Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter IV Sewers, Thieves, Brownies and Hero's  (Read 26067 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« on: March 08, 2002, 01:50:22 AM »

I say lets go and allow Soya to take the lead.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 01:56:22 AM »

Terra heads for the stable doors, as the rest of the group sets out as well.

'Life is a grim reality, through which only honor shines.'

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 06:32:22 AM »

Almenda asks if  Swing could communicate with the horses and lead them down to the harbour, but Talia only smiles and shakes her head, then Koldar is coming and reassures Almenda that he will master his horse and so Talia gives Swing a last hug, pats Almenda on the shoulder and whispers quickly into his ear: „Have fun with the mandolin if Avour gives you the time,“ and follows Soya and Capher out of the door, not sure if she would not prefer to be somewhere else now. To fight in  some tunnels and trying to steal something precious is a quite different thing than an  fight in the open desert with a honourable reason.

***Astropic of the day***

Almenda
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 06:51:22 AM »

Almenda waves goodbye to the party, and almost wishes he could help them. <If only I had a bow.> He then says to the animals "Now, you guys and gals be good while I check on Avour." He makes sure to have each tied to somthing except for Swing, who he belives would stay put. He then heads out to the hallway. <I wonder why they warned me about Avour. I mean, what harm can a child do.> He then thinks he hears a crash, and mutters under his breath as he hurrys along, "Then again, maybe she will be a problem."

OOC: Please notice Avour, that I <I>thought</I> I heard a crash. you don't have to be in trouble just yet. ;)  

"Not all who wander are lost."- J.R.R. Tolkien, The  Fellowship of the Ring.

Avour
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 07:10:22 AM »

Avour listens as Koldar explains about the room, then walks to the door and stops as she sees Soya. Thinking how Koldar started treating Talia before she frowns. "Well, I think Talia doesn't know where to put this She-kin and currently doesn't know where to put me either... Ah, I don't know!" All her attention is brought back to Koldar when he raises his voice. Avour looks at him her upset emotions showing clearly on her face. She hadn't done anything to warrent being yelled at and stood there like a stunned mullet.

Tears filled her eyes when he just walked away with Soya, Avour realising that they were heading towards the others she silently followed them down the stairs. Her eyes looking down, full of water although the tears not dropping. Not looking where she is going Avour falls down the stairs and bumbs into the railing.

She steadies her self and then sits up right, then walks towards the door seeing everyone heading away. "No want Avour." She says sadly "Talia-Human no say goodbye". Rubbing her head which had copped a fair amount of punishment over the past few days. Avour, feeling some what stunned turns around and starts to walk towards the bar. "Dwarven drink" She says when she gets there and takes out a few coins, knowing that for the little round "things" you get "things" in return.

Avour takes a mouthful and leans against the bar. "Koldar-human yell at Avour. Talia-Human no say bye. Avour hate Soya-human. She take Avour place" She stares blankly and takes another swig of her drink.

ooc - *grin*

“You’d be lost if I wasn’t here to annoy you”
             – Little Sister speaking to Big Sister.......
Character Description

Almenda
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2002, 07:15:22 AM »

As Almenda ran to the room, he finds that Avour is not there, so he starts searching the Inn. He finally finds her in the bar, drinking some ale. "Excuse me miss Avour, but I don't think you want to drink that stuff. It might be a bit strong for you. You do have to be sober for tonight. Maybe on the ship you can have a drink, but please, not right now."

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2002, 02:35:22 AM »

Soya takes the lead followed by Capher, Talia and Terra. Koldar silently takes the position behind them wrapping his coat close around him fixing it with his belt to stay out of the way. With quick and decisive steps she leads the party into the maze of dark alleys and narrow passages again. Most of the buildings are old and bad treated by the weather and their inhabitants. The small streets are often filled with garbage, mud and sometimes worse and only sparsely lit.
The night is dark and they encounter none on their way. After several crossroads the way gets rather confusing for most people unused to the place and Soya gives none the time to orientate but just heads into the next darkness quickly.

