Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter VI: Dangerous Paths  (Read 16831 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« on: July 02, 2003, 06:51:22 AM »

In the end Koldar cannnot tell how they made it to Chylikis in one part but somehow they managed to balance the open hatred of the crew with fear of what might be done to them if the stories were true. Capher's demonic self did not appear again and Capher himself was not found within the bulk of the ship and without their leader the group was uncertain of how to proceed. Koldar has thought about it as well but besides Capher's next target Milkengrad the only other option lie in finding Capher's master and seek advise from him. The only glaring problem with this is that both are hundreds of Stral farther North and thanks to this unpleasant sea journey they have not come as far as they wanted.

They bet a good farewell to the other passenger of the ship and a not so good one with the crew of the ship and head towards the city gates that lie some way up the coast from the harbour.

Koldar was in a dark mood, the same mood that - maybe with the exception of Terra - has infected the whole group. They all know that Capher's mission is important, they know their foes are dangerous and that Capher thought that it was worth nearly any risk. But without Capher's wisdom there is only a great unknown. "When heroes fall, lesser have to take their part and even greater will be the deeds they accomplish." Koldar mutters silently to himself though this old saying sounds far less convincing when encountered in reality.
Koldar leads Soór'avásh up a slight hill - the mounts still exhausted from the stressful trip. The city gates were just another bow shot away when suddenly a dark rider - clad in black robes and leather- stops abruptly beside him. The black clothing being a stark contrast to the white horse he was sitting on. The figure is very slender, even as it is clad in armor and cloth and two rather intrigueing eyes sparkled from below the helmet. One cannot tell much more as like anything else about this person the face is hidden behind a black veil.

Koldar looks slightly curious at the stranger as he kept speed with Koldar but then tries to ignore him. He is not in the mood for some chatter with some stranger and he esspecially dislikes how this one musters esspecially him with outright interest. As some moments pass a low, female adresses him.

"Are you Koldar Mondrakken?"

His blood freezes. There is absolutely no reason for some stranger to address Koldar by name. He looks straight forward not thinking wether this might be a good or a bad thing but only how bad.

Koldar hears the woman unsheath an elegant elven longsword.With the flat side of the sword she stops him now more insisting.

"I said are you Koldar Mondrakken?"

Koldar tries to look as confused as possible and hopes his friends won't  accidently reveal him. "I'm not sure what you mean, my... Lady?" he asks as innocent as possible but the woman on the horse just gives a slight nod in understanding. Saluting him with her sword. "We will meet again!" Is everything she says before pressing on on her horse to reach the city gates a good time before them.
Koldar stops now really confused and looks at the other but as he does not see any more understanding of the situation as he is he gives just a shrug indicating that he's clueless as well. "Don't ask me? I've no idea, okay?"

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Hajarian Ryelliin
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 03:02:22 PM »

Hajarian sat in silence on his night-shaded horse, matching his own dark black robes. The saddle on the horse was a rather strange one, compared to the standard riding saddle. More like a horse-born throne, also black, yet embroided with golden wire at the edges and in the center on the black, making out various elvish-looking shapes and designs. The edge of the top of the saddle was imbedded with a contrasting white fur. The horse carried no packages accept for one singular item, the elaborately decorated rod that the magi kept with him.

The magus was leaning back against his seat with dull interest as the group rode up a small hill towards the city of Chylikis. When the black rider came up and requested Koldar, he only turned his cold gaze to watch and perked his long elven ears to listen, but other than those two actions cared not much for the topic. Sure that the rider's intent would be revealed in due time as she picked up speed and left them to their business.

The only thing the mage was really curious about was to what the nature of the group's quest was. He had yet to be told why they were on that ship and where they had come from, let alone what sort of journey they were, besides Capher's somewhat riddled answer earlier when Hajarian had first presented his 'allegiance' to the party. He had refrained from asking during the voyage on the trip, knowing that with dwarven ears at every floorboard that they could be overheard.

The magus stops his horse alongside Koldar's beast as the knight came to a halt and addressed that he had no idea about the mysterious black rider who had appeared.

Still looking ahead, Hajarian said in response to Koldar's words, "Then let us not worry about it, Sir Knight, and press on. If it means anything, simple or dire, we can no better determine such information than one blade of grass from another. All will be revealed in due time." As he finished, he tilted his head slightly to the side and peered at Koldar from the corner of his eye.

