Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finally in the valley of the Brownies  (Read 26797 times)
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2007, 12:06:41 AM »

Ken doesn't seem to notice the little display on the raft, intent instead on following the general group with Primrose, chattering happily about the brownies and whatever else that might lead him into.

A small group of brownies watches him carefully from a respectable distance - but Ken is definitely the one they are watching. When it is determined that the house is definitely ready for occupation, and that they will be staying at least the night, Ken cheerily walks into a corner and begins to unload his pockets.

Scores of rocks tumble out of his pockets, pretty, colorful rocks, mostly. The bulk of these he will, he decides, simply leave here; they have no value, really, only their colors. Then, out come his pouches, and a pile is made on the floor of these. Some of them are full, most of them empty, and a rare few with a little in them. Two pouches he pays careful attention to, one containing his sugar, and the other his meager amount of coin. They are set behind the pile, and the pile is then pressed up against them.

Thus unburdened, Ken boldly strides out into the land of the Brownies, breathing deeply the smells of this inhabited forest.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2007, 04:09:57 AM »

Capher was walking silently next to Ta'las with his hands folded inside his cloak, his cowl covering most of his face.  He heard Ta'las mutter something about the Council Tree.  "Cinnabark Pines grow tall and live a long life.  The Council Tree, my friend, is the oldest of them all, that is why it is so tall and round.  If it could talk it would tell you of a world when the elves ruled from a magnificent city and empire they called Fa'av'a'clar and humans had not even begin to settle the lands."

Primrose showed them a place to rest. It was a large hut, with root walls from the trees surrounding it. The brownies had sewed animal skins together such as rabbit and other smaller rodents as well as bird skins and covered up the empty spaces between the roots to make up the walls of the one room hut.  The roof was mainly constructed of intertwining branches with more animal skins stretched out filling up the spaces.

The opening to the hut was barely large enough for a man to enter in; though Ken would probably have no problem, thought Capher as he watched Ta'las first enter and then Talia and Terra and then Ken.  Primrose came out shortly and Capher watched her disappear in the foilage.

He sighed and then squeezed his way into the hut.  He was surprised to find out that the hut was quite large and he could stand up in it.  Ken had found a corner, had poured out some of his things and then walked back out of the hut.  Capher looked around seeking for a place for himself.  He found a root backed corner, took of his pack, and sat down.

Morcaanan entered and searched the place. He ended by saying it looked safe enough. Capher lightly smiled. Morcaanan did not look very comfortable in this place and he was pacing, like a tiger. Capher wondered what had happened between him and Teri.  The last time he had seen the two they were in a very close embrace.  Why Morcaanan had left Teri behind was a curiosity to Capher but he did not say anything.

He waited for the food and drink.
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2007, 06:19:03 AM »

Dispite her excitement for the trip up the river, it is evident Terra is not fully comfortable on the raft. She huddle close and holds Talia's hand for the entire trip, even clinging tightly when the raft feels less sturdy, though generally she giggles gleefully pointing out things with an exclaimation that she wants her mommy and daddy to look at. Terra seems just as happy when the ride was over and they were on steady ground again.

She starts to follow the others as Primrose asked not wanting to make the nice little brownie girl mad at her to, but she stops when she feels the slight tention on her hand. Watching where her mommy was looking she saw the big boy and girl holding each other like grown-ups do. Terra looks to Talia then back to the two, the girl seems to be happy, but sick and worried to, she wants to ask if the big girl was sick to but fear of the answer holds the her toungue still. Instead she follows Talia to the hut, still holding her hand, it was not till everyone is settled that she gathers the courage to to ask her question.

"Mommy, is she sick?", she asks with innocent worry in her voice obviously refering to 'Teri, "Does she have pain demons to? They make me hurt lots and have bad dream and make me sad. That's why we went camping? So the brownies can make my pain demons go away? I want them to go away...". Terra's voice begins to drift off like a tired child who is about to fall asleep.
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »

There is a pause as Ta'las considers what he knows of Fa'av'a'clar.  He crouches down next to Capher.  "That is the home of the Shadow elves.  I know little of it except that it is rumoured to be a place of darkness and evil, but from your words it sounds like it was not always so."  His eyes glitter in the dimly lit cabin.  "Can you tell me of it?"

Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2007, 10:34:48 AM »

Morcaanan catches himself pacing around the little room and pulls up short. Hang it, what is wrong with me? The room suddenly feels cramped, and he notices the little halfling wandering.

