Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finally in the valley of the Brownies  (Read 26249 times)
Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2007, 12:06:02 AM »

Morcaanan knelt next to 'Teri as the two Shendar made their way back to the hut - Primrose remained behind.

"Don't move" the mercenary orders firmly as 'Teri rolls onto her side and tries to rise. His voice is cool and controlled as he tries to determine how badly she is hurt. He gently presses a hand to her chest and then stomach and feels the swelling.

"Are you a healer?" asks the Brownie.

"No. But I've inflicted enough wounds in my time to recognize some things." Morcaanan is not sure what to make of her icy stare - or maybe she is always that way.

"I am going to lift you" he warns 'Teri. Without waiting for a response, he slips his arms around her shoulders and under her legs, and gently raises her up.
He carries her to the hut in silence not quite sure whether he should speak, and if he should, what could he say? He could see tears in her eyes from the pain, and wants very badly to say something comforting, but remains mute. It's a moment of awkwardness, and one he does not feel well prepared to handle.

He takes her inside and lays her she could prop herself up against a root. He turns hastily to Capher. "She fell" he said rather bluntly. "There does not seem to be any serious injury, but I am not a healer." He turns to 'Teri, opens his mouth as if about to say something...then shuts it with a snap and walks out of the hut, which was beginning to feel very crowded and stifling.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Dragonmaster
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2007, 06:29:28 AM »

Talia wants to believe Ta‘las words, but when he steps back to greet this little brownie who is suddenly with them, she feels again alone. She misses her Shendar-sisters, the laughter and the little secrets exchanged while sitting around the fire, the closeness and mutual understanding only women can share.

She goes back inside the hut, Morcaanan is here to help Teri in, though there is something between the two which is not in order at all, and that depresses Talia as well. Does Teri need the Brownies as well to find to herself? It seems, as if all who are here are seeking something - maybe except Ta‘las who stands solid as a rock. Kenriil is surely trying to forget something as well behind his talking without a break. It is impossible that all hobbits are like him!

Inside the hut Talia informs Capher at once about Teri‘s mishap and that she has probably some severe bruises, but nothing is broken. She places herself again next to Terra who seems to have finished her meal.

Morcaanan brings in Teri, but leaves again, with an unhappy expression on his face. Primrose enters as well.
Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

Primrose ordered Tulpje to go get help for 'Teri, but then there suddenly were other people. One of them helped the crying woman, Talia she thought someone had called her, and the other stayed with 'Teri. Uncertainly, she limped behind the man and the woman, not sure if the other man could carry 'Teri or if she should go on inside the hut and get one of the other people. Before she has time to come to a decision, the man who is helping Talia kneels beside her, introducing himself, although she really only understand the beginning and the end of his introduction.

"I Tulpje." She says. She has the feeling she will have to repeat that a few times before everybody knows her. "Not help. I not big, very small, no heal. Only there, not save 'Teri fall." She is not sure if Ta'las understood what she was trying to say, that she had only been there and could do nothing more. Every time that she comes into contact with the big people, she feels this frustration. She could explain it all very well in Browniin, but then they wouldn't understand her, and in Tharian she is never sure if she is using the right words, if the people understand her meaning. Brownies like Primrose seemed to have no problem learning other languages, but Tulpje was not like Primrose. Even after that time among the Big people, she still had trouble expressing herself.

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2007, 03:27:42 AM »

Capher thanks Talia for the update and watches with curiosity and sorrow the silent exchange between Teri and Morcaanan. The sublties, ebbs and tides of the heart was still a mystery to him even though he has seen and lived many more lifetimes than those around him.  It was a mystery that someday he hoped to unravel or at least have the chance to.

Talia comforted Terra on one side while he was on the other.  He heard the distinctive sound of Primrose's voice outside of the hut. She was giving orders to someone he could not see.  He took his arm off of Terra, made a quick examination of Teri with his eyes, and then poked his head out of the hut. 

A brownbark brownie was speaking to a kneeling Ta'las. Capher caught the name; Tulpje and he understood her. She was no healer and could not save Teri. Capher wondered how Tulpje knew Teri's name.  He just looked at the two and then he walked out of the hut, pass the two, and found Morcaanan.

