Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finally in the valley of the Brownies  (Read 26794 times)
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2007, 01:44:35 PM »

After considering Capher's answer a moment, Ta'las nods in response.  He does not understand the reasons for the gods' actions, but Capher has given him much to think about.  The Shendar eats some of the bread and fruit, as he ponders his friend's words some more.  "There is much you know of this world, Capher.  Much that is forgotten by our race, I think."

Then he looks over at Terra.  "Capher, what can you tell me of the Sophronians?  You've told us something of them, ealier, before we entered the Gorge.  Yet, I felt there was more you would have liked to have said."

He looks back and Capher and leans closer.  "My friend, I'm sure you realise there is more to my question than just a passing interest."  He pauses a moment and looks back at Terra.  "I know they are a proud tribe of warriors, but I would like to understand more."

Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2007, 04:46:18 AM »

Reluctantly, 'Teri lets herself back down. Her legs have only begun to support her weight, albeit very weakly, and by now, she doesn't even know what the rest of the group is doing. Since Morcaanan left, she willed herself off the raft, and dragged herself away from the stream to rest by a tree with lower-hanging branches. These, she has been using to help herself stand, until she can, somewhat unsteadily, walk. From here, now standing, she should be able to recover more quickly with increased blood flow through her legs - by walking, which she tries. Surely enough, after several stumbling strides, her footing becomes more stable, and she is almost walking normally when she approaches the hut. A little ways off she sees Morcaanan, under assault by some pointless knowledge dispensed freely from the halfling, and she finds herself mildly amused at the man's slightly uncomfortable look - and yet, carefully dodges his gaze, slipping into the hut where Capher and Ta'las sit talking about something.

Quietly, although not exactly stealthily, she leaves her pack and takes some of the food offered, berries, and only a few of them, eating them one at a time as she steps back out, again steps quickly away before most any of the others might have time to recognize her, and around behind the house. Finishing the berries, she places her hands on a limb and gives a little hop to begin climbing into a tree. Normally, she would have swung easily atop, but now something goes wrong, and she slips, her feet losing their position entirely. She stifles a startled cry, and drags herself up onto the limb, kneeling on one knee and breathing heavily, trying to calm herself. After a short rest, she climbs a little higher, and is now above the hut, looking into the trees on the other side of the building, where stands, curiously inspecting its surroundings, the most curious owl...

Curiosity overcomes her, and her eyes travel downwards until they rest on what may - or may not - be a brownie, looking into the house. She waits silently, watching for what she believes is a small gray figure to move, to prove itself either real, or simply a good illusion.

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »

The distance between the hut and the river is just about a stral, so Talia wonders, where Teri could be. With a quick step - though very cautious to not to stumble over a Brownie she walks to the near river, but there is ot sign of Teri, nor can she find one on her way back. Teri isn‘t surely at the other side of the Council Tree. She tries to question a Brownie, but gets only a friendly smile and a shrugging of the tiny shoulders as an answer. Tharian isn‘t very common here. Even more worried she looks out for Jeheraid and Ken who are still outside the hut and joins them.

„Morcaanan, I can‘t find Teri. Any idea, where she could be?“
Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »

Jeharaid had also begun looking for 'Teri. When Talia caught up with him and asked if he might know where she was, he shook his head.

"No; I've started wondering..." He gave Talia a worried look. "You don't suppose anything could, umm...happen to her in a place like this, do you?" The worse thing that Jeharaid could think of was 'Teri falling into the water with her weak legs, but it seemed that someone would have noticed if that had happened. The Brownies didn't seem hostile.

"Maybe she went to the hut and we missed her" he said as lightly as he could, starting in that direction.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Dragonmaster
Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »

After studying the big people inside the hut, Tulpje didn't see an immediate chance of playing a trick on them. She listened for a while, but Tharian was hard to follow if they didn't talk to her directly and - more importantly - slowly. Still there was always the element of surprise. She'd seen her fellow brownies go near the hut, and sometimes a (very small) distance inside on foot, but the birds of the militia were kept at a distance, though close by. She thought Nash was the closest bird at the moment, and he couldn't really be seen, sitting only just above the hut as he was.

