* 
Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?


*
gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize


Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator



Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Time of Healing  (Read 29340 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »

"We will leave soon - perhaps tomorrow," Ta'las says quietly.  He looks at Terra and smiles wistfully.  "I wish it did not have to be so, but I think we have done everything here that we came to do, and Capher will now need to seek help in the city of Ximax."  The Shendar begins to lead them toward the tree where Talia is speaking to a brownie.  From this distance, he is uncertain, but he thinks it might be Tulpje's owl on the branch next to his Shendar-sister.

"We can only guess about what we will face next.  At some point, our enemy will be aware that we are a threat."  Ta'las pauses and looks ahead, as he recalls his dream from the previous night, wondering if there is something connected to it, and he is ever mindful of the last line of the Elven seer's stanza to be wary of 'cheap deception'.

Then he squeezes Terra a little and looks back at her, setting aside his dark thoughts.  His eyes trace her features, and he puts to memory everything about these moments he has been able to share with Terra in the Vale.  "We have each other - whether we are here in the Vale or not."

He looks up, as they arrive at Talia's tree, and speaks loud enough so Talia can hear.  "Shendar-sister, are you ready to put your feet on the ground, as a desert-warrior is meant to do, or will you remain on your perch all day?"
Logged

Roosje Greenfields
White Messenger
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:44 AM »

Roosje watched the Storyteller wake up with a start. When he noticed her, she could just see him wondering about her - she had grown quite adept at reading Big People's faces, despite the fact that they were so, well, big. Not really wanting to repeat herself, though, she waited for the other one to wake up as well. When the Storyteller asked her who she was, though, Teri was only just stirring. Still, she might as well answer, it would not be long before the woman woke up completely.

"My name is Roosje Greenfields, Storyteller. I am sent here to make sure everything is in order here, and that you do not need anything else." Seeing that Teri was awake - and staring at her rather intently - she continued. "Also, I was asked to tell you that your companions will soon be here, and to be ready for them. All your companions."

Having delivered her main message, she looked from the old man to the woman and back. "So, is there anything I can help you with?"
Logged

Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 155


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »

Tulpje was not entirely sure what the woman meant with some of the things she said, such as 'earthburned', though she brightened when she heard the last words - because she understood them. "Yes, yes" she nodded vigorously, "Go to hut, go other Big people. Continue road."

She was interrupted by Ta'las appearing underneath the tree and calling up to Talia. As she waited for the woman to climb down and go to the hut, she stroked Nash's feathers. The owl half closed his eyes in enjoyment and turned his head in the direction of the woman, so that she could better reach the spot he liked best. She was not sure if she should climb on the shoulder of one of the big people, or if she should remain perched on Nash and follow them like that. But she already felt as though she had ignored the owl too much the last couple of days, she had not been able to take him with her when they went to the dwarves. She decided to stay seated on him for now, so that he would not start to feel ignored and consequently peevish, as he tended to do.
Logged

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »

Capher stared at the Brownie. Did he hear that correctly? Did Roosjie, that was his or is it a her, name speak almost fluent Tharain? Was he still dreaming?

He stomped his right foot into its boot and felt the pressure as the boot held back, then gave in, and his foot fell snugly into place. Well that confirmed that. He was not dreaming. But how in Seyella's name does a Brownie, a Birchbark one at that, come to know and speak Tharian as if he/she has done it all their life?

That made Capher curious as well as a bit suspicious, but the news that the rest of the whole group was finally going to be together again overode his suspicions for now. He turned his head and looked at Teri who was also now awake and staring at Roosjie as well.

Finally Roosjie asked if there was anything that they needed.  Capher stood up, scratched his belly and heard it rumble. "Food and drink, if you would not mind," He said and then added, "I apologize, but I am not sure as to what...um...sex you are? With you diminutive size and clothing it is hard to discern. Also I am more than curious about how well you speak our language. Perhaps as we eat together you can tell me a bit about yourself and if you have any questions of me I will try and gladly answer them, if I can," he added.

Capher tugged on his beard and looked around for his pack. He found it lying next to the far wall. He walked over to it, opened it, took out a sheathed knife and walked out of the cabin but not before turning to Teri, "I will be back shortly. Somehow I grew a beard and I need to shave before the others arrive.  He then turned and walked out into the sunshine.