Morcaanan had his back to him and Capher gently touched his left shoulder. "Friend, something troubles you. If you want to talk about it I have a wiling ear. Teri will be fine, she is bruised but nothing broken and I can see healing brownies already heading to the hut.  They will have her back on her feet in no time.  I have seen them do wonders beyond belief, sometimes with their lifemagic."

Capher paused to let Morcaanan say something if he so desired, but Morcaanan stayed silent. Capher continued, "Friend, I do not know what you are thinking or feeling but I want to say this; whatever happens from here forward I want to give you my thanks and gratitude for following us and saving us back in caves. If it were not for your intervention, who knows what would have happened?  All of us here owe you their lives. If your only purpose in our quest was just that event then be proud that you fulfilled it, however I truly believe it was just the beginning of your purpose and aid in our quest."

Capher gently squeezed the big man's shoulder in comfort and in thankfulness.
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2007, 02:28:26 AM »

'Teri wants to cling to him, to hold tightly to Morcaanan as she is carried into the hut, but somehow, she does not, and is finally lain on some kind of bed. Then, Morcaanan looks at her briefly, and now, as he turns to leave, she does reach for him - but he is already gone. With effort, she turns about to hide her face as she cries, not wanting the others to see.

Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2007, 05:42:47 AM »

"Friend, something troubles you. If you want to talk about it I have a wiling ear. Teri will be fine, she is bruised but nothing broken and I can see healing brownies already heading to the hut.  They will have her back on her feet in no time.  I have seen them do wonders beyond belief, sometimes with their lifemagic."

Jeharaid shifted but didn't reply.

"Friend, I do not know what you are thinking or feeling but I want to say this; whatever happens from here forward I want to give you my thanks and gratitude for following us and saving us back in caves. If it were not for your intervention, who knows what would have happened?  All of us here owe you their lives. If your only purpose in our quest was just that event then be proud that you fulfilled it, however I truly believe it was just the beginning of your purpose and aid in our quest."

For a moment, he was tempted to shrug the old Wolf away. But something compelled him to speak. Perhaps it was a desire to relieve the burden he carried, to share it with someone. Or perhaps he was just seeking out his own feelings and trying to sort them.

"Was it worth it, Old Wolf? He shrugged. "I wonder that I am so selfish. I did not return for a truly noble cause, if that's what you think. There are times I wish I could be free of the feelings Thiotís within me."

He sat down and leaned against a tree, staring at nothing in particular. "I have always striven to follow the example of Ghal, to seek justice as a higher ideal to reach Helón." His frown deepened. "I left in selfishness. And I returned out of selfishness. And now, on the one hand I may have lost that which is eternal in exchange for something that is temporal, and I am now denied it." There was a thick vein of bitterness in his voice as he spoke.
"You speak of this 'quest' as if I am fated to do something great or important." He shook his head. "If I am fated to do anything, and fate is not something I hold to, it would seem I am fated to wound - or be wounded. It has been my life. I see no reason why it should change now."

As he spoke this last sentence his eyes turned towards the hut, feeling as if the last pieces of his heart were being slowly torn apart in there and he could not stop it. Then he turned away again and fell silent.

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »

"Greetings, Tulpje," Ta'las replies with a smile.  "It is a pleasure to meet you."  The Shendar looks up as Morcaanan and then Capher exit the hut and move off to a tree where they speak in hushed tones.  The look on the warrior's face worries Ta'las, and he is relieved to see Capher speaking with him.

He looks back at Tulpje.  "My friends and I will be meeting with Primrose soon.  Would you like to meet some of the others?"

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Story Mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2007, 02:54:09 AM »

Terra cuddles close to Talia, as if knowing she is upset, and watches 'Teri who is obviously upset as well. She begins to tremble ever so slightly trying not to get upset herself. Everyone seems upset and Terra begins to blame herself and her pain demons for hurting them. Burying her head slightly into Talia, she looks towards Primrose as she enters, Terra seeming about to cry but instead addresses primrose with a question, "Can you really make pain demons go away?" her voice comes small and sad before burying her face fully trying to hide her tears.
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:34 AM »

Talia isn't the only one that thinks there could be something hiding behind Ken's talkative nature, but in reality, it is only his nature. He is still chatting merrily as he wanders past Capher and Morcaanan, greeting them with a wave, and yet, even he is starting to feel a little lonely - or maybe haunted. Brownies have been everywhere around him as he has wandered their valley, always watching him, but never close, never daring, it seems, to come out and talk to him.