With this purpose in mind, she moved and stood up, ready to go to Nash. Her intention was arrested, however, by the sight of a woman next to her bird, looking straight at her. So, she was discovered before she could even swoop in there with Nash... Oh well, maybe some other time. If she was going to get close to these people and help them if she could, she might as well start making acquiantances. She smiled at the woman, and moved closer to her, her limb not very obvious as she is not walking in a straight line, though a close observer might see that she is sparing her right leg, so that she is not as fast as other brownies would be.

When she is closer to the woman, she puts up a hand in a gesture of greeting. "Hello!" she says. "I Tulpje. What your name?"

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:58 AM »

"Ta'las my friend, I promised Terra to tell her more about her heritage when she was healed. It would be unfair for me to tell you first. You will just have to be patient...sorry.

Capher muched on another piece of bread, washed it down with water. "Ta'las I must ask you to promise me something. When I was answering your questions I let slip a secret that has been kept by me for, let's just say, for a very very long time and your quick mind picked it up and you discovered my true identity.  No one knows. I believe and I try to help their belief think that I am just a powerful shapeshifter, but because of my slip, you know that I am really a shapeshifting dragon.  It has been my wish for decades and longer to be human, but that desire has not come to pass.  I do not want the others to know...yet.  So promise me that you will keep my secret, please," Capher pleaded.
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2007, 01:10:47 AM »

'Teri takes a moment to overcome the start of seeing this little thing she thought might have been someone - prove to be someone! After only a slight jump, she looks a little closer and smiles - the Brownies have a way with disappearing, an uncanny way, especially a greybark into a leafy roof, where the gray and green meld closely together. "I am... 'Teri," she replies slowly, deciding to drop the first two complex syllables of her name. "It is good to meet you, Tulpje," 'Teri finishes, speaking each word deliberately.

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2007, 10:45:41 AM »

When Capher mentions it would be unfair to speak more of Terra's past, Ta'las is a little disappointed, though he understands his friend's reasons.  However, as Capher reiterates his desire to be human, the Shendar recalls one of the stanzas spoken to the group by the Leias during their meeting with the Elven Circle.

A mortal being can not support
where but eternal might succeeds
though aching old can be refreshing new
where joy and sorrow meets

The Shendar looks at Capher and his eyes widen, and he gasps in shock and fear.  Grief sears through him, but he suppresses it.  "As you wish, I will not speak to the others of this, my friend," he replies in a low, steady voice.  He finishes eating what is on his plate and then leans back against the wall and closes his eyes. 

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »

Terra stirs from her peaceful slumber, obviously her grumbling tummy getting the better of her. Her eyes ease open as she mutters "Mommy?", before anyone could answer for Talia's absence, Terra's eyes were open and though drowsy could see she was not in the little hut. She is not panniced though as her daddy and Ta'las where there with her. It does not take her long to find the plate of food that was left for her and which her stomach had been much desiring, it takes even less time for her to start picking at the fruits and little breads. She eats with increasing eagerness but as some of the fuits shift to reveal a stuffed mouse Terra leaps back with a squeel of fright "Daddy! There's a mousy in my food!". Terra's eyes remain locked on the plate her back scooted flat against the root walls of the hut as she begins to tremble a little.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2007, 02:00:28 AM »

Ta'las promised and then he looked at Capher with a myriad of emotions crossing his face. Capher waited for a question or something but Ta'las just sat back and closed his eyes.  Capher was a bit curious about this when he heard Terra squeal and say there was a mousy on her plate.

Capher, bent over, scuttled over to Terra and put his arm around her. She was shaking. "It is ok, Terra. The mouse is dead. You are supposed to eat it. It is food...see?" Capher said as he picked up the mouse, ate it and rubbed his stomache. "Umm, good."  He picked out another mouse, placed it on his palm and held it in front of Terra. "Now it is Terra's turn," he said smiling at her.
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2007, 06:10:32 AM »

„She wasn‘t in the hut when I left. I don‘t think she slipped in while I was searching for her outside, but let‘s see. Or have you seen her, Kenriil? Jeheraid, you look in the hut, I go around. Ken, could you ask the brownies, you are smaller and they might like it better if you address them.“

Talia hurries back to the hut - it is only a few peds away - and hears Terra cry out. She understands „mouse“ and realises, that it must be the food. But before she enters goes around the house to see, if Teri might have walked in the other direction, but there is no sign of her.