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 07:39:22 PM »

Talia is  happy to sit again on her aj Swing, feel the warmth of the little dune mouse under her tunic, her sword on the back and if they only had Capher with them, the world would be perfect again, despite the threats arising Capher mentioned. They hadn‘t talked  clearly about  how to go on now and what to do now, which path to take. But the general agreement seems to be that the heart has to be brought somewhere - and that the only person who could help them would be Capher's master, somewhere far up in the north.

Talia looks at her company. Their group is small now. From the original members only Koldar, Terra, Avour and herself  is left. They have become friends now, the knight whose stories and mystery Talia still doesn‘t know, Terra, the warrioress with even more secrets. And  Avour, the little half elf, who Talia now loves so dearly she can‘t imagine to part from her someday.

And there is this new group member, with deep black clothes and a even blacker horse, sitting on an exquisite saddle Talia has never seen one alike before. A magus. Talia is not sure, why he accompanies them, not knowing what their goal is, or does he know? Well, maybe he is just with them because no other choice was given after the departure from the ship. But it might come in handy to have him with them though. Talia is just curious to get to know him better - if that is possible.

The day is clear, the sight of the Thaehelvil river  Chylikis is overlooking is marvellous. In the far north a forest is nearly visible. Though the mood in the group is down for obvious reasons, life seems more promising today.

Until a dark dressed slender rider approaches them short before they reach the doors of Chylikis. Approaches Koldar, who seems to avoid him first and after forced to react by a long slender sword doesn‘t confirm , that he is Koldar, though SHE addresses him rightfully.

Talia is puzzled why Koldar would like to hide his identity. Is she herself too trusting and naive, not thinking about giving her name away, or what has Koldar to hide? He seems as puzzled as they all though.

Hajarian sits there on his mount watching as well and proposed to go just on.

The nearly good mood Talia was in has vanished, for a short time at least.

„Well, let us look for a place to sleep and eat decently and to decide then, how we are going on. Has anyone been already in this region or town and can give some advice?“

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 7/7/03 11:40
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 03:02:22 PM »

Terra rode following Koldar as the group made there way to the city ahead. Her thoughts consisted of what lay ahead for them, and espeacially of what had happend to Capher, still maintaining the belief that she could have helped him.

If only she acted sooner, perhaps she could have used what was in side her, a deep understanding of the consuming darkness in her mind, to help him fight it within his own. But the time for that had passed. He is now beyond help of all but himself. He is where she had started, and existing in a way she would not wish on another.

Her thoughs were broken by the voice of a warrioress, dressed in black robes and leather armor, addressing him questioningly by name in a manner. This lead Terra to believe she was trying to confirm his identity with a descrition she was given. The warrioress draws a longsword of elven make, when Koldar does not give her the an answer quickly enough and uses the flat of the blade to halt him, and repeats her question more insistantly. Koldar then replies in a manner that does not confirm nor deny his identity directly. The warrioress obviously not being totaly convinced, but yet unwilling to waste any more time, rides off after stating that she will see him again. Koldar turns to the group and states that he does not know what it was all about, a genuine look of confusion on his face.

"Well, either way, until we know more, it is not of any concern.", Terra adds her agreement to the group.

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Terra Artemos Character Description

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 08:55:22 PM »

Koldar senses that the others in the group are curious about this strange encounter but he feels that they have enough on their mind, for he at least knew a certain kind of knight that would dress in black for a certain mission, but this was something that lays in the past. At least he hopes so.

When they enter the town the guards give them only a halfhearted look. There is not much trouble to look out in this part of the country where the core of the kingdom is lies just to the north and several elven tribes inhabit the nearby forests.
The group follows the main road, paved with kobblestone not the usual hardened dirt you'll see elsewhere and soon enough see the inviting sign of one of the city's Inns. The sign says "Boar and Goat" and shows the two animals facing each other surrounded by vine leaves. The windows are made of yellowish glass, another sign of the wealth of this city and this Inn in particular.
You can enter the Inn from the main road but just a dozen peds further a gate with metal bars and a ston arch seems to lead to the stables of the Inn. Everything makes a tidy and clean impression unlike anything you'd encounter on your usual travels.

Koldar leads Soór'avásh through the gate and a boy -maybe about fifteen - stops sweeping the courtyard yelling towards the building. "Master Tim. We have guests!"

A deep, friendly voice answers "Alright, alright. I'm coming!"
After a few moments a man with grey hair and a friendly face comes out still cleaning a glass with a piece of cloth.

