Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What the hell has happened here?!  (Read 8420 times)
Aylix Goth
New Santharian

Homepage
« on: July 19, 2003, 05:12:22 AM »

Ok... fairly big rant coming up...

what the hell has happened to this site? It has changed SO much I was first got here in 2001. It feels like the community has gone out of the place with snide digs at people here and there... arguements so that two valued members of this place almost left... an influx of newbies that have no where to go or dont stick around much... most of them being put off by the IMHO extremely harsh rules for CD creation, (Take a look at my Aylix Goth CD... that is what you used to be able to get by with... it allows character scope... there are only so many things that can happen in peoples CD's now... albeit with slight changes... but I doubt we've had a truely original character for a while... originally written maybe)
The OOC place is only posted in by about 15-20 out of the 1843 registered members we have. Where the hell is everyone!? Yea... i know we have lost some damn fine people due to real life (Capher, Mepui Lei, Butch von Buckler) but there are still a lot of people around who have come... maybe made a CD... then arent seen again, at least not in the OOC jovialities we used to have. I mean... some of the good times we used to have in OOC (I mean look at some of the stuff on the dev board :lol  the fabulous title thread one for instance... that was jus a huge laugh) but with people argueing... making snide comments... and just generally getting on other peoples nerves... the life has all but gone out of this community... where I used to enjoy coming to KNOWING that there is a jovial and relaxed nature about the place... but with some of the rules and strict up-tightness that is about the place atm... coming to Santharia is becoming less and less of a fun thing to do...

Now... maybe I'm writing this post cause I am completely wrecked and tired... and I'm spambling random things (ooh... new word... spambling) but I'm sure... a few of the members who have been here as long as and longer than me (Uri, Bahran, Wren etc) will agree with some of the points.

Thank you and goodnight.

Aylix Goth - Resurrected especially to annoy YOU.
--
Fools and Heroes - UK Based LARP.
Artimidor Federkiel
Admin

Homepage
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 07:58:22 AM »

Life is what you make of it, you know...
Santharia is what you make of it, you know...
The RPG Board is what you make of it, you know...

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 09:16:22 AM »

I think you're approaching this the wrong way, Aylix.

Maybe instead of complaining about it we should do something about it: I would say advertise. I’ve been trying to advertise, but it’s really hard if you aren’t an admin. Still, I’m doing what I can.

To avoid contradictions in the RPG, we need to stay true to the text on the site.

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 09:33:22 AM »

Hmmm, a few things I want to contribute as I was considering this in my free time lately as well. Anyone who feels addressed I just want to ensure here that this is not about some personal argument what is right or wrong but mainly a summary of things that I think worth mentioning(which of course includes my wise or unwise suggestiuons how to fix things even if they are not broken!;) ).

First of all I think that the rpg board grew to its current form (structure and rules) because of the huge influx of newbies coming from Sorren interested in playing some play by post rgp in Sorren. The board flourished, it was extended, things get big and everything. But this influx dried out and because ultimately the cooperation with Sorren was now offically cancelled we cannot expect that many new people arriving at Santharian shores anyway.

In a whole I think that means that imho we need to reassess the situation of the rgp board as rules that seemed necessary back then are now just hindering and mean an overkill of administration on a board that now needs far less actual  administration.
This doesn't mean we need to throw away the good things(like the Thirsty Herald) of course! ;)

Things that bother me as well and were mentioned by Aylix here are(the following relfect my own opinion about it not one last truth):

1) Charakter descriptions.
They're currently too overregulated. We have half a dozen Mods getting stressed in reading pagelong char descs of a few people. Why?
We should keep aware of the fact that the cd is important but not as important as the actual play. One major thing here might be that I think it's weird to demand a certain amount of text for a certain age or mage level.
More important for me would be a balanced set of skills/weakness, personality and appearance to get a clue how the char acts in-game.
History is a good background (and maybe still important for old-aged or powerful chars) but is something you can as well develop  further while playing.
I never know everything about my chars but the many ideas I have in my head only start to make sense when I have played them for quite some time.

This would hopefully reduce stress from the mods who have to backcheck a looong history and make it easier to enter the game.

2) World Dev <-> RGP
There's always the dilemma that on the one side this rgp is meant to play in the world of Caelereth that is developed at the world development board and the fact that the whole RGP is just for fun. I mean I can write dozens of entries about orcish hairstyle and fashion and it would interest... nobody! If someone wants his orc char have a Iroquios haircut he'll make that work even if I make all orcs bald!
The thing I want to suggest with this example that we world dev weirdos should loosen our grip on the rgp board quite a bit and try to think more in the terms in suggesting how to play the rpg closer to what we have imagined but not limit it to it. We should remember that we don't even know the name of the current Santharian king so how should we describe what is the right present day fashion of a peasant girl from Marcogg?