Curious about the newcomers - and since the dwarf didn't seem quite so friendly - he slips out of the hut and catches up with the halfling.
"I say, um - Ken, was it? - how did you manage to get wound up in this little adventure?"

Your Neighborhood Friendly Dragonmaster
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »

Ken turns, and his monologue makes a brief pause as he looks up to Morcaanan, and then laughs aloud. "How, yes, how! Ho, you see, it's an old story, really, and if I were to guess I'd say it has little to do with these people themselves. See, I'm lost - not that I mind being lost. There's nothing really wrong with it, 'cept I don't know where I am from where I was. But that's the way with being lost. Sometimes I get lost on purpose, just 'cause, you know, it's fun to go wandering about. I don't carry much with me, 'cause in the northlands there's always places to stay, and in the southlands it's never cold enough to warrant needing a roof. So, here I am, wandering about, and wouldn't you know it, I smell a campfire and cooking. I like to think myself a good hand with the food, although that's probably bragging me up a little taller than I really stand, you know, figuratively; I went and made myself right at home with the campfire, and before they could draw steel and chase me off, I'd made them breakfast. Good thing, too, 'cause losing one finger's bad enough, I don't know what I'd do if my head got sliced off. I'd probably just roll over and die, but there can be so much associated with that... it's just not a comfortable thought. I don't know of anybody - well, at least not many, who're eager to find themselves roasted on the end of somebody's steel. My father never had a sword, but I think I've got it in my blood. Not the steel, of course; the sword-skill. I've kept myself alive more than once with this thing; but you know, the sword really isn't the number one tool for survival. The way to really survive is to know what you can eat and what you can't. And, of course, where good water is and where it's bad. In the mountains like this, it's usually pretty good, the rocks and stuff... seem to keep it good. But the little slow desert streams... well, I've never seen them, myself, never having been to the southlands, but I would thing a stream like that would be more of a perpetual mudslide than a body of water. Can't be good to drink, I think. I like the water like this best straight out of the stream, rather than in the pouch. It just tastes better that way. You still have to move it to something for making tea with, though..."

By now, Ken's mind has wandered a bit from Morcaanan, looking round about as some brownies begin to congregate a safe distance away. A single gryphon rider watches from his perch, a tiny spear clutched tightly in his hand, waiting for the moment.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2007, 12:55:17 AM »

Capher sat back, his eyes seemed to stare at the root walls, but they were seeing something else. "Fa'av'a'clar, the empire and its capitol, Fa'av'darim was glorious; not only in size, but in structure.  It was built when the world was very young and elves, the first children of Ava, were more prolific in number than were any race that roamed the lands after the splitting of the Tree of Life by Coor the shadow." Pain and sorrow creased across Capher's face for a brief moment.

"Ava The Beautiful, as the elves call her, or the Dreameress, did not anticipate what Coor would do. When the Tree of Life was split many leaves fell off of it; some became my ancestors and kin and the others became the Brownin.  She hid the Tree of Life and left the world and the races she created; scared, scarred and unknowing, scattered.  It was the elves and their empire Fa'av'a'clar that the races were brought back to.  Under elven leadership, by a wise elf named Saban, the city grew and so did an empire. It was glorious to behold my friend," Capher said turning to face Ta'las.

"What happened to her and the empire is clouded under myth and history long long forgotten. The place where Fa'av'a'clar once spread out pristine and proud is as you say a place of evil, and its capitol Fa'av'darim is now the home of where the shadow elves and their queen live.  It is a shame and a tragedy of what happened to the first Saban, his wife and how the attack upon that family shaped his son and future generations of Saban's as well as a beautiful but vain woman that we call the 'Bone queen' who now rules over the Silver Marshes."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:17:40 AM by Capher » Logged
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2007, 11:20:11 AM »

It takes the Shendar a moment to digest everything Capher tells him - some of it sounds like myth and stories.  Yet, Capher was there! Ta'las thinks to himself in awe.  He spends another moment considering the consequences of Coor splitting the Tree of Life.

He scratches his chin and furrows his brow, and finally speaks.  "Is it possible that though Coor split the Tree of Life, that perhaps some good has come from that action?"  Before Capher can react, Ta'las continues with his thought.  "I am not proposing that Coor's intentions were good, nor that he wasn't inherently evil, for that we know.  Yet, I cannot help but think that perhaps the splitting of the Tree of Life may have actually helped it serve its purpose.  As you've said, the leaves of the tree became dragonkind and brownies.  Also, the scattering of the races - which caused great upheaval and strife - may have been necessary to allow the races to 'grow' and develop different perspectives on the world."

