Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Gorge  (Read 36500 times)
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 05:02:23 AM »

At the tender touch of her cheek, Terra lifts her trembling hand, and places it over Talia's for a few moments as she calms. Terra then looks up at Talia with her wet eye, and speaks softly though the cool tone is returning to her voice.

"Talia, I do not know how much of my pain is real anymore. Could I have only imagined something too terrible to remember?"

Terra Artemos aka Mortus Pryde
WebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.com

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 05:48:23 AM »

“Terra, my trust in the Brownies is very strong. You should undergo the procedure with me, whatever they will do. I have no idea, how life magic works. But I hope, it will heal what is hurt, make us whole again.  Maybe you will know then, what hunts you, maybe not, but I have no doubt, that it will benefit us both. “

She takes Terra‘s both hands in hers . After a moment of silence she presses them slightly.
“Come on, my travel sister, let us move to the cave. it is a nice place, especially if it should rain.“

She releases Terra‘s hands again and stands up. Looking around and seeing, that Aueniteri and Eden have accepted her proposal, she turns to Capher and Ta‘las.

“You two, will you join us? “ she asks with a little smile which shows that this was only a rhetorical question. “Capher, I see, you have already a fire burning, maybe it is possible to transport some of the embers up to the cave, so you don‘t have to restart again? Well, maybe it is easier we start a new fire, there are a lot of small burnable  twigs around, maybe we should take some bigger chunks of wood with us. “

Capher:

When Ta‘las whispers apologies to Capher concerning Terra, he puts his hand on the young man‘s arm and whispers back.

“Don‘t worry, your question was surely not the cause of this. Terra is a tortured woman who hides from her own past, but she has to face it soon, or she will perish. Let us prepare our mounts, if Talia has an idea in her head, she will insist on following it, though she will never admit it. “ he says to Ta‘las blinking at him.

When Talia rises from her position next to Terra, she immediately takes again the lead, trying to organise the group. Capher hides a smile - how will she be, if she has her old strength back? Then nothing will hinder her in fulfilling their task. He answers her with a slight bow and with the grace only an old man can display who is not really an old man, but a powerful person behind this „disguis“:

“My dear Lady, we will do as you say and gather some wood and then move up the hill to this comfortable dwelling!“

Talia furrows her brows at Capher teasing her, but then breaks out in a laughter.

“Well said Capher, I will lead you to a dreamless slumber, you ust ave to build your beds first! “

And that said, she gathers some wood from the nearby forest and fixes at on Swings sides, giving her aj a touch to follow her and turns towards the path.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »

Ta'las looks to Capher and nods.  "Thank you for your kind words, Capher.  Still, he watches Terra anxiously, hoping the brownies will be able to heal her.

The Shendar also gathers together some firewood, and attaches it to Desert Rose's sides.  He waves farewell to Z'doth.  "We will travel together again, friend.  Until then, may Seyella smile on you."

"Come Capher, I will take rear guard," he says and follows Capher and the others up the path into the cave opening.  

Ta'las

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 02:33:23 AM »

Terra raises slowly and heavily still not completely recovered when Talia turn to the others being sure they are ready to move on. It take her a few moments to gather herself, and a few more to gather her gear, then speaks in a low strained but somewhat even tone as she passes Talia on her way towards Coore.

"Thank you for lending me your strength."

Terra manages a slight smile and goes off to prepare Coore for moving on.

WebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.comWebStatus Images by GoTrillian.com

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 12:14:23 AM »

Talia only smiles to Terra and then they are on the path up to the cave which has looked so promisingly to her.

It is small, just a fore broad. The taller grasses soon give way to a mixture of smaller grasses and little shrubs with pink flowers adorning it. A bit farther, small sturdy little pine like trees about a ped or maybe two high are growing in patches. Their dark green colour sets spots amidst the green pink of the hill. A lot of flowers can be seen here as well, like Erissa‘s tears or a little  blue  bells which crouch on the ground. All seems to be familiar, but quite smaller than elsewhere in the lower rounds of Santharia.

Talia is not enjoying the landscape as much as when she was going up the path the first time this evening, for Injèrá is quickly setting. So after a good half an hour they reach the gap in the wall. First it looks like none of their riding beast would go into there, but with some padding and persuading words Swing dares to enter the crevice. Talia has to remove all the wood hanging on her side, but finally she is able to pass without hurting her head. Inside, Talia offers her as a reward some of the dried fruits the elves gave them for their long way. And Swing explores the spacy cave on her own.