One must realize that Ken is no empath, yet the weight he feels when he enters the little hut knocks the breath out of him. His eyes travel slowly around as he stands stunned in the doorway, not a word coming from his mouth for quite some time. Then, silently, he wanders over to his stuff, and sits, looking around. There it is, just what he wants, a sturdy stick. He picks it up, flops it about, then ratches through his things until he comes across a length of string. He ties the string to both ends, pulling it taut, and then plucks it.

The resulting sound is dull, almost tuneless, but with his left hand he bends the stick, and plucks it again - and the tone changes. Satisfied, he begins plucking out a cheery rhythm, bending and relaxing the stick quite at random, and once he thinks he has the timing down, begins to sing aloud. The song's tune wanders, as does its meaning, simple rhymes slapped together as they come to his mind, but always, it is sung cheerily.

"Pluck an old string willow lute
Pluck the tune and sing the tune
Sing the heart that's in the roots
Sing t'the roots and sing t'the moon.

"Fear an old string willow lute
Fear it's got my man the boot
b'Fear isn't letting old owls fly
And th'fear of breaking's why.

"Jump an old string willow lute
Jump, I say, and jump!
Sitting down you're all a lump
Sitting grows you roots."

He keeps plucking out the rhythm, but has run out of rhymes. So, tapping the rhythm with his foot, he grins, tosses the stick to Talia, and shifts to clapping as well as tapping his foot to keep the rhythm going.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

Capher listened to the despair and bitterness in Morcaanan's voice.  Some of Morcaanan's thoughts mirrored his own. But then he remembered what Talon had told him a long time ago when he began to despair and become bitter. "Morcaanan, I cannot, nor will I demean what you are feeling or what you must be going through, for I am not you. However I have been to the point of despair and bitterness many times and the one thing that helps me get through is something my friend Talon told me once a long time ago. He said, 'the trials and tribulations of our bodies and our hearts are meant to used to mold us, shape us, sharpen us and teach us. So, when those things come our way, be thankful, for in due time we will be better for it."

At the time I had no idea what he meant and even disagreed with him...quite vehemently, if I recall correctly, but as time went on and I went through more trials and tribulations and came through them a little bit wiser, a liitle bit stronger; not only physically but mentally as well, a little more of my rough edges worn off; I saw myself as a diamond in the rough being slowly shaped into the precious gem I am supposed to be."

"I know that you do not believe in destiny, so be it. However I do think you believe yourself to be condemned by something or someone. Let me tell you a bit of wisdom I have learned through these ages; No one controls your destiny or fate or whatever you wish to call it; you control it. It is the one gift given to all of the Children of Ava, as the elves believe, that not even the gods have; free will.  How you use that free will, for good or ill, is up to you and you alone.  If you feel like it was not worth it coming after us, then why did you? that is a rhetorical answer, I do not expect you to answer it except in your own mind." 

"If you think that coming after us, or perhaps I should say Teri, for she truly is what is weighing heavy upon your heart. It weighs heavy upon hers as well, I can see it in both of your eyes, so do not go and deny it.  If it as you say was a selfish thing to pursue someone you care about, even love, then I dare say that we all will at some time be that selfish.  It is the one constant in this world that those we love or care for the most are the one's we will hurt the most and yet the hope is that between all of this love and hurt; we grow as beings."

Capher paused as he thought he heard singing. "I do not expect you to understand all that I have just said now Morcaanan. I just hope you will think upon it and perhaps see the wisdom in it."

Capher could swear he could hear singing. "Do you hear singing, Morcaanan?"
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2007, 01:18:44 AM »

Several Redbark brownies entered the hut and spoke briefly with Primrose in their own language. They had seen Tulpje talking with one of the big persons outside of the hut but paid her no mind.  They walked over to where Teri lay. Primrose walked up to Teri's face, "These are healers, they will use their lifemagic to help your bruises and wounds to heal. Just lay still and allow them to do their work."