The sun was warm upon his face as he made his way down to the river. His mind was whirling with fragments of thoughts that jumped into it and out of it as fast as lightning struck the ground during a rainstorm. Some of the thoughts bothered him, others he just dismissed, but there was one nagging thought that came back again and again...Why did he grow a beard, and one that was this long and pure white? What did it mean?

He reached the river, knelt down by the bank and watched a small school of fry scatter at his appearance and then slowly come swimming back. He took the knife out and swished it in the river and then taking the tip of his beard he put the knife to it and began to cut. But the beard would not be cut off. Capher looked at the blade of the knife and tested it against his thumb. It immediately and cleanly cut off a layer of skin. It was not the blade, that was for sure, Capher thought.

He tried again and again the same result: the beard refused to be cut.

Capher knelt at the rivers bank staring across the river and then he stared into the river, seeing a moving reflection of himself as the river flowed on by.  The beard reached down to the top of his navel and was almost a brilliant white, like the white of new fallen snow.  His skin on his hands and arms seemed to have aged tremendously; as they showed wrinkles and age spots that he did not have before; Even his face showed wrinkles. The only thing that seemed strong about him was the fierce determination in his eyes.  Suddenly, it struck him...He was growing old! He was actually becoming as old in human years as he was in draconian years!  If the age process continued at the pace it was going, he would be several thousand years old.

He stood up and felt a twinge of pain in his back. His hand automatically reaching behind and rubbing the sore spot. He turned and almost lost his balance.  He saw a stout oak sapling growing out of the ground near the bank and cut it down and used it as a cane. However as soon as he touched the sapling, the sapling turned as white as his beard and even seemed to glow; but just for a moment. Capher shrugged it off as a trick of the light, but in the deepest recess of his mind, he was not sure.  There were many strange and unusual things happening to him and he had no answer as to why.

He took the sapling in his hand, and began the trek back to the hut. He looked up into the sky and whispered two silent prayers: one was to Seyella for guidance and the other was to his Master, hoping and wishing that he could talk to him. Only Ethan could perhaps tell him what was happening to him and why?

Each step he took, the sapling changed even more; arcane symbols of magic long ago lost in time and myth seared itself on the sapling that was also hardening as well. Capher knew most of the symbols, however some he did not recognize.

Finally as he reached the top of the hill and saw the hut in which he was headed too, the cane was now complete, along with a dragons head as its top. The dragons head had stones in its eyes that matched the same color as his own; one gold jeweled and the other a Sapphire, both jewels the size of a large rock. The horns of the dragon protruded out of the sides giving Capher a perfect place to place his hand to walk with it with optimum efficiency, as he walked much slower now, feeling every ache and pain.

He thought about heading for Ximax by himself. For something told him that that accursed stone that he had to find and stand in front of, according to the seer's rhyme, would supposedly cure him. Could all of what is happening be the cause of him losing his powers?  That was a startling thought and one that made sense, all except the cane. The cane was something else...he just knew it.

But how will his companions react to his new appearance? Now that Talia and Terra were cured, Teri was commit ed to going on; hoping to run into Morgana, and also to help her new found friends. Ta'las, the boy shendar growing into a man, right before their eyes. How will they all see him? As a feeble old man, or as the Capher they once knew?

He sighed. Only one way to find out.

He straightened himself up as much as his arthritic back would allow, and slowly walked the few peds down the path to the hut, took a deep breath, let it out slowly and then stooping even lower, walked in.
Logged
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 1002

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian


« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:29 AM »

She hadn't seen him leave, but she most definitely sees him enter, and for a moment isn't sure who this ancient man with some kind of magical staff has entered this building. It's more in his eyes and the halo of white hair around his head that strikes recognition, and slowly, a little painfully she stands and approaches him.

"Capher?" Hardly recognizing him, the name is placed as a question, though she holds a hand out to try and steady him - yet at the same time, hardly daring to touch him, as if he might fall apart at the slightest pressure.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »

Capher heard the uncertainity in Teri's voice and when she reached out to touch him, as if to steady him, he almost felt sorry himself. However there was work to be done and he had half expected to see the others as well, but they had not yet arrived. Capher was not sure if his voice was going to be as weak as his body felt but he cleared his throat.