"Well met!" he greets the group. "You are lucky. I've enough rooms today, I just have to clean up th mess this dwarven mining company left last night, but now they're on their way again and there's just enough room for ya." he offers his free hand to Koldar who after a moment takes it slightly overwhelmed by all this kindness.

"Err thanks. I guess I speak for us all when I say we're quite a bit hungry and would have nothing against some late breakfast if possible."

The man smiles broadly. "Alright, alright, just follow me. Marc, care for their horses ... er mounts." he corrects himself as he sees Talia's strange animal.

Koldar hands the boy whose name is obviously Marc the birdles and follows Master Tim into a well lit guest room.

"Wait a minute and I'll bring you something. just get comfortable." He points at a large table in one corner.

Koldar sits down and also he still has lots on his mind about this mission they were meant to accomplish and the fiorst disaster of it with Capher disappearing he feels slightly comfortable.
We're nearing the heart of the kingdom, of course you'll sense the dangers of what Capher sought to stop here later than anywhere else.

He sits down and waits for the others.

Hajarian Ryelliin
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 10:55:22 PM »

The group enters the town with little more exchange of words after the strange encounter, and little interest is shown in their entry to Chylikis, except for a few awed stares at the exquisite and rare mount that Hajarian's horse bore, but little than that they had no problems in making their way to an Inn.

They are greeted at the gate by a rather expressive man, who's only slight deviation from his glee being a correction in his statement as he notices the Aj'Nuvic that Talia rode. Indeed, it was rare to sees Aj's outside of the Rahaz Dath and Narfost Plains.

Hajarian handed the reins of his horse to the young boy who was to tend the animals, and followed Koldar into the inn. The magus takes a seat on the opposite side, and clasps his hands together and rests them on the table's surface, silent throughout the endeavor.

- - - - - -
Hajarian Ryelliin
Ice Elven Magus -10th Circle

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 09:46:22 PM »

Talia is pleased as they are riding into the town. It is not a big town, and nevertheless the road is paved! And it looks clean, no debris on the road itself.

Koldar leads them to an inn called „Boar and Goat“ where they are greeted by a friendly man called Master Tim,  obviously the innkeeper. Talia is not sure if Koldar knows the town and the inn already, he is surprised at the friendliness of the man.

A boy , Marc,  is told to look after their animals and Talia assures him , that an aj is friendly, though sometimes a bit strange in its behaviour.

„Don‘t worry“ she tells him smiling „my aj is quite friendly. Just give her to feed what you  give to the horses as well. She has a different diet, but it will do. And no need to curry her, I will do it myself later. Just tell her where to go, maybe you point in the direction you want her to go, and she will follow you. Her name is Swing, btw.“

Talia whispers for a short while into Swings ears, pointing at Marc and follows then the others into the guest rooms.

Koldar is about to order a late breakfast as she enters, and that is just great. She hopes dearly, that they will stay here for this day. A hot bath, a comfortable place to sleep, a good evening meal and maybe even a story from Koldar? Finally! Perhaps he does remember something which could explain the dark rider they met before the gates of the town. Maybe they could even stay a day longer and do some washing? And some shopping? That has to be done already this afternoon, Talia needs urgently some new clothes, hers are all stoned from their unpleasant stay on the ship.

Talia sit down on the table as well. Hajarian is sitting so quietly, talking nothing, just observing. And somehow HE doesn‘t look like he needs a bath as the rest of the party does. Maybe she should ask him for a secret „Keep clothes clean“ spell?

Talia waves to Avour to sit next to her on the bench. And relaxed she smiles at the others.

„How simple things like sitting with friends at a table and waiting for a good meal can be the most enjoyable thing when you have missed it for so long.“

And as Master Tim arrives with the drinks just in this moments, she takes a mug and toasts to all:

„Let‘s drink and celebrate the fact, that we made it till here, despite our drawbacks - let forget our goal for this one afternoon!“

***Astropic of the day***

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 02:39:22 PM »

As the group rode through the town of Chylikis they gathered few looks, but Terra was sure she got her far share. Now wearing her old and well worn traveling garb again, her shapely curves could plainly be seen, and without her cloak, long since lost her Moonblade also drew attention.

They took the main road and found an Inn, the Boar and Goat, then leaving their mounts with the stable boy, only about 15 years of age. Terra gives the boy a cool look as he begins to take Coor, and calls a warning before following the others into the Inn, "Do not try to ride him. He lets none but me ride, and his reaction to such an attempt will lead to dire conciquences.".