Ta'las shrugs and looks down.  "I hope I have not offended you with my thoughts, Capher, for I am often prone to looking for a purpose in everything."  He looks up and grins at his friend.  "I think it is the real reason my mother-sister sent me to find Talia."

Then, his face becomes serious again.  "Can you tell me more of Saban and the Bone Queen?  Do you think our quest will bring us to the Silver Marshes?"

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »

They all settle in this fabulous hut, made out of growing trees - or their roots, using branches and twigs, alive and dead and skins of every colour and size. She has never seen something like this before. These brownies are so different from those they met in the sewers of Strata!

Talia looks for some space where she and Terra could put down her stuff and do a makeshift bed. She chooses a place opposite to the door - with a root wall in the back , but nevertheless being able to look out through the entrance.

She has realised, that Terra is about to ask something since they have seen Teri hugging Jeheraid. When they have made themselves comfortable, she finally takes a heart to ask:

"Mommy, is she sick?  Does she have pain demons too? They make me hurt lots and have bad dream and make me sad. That's why we went camping? So the brownies can make my pain demons go away? I want them to go away...".

Talia takes Terra into her arms, lying her head on her shoulder and caressies her beautiful red hair. It is still a bit strange to hold this fully grownup woman in her arms like a child, a woman who is very capable to fight with a sword, much than than Talia ever was or will be, but it is the small girl who needs reassurance and only this small girl can find and save the great woman Terra could be in the future.

„ Terra, I cannot promise anything, for I don‘t know the Brownies and what they are able to do. But these elves in the Quallian I found very trustworthy and if they believe, that the Brownies can help us, than I hope and believe as well, that we will be healed, when we go away, or that we at least are on the way to recover. So, to make it short: yes, I think the Brownies are able to fight your demons and that they will ban them and drive them away. Great power lies often in those who are small in size.
And I think you asked, if Terri is sick? Well, she is not sick in the same way as we are, but there might well be a demon which haunts she as well. But in her case only she is able to fight it and destroy it. We can help her only in one way - be her friends and show her, that we love her. that will make her strong enough to fight her demons. Maybe Jeheraid can help her as well, I hope so.“

Then Talia falls silent. Capher and Ta‘las are sitting on the other side of the hut, talking about history and philosophy and Talia wonders about the interests of her Shendar-brother which she had not expected from a traveller and fighter. Eden has made herself comfortable as well. Morcaanan and Kenriil are outside, only Teri is still missing and Talia starts to worry.

After some time a group of Brownies is coming straight from the Council tree, one by one in a row, carrying a lot of food, fruits, tiny breads and small pieces of meat. They put their tiny loads next to the door and though every brownie has only a small load, it adds to quite an amount. Nobody of the big people has to go hungry to bed today. Some look with laughing faces through the door  at the big people, some wave and try to use their limited Tharian.

One of the lasts steps in the hut and announces:

„Primrose comes later, talks to big people about tomorrow. Good eating!“

And gone he is. Obviously he feels safer not so close to these big feet.

Talia is hungry , but she doesn‘t want to get up just now, so she asks Terra instead. “Are you hungry, Terra, shall we pick us some food?“

Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »

From a tree standing a little bit away from the hut, a greybark brownie is watching the big people. She is not at all afraid of them, not like the rest of her race. She has had more experience with big people than most of the others, having been away for quite some time, in the lands of the humans. She knows that some others speak Tharian better than she does, but that will not stop her from entering the hut soon. She wants to see them all from up close.

She is sitting on a branch, next to her her loyal owl, Nash. Her back leaning against the bark of the tree, one leg dangling down. She has not been back here, in the Valley, for what seems like an eternity, although in reality it could not have been more than one or two years. She didn't count the days while she was away. The exile had been self-imposed, born from a fear that she had killed a superior officer. She had wandered the lands of the humans, together with Nash, and met quite a few people. Some were good, some bad, some just were. They were actually quite like Brownies, except freakishly big. It was because she knew this that she was not at all afraid of them. Their big feet were also not really a problem for her - she knew how to avoid them.