He chuckled. "It is I, Teri," he answered, glad to hear that his voice came out strong, yet there was a slight waspiness in it.  He held up his hand. "Before you start asking questions I cannot answer I can tell you that though I look old and I feel it more than I have ever had in my life, I am well and healthy. I am not sure what has happened nor why, but Seyella has her reasons for everything. It may be that I need to get to Ximax faster than we thought we had, or it could be something else. The one thing I do is that this cane I now carry and use has a purpose, besides holding me up," he chuckled again before continuing, "Some of these archaic symbols I know and understand, some I do not, but the ones I do know carry magic that has not been seen since the War of the Chosen. If we are to defeat Eckra and his minions this magic will serve us all well."

He made his way to the bench. "I need to sit down, these bones are a bit weary," he said as he sat slowly sat down. He looked around and did not see the fox nor Roosjie and assumed they were going for food. He patted a place on the bench near him. "Why do you not sit down here. You can touch me and see that I am who I say I am and at the same time I need to ask you a question."

Capher watched and waited.
Logged
Roosje Greenfields
White Messenger
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2008, 04:42:23 AM »

Roosje laughed a tinkling laugh at all the questions posed by the Storyteller. They shouldn't call him Storyteller, they should call him Questioner! It was funny though, he looked a lot different than how she had pictured him before she met him. It just went to show that stories were not always to be believed. At least, none of the stories said anything about a long, flowing white beard! With a florid bow from on top of her fox, she answered the first question. "I am of the female persuasion, good sir. The food should be on its way, but I will go and make sure that it actually gets here. As for the rest of your questions, I will answer those when I get back."

Turning the fox, Roosje left the hut to go see what was keeping the brownies who were supposed to bring the food. As it turned out, they had just finished loading the food and drink on a large tray - larger by far than any the brownies normally used, and designed specifically for human visitors - and that they were now rounding up some help to carry it to the hut. Roosje immediately jumped off Inuya and put her shoulder under the plate. When enough brownies were helping to carry the tray, the load was not too heavy, but they still were a lot slower to get back to the hut than they normally would be. To a human eye, it must seem quite a sight, the tray seemingly going on by itself, with all those small heads next  to it. They were followed by some animals, though not (as one might think) to snatch away an easy meal, but rather following their brownie masters, who would have need of them when the tray was delivered.

Back at the hut they brought the tray inside. Most of the brownies immediately streamed outside again and were gone within a flash, but Roosje stayed around, remembering the questions that the Storyteller had asked. Climbing back on Inuya, she sat down on the animal's back, and with a simple command she let the fox jump up on the bench where Capher and Teri were already sitting. There the fox lay down, with the Brownie still on her back. Roosje waited patiently for the conversation between the two humans to be over.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

As Capher waited for Teri's reply Roosje's fox came back in followed by a tray full of food carried by many brownies, including Roosje herself.  They put the tray down and all of the brownies, except Roosjie left the hut.  Roosjie jumped back upon her fox, which then jumped on the bench where Capher and Teri sat.

Capher glanced over at Roosje and was still struck by her appearance. She had very striking eyes, not that they were black orbs against almost snow white skin, but that they were inquisitive and showed much intelligence; as if she should be one of the wise one's instead of just an ordinary Brownie.

She had told him that she was a female before he had left to go down to the river and the unusual transformation had begun. She looked at them, and at him, as if nothing had happened...which made Capher curious and suspicious once again.

His stomache growled and without even thinking reached over and made himself a sandwich of cheese and meats and ate it. He washed it all down with a large cup of ale.

He turned back to Teri hoping for some response from her, but she seemed to be lost in her thoughts, so he turned his attention back to roosje and was going to ask her a question but instead a large belch came out of his mouth.

"Excuse me!" He exclaimed, a bit embarrassed. "I guess I should not have eaten and drank so fast. I was a bit hungry."  He did not know if he was just speaking to Teri or Roosje or both of them. It just made sense to apologize no matter who had heard him.