After some time Soya finally bows into a bigger street again stating that they're soon there. From here at least the moon and the water of the near sea is visible and you can easily guess that you're in the very heart of what is called Vagabond's hideout!
The houses are standing nearly wall against wall and are built wildly along the street. Most of them have two or three floors and looking as scabby as the houses in the dark alleys with angled walls and dark, small windows.
After some metres on the moon-lit street suddenly a whistle is coming from the other side of the street.
After some moments Koldar can make out a motion in the crack of two houses, not half a ped wide. Between them a hooded man peeks his head out of the shadows. Nevertheless Koldar can only make out a strong chin and the lips, the rest of the face remains in the shadows of his hood. The man withdraws the cloak from his chest showing an iron amulet and a hidden dagger in his hand. He gives Soya signs into the opposite direction the party is going.

Moments later Soya nods and turns around. "Well, there seem to be some Dockers at work down the street and they don't want to be disturbed. We should make a detour." Thinking that her point is clear she gives the other thief an agreeing sign and heads into the opposite direction.
The thief gives her a last wave with the hand looks down both ends of the streets and wrapping the cloak firmly around him he hides again in the inconspicuous crack between the houses.
A closer look at his red glancing dagger would have explained their point about not wanting to be disturbed...

//OOC: I just think this is a good point for a short break that I don't post all alone here!:)   :OOC//  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 3/10/02 11:34:45 pm
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 04:11:22 AM »

Soya knows her way around.  I follow her as she goes throught the maze of streets and back alleyways through the night as if she were a cat.  Suddenly we stop.  I barely see a hooded man signal something to her.

She says that some in her guild are doing some work in the direction we are going and after giving a signal back to the man she heads off in the other direction.  I thought about asking which way was the quickest, but her quickness at decision making was a marvel.

I keep my mouth shut and eyes open to keep her slight form in my sight so I do not loose her in the darkness.  I was glad that Koldar had taken up the rear, for I feared that maybe Talia or Terra may loose us in the darkness.  Though after I thought about it for awhile, I decided that I was wrong.  These women have turned out to be not only good friends but great warriors as well.  They were an asset to the group.  But I should have known that.  Seyella only sends those my way that can help me on my quests.  I just have not figured out Avour's or Almenda's part yet.

I continued following Soya thinking ahead of any contingencies and plans that we may face tonight.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2002, 04:27:22 AM »

Soya takes the lead and all four fighters of the group are following her, Koldar taking the last place in the row. It is dark and the moonshine only deepens the shadows. The small lanes are full of garbage and more than one time they have to climb over something unknown lying on the ground, but the darkness hides much of the  dirt , hides the signs of poverty and neglection and so the houses and alley have the strange beauty of decay. Especially when the are bowing into a bigger street and the moon and the near sea are suddenly visible the place has an haunting, but impressing presence.

Though she likes this town somehow, even these dirty , small, poor alleys they are passing ,Talia, used to the wide, empty desert doesn’t feel very comfortable, she watches thoroughly their way, but they would soon be lost in the narrow streets and small passways if Soya wanted to betray them. This woman permanently occupies her mind.

I would really like to know what kind of relation Koldar has to this woman,we are so dependent on her. Was there anything between them we don’t  know but should know?  Did they part last time in harmony or could it be that Soya hides something ? It seemed that they had a good conversation when they returned to the Seashoals Inn, but somehow I have the vague  feeling that not all was very well between them. I hope that Caphers promise to give her diamonds afterwards will protect us, and Soya has seen that nobody can get these stones without Caphers agreement, otherwise he would be dead by now.
Or do I mistrust her only because I’m jealous? Jealous?? Why should I be jealous! No idea why I just thought this. I do know these people only two days now. Well, I hope we have this Heart soon and will be on board, then Koldar has to tell some of his stories. I’m really a silly goose, why are my thoughts permanently turning around Koldar? I’m really too old for such things. I will ask Capher for some stories, maybe he tells me even what his true form is!

Very shortly after they bowed in the bigger street they hear a whistle and Soya stops. After an exchange of some signs with a well hidden man on the other side of the street they turn and go into the opposite direction. Talia strongly hopes that they all can trust Soya and that she wouldn’t present Koldar an old bill!

Avour
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2002, 09:54:22 AM »

"Excuse me miss Avour, but I don't think you want to drink that stuff. It might be a bit strong for you. You do have to be sober for tonight. Maybe on the ship you can have a drink, but please, not right now." Avour turns around and doesn't see any one at height level. Looking at the bar she puts the mug down and sees the little one who had been with the others. She sighs and bends down and hugs him.

"Little-Kin no leave Avour!" She says with her bum in the air arms wrapped around Almenda. "No leave Avour!" She says almost in tears of happyness. Droping to her knees she looks at Almenda almost at eye level. "What we do now?" Avour asked innocently.