She was not sure if she was glad she'd come back. She had felt guilty, all through her exile, for abandoning the officer that she'd hit. That was really the only reason she'd come back: to ask for forgiveness. She couldn't go on living with the guilt. For that she was glad, because the officer was far from killed. He'd only been knocked unconscious. It was her panic that had led her to flee. She knew that she'd be forgiven once she had lived through her punishment. Brownies were not at all grudging, but there needed to be consequences for certain actions. The greybark was quite sure that she would not feel the guilt anymore after her punishment. Until then, she would be no part of the militia.

On the other hand, she had only been back for about a week, and already she missed the freedom of the past year. This was the reason why she wasn't sure that she was glad to be back. Part of her was; the other part wasn't. Still, part of her punishment was to go to the big people, maybe help them a little where possible. She thought they had given her this task partly because she'd been away for so long, and partly to keep her busy. The rest of the punishment, she would hear later. First thing first, now. She got up, and limped over the branch towards Nash. She quickly climbed up, then waited for a second. She observed the two people who were outside. They were in conversation, and didn't seem to pay attention to her.

She gave Nash the order to fly over to the hut, or rather to a branch that was above the intertwining twigs that formed the roof. From there, she nimbly (though slowly, because of her leg) climbed down and found a way through the twigs, lying on a rabbit pelt, to observe the people who were inside. She'd go completely inside soon enough, but maybe there was a chance to play a trick on them. Her mischievousness hadn't abandoned her in her time away from the Valley. Tulpje grinned, and looked down at the big people.

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2007, 12:29:27 AM »

Terra is more at ease in Talia's arms though the trip including the fight in the cave seems just now to have taken a lot out of her. It seems that with her childish mind Terra also has the childish stubbornness when it comes to sleep, trying to fight it off not just because of the "pain demons" but because she wants to stay up longer with "mommy" and "daddy". Terra simply nods against Talia yawning sightly yet her stomach also grumbling lightly, perhaps this to helps Terra cling to her waking state, though only just. Her slight movements against Talia seem heavy and her eye lids drooped a little, sleep seems close to taking her but it's clear Terra will not let it take her easily, especially on an empty stomach.

Terra listens drowsily to her "daddy" talk to the "boy" she likes lots, not really sure what they are talking about or why, but it is more something to do while "mommy" gets her something to make her tummy not grumble. She looks to Ta'las with a drowsy longing, she had wanted to play with him and now finds herself too tired to do so, but the longing look caries now a hint of a grow woman as Terra straddles the cusp between being awake and asleep, but waits for the food that will quite her stomach and put her to sleep.

Some how Terra has found the strength to begin crawling up the river bank in her mind, making it to a stand of trees she collapses on her back, soo tired she just wants to sleep, and is afraid to let sleep take her for fear that is all it would take to allow the darkeness of insanity to claim her mind till the end of her days. Suddenly a bush russles not far away, Terra fears the worse, some dark thing coming to claim her and yet has no strength to do anything about it. To her surprise it is the little girl she had tried to protect that emerges and kneeles down beside her. "Are you okay?", the small familiar voice asks, so familiar it is almost as if her lips formed the words but they came from elsewhere. Terra manages only, "I am tired.", to which the girl replies in a tired hush as she lays down against Terra "I'm tired to.". As the small girl she finds so familiar, yet can not recognize the face or voice, lays down against her as if seeking her for warmth and comfort Terra feels something else familiar, a ghostly feeling not of the plain she is conscious of. A feeling of the real world where her real body resides, but it's to weak to distinguish, none the less, feeling one of her bonds to the real world restored is a great comfort allowing Terra to finally laps into the dreaming sleep she needs and being sure the small girl against her will not be long behind her.
Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:42 AM »

The stream of Kenriil's babble is enough to be nearly overwhelming. Morcaanan wonders if the halfling has somehow overcome the necessity to breathe - but pointedly decides against asking, a little afraid what that might lead to: probably a recounting of the abilities of fish to not need to breathe normal air, and where the best place to catch them would be, and what sort of flies would be useful...

Morcaanan shakes himself from that train of thought and looks to what has drawn Ken's attention. His mind strays just as quickly though, and he looks over his shoulder for 'Teri, wondering if she is still on the raft.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Dragonmaster
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »

Talia doesn‘t get an answer from Terra, just a murmur, for she is nearly asleep, obviously fighting sleep, but too tired to win. But her stomach tells her a different story. So she gently let Terra slip on her bed and gets up to fetch some food.