"Thank you Roosje for the food. i look forward to seeing our companions once again." He settled himself a bit more. "So, where were we? Ah yes, I seem to recall I was curious as to how you know Tharian so well? You speak it better than some I know. I think I also recall that I had asked you to tell me something about yourself,"

He paused as he took a few more pieces of meat and cheese and poured himself another cup of ale. He then continued, "I also think I told you that if you had any questions for me that if I could answer them I would gladly do so. However you first," He added as he munched on the meat and cheese sandwich.
Logged
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 1002

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian


« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2008, 03:40:47 AM »

"Alright," she manages, sitting a little slower than one might normally do so, holding Capher's arm gently. Courtesy of a pretty little brownie on an equally pretty fox, food arrives, and the two big people help themselves, Capher freely, Aueniteri more reserved, every once in a while looking up to Capher. She hides a smile when he belches and attempts to recover with an immediate apology. Then, he begins asking questions of the brownie, Roosje, and 'Teri looks away again, lost somewhere in the past and the future.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2008, 12:13:17 AM »

As Capher waited for Roosje to answer his question Teri seemed to have come out of her thoughts and answered his previous question to her with one word, "Alright" She still seemed to be either a bit wary of him or cautious; as if she squeezed his arm too hard it would break.  That was what Capher was afraid of.  "Teri, I needed to know whether you saw me as a frail old man or the Capher you are used to seeing? However I can already tell by the way you are looking at me and trying to hold me. Do not let appearances deceive you. I may look old, and I have a bit more aches and pains than I am used to, but I am still the same Capher. You have to believe that! All of you have to beleive that or else we may well lose this war!"

Capher had not spoken with this much emotion in a long time. It was imperative that Teri and the rest see him as he was inside, not outside.

Capher began thinking about that paradox and wondered if there was some sort of significance to it? Was there a meaning behind this? A meaning more than just the obvious? Capher set a part of his mind on the problem as he waited for Roosje or Teri to speak, and wondering when their friends would arrive and what they would think as well.
Logged
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 1002

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian


« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2008, 05:30:10 AM »

She smiles a little, not trying to downplay the significance of what he said, but something about it seems a little desperate. "Capher, I'm certain you will are still able to do whatever has to be done. I trust your strength - I only tried to help you when I saw you falter. I don't know how to take what I see, only as I see it. I do know you need to go to Ximax, where they can help you, and the sooner the better. If... this is related to that, or something different entirely, it doesn't matter."

Her expression is a slightly inquisitive one, and the smile has faded to earnestness, not certain if that was what he needed to hear - of if it was even what she meant to say.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »

Capher listened, smiled back at Teri and then gave her a hug, whispering in her ear, "Thank you for being honest and for trying to help me when you thought I needed it. I will never let you down as long as there is life in my body."

He released her. Perhaps knowing that maybe he overstepped his bounds by touching her when she did not ask for nor need it.

"I suppose you are correct. It may be that Ximax and that stone will help me. Or I truly suspect that some of this is for a different reason; my beard for example. I have not grown a beard that I could not shave, nor grown so fast since the time of the..."

Suddenly he stopped speaking. He looked at Roosje and at Teri and wondered if he had spoken too much.  He quickly made another cheese and meat sandwich and ate a mouthful. "Sorry, suddenly I became very hungry again," He lied, but he was concerned he may have said too much. Who would believe him anyway? But Eckra had spies everywhere and this new Brownie may be such a one. Only time will tell...
Logged
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 3892


Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras


« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2008, 01:28:11 AM »

Talia is listening to Tulpje, who answers her that it is time to go back to the hut and the others, when she hears a call from beneath:


"Shendar-sister, are you ready to put your feet on the ground, as a desert-warrior is meant to do, or will you remain on your perch all day?"

Oh, Ta'las was here to pick her up. So now the calm time had finally found its end, there was no way to slip back into her dreams. She looks down and sees Ta'las, accompanied by Terra. And looks twice at the pair. There has something happened between them. It is not obvious, though they are standing close to each other, but as an experienced woman, Talia  feels more than observes a difference in their relation. Instead of giving an answer which would match Ta'las teasing question, she smiles and says quite softly:

"Oh Shendar brother, what do you know? The desert aguia is a warrior as well and perches in trees - if he is not soaring the sky. There might be more connections between the sands and the skies than we know. But I will come down!"

