largely overstuffed chair near the table. "Excuse me for a moment. I must have a word with Lady Simonne," Christian said, as the servant girl came in with a canter of wine and several silver goblets. She placed them on the table, poured some dark rich red wine into one and waited.

"You may leave, Issabelle. But leave the canter on the table," Christian said.

The girl curtsied once more and then left.

Christian went over to Simonne and leaning over her whispered, "Is Petrie going to live?" He asked concernedly.

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2008, 01:24:29 AM »

Yurie noticed the puzzled look that came over the earl's face when he mentioned the word "princess", and guessed that he'd made a mistake.  Not that it mattered, for soon enough the earl was grinning at him broadly and explaining his title.

After ordering some wine to be brought, Christian formally introduced the two ladies.

"The more wise looking one is my Counselor and a well respected healer, her name is Lady Simonne."  Yurie bowed his head briefly in her direction as the earl continued.  "The other one dressed in purple whom you thought of as a princess is her maid-in-waiting, her name is Nichole. She cannot speak but she can hear very well."  Yurie's lips parted slightly as he realised why the earl had looked confused earlier.  Then he bowed his head in Nichole's direction, too.  "Now why do you not tell us your name, make yourself comfortabel and tell us about this eventful day you say you have had."

"Well, the name's Yurie, Yurie Yileen.  I come from the Elverground but have been travelling extensively."

The earl motioned to a soft looking chair, indicating that Yurie should be seated.  Yurie smiled in thanks; his legs were pretty tired.  After perching himself on the chair's edge, a servant placed a canter of wine and several silver goblets onto the table in front of him.  She carefully poured some of the dark red liquor into one of the goblets and was then dismissed by Christian, who made his way over to Simonne.

Yurie reached for the goblet and gently swirled the wine around.  A strong, floral aroma reached his nostrils.  Mmm, smells good, Yurie thought to himself as he raised the goblet closer to his nose.

Sun kissed vineyards and clear blue skies floated into his mind as he deeply inhaled the wine's bouquet.  Closing his eyes, Yurie took another sniff.  This time he felt a myriad of flowers open inside his head, releasing their sweet and alluring scents.

After enjoying the heady fragrance, Yurie dipped the little finger of his right hand into the luscious red nectar.  As he delicately flicked a small drop of wine off his finger onto the floor, he mentally paid his respects to Father Sky.  Then he repeated the procedure twice more; once for Mother Earth and once for the Wat'a'kan.

Satisfied that the wine was now sanctified and ready to drink, Yurie took a small sip.  He rolled it around his mouth, allowing it to wash over his entire palette.  It was certainly good quality; much better than he was used to drinking.

As he waited for Christian to return, Yurie continued to sip the wine, allowing its warmth to melt his tensions and inhibitions.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:04 AM »

"I see you enjoy a good glass of wine as much as I do, Master Yurie," Christian said, as he poured himself a glass of water, took a sip, made a face,

He put the glass down on the table before he settled himself on a chair opposite of Yurie.  He did not get a reply from Simonne and assumed she was so absorbed in bringing Petrie back to full health that she did not hear him.

"Now Master Yurie could you please tell me how you came to be in the company of my Lt, who also happens to be my brother-in-law, and the boy, called Heath, and this old man who is my personal physician, Petrie?" Christian asked pleasantly.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

Soon enough, the earl made his way back over to Yurie and poured himself some water.  "I see you enjoy a good glass of wine as much as I do, Master Yurie," he said as he showed his distaste for the non-alcoholic beverage that he had just imbibed.

After settling his large frame down onto a chair, the earl continued speaking.

"Now Master Yurie could you please tell me how you came to be in the company of my Lt, who also happens to be my brother-in-law, and the boy, called Heath, and this old man who is my personal physician, Petrie?"

Yurie put the goblet of wine down and started to answer the questions.

"Well, sir, I guess you could say it was destiny.  I only flew into this city earlier today, looking for a place to stay and an opportunity to make some coin.  And, after eating, I kind of found my way down to the river, and that's when I heard the shout for help."

Yurie paused to take another quick sip of the wine.

"It came from a boat pretty close to where I was standing, and, well, I did what comes natural, you know; I just ran on board to see who needed help."

Yurie's memory flashed back to the scene that had first met him on the boat.  "Now, there were a lot of rough looking sailors and a couple of city guards.  Lieutanent Farrel and Thomas, as it turns out.  Well, before I knew what was happening, one of those sailors jumped at me with his cutlass drawn."  Once again Yurie saw the first sailor's face contort in pain as he collapsed from the spear wound.  Not knowing whether he should mention such a thing, Yurie skipped over it.  "Well, I managed to stop him, and then the whole thing went crazy.  I don't remember too much about it.  Just a big fight, you know?  Oh, and Barega here helped out a lot as well."  Yurie gestured to the large crow that had been perched peacefully on his shoulder.

"Hmm...eventually the sailors' gave up and I went over to help Farrel.  The captain of the ship was in a bad way, his arm was hanging off, but he managed to land a pretty bad blow on the Lieutanent, too.  Then Thomas brought the old man and the boy up from somewhere in the ship.  And, well, then we came straight here."

Yurie picked up the wine again and drained it.  Placing the empty goblet back onto the table he waited to see how the earl would respond to his story.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]