The food is delicious. Served on huge leaves (how have the brownies carried them?) meldar apples, vinterberries and other fruits, fresh baked tiny loafs of bread and meat pieces. Talia is slightly taken aback when she recognises, that there are stuffed mice. Well, why not. They might be a bit difficult to eat with all the little bones, but it was to be expected. Mice are the right size for a Brownie feast. They must go and hunt their food for themselves.  Big game!

Back in the hut she offers Terra a leaf-plate of food, but as she is asleep, she just puts it next to her. Some water would be nice. She picks up her water flask and goes to look out for some and she hasn‘t to go far. The brownies are really thoughtful. Next to the hut on the other side of one of the trees whose roots form part of the hut is a well,  a circle of stones build a basin where the water emerges from the ground. A small rivulet is leaving the basin. Talia fills her bottle and on her way back she looks out for Teri. Where is she? Still at the riverbank near the raft? That can‘t be, at least an hour has passed till they came to this place. Talia starts worrying and looks out for Teri.
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:43 AM »

There is a small sound at the door, and Ta'las looks up as the brownies begin carrying in small plates of food - well, small for a human.  He glances at Capher sheepishly when his stomach rumbles.  "I apologise for giving you so much to consider, my friend.  I will get us some food to give you some time to think."

The Shendar watches Talia also get up and then gives her a nod and a smile as she leaves the small hut.  He gathers enough of the fruit, bread and the stuffed mice, for himself and Capher.  As he turns to head back to sit with his friend, he catches sight of Terra who has fallen asleep.  The Shendar stops for a moment, happy to see that she is sleeping peacefully.  He wonders what the Brownies will do to help her regain herself, and then he walks back to Capher and sits down, setting the leaf 'plates' down on the floor between them.

"The brownies are a most hospitable people, my friend."  He takes a bite out of one of the mice, careful not to swallow any bones, and savours the taste - spicy and gamey, but not unlike some food he has eaten in the Rahaz-Dath.  "Have you thought more on my question?"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:19:53 PM by Talas Anthavin » Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2007, 06:02:35 AM »

Capher gazed down upon the food that Ta'las brought back.  He picked up some fruit and bread and thoughtfully munched on them. "I agree, they are most hospitable," my friend, "and yes I have been considering your theories. Though I, must admit, I have never looked at the splitting of the Tree of LIfe or of Coor at the way that you have suggested, the theory does have merit."

Capher picked up one of the mice delicacies and popped it into his mouth, he chased it down with some bread, then he grabbed his water gourd and drank heavily from it; the sweet taste of the river water was cool upon his tongue. "Those mice are a bit heavily spiced for my taste, but they are good." He said.

He sat back, gathering his thoughts. "I suppose if Coor would not have split the Tree of Life then my kind and the brownin would never have been created, if we follow your theory. However I believe that if we were destined to be created then Ava would have found a way to create us without Coor splitting the Tree of Life.  All that Ava dreamed and created in the beginning was beautiful. It was Coor who marred that beauty and that is why Ava chose to leave the world she created; she could not bear to see the ugliness that Coor descended upon her dream."

He drank more water. "The Bone Queen, as most call her now, real name is Avash'aelia. Her birth is lost in antiquity, some say she is the sister to Saban the Second, who founded the Eophyrhim tribe of elves, while others say she was the daughter of Kash'av'tayla, the Empress and priestess of Fa'av'a'clar and watched silently when Queprur decapitated her for preaching against the gods."

"Whatever her birthright, she was a great leader and showed unparelled cunning in battle tactics and a warrior that few, if any, could match at the time.  I believe she became mad though as time and the battles she fought increased and she had victory over.  She reclaimed the capitol of Fa'av'adrim and held it many months against the repeated assaults of human and Orcish armies.  She received her name when she came back from a very bloody skirmish, with a bag full of her enemies carved up bodies.  She stripped the skin off of each body and using magic she reinforced and molded those bones into armour that was near impossible to penetrate.  It was the wearing of that armor that caused people to call her the "Bone Queen"

"She fought a four day long single combat with an Orcish General, Us'gar Lock'um'rak, who had planned the surprise attack upon Saban the First and killed him, and defeated him.  She came back and for a while went south with Saban the Second, then parted company and went back to the now ghost city of Fa'av'adrim and gathered the small pockets of elves that had stayed behind and became their Queen. These elves worshipped Coor alone and over time they became the Shadow Elves.  They are shadows of their original selves never to die always to serve their Queen and worship Coor," Capher frowned, "I am not sure if our travels will take us close to the Silver Marshes. I, for one, hope not, my friend." Capher sighed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]