Through the  wide opening at the opposite side from the small entrance the sun is shining and it is quite bright in the cave for a short time. After having dumped her wood in the middle of the cave (with the hope that Ken or any of the others may start a fire) Talia goes again to the wide opening, only to encounter, that there is no way out. Though the path is visible there again farther down, shortly after the overhanging rock retreats, the floor of the cave ends as well, declining for about three peds nearly vertically, covered and made invisible by the growth of various bushes they have seen on their way up as well. No second way out, hopefully no way in either.

After removing her sleeping utensils from Swings back and searching for a relatively flat piece of ground, she spreads out her belongings. Having done that, Talia goes back to the broad opening. something is there which attracts her, though she doesn‘t know, if it is only the beautiful sunset.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »

'Teri walks up beside Talia, saying nothing, simply looking out over the burning sky. Eventually, she finds something to lean against, and her gaze turns to her friend, studying Talia's face, although her mind seems elsewhere. The ogre, it was; a simple task, it seemed like now. They had all worked together nicely, and the opponent had fallen. Nothing like the horrific fight against the demon/fire mage.

Have they really been through so much together? It hasn't seemed like a lot - but there had been the strange, darkly clad elven woman riding with Talia, which had turned out to be nothing; Garrek's assassin, the demon... bandits and the ogre. She finds a smile forming lightly on her face, and she turns back to the sunset. At least she can count everything; and that must mean they hadn't been together for all that long.

"It's amazing, isn't it?", she asks softly, breaking the silence between them, meaning as much the sunset as their past.

-------------------
Silence! You could give your excuses until Injèrá hides her head from all Santharia, but it will never preserve your life.
I have so sworn...

Edited by: Aueniteri at: 7/13/06 0:37

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »

Talia has sat down to watch the sunset, when Teri joins her. After a comfortable while of enjoying nature‘s spectacle together silently, Teri comments: "It's amazing, isn't it?", but Talia recognises that in her voice resonates more than just a remark about the sunset. She looks up to Teri, her face showing the affection she has grown for this woman whom she doesn‘t know this long - counted in days.

„Yes, indeed.“

And then, they are silent together again, despite the noise of fire making and preparing their beds behind them, till Talia starts again, hesitating to speak though.

„I often wonder about the forces, out there. Why is a sunset so beautiful and at the same time the evil forces which seem to follow us so strong? Is there someone who protects us? Though I came to believe in Baveras and I know the rage of Foiros, whose work of his hands burns the desert lands, but the other gods are so distant for me. Sometimes I wished there were no gods and no evil forces either. But now I assume, that the gods all want our well being, and even that maybe wrong. You are a half-elf: Do the elves have a different view of the gods than we humans have?“

Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 08:13:23 PM »

A light smile crosses 'Teri's face, and she begins, "Think of this for a moment," amusement, nearly laughter evident in her voice. "Men often complain of women, saying that we think too much. It is the prime argument between even on the friendliest terms, elves and men saying that, on the one hand, elves spend far too much of their time considering what could be done, while on the other, it is claimed that men charge far too recklessly into their tasks. Now, for a moment, consider one who has at least a major portion of both; woman and elf."

She gives a light, happy yet wistful sigh, and then draws her mind to the question at hand. "Both yes, and no. It is not uncommon for elves to consider deities not as some overruling power, some grand, unfathomable force of nigh formless energy, as seems to be the prevailing mind among humans; and yet, in a way, what the elves tend to believe could be translated as exactly that. You see, life is life, whether in the grandest god, or goddess, to the smallest creature that walks the surface of the land. And a god, it would seem, is a being that has become so closely in tune with that force, their own life and their own self, that to remain on this plane would defeat the purpose they themselves have accomplished. To exercise the gifts they find in person would tend to cause others to be lazy, and thereby they would never accomplish the degree of... what would you call it? Perfection? That degree obtained by those who have become, more or less, deities. And so in essence, they have become something overruling; grand, unfathomable, and nigh formless."

She looks toward the sunset for a moment, and back to Talia. "And now, I presume I've succeded in fully confusing you. If it helps any, I think the sunset is simply the way of those for whom we ride, of giving us a brief show of gratitude."

-------------------
Silence! You could give your excuses until Injèrá hides her head from all Santharia, but it will never preserve your life.
I have so sworn...