“You’d be lost if I wasn’t here to annoy you”
             – Little Sister speaking to Big Sister.......
Character Description

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2002, 09:56:22 AM »

Koldar watches the man disappear in the darkness till nothing was revealing his position anymore. He still wonders if either of his followers knows how dangerous the Stratanian thief guilds can turn out as he doubt they really cared about his warnings. To some degree he was proud of their self confidence, but he was only proud of them from his point of view as a soldier and a knight. They were all good warriors but what warriors often oversaw when dealing with weak, bowlegged thieves was that those guys never wait for someone to draw a sword against them. Either they ended a fight before it began or were gone before the chances were turning against them...

'This will still turn out funny. As long as we surprise them we have a good advantage but when they know what hit them we should be gone or all these small gaps between houses and shadows will turn out deadly for us...'

While Koldar was deep in thoughts they had taken various sidestreets to get into the same direction as before and now changed direction again into a completely unexciting, deserted alley to the south.
Soya was now walking slower to talk with Capher. "As we're now rather deep within the realm of the Dockers - you might've noticed - I think we can speak more freely. Other than the Dockers the Malitiae family are rather weak in manpower and depends on paid swords to do the dirty work for them. This helps them to stay out of trouble with other guilds as the only business they follow are "luxury goods" and other valuable stuff. They've pretty good contacts to the officials and the other guilds in the city so annoying them means usually causing much hassle despite their weakness. As I already said. When you get into major trouble with them the Dockers never helped you! Clear?"

Not waiting for a quick answer she stopped and pulled a wooden door open that looked like all the others in this street, with one exception however: A smell of urine, rotten flesh and other unbelievable fetidness that could turn your stomach upside down came out of the opening.
Soya's eyes sparkled in childish amusement as she watched the party's reaction ...and especially focussed Talia. 'I hope your perfume-regaled nose can stand the smell of the street.. or do I not?' She grinned broad, bowed deeply and invited the others to enter the passage.
"Well, High Gentlemen, High Ladies, I hope the smell doesn't insult your noble noses too much," she again grinned at Talia, "however we cannot afford watchdogs and had to find other means to make our place unattractive to others. So if you please enter? At the end of the passage is a small courtyard and I guarantee you that the smell is placed carefully so you can breathe freely there again."
Her pose and smile makes it obvious that she enjoys every moment of this situation.

Koldar tried to get rid of the taste of vomit he tasted on his tongue. He knew that most important places were prepared like this to discourage any random bypassers but he never found out what freaky mixture those thieves combine to get together a that terrible stinking aroma! 'One of them has to breed magical altered skunks or something!'
After taking some breathes of considerable fresh air - the area before the opening was already filling with this outtstanding aroma as well - he goes by the others, smiles at Soya with an ironical happy face and enters the dark passage.
It is only about a dozen peds long and the ground is slippery. Anyhow, despite the danger to fall Koldar tries to avoid touching the wall as well as the old bricks have an unhealthy shimmer on them as well.

After half a dozen peds three stairsteps lead into a small but clean courtyard. All too clean courtyard as it was stripped from any kind of debris or garbage that they've encountered in every other place here around. No cover! The ground-floor has no windows and only few wooden doors and from the high walls dozens of black holes are staring down at Koldar and the others.
For one moment he feared that this was a trap Soya had set up for him and the others but then he recognized the lean figure of a man standing beside a wall and slightly relaxes.
A broad hat was pulled deep over his face and his arms were crossed over a dirty brown-green shirt. His fingers were thin and bony as does his slender appearance. His wide cloak is patched up so many times that you can't tell its original color and it has some more holes and fringes already. His trousers are patched up, too, though you can tell they were black once despite the dirt on them and his long legs stood in two knee-high old top boots. Relaxed a long pipe is glowing in  the palm of one of his hands.

Until now the others entered the courtyard as well and Soya - with a selfconfident smile on her face - headed straight to the old man.

With her hands resting on her hips she stands before him. "Hail, Grindle the Grey. What are you doing here?" The old man seemed to muster the group of strange people carefully while sucking in the smoke of the pipe.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2002, 07:26:22 PM »

Soya leads them now through several other small alleys, not being as watchful as before. Obviously  they are now deep in the realm of her thieves band, the Dockers. Finally they seem to be at their destination - what only means that they stop at an evil smelling entrance.