The brownies then came forward and placed themselves in precise locations on and around Teri's body.  They began to chant in their own tongue.  Teri, somewhat confused, tried to lay back and be still, but it was difficult for her.  The chanting continued and then several leaves from the roof fell, they were no longer green, but brown and whithered.

Teri could feel the soreness around her ribs go away and her breathing was better and without pain. She lifted her shirt and looked at her side and saw that the bruises that had been there; purple and dark, were slowly fading away.  She looked a bit astonished.

"You must lay still. They are not done yet," Primrose scolded.

Teri lay back down.

The brownies took up their chants once again and more leaves fell, a small root, curled up and died and then it was all over.  The brownies looked old, exhausted and seemed to have more wrinkles upon them then when they first did.  They slowly walked out of the hut, not saying a word.

"You had an internal injury that took more life than we had first figured to heal you. But all is well now," Primrose said, then turned when one of the last of the brownies spoke to her, Primrose's face frowned and then nodded and the brownie turned and walked away.

Primrose faced Teri once again. "The healers say you have a wound in your heart that they cannot heal. They felt it and are sorrowful for not being able to heal it. I hope whatever this wound is, that you will find a way to heal it," Primrose explained. "Excuse me now as I speak to Talia and Terra." Primrose added.

She turned and walked to where Terra was being held in the arms of Talia.  She could see the wide expression of awe in their eyes as they had watched what had been done to Teri.

"Your healing's will be much more difficult and will require many more healers as well as life to die, to be reborn again." Primrose said to Talia, knowing that Terra would not understand.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2007, 02:41:45 AM »

Tulpje nods at Ta'las' offer. She'd love to meet the other Big folk, despite her having to talk Tharian all the time. She smiles at the man, saying: "Yes, like to. But you help I?" She looks down at her knee ruefully, than back up at the man. "Quicker if helping." she says. She'd never be able to keep up with him if he just walks to the hut. The best thing would be if he put her on his shoulder. She had experienced a long time before that that was actually a vantage point. He'd have to handle her carefully though, but she wasn't sure how to explain this to him. Oh well, if he took her hint partially and only took her in his hand, she'd be able to climb up to his shoulder, that wasn't really the problem. Just so long as she didn't have to hobble around to the entrance by herself.

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16:34 AM »

Talia hopes the time will come soon where the Brownies will use their powers to heal her and Terra . She is trembling inside when Terra cuddles close to her. She so dearly wants to comfort her friend, but it is hard if oneself is at the brink of snapping. She can‘t understand why she feels this way, but she has to accept, that the demon has done greater harm to her as she had thought.

Suddenly music fills the room. Ken had entered unnoticed and starts to sing , accompanied by a quickly made - string instrument. it is not very musical, neither the instrument nor the song, but it fills her with joy and she feels better than for quite some time now. When he has ended he tosses his „instrument“ towards her as if she should try it as well, but  several other redbark brownies are entering and start to heal Teri. All are watching carefully - is this what they will do with Talia and Terra as well? Though it takes some time it is quickly over and Teri seems to have lost her bruises - but Primerose talks about a wound in the heart as well which they cannot heal. Talia sighs. Why is the relation between Teri and Jeheraid a problem, why can‘t it be a happy affair?

Then, suddenly, Primrose is addressing her.

!"Your healing will be much more difficult and will require many more healers as well as life to die, to be reborn again."“ and after a short silence she adds, looking at Terra:

!"Yes, I think we can do that, your pain demons will go away, but you have to help us chasing them away, you need to trust us, will you?"“

"It requires that other life will die?“
Talia asks.!"I don‘t know, if I want to be responsible for that - what kind of life will die?“

Primrose looks at her with an expression which nobody can interpret, but after a short moment she answers:

!"Well, you do eat green things and even meat, do you? These things have to die as well to sustain you. But we can try to approach it in a soft way, it is better for you as well, but it takes its time and it won‘t be necessarily a good time for you. That depends a bit on your character.

