Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What the hell has happened here?!  (Read 8418 times)
Catchfire
New Santharian

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2003, 02:03:22 PM »

I think that Wren is absolutely right, and I should have mentioned it before, but I missed her post somehow.  There is zero excuse for a newbie to not read at least the tribal entry.  Preferably, they should read up also on the location they are from, and a few other things before finishing their CDs.  These are things we definitely should not sacrifice, otherwise, why are you dev guys spending all your time over there anyways? ;)  

Be Bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid... - Basil King

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkien

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 07:08:22 PM »

How about instead of demanding certain page amount for certain levels just an outline of the powers the char wants to have (e.g. fire magic capable of fireballs which is ~level 6)

The thing is you cannot prevent godplaying with the char desc anyway, instead let it be more thoroughly outlined in the char desc so the players in a story can point it out when a mage uses powers beyond his level without thought.

Generally the line should be that people who start out with a low level char should need less history only a thorough personality sheet while somoene who wants to start out with a level 11 mage needs to explain how that is supposed to have happened. Same for some dragonkiller or something.

Quote:
. These are things we definitely should not sacrifice, otherwise, why are you dev guys spending all your time over there anyways

This is indeed an important point and I want to remind people about it. We do not develop Santharia for the rgp board! That's the reason I'd say that we should loosen up on things. As long as it does not violate basics of Santharia we should see if can let some weird char slide or not, maybe some adjustment or two but that's it. Elves might be more special than humans but in general we are living 2000 years behind many compendium descriptions and the compendium is also 400 years old already so not everything is up to date there.

But I guess it's time to get to some more concrete discussion about what to do.

Artimidor Federkiel
Admin

Homepage
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2003, 08:22:22 PM »

(Slight correction: The Compendium is "recent", we live in the Santharian year 1663 as far as I know, and the Compendium is currently being worked on.)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...
Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2003, 08:35:22 PM »

It's kind of hard to outline magic abilities if there isn't a spell list, Koldar. And that is a requirement for any mage. It's the history that determines how they got those magic abilities.

The point of the page per level thing is to prove who is capable of being trusted to not god-mod, and so on, along with keeping people from always trying to be of those high levels. If you only had to outline the magic abilities and such, imagine how many people would come up with level 8/9/10 bios, because they no longer have to do a lot of work to earn what they have.

I guess I could lessen the page per level rule to something more 'reasonable', which still requires a decent amount of history, and should be more than the average character, but not pages per level if everyone thinks that's too out of hand, which I personally don't, and still think it's better.

:rolleyes

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2003, 10:04:22 PM »

My fault, I was confused by the beginning of the Age of Discoveries which is 400 years earlier. :\

@Dasson: No, when they point out that the skill level is extremely high (not limited to mages) from start then a good history should be necessary but a level 6 mage is just someone who recently graduated from Ximax and thus has possibly done little but studied for 20 years or so so why write a page long history about it?

So yeah, high-level should have a good story but someone who's just the average should not need it.

I think we should have more faith that players will know what might make an interesting play, and the others we have to size down anyway.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2003, 05:08:22 AM »

the page rule doesn't take place at level 6 because that is the average level.  But I also think the page increment should be lowered slightly, cause as of now as soon as a mage want to become level 7 he/she goes from having a short managable history to a seven page long history.

Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2003, 09:41:22 AM »

Level 6, the graduation level does not require a 6 page long history. The rule does not start till 7, but I'm thinking I should up that to 8, as 7 would likely be the average to anyone with a good deal of years of outside experience with magic under their belt.

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2003, 11:19:22 AM »

I think levels 7-10 are ones in which we should designate positions. I imagine that few others than professors of the Magic Academy would have such levels.

Koldar Mondrakken
New Santharian

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2003, 07:04:22 PM »

I'd make it less formal. How about lock anything above level 8 (level 6 average, level 7 being experienced, level 8 powerful) for starting chars? Any other level just needs a good explanation and reasonable time period of studying the magic arts?
I think as Rayne said level the higher levels would consist only of fewer than several hundred people and level 8 would be already very very poweful.

I just would think before introducing strange regulations(it's harder to explain it why 8 pages of boring history should be better than one page opf reasonable) it is better to just draw a line here. That's far clearer and can be easily explained with the fact that only few people in all Caelereth can reach that level.

On another note, how about making the Brownie Inn a newbie area where people just passing by or newbies waiting for a title can hang out before joining a story?
This would set the purpose of the taverns apart and give the everyone a place to rping without being limited to wait? Of course the people running the Brownie Inn must decide about it, I just thought other than the herald the Brownie Inn is already weird and it is in a civilized area so it would make sense. But that's only my opinion. Just say what you think about that idea.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Krys Maeclorin
New Santharian

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2003, 12:00:22 AM »

If a relative newbie can weigh in, I think the idea of an Inn for new folks to play is fantastic. I would have liked something like that while waiting for my title--a place to hang out and meet people while you're learning the rules, reading the background, figuring out where you'd like to jump in elsewhere, thinking up new ideas, etc.

Edited by: Krys Maeclorin at: 7/22/03 16:01
Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2003, 02:38:22 AM »

I actually think this idea about the brownie inn would be alright.  It would give players a feel for their character before they need to finish it.  I willl mention that to the mods Koldar.

And I also think we need to alllow fewer people at the higher levels pass through.  This levels are suppose to be rare then others and we only see this levels as PC's.  Something doesn't add up.

Catchfire
New Santharian

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2003, 02:39:22 AM »

I think that's a fantastic idea, Koldar.  It would give people waiting for their characters to be approved somewhere to go, and let them get familiar with the world, and how things are done.  In fact, I think that was the original idea behind the Brownie Inn (at least one of them) but it just never took off.  If we advertise that, I think it will work famously.

Be Bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid... - Basil King

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkien

Grakan Ironhammer
New Santharian

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2003, 04:06:22 AM »

Finally... this Dwarf c'n git some frelling work done! Tha' sooner that Brownie place is open the sooner I c'n bash some heads!

Aylix Goth
New Santharian

Homepage
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2003, 04:08:22 AM »

:lol  after the words of wisdom from teh Dwarven bouncer... I'd jus like to say ya... Koldar you may have hit on something there... it would definately give the newbies a place for a bit of character dev to start with... hmm....  

Aylix Goth - Resurrected especially to annoy YOU.
--
Fools and Heroes - UK Based LARP.
Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2003, 04:12:22 AM »

well see if you can get a few of the other mods active.  As soon as that happens I will convert the Inn

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]