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 06:53:23 PM »

Z'doth looks in terror at the shallow trail, and shakes his head. "No; I'm sorry, I had better not. The animals will be fine with me."

Capher stops, and turns to regard him curiously. "Are you certain? The view from the cave Talia has found is wonderful; besides, there's plenty of flat ground up there, and the trail is firm. Let me help you with the animals."

It took a bit of convincing, but finally the four animals that had been left with Z'doth are traveling up the trail, and the guide is keeping his eyes to the trail, not looking out over the cliff. Before him walks Capher, leading the two remaining animals in single file, one before him and one behind, as does Z'doth, although he feels very uncumfortable about it. Behind him walks Kenriil, speaking endlessly about rocks and anything else that might catch his fancy. However, the subject turns briefly, to insects, but no one pays him heed, until he begins, "Aaah, aah-aaaah, AAAHH! Ai! Aaaahh!", and dancing and leaping about in a most curious way, swatting himself again and again on the arms and chest and legs and seat and back and sides. Eventually, he loses his footing and slips, but does not fall, rolling against the mountain side and stopping to catch his breath.

However, Z'doth and Capher do not get away so easily. The back horse bolts at Ken's sudden panic, and leaps forward, instantly throwing Z'doth off his balance, which spooks the next horse, and they begin to charge forward.Capher's plight is much worse, however, as he picks up his pace to beat the other animals, dragging Z'doth with them, until one of them slips slightly, catching its balance, but joining the panic. The final animal is drawn down by Capher's weight, and pulls against it in fear. Making no progress, it bolts forward, and in a very short time, the quartet of horses, with the two men mixed somewhere between them reaches the cave, where they slow, and are stopped.

Z'doth, trembling uncontrollably, attempts to tie the animals down, and Capher assists him, smiling in a most curious manner. Finished, Z'doth simply lies down not wasting the time to ready his sleeping gear, while Capher sees to the fire. A short time after this, Ken follows them, talking about flowers.

----------------
...only guess that you're still listening. But let me tell you a little about myself...

Lady of the South
Story Mod

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 09:45:23 PM »

Talia waits with her answer to Teri‘s sight of the gods. ...they have become something overruling; grand, unfathomable, and nigh formless." Staring at the sunset, she ponders about what Teri has said, till she finally responds.

Gratitude, you say, yes. But, does that mean, they care for us, or is it just  the crumbs you toss to a dog?“

OOC: Teri, if you want to continue our conversation, I just edit my post.

Meanwhile the sun has vanished behind the horizon. It is still not dark out there, the sky where the Injèrá  was seen some moments before has the color of Karikrimson, melting in a fiery Strata yellow till the colours change to blue-greens  and finally blue blacks.

Getting back to a more daily conversation, Talia states:
„We need to scout out our path tomorrow morning. I do hope it will be a bit broader further down, but somehow I fear, that we haven‘t passed yet what is called „The Gate“, obviously  the entrance to the vale.“

Then she rises to join Capher at the fire.

„Thanks for doing the „housework“ for us Capher! I think you should marry, you would be a great husband! What do we need now? I‘m not a good cook, my meals are more often cold than warm. Anything I can do? “

Hearing about her proposal to marry Capher looks up with a twinkle in his eyes and doesn‘t respond to her teasing.

„You never know, what Seyella has in mind for you, Talia. Just bring some of those fruits the elves gave us, if you have any left, then I will add them to the dried meat I will cook us for our evening meal. Luckily there is a small rivulet outside, nobody thought of bringing water with us. Maybe Ken or Eden have some additional spices we can add.“

Talia hurries to her bags to get the requested things. Swing has settled down already near her beddings, no one could convince her to stay in the back of the cave with the horses. Talia gives her a quick hug and caresses her soft fur, before hurrying back to Capher to give him the last of these delicious fruits she can‘t name.

Then she notices Z‘doth, lying on the ground on his unrolled package - not moving. She wonders why he is acting so strangely. Is it the unused height, he comes from a hot plain, if she remembers right. But for a guide it is quite an unusual behaviour.

Hey Z‘doth, get up and ready your beddings before the meal is ready, afterwards you can just slip in.  
She shakes him and joggles him, till he sits up, but doesn‘t move any further. So Talia takes his stuff (is it not this much) and asks him, if a place next to the opening would be ok and after she gets a silent nod, she prepares his bed near the broad opening. So he can look out and see some stars, though they are not over him, but a solid rock. she has to enquire tomorrow, what has happened.