I think that applies char-wise but also story-wise. It just happened a short time ago. The question was asked wether if there are orcs in the area of Marcogg or not. Now when you ask me that in the development board I will certainly say: "No there are no orcs in the area of Marcogg!" So I did.
Now after realizing what this was all about and the fact that it ruined a story I stumbled over the old rpg story "Plains of Blood" which mentions orcs in the Rimmering Ring so right in the capital of Santharia! Of course world-dev wise that is total crap. When there are probably no orcs in Marcogg there are certainly no orcs in New-Santhala!
So I guess we should loosen up a bit on this one as well beause we have no direct control over the stories anyway. Still I guess we should try to emphasize stories that at least start in the right environment because that is supposed to be the fun about playing the game in Caelereth and not in some nameless rpg board. However such contradictions could be easily solved before the forum is up and everything or at least the problems discussed beforehead and not brought up some time later.

I think we world developers should sometims return to our little chambers and just write some more entries instead of gritting our teeth about another story that treat orcs badly! :)

3) I can't remember any 3)
I think the two main points made above interweave so many things that most things are already mentioned.

In a whole I don't think many changes are necessary but we (that is the char-mods and world-dev-people) should consider how far we are willing to stretch the line to make things easier and less formal for actual roleplaying.
The above is my confused statement about this, there might be others and the solution is probably in-between but I guess we should think about it.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 10:08:22 AM »

Yes I think this words of Koldar's should be heard.  We are taking the fun out of things if right from the begining of a characters start at the board we wish to know every talent and strength they have.  What happens if that character meets a ranger and learns how to wield a bow with small difficulty?  What happens if they meet a healer and learns basic herbal healing remedies?  This is called gaining experiance.

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 10:28:22 AM »

Gar, I need to talk to you ASAP.

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Mini-mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 01:47:22 PM »

Rayne has suggested, and I agree, that we should have a meeting of all the CCMs, and admins we can get in one place at on time. I hope for most of them.

I do agree that maybe we are being a little too strict, where we should encuraging instead. Forcing what should only be done of free will. But there is method to our madness, and we need to separate the two and just keep the method.

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Terra Artemos Character Description

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 01:58:22 PM »

::hugs Koldar:: Thank you! ::gives him a cerubell.::

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 03:20:22 PM »

Well what time do you think we should meet?  This weekend is kinda bad, Sunday evening would be better for myself.  Away this entire weeked and will only get on here and there. Also where should we meet?  Would having a temporary forum where only the char mods and admins be helpful for the time being?  I can create one and remove it when the time calls.  I could create such a place for temporary use.

Artimidor Federkiel
Admin

Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 04:39:22 PM »

There's also the possibility to create an Admin/Mod Forum with password protection for example so that only those can read it, who are entitled to do so.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 04:55:22 PM »

Yep that was what I was getting to, guess you just put it in simple term rather then my rather confusing terms.  :\  

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 05:03:22 PM »

I don't like the idea of having a forum that members can't see. It just doesn't seem fair. I would rather set a time and get together in a chatroom, and perhaps any member that wishes to attend can so that they can give their views and opinions.

I'm a democratic kind of girl. ^_~

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 05:35:22 PM »

I don't think the forum idea is too bad. Many boards have one and in this case it is mainly to make a discussion possible by people from different continents.
It's always hard to find a good time where none is in stress in that situation.

I also don't think a chatroom is more democratic, imo it's more rushed and for certain purposes it is better to have a mod-forum so I don't have to watch my words all the time but can swear around! ;)

Asking someone's opinion is also important but I wouldn't mix such things up with the actual discussion, it only diverts from what the main topic.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 05:51:22 PM »

I think the forum idea is also better then a chat.

First, like Koldar already stated, it is a rushed environment meaning that one might wish to say something important, but finds that in the middle of their typing something else is brought up and they choose to ignore their first idea and start over concerning the new topic.  This results in lost input that in my opinion is always valuable input.  With a forum, one can post addressing various topics at once, without the worry of the topic moving on.  This also lets multiple topics to be addressed at once without the need of picking out which topic you are currently wishing to speak about within a chat room where many other people are speaking as well.

Second, at another board I play at, the mods and admin listen to questions brought up by the players.  If they feel the need to discuss the topic among themselves for a period of time, they tell those within the thread that they are currently discussing the topic among themselves and will respond with their gathered opinion.  Then the players may address the decision once again, stating their new opinion on it, and if deemed reason to discuss the topic among themselves once again the mods and admin will do so again.  It is not "We have talked about this and the ruling will be that this will be done and this will not be done.  Live with it!"

These are my opinions...

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 06:27:22 PM »

Oh, I have no problem with a forum! None at all! As long as all the members can see and participate in it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]