Again she pauses, but nobody says anything to not interrupt her.Then she continues:

!The life force of both of you is greatly disarranged. As I have heard, you met a demon, Lady Talia and visited the  grey land. Not many return from there and you needed mighty friends to bring you back.“

With a knowing expression on her face she looks at Capher.

!Lady Terra has imprisoned herself. You both need close contact to the life-forces which drive this world. The main life-forces are the known elements, fire, water, earth and wind. you need to be exposed to all four and the contact with them , with the life-force in those four will help to balance your own again. It is like if something is bend inside you, in a disorder so to say. the contact with the elements will bring again the order you need to be whole and sane. It will not be an easy task.“

Again she falls silent, but finally she gets up from the ground where she was sitting .

“Go to sleep now, tomorrow we will come to get you an hour before sunrise to prepare your bodies to meet the element of fire, for it will be the first you will be exposed to. I have other duties, but Softhands and others will look over you. Sleep well and don‘t fear the tomorrow.“

That said she nods to the whole group and goes out of the hut.

Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2007, 12:23:59 AM »

The Korweynite was not sure what to make of all that Capher had said, but he had no chance to question it, for he called Morcaanan's attention to a somewhat musical sound. He cocked an ear in interest, but it stopped short and did not continue.

"Sounded like the halfling" Morcaanan said after a moment. He stood and slowly followed Capher to the hut, just as several Redbarks came out, followed by Primrose. She gave him a cryptic look before walking away. In curiosity, he stepped into the hut.

'Teri looked better - in some ways at least. He noticed the dead the leaves and the curled root around her and wondered what had happened. But she still looked pained in some way.
Capher's words from outside floated back to him. He wondered what he should do. He looked away and gave the slightest shake of his head before stepping outside again. He unbelted his sword, sat and laid it across his knees, leaned against the hut near the door then shut his eyes and began to drowse.

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2007, 02:34:34 AM »

The music was fun, but now it has died. Ken steps outside, his normal cheerfulness drawn down greatly by the sobriety of those around him. Wishing to be a little distance from it, he steps outside after Morcanaan, and simply watches the warrior.

Ken is silent as he does this. The heaviness has closed his mouth, and that alone is a strangling feeling to him. He wants to talk, wants to babble on about whatever comes to his mind - and yet it feels as though to do so is breaking sacred ground. He seats himself a little ways off from Morcanaan, facing him, and after a long silence, begins, "Mind if I? Why is everybody so glum? Not my business I guess, but...

He falls silent for a brief moment, and then continues, "You didn't really like listening to me talk earlier, and that's just fine. I don't expect people to listen much after I've responded to them. But if you don't mind, I'd like to take an initiative here. Ever heard of Ebheron? It's a poem I heard once - parts of it. Just an old tale... really not much to it. I mean, it's kindof long, but... it goes like this...

"It began with a man who was too weak to stand
It began with a man who was ill.
Took from strife to his wife for the rest of his life
And his sons all a score set to till.

"Twenty men, and twenty again
And twenty the ages thereafter
'Til begotten forgotten the bones that were rotten
That brought them their lands and their laughter.

"But Ebheron split, all of it, shy no bit
And became lands free and enslaved
Some were the builders and some the destroyers
Some the weak-hearted, some brave.

"The heart, from the start, 'fore 't all fell apart
Bore the sweet-sounding name Ebheron
The east became Tuyn, with all kinds of doin'
To build 'til the mountains were gone.

"In the west were the best kind of places to test
A man of his metal and valor
In Aidellos they grew the wheat, not a few
And all the smart men in their tower;

"The sands, the lands, the westernmost stands
Brought Milmin of honor and blood
Who chased and disgraced and destroyed and replaced
Never stopping to ponder on love.

"The mouth of Gauth fed from the south
The wharfies by the sea
And that's about the bulk giv'n out
From Ebheron to ye."

Ken stops for a moment, and takes a breath. He has been reciting rhythmically, but now stops and looks up to Morcanaan. "That's about where it tells the story. It's a long story... it goes until there isn't any more Ebheron. I heard the whole thing once - and I don't think I'm filling in many places by my own. Maybe a few, but... not yet. Or maybe where I forget, I think."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]