When Terra arrives the most of the others were seated, waiting for a much needed well cooked meal and dring. She makes a point to sit on the opposite side of the table from the mage, so she can keep an eye on him. He may have been an ally aboard ship, where it was in his best intrests to have others watch his back, but now Terra could not be sure if he would remain an ally, as she was not sure how much Capher had told him, or the mages true goals and intentions.

Talia make a statement about sitting at a table with friends waiting for a good meal, Terra payed little attention to it. Then the Inn keeper arrived with the drinks, and passed them around. Talia take her mug and decides to toast, to which Terra adds, "But let us instead remember that till our goal is achieved there is still need for caution. Not all we have set in motion will stay behind us."

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Terra Artemos Character Description

Avour
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 10:42:22 PM »

The stint on the ship, the tight spaces had all but taken the life out of Avour. By the time it was time to leave she was all to happy to see the ship docking. Her movements were sloth-like, and effortless. Her smile was gone. Her energy was low. Following Koldar and Talia was all that she knew to do for the moment, so thats what she did.

Becoming flustered by the some what expressive inn-keeper Avour raised her head and her ears twitching her ears back and forth. Her brows pressed together when she heard the man talk of dwarves. Reluctantly she dismounted from the horse and followed Talia in to the table.

Sitting beside Talia, Avour folded on leg underherself as she sat down and put the other up on the base of the chair and hugged her leg resting her chin on her knee. Her eyes were half open and bags under them. Avour was exhausted. Since Capher had left in such a strange way, especially for Avour, she'd not been the same.

Avour turned her head away from the group as her eyes began to tear up. Her breathing became rather heavy as she tried to unsucessfully hide her crying. Her big dark eyes glittered with tears that began to fall down her face. A mix of emotions rushed through her, none of which were easy for her to understand or deal with. Avour wiped her eyes, and brushed her hand through her hair pushing it back out of her face.

Youd be lost if I wasnt here to annoy you - Little Sister speaking to Big Sister... (My sister talking to me)

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 04:36:22 AM »

Koldar lightens up over Talia's words even when he cannot entirely agree with it. There were many matters to discuss and esspecially the question of wether they should introduce Hajarian to their mission or not. The fire mage has proven a strong ally back in the ship but still a dark alignment surrounded him that concluded not to trust him without caution.

Looking at the round he was filled various emotions concerning the mission, concerning what he has learnt about anyone so far, about what he thought they should do. They all seemed exhausted, well, some more obvious than others. Koldar doubts he'll ever see Terra exhausted but they all have suffered a severe blow to their morale on this short journey over the ocean.
Avour shows her emotions openly and cries silently despite her efforts to hide it. Koldar feels pity for her, while most others of the group obviously had their fair share of ups and downs to cope with in life this was Avour's first confrontation what sholar's would call so euphemistic: civilization.

Koldar lays his hand assuringly on Avour's forearm looking into the round. He has not returned the toast of Talia and Terra and his eyes are earnest even as they look tired.

"Still we cannot forget about our goal right now. Capher was our leader. With him gone we need to consider what to do next. Pursue the task ahead of us or go our ways, I'm not sure. Without the light of Capher's wisdom it might prove far harder to find the right paths and we don't know what exactly is luring in the darkness."

Koldar stands up now uttering his own toast. Raising his glass he says. "Maybe this was Capher's plan all along. I don't think he needed us to get what he wants but maybe he needed us for the moment he might not be able to complete his task anymore. Whatever we do we should remember the warnings Capher offered to us before he hired us for the mission and I think everyone understood that it is an important mission indeed."
Koldar does not dare to say more though he knows that when he did not make Hajarian curious before he'll certainly  be now.
"But I don't want to darken this moment with any more words. We are here, we're here well and alive so let's rest until we know what to do next!"

He raises his glass to the others and then takes as sip. Just as he finished his speech Master Tim brought a large tablet with a diversive arrangement of fresh bread, cheese, fruit and meat into the room and puts them onto the table.
After he emptied the tablet and the group sits in front of a vast breakfast he adds.

"When you need anything else just  call me, I still have to clean up the kitchen."

Tim disappears through the door behind the bar. They're alone but shortly after Marco, the boy from before enters the room chewing an apple. He gives the group some funny looks before entering the kitchen again. They're alone again.

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 07:48:22 AM »

While waiting for Master Tim to serve the breakfast, Avour suddenly starts crying. She seems to be more exhausted than Talia has noticed. Talia lays a comforting hand on her back.