The smell was bad enough as long as the door was shut, but when Soya pulls it open it is merely bearable. Talia doesn?t want to think about what might add to this infamous fetid smell. Luckily the night is dark enough that nobody can see that her tanned skin is several shades paler now and she has hard to fight not to vomit at once.

But then she sees the amused watching eyes of Soya who seems especially interested in her reaction and she fights with all her energy to stay calm with no expression of disgust on her face.
Soya explains that this smell is used to discourage other people to enter here, and Talia admits that this might be really effective, but doubts  it as well.
Soya addresses with a broad smile on her face their noble noses and bows to invite them in.

Talia feels something rotating in her stomach when she looks in this lovely but ironically grinning face, all the cautious,  first  friendly feelings towards her she had when talking to  her in the room  in the Seashoals Inn are forgotten in this moment and she has a sharp response in mind,  but Terra close to her she just answers with an equally ironical voice.

"Thanks for the honour, Soya, but I?m not noble, though I have to admit that my nose is not used to such smells here as yours seems to be.
Btw, I don?t think that it is really effective to hold those outside who want to come in here. And an occasional visitor wouldn't have a reason to choose exactly this door out of a number of similar doors in the lane. So if someone is experienced he could even infer from this stench that there is something which should be kept secret."

Hoping that she made this point Talia carefully  goes through the dark and slippery passage thankful for the good grip of her boots. A few stairs steps finally lead in a very clean courtyard. A hooded figure is waiting there and Soya who knows  the man goes straight to him and asks him what he is doing here!

That is really starting to get interesting! Already somebody is here Soya didn?t expect and a nice place for a trap.  Koldar, I only hope that you didn?t anger her in the past and Caphers rubies shone bright enough in her hands.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 3/11/02 10:37:24 am
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2002, 01:55:22 AM »

Terra follows Talia into the passage, traveling though it at a measured pace. The smell in the passage was worse than any she had encountered. She is well familiar with the smell of death, in fact she was sure some of the mysterious shapes they had to step over were dead bodies, but this smell here was more fowl then even death.

When she reaches the open courtyard, she realizes that despite her attempts of control she had held her breath. She takes a long controlled breath of the clean air in the courtyard to satisfy her lungs. Then noticed a man in patched and dirty clothing, she watches him closely, and moves to a place where her back is no longer to the passage. Soya came through the passage last and addressed the man by name, this only made her illease worse, this may have been there contact, but by the way Soya addressed him, she doubted this. What was worse is that this man may be connected to who has the object they sought, and may raise an alarm as to the strangers in there domain. Terras cool gaze remaining vigilante as they talk.

'Life is a grim reality, through which only honor shines.'

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2002, 03:20:22 AM »

Soya stops at a door.   It smells like an orcish outhouse, I think to myself,  Then she opens it.  The wave of stench blasts through to my nostrils.  Soya smiles and even seems to delight in the fact of the stench and watches Talia carefully, as if trying to bait her, I see Talia's character come through as she straightens up and walks into the place following Koldar.  Terra goes next and then I with Soya following.  

We step on things and it takes some doing to keep my balance.  Finally we enter a courtyard, I see the others straighten up. eyes darting around, looking for a trap.  I too use my senses searching for others besides the man whom Soya knew and walked up too and began a conversation.

I then do something I hope the others wouldn't reveal or be startled.  I mind talked to all of them except Soya.

Do not be afraid or show any sign that you are.  I am taking to you in a very special way.  Just listen, I doubt if any of you have the power to talk back to me using this method. I am not to sure about Soya, or this place.  Keep your senses and weapons at the ready.  This place and Soya smell like a trap.  Even if Soya does not know it.  It still smells like a trap.  Notwithstanding what we just went through.  So just be aware and very careful.

I walk slowly up to Soya and stand a little behind her as she talks to the man.  I wait unitl their conversation is ended.  "Where to now? Soya?" I ask her.  

Almenda
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2002, 06:51:22 AM »

Almenda is slightly startled by a hug from Avour, and says "Of course I didn't leave you my dear. Nether did the others, not permently anyway. For right now, we have to get the animals to the ship. Follow me." He then leads Avour to the stable, and starts getting the animals ready, relived that Swing didn't run off. He then says "Come on. We got to go to the harbor, and get the animals on the ship. You take Shavoosh and your horse, and I'll take Coore and Collossus. Swing will follow." And then thinks <I hope.> Grabing the reins, He ask if Avour is ready.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]