„Teri is gone!“ she announces to the others in the hut.

Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »

Morcaanan had made his way to the hut, and thought, for one very brief moment that he had heard 'Teri's voice. But when he walked around the structure, there was no one to be seen - it didn't occur to him to look up.

He came into the hut at almost the same moment Talia did.

"'Teri's gone!" she blurted without preamble.

Morccaanan glares at the woman for not thinking through what that statement might do to everyone in their stressed-out condition, but he bites his tongue and says nothing. Instead he stepped outside again, feeling suddenly helpless.

Why am I here? This is hardly the time to be thinking about himself, but oddly, he can't fathom that something bad has happened to 'Teri. Maybe she just needed some time alone, and he was willing to let her have it, after what she had said on the raft.

Why am I here? The question repeats itself, gnawing at his mind like a disease. He had come back for 'Teri. But suddenly...suddenly, it felt as if she didn't really want him.

She doesn't want you the doubt whispers to his mind. You placed everything on the line for nothing.

Is that true? This party of travelers...whatever understanding of them he had begun to develop before had been washed away in his absence. And now, they seem barely interested in his presence. Except for Aueniteri. But she had all but told him off, at least, that's how it is beginning to feel.

His lips still burn with the fire that her kiss had left, and yet...it felt in some ways like a goodbye.

Accept the inevitable, Jeharaid the doubts whisper again. You are alone. You have always been alone. And even here, you will remain...alone.

He slumps to the ground by the door of the hut, lost in his self-pitying thoughts for the time being.

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

Terra's squeal shakes him from his thoughts, and then Talia rushes in and shouts that 'Teri is missing.  He sees that Capher has seen to Terra, so Ta'las goes to see if he can find the elf.  Before exiting, he looks back at Capher and Terra, and then at Talia.   He smiles and quietly asks,"Talia, will you please stay with Capher and Terra?  I will find 'Teri - I do not expect she has gone far."

With that, Ta'las exits the hut and glances down at Morcaanan.  He is about to berate the man for laying about, but then notices the despondent look on the warrior's face.  Ta'las considers for a moment that Morcaanan is here among near-strangers, including the group he has been travelling with and just saved.  The Shendar also remembers the regret in the man's eyes for not leaving the Quallian with the group.  He puts his hand on Morcaanan's shoulder.  "Come, Morcaanan.  Let's find 'Teri."

As Ta'las waits for Morcaanan, he walks a few paces to where the ground is a little softer and reveals footprints well.  It is difficult to discern, as there are many sets of prints here - he recognizes Morcaanan's and Eden's heavy-booted prints, and is able to distinguish after a few moments the lighter, smaller prints of Kenrill.

The Shendar kneels and bends down so his nose is only inches from the ground, and traces the five sets of prints that belong to the remainder of the group.  All five of the sets of prints start toward the hut, but are then lost as the ground becomes more firm in front of their shelter and reveals little about the people he is tracking.  He smiles however, as he notes that one set of prints in the soft earth is a little lighter, and unevenly spaced.

"She has come this way, my friend," he says as he rises.  He nods at Morcaanan and holds out a hand to help the warrior to his feet.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »

Tulpje nodded her head at the introduction. "Nice meet you", she says. She was just about to ask whether 'Teri did not want to go to the other Big People, when she heard the commotion in the hut - she was, after all, standing just on top of it. She listened for a moment, and though she could only understand part of it, she got the drift.

"People look you. Not go down?" she asks. To be honest, she is now rather curious to meet all the other people. If she can't play a trick on them, she can at least go down to them as well, though she is just a bit nervous about all the Tharian she was going to hear and have to speak.

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »

Morcaanan takes the Shendar's hand and comes to his feet. He seemed to be making an effort to be kind, and for that Morcaanan was grateful, but at the moment it seemed of little import.
He followed Ta'las around the hut, a little impressed with the man's tracking skills - far superior to his own.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]