Koldar can‘t stop thinking about their goal, but obviously he doesn‘t want to say too much as long as Hajarian is here and they haven‘t decided yet, if, or how much they should tell him. As he is bringing out a toast himself, master tim arrives with the breakfast.

Talia grips Avour firmly at the shoulders and turns her around, picks some fruit from the tray putting them in front of Avour as well as a mug of fresh water.

„Avour dear, eat something and you will feel a little better soon. Drink something. We will have a bath later and some sleep. I promise you, the world will look brighter then.“ Talia tells her, still with her arm around her.

„Koldar, you are right of course, but I don‘t think we are in a condition now to take a decision which will be surely of great important to us. Let us eat first, have a bath and some rest and meet this evening again. Then we can decide what to do.“

And turning to the mage, she asks him: „And what are you planning, Hajarian?“

Hajarian Ryelliin
New Santharian

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 08:16:22 PM »

Hajarian watches the proceedings with a dull, uninterested gaze. Noting the sudden crying of the uncivilized one, but paying it no heed. He wasn't the one for giving warm encouragements. Sighing in exhaustion, the magus closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against his clasped hands, yet keeping his senses focussed on those around him. He knew the others were concerned about his allegiancy, and with rightful caution, he wasn't exactly the most trustworthy individual. As long as it served his whims, or at least did nothing to hinder them. Which, right now, working with this group was of the latter.

As Koldar finished his speech, a speech obviously shortened because of the fire mage's presence, he too rose his glass along with the others in a toast, before taking a short sip and opening his eyes once more. Soon enough, the tender of the tavern approached with their meal.

In a few moments, he became surprised as he was himself addressed. "And what are you planning, Hajarian?" said the Shendar woman, Talia. He turned his gaze to her.

"No plans, my dear woman. I was simply on my return from a trip I had to those lower regions of Sarvonia. I'm taking an interest to this little journey you and your group seem to have embarked on," he turns a gaze towards the rest of the party. "As I spoke to Capher before his most unfortunate incident, my services are available if one has need of them." Making a small grin for a finish, the mage took another sip of his drink.

- - - - - -
Hajarian Ryelliin

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 07:58:22 PM »

So his services are available? Koldar looks at the mage. Just because his assisstance came in handy on the ship does not mean he would trust any more than before, in fact his capabilities only proved that he could turn out very dangerous should he deceive them. But Koldar puts these suspicions aside. He thinks too negative, they need any assisstance the still they can get.

"And what is the price for your services, Hajarian?" He asks openly.

Hajarian Ryelliin
New Santharian

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 07:48:22 PM »

Hajarian turned his gaze to Koldar. Price? Well, it wasn't like he needed anything from this quest, just more experience of adventure, which he had not had in some time. "Simple. Payment for my lodgings for duration of your quest, and any magical tomes we may happen to come across that may be of interest to me. Nothing is needed in advance."

The mage sat back in his chair, closing his eyes as he folded his arms across his chest. "And one more thing." He paused for a few moments, then opened his eyes and looked directly into Koldar's. "Information pertaining to the nature of your quest."

- - - - - -
Hajarian Ryelliin

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2003, 08:08:22 PM »

Talia sitting next to Koldar gives him , under the table, a kick with her foot to prevent him from answering and agreeing on the mages terms at once.

„Well, that sounds fine, Hajarian, but I think the group has to discuss this privately first, if you don‘t mind. You have helped on the ship to a great deal, but that was in your interest as well. You seem to be an experienced mage,“ no need to praise him too much , „but we don‘t know you, and therefore we don‘t know either, if revealing our goals to you is good for us. Your claim for any magic books we might find is questionable as well, we don‘t know yet, under what circumstances we might find them and to whom they might belong. Not that I ever would touch one! Paying for your lodging seems fair, on the other side, you may need our protection as well and you can travel under the guidance of two experienced warriors.“

Talia has finished her meal meanwhile, and so she gets up. Already standing, she proposes.

„ I would say, we meet here again for the evening meal. Meanwhile I will have had a bath, some rest and can care for Avour. We will have discussed it by then and can come to an agreement with you. Is this all right, Hajarian?Koldar, Terra?“

„I‘m back in a minute!“

Talia goes to the kitchen, asks for rooms for them all and for a bath. Returning to the table she speaks again and waits for an answer:

„Ok, do you agree to this proceedings?Then I will have a bath now“ and smiling to Avour: „Come on Avour, I‘ll help with it, you will feel a lot better afterwards.“

***Astropic of the day***

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 7/27/03 12:09
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]