It takes some time, till the meal is cooked and all sit around the fire, eating a stew and nobody knows exactly , what is in it, apart from the meat and the fruits, but it is well liked.

After the meal, Talia brings up the issue she has mentioned to Teri already.

„Listen, we need to scout out our path tomorrow morning, for i fear, it might get even more steep and small than today. We haven‘t reached  yet what is called „The Gate“, I think,  the entrance to the vale. We don‘t know, what we have to expect there. The Brownies are so much smaller than we are and I don‘t want to go back with our animals all the way because we can‘t go on. There were passages today, where I didn‘t want to turn a horse around. Who will do it? Do we have any experienced mountain climbers under us?

[

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »

Ta'las looks up from where he is sitting and eating his stew.  He smiles and says, "I shall do this Talia."  His eyes glitter with excitement.  "When I was young I spent much of my time north of Uderza in the Nirmenith Mountains, learning to climb rock faces with the husband of my mother-sister."

"Can you or anyone else tell me what this 'gate' will look like?  I know nothing of brownies, or their lands."

Ta'las

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »

As the others prepare camp Terra still does not quite seem the cool woman that had started the journey as she sits alone quietly sharpening one of her blades. Terra even seems to show more emotion outwardly then she used to, her expression a mix of boredom, brooding and sorrow over something yet unknown to her. She does not even watch the others as she wishes mostly to be alone, but deep inwardly she wishes some one would talk to her, a confusing conflict beween wanting to pull away from them, and reach out to them to help her. In truth in all the confusion she no longer fears her forgotten past most, it is her feelings that bring fear to her heart. She has kept them locked away and restricted for so long just feeling is something that feels foriegn to her, an alien experiance as if something possessed her heart, and yet it is mearly a part of herself she had forsaken.

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 08:59:23 PM »

His breathing slowing down, Ken, still talking about flowers, walks up to Terra, and hops up on a stone beside her.

"...pretty petals; red and orange, and a fair amount of pink. Mother loved flowers like that. Do you like flowers? I like them sometimes; but I don't worry much about them. Just look at them and move on; I guess I do a lot of things like that. Talking, for instance. I say something, and then I'm talking about something else. And it takes hardly a minute before we're gone off on something completely irrevelant. I wonder if the brownies grow flowes; or if they use them for curtains or something. It would be strange to see, a little blue thing hanging over a window, like..."

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 01:11:23 AM »

Terra looks to Kenriil half annoyed at his disrupting her solitude and half appreciative of his attempts to bring her cheer. On her face she wears a strange expression showing the confused jumble of emotion that had become an alien sensation to her. Finally after a few moments her sharpening stone stilled, and she worked up the words to speak, though smooth her tone had become uneven in the confusion wracking her heart and mind.

"I have never given flowers any thought, I don't think they hold any significance for me. They just are. As for brownies, I know nothing of them past that they are small. I never met a real one so I do not know anything of them."

Terra looks down at the blade she had been sharpening before speaking again.

"This is what I know, fighting with a blade in my hand. I do not know of feeling past a measure of compation, and a sense of honor..."

Her voice trials off and tears come to her eyes, not tears of pain, but of fear.

"I am afraid like I have not been before, even fear of death pales for me."

Her voice falls silent, consumed by fear and confusion.

Eden Blunter
Clerical Cook
Approved Character

Dwarf

Homepage
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 05:21:23 AM »

Eden had followed the crowd along the path rather quietly, having to trot a little faster as her short legs took twice the strides as did the larger folk. She couldn't very well hear the conversations that happened up ahead, as she followed near the end of the procession, so instead kept her mind to the rock around her.

Her mind lost to thoughts of Urtengor, it was not long until Eden finally finds herself at the camp. There it seems people are already making themselves quite comfortable, and so she too begins to set up her modest bedroll and personal effects. It is then that the dwarf overhears a conversation about scaling the mountain.

Eden stood and listened closely to Talia's proposal, and then looked with slight dismay as the young human Talas accepted it. "I reckon I should come as well, young man" she began, tugging at her beard. "I've little faith in what a human might know about rocks and mountains... I've worked in the mines. Besides it all... I owe it both to the party and Urtengor to lend my hand in such an endeavor. Speak nothing more of it, I'm coming." she said with an air of authority and condescension. Eden believed quite solidly that her services as a cleric would prove helpful to the young-still man.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]