She brushes away the memories of strong wings carrying a child high in the air and turns resolutely to the presence.

"Tulpje, thank you for waking me up me before this loud big man down there has arrived, I might have fallen of my branch otherwise," she says with a twinkle in her eyes. "Thank you and bye for now! You are fortunate, you have your owl, I wished I could ride on a bird as well!"

And then Talia climbs down to get "earthburned" again. Somehow she understands now the Shendar  neighbours in the Sharadon better, the elves who  try to never touch the ground in their lives.

She is happy to see Terra again, her companion in the healing process. Wrapping her arms around both, Terra and Ta'las, and pulling them in her embrace she asks:
"How are you both? Terra, how was the time on the tree? Was it good for you? And what did you do against boredom, Shendar-brother?"

She gives them not really time to answer. Releasing her grip which might have been a bit uncomfortable she beams at them, looks first to Ta'las, then to Terra.

"Terra, you are so much more beautiful than before the healing, I did not think that this would be possible, but you are looking so.... "

And with a little sigh and her smile still as broad as her mouth allows she throws her arms around Terra and hugs her tightly. "I'm so glad" she whispers into her red hair.
Logged
Roosje Greenfields
White Messenger
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2008, 02:26:47 AM »

Roosje had to grin about the way the storyteller was juggling his attention between herself and the woman. She decided to be nice and let him talk to her first before she answered his questions. She occupied herself with scratching Inuya behind the ears, keeping the fox happy. She didn't pay attention to Capher's words, pretty sure that they were talking about things she had no knowledge about. It was only the way he suddenly stopped talking and started eating instead that made her glance up at him. But if he said he was hungry, he must be. What reason would there be for him to lie about that?

Shrugging it off as unimportant anyway, she said (hoping that the storyteller would hear her): "To answer your earlier questions, I know Tharian because I've pretty much been learning it since childhood. I liked the language, so I took the trouble of keeping in practice. And then later in life I joined the Ferretmaster clan and I got myself a nice little fox," she patted Inuya, "so I combined those two into my job, meaning that I'm a messenger. Inuya can bring me around a lot faster than a Babbler on a cart can go, so that's why. It means I'm usually a couple of months outside the Vale on missions, but I enjoy meeting Big People so that's not really a problem. That's about all there is to tell about me, I guess. If you want to know about my colour, I know it's rare but I seem to have had a great-grandmother who was white as well, so I guess I got it from her."
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2008, 03:22:30 AM »

Capher listened to Roosje, trying to detect any semblance of half-truths, but found none. The Birchbark Brownie is exactly who she said she was: that relieved his mind. He smiled at her as he brushed his beard absent-mindedly and suddenly his face twisted in surprise as he noticed that not a single crumb had stuck, or entangled itself in it, as did most beards this long usually did in humans, but he had to remind himself, he was not human and his beard was not usual.

Finally he turned his attention back to Roosje. "May I ask the name of your fox? He is a cute little fellow," Capher said as he reached out to scratch the animal. The animal gave a small bark and Capher took back his hand.

He continued on as if nothing had happened. "So you're a messenger. Would not flying, like Tulpje, be faster than even a fox? Oh, I assume you know Tulpje Sweetshade. She was our helper but she did not speak Tharian as well as you do. I am assuming that your elders have decided to change our helpers just for that cause alone, besides your familiarity with the territory outside of the Vale."

He suddenly paused, his eyes half closed, as if he was in some sort of trance. He murmured something..."Lady Terra, afraid of heights...Lady Talia, relectant to come down...Ta'las and Lady Terra...relationship! No! Heart with Morcaanan! All is lost!"

Then as suddenly as he had gone into that trance he came out and continued speaking with Roosje. "How long do you think it will be before our companions join us and how long do you plan on staying with us? He asked, reaching out for his cup of ale.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:23:56 AM by Capher » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]
Members
Total Members: 2835
Latest: Olivesda
Stats
Total Posts: 214556
Total Topics: 8049
Online Today: 86
Online Ever: 216
(November 30, 2006, 09:08:03 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines
TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Theme based on Cerberus with Risen adjustments by Bloc and Krelia
Modified By Artimidor for The Santharian Dream
gfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx