* 
Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?


*
gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize


Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator



Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Respite in the Vale  (Read 39235 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »

There is a dwarf standing in the hallway, guarding the passage that leads to the series of doors in which the group is resting.  A two-handed warhammer rests over his left shoulder, and he wears a hauberk of heavy chain mail.  "I have not seen the Storyteller yet this morning," he replies as he shakes his head.  "He asked to see the Gornegron after everyone turned in, and did not return until late."

"He hasn't left his room since returning though," he adds, pointing to the portal across the hallway from the room Morcaanan and 'Teri occupy.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2008, 04:07:08 AM »

Capher heard voices outside of the chamber. He looked at Ken, who was slowly awakening. Capher reached down and picked up Tulpje who was still a bit drowsy and placed her on his shoulder. He checked his pack, picked it up slung it over his other shoulder and walked out of the chamber.

His gray hair was mussed and he needed a shave. His robe, though, for some reason seemed to look like it was brand new and the designs on it almost seemed to glow.  "Did I hear someone mention my name?" He asked.
Logged
Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 155


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2008, 04:19:48 AM »

Tulpje had slept wonderfully. She couldn't remember her dream, but then she rarely could. She liked to think that it was about her new companions, who - she realised - she hadn't even known for a whole day yet. No matter, they had taken a place in her heart already. She woke up when a large hand took her up, and was just awake enough to cling to the shoulder that she was set on. Good thing she hadn't had any stuff here that could be left behind, she didn't have to worry about that.

When she'd shaken the last sleep out of her eyes - and out of her brain - she realised that it was Capher's shoulder that she was sitting on. She settled herself and then asked, knowing that he would hear her small voice (she was, after all, sitting quite close to his ear) "Morning! We going where?"
Logged

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »

Capher saw Morcaanan standing next to a dwarven guard and assumed it was he who had asked the question and was awaiting his reply to his own question, when he heard a small voice in his ear.

 "Morning! We going where?"

It startled him, but for only a moment as he recognized her small melodic voice and realized it was Tulpje; the small, yet very adventerous Brownie, who had come along to help them. Capher's brow furrowed as he tried to think of how she could help them and then suddenly it came to him, she was to hlep them with the dwarves...he thought, but how? His memory coming and going like this bothered him and he was impatient to get going.

"Morning to you too, Tulpje," he spoke softly. "We go eat, then home," he answered.

Teri came out of the chamber a bit shy and not dressed as usual, but a bit more casual. Capher assumed, as he looked her over, that it was to help with the wound she suffered and that the usual tight clothes she usually wore would hinder the healing and probably hurt more. So they were all there except Ken, who he knew should be walking out soon, for he had seen the little fellow begin to wake and Capher kept his ears open to hear Ken's talking once he was fully awake.
Logged
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 149

Hobbit


« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2008, 02:31:31 AM »

"...like a broken twig."

Ken has no idea what the relevance of a broken twig is to anything, but it doesn't matter; whatever he was mumbling about in his sleep quickly fades as he begins another day of talking, standing and stretching his arms and legs before checking his equipment - which has remained on him all the while he was sleeping.

"Sword, hat, clothes, bags, this bag, this bag, this bag; one, two, three, four; one, two, three, four, five fingers; hair, yup, alright. This-a arch, this-a- oh, good morning, Morcaanan. It is morning, right? You and 'Teri stay up last night? It's been so busy since I caught up with you guys! At least we get our sleep, right? Funny thinking this thingy-what's-it probably doesn't sleep at all; has somebody going day and night. I don't mind, though; we'll figure it out, right? Hey, where's- oh, hi Capher! Didn't see you. Guess I'm still waking up. Hey, Tulpje; you seem a little confused; come to talk with the dwarves? That's alright, though. Not much for a good conversation, them. I know, I tried. They just did a lot of staring; then again, I'm getting used to it. I don't think I'm used to them getting mad, though. Oh, hey, there's 'Teri. In a dress. That's weird. Aren't we riding today? So, what's for breakfast? I mean, we are going to eat before we head out, right? I just thought it would be the good idea. I don't mean to sound sluggish, I'm just hungry. I get that way sometimes; not a lot, though, because there's usually plants around to eat. Edible plants are easy to find, once you get to know them; but I guess it's easy to tame animals, as well, if you could just get to know them. Getting to know what you're doing, I guess, is probably the most important part of actually doing something. You can do something by accident, maybe even more than once, but eventually you have to start figuring out how it works, or you'll never get anything done. It's a pretty sad state, not getting anything done; like how the sewer monster in Milkengrad moved the..."
Logged
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »

As the group congregates, they are joined by Brenna.  "Good morning travellers."  And then, with a short bow, she turns to Capher.  "Greetings again, Storyteller.  The Gornegron has prepared a quick meal and some provisions for your journey.  When you are ready, I will take you to the main hall, and from there we will travel to the Vale."

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:19:25 PM by Talas Anthavin » Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »

As everyone gathered outside the bedchamber Capher was assured that Ken was awake as he began talking right away, at least some of it made sense to Capher until he started talking about a monster in Milkengrad's sewers.  Capher supposed that to a halfling a Ratbrownie could be considered a monster as they were vicious creatures but he never knew of them actually swimming in the sewer; of course he could be wrong.

Suddenly another dwarf joins them. It was Brenna. The warrior dwarfess whom Harrek had told him last night would come and lead them to the Vale. She greeted all cordially, but made a special greeting to Capher, giving him a slight bow. Capher could feel the others eyes on him and he felt that feeling of blood rushing to his face. He bowed back to her and said in her own language, "Good morning to you as well Brenna Stronetracer of the Stonetracer family whose great-great grandfather Kobol Stonetracer would be proud of."

His eyes twinkled with a bit of mischief in them as he wanted to watch the expression on her face.
Logged
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »

Brenna does her best not look shocked, but dwarf's eyes give away her surprise that Capher knows of her grandfather, and she even blushes a little.  At once, she understands the deference her companion gave to the man, as well all the others around her.  "Th- thankyou, Storyteller," is all she manages to say.

Then to everyone.  "Please, follow me."  With one last look at Capher, Brenna turns and leads them to the main hall.
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

Capher closely followed Brenna. "Your welcome Brenna, and I meant every word." He said casually walking beside her.

He glanced back just once to see if the others were following. Suddenly he felt eating and then he wished to be on their way.
Logged
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 1002

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian


« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »

She vaguely hears Ken muttering as she steps into the room; at first, all she sees is Jeharaid Morcaanan, and without hesitation or even a second thought, she steps quickly up to him, takes his hands, mostly to avoid an embrace, and gives him a quick peck on the lips, then leaning her head on his chest.

They stand this way for a short time, until slowly she realizes that something is going on; a dwarf has come, and they need to be moving. Gingerly, she leans down to pick up her pack, and still holding Jeharaid's right hand in her left, turns to follow Capher and the dwarf out into the hallway, content to be standing beside Jeharaid.
Logged

Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »

Once the group reaches the main hall, the group is met once again by only the Gornegron and the Denirim.  A meal has been prepared, and there is even a provisioned pack - one for each member of the group, except Tulpje - containing trail rations, water, a blanket, torches and flint.  Brenna quietly mentions to Capher that he will find additional supplies in his pack for Tulpje, but apologises that the dwarves do not have a pack small enough for her.

The room is warm and more well-lit than yesterday, and filled with the activity of dwarves going about their various tasks.  The Gornegron welcomes the group with a nod.  "You must finish quickly, for your journey northward will take many days.  I apologise for rushing you, but we felt it best that you not delay given the importance of your task."

"Once you are finished here, we will first travel by different passages than the ones that brought you here.  Your mounts have been brought to a different holding area, which Brenna will lead you to before you travel to the Vale."  Harrek looks at each member in turn, silently hoping they will succeed in their quest.  Then, he motions to one of the tables where a number of seats are open.  "Please guests, sit and eat."
Logged

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »

Capher nods his approval at the packs of provisions provided by the dwarves for them all; even the mention by Brenna that there were extra provisions in his pack for Tulpje, brought a smile to his face.

The table and food prepared for them was sumptous and Capher took Harrek's advice and ate quickly; though not so fast as to get a stomache ache. He wanted to get moving and get back to the rest of the group and evaluate Lady Talia and Lady Terra and see how their healing went; as well as how Ta'las was doing and how he would handle a more grown up Lady Terra.  The thought of her twin blades called the "Chastities" strapped to her inner thighs almost made him laugh out loud as he thought of how quickly Ta'las would learn she was not the "love stricken" teenager anymore, but a Sophronian Warrioress.

When Haarek mentioned their mounts Capher slapped his forehead; Lady Talia's and Ta'las's mounts were still in the small vale by the entrance to the cave of the Brownies. How were they going to get those two rather large desert animals over the mountain and into the Vale. He could not imagine Lady Talia nor Ta'las wanting to leave without their bondmates.

As he was thinking of this problem he noticed a weary dwarf enter, speak to Harrek, who nodded and then came to his table.

He sat down. "Storyteller, I am afraid I have some bad news," Harrek whispered.

Capher slowly put his goblet of water down fearing the worse. "What is it, Harrek?"

Harrek talked to one of the scouts who quickly spoke back. Harrek turned to Capher frowning, "My scouts found several horses and two strange animals they had never seen before wandering around and they also saw a trail of blood leading to the river. My men assumed the animals belonged to your group and brought them here, however they are much too large to enter the caverns and we have them secured in a pen just outside.

Capher thought of the man who had been willing to watch their mounts and feared for him. "You say they saw a trail of blood? Did they find a body?" Capher asked.

Harrek spoke to the scout who talked back quickly. Harrek turned back to Capher, "No, they did not find a body. I could have my scouts look for one. Was this person a friend of yours?" Harrek asked.

Capher thought about it and then shook his head no. "No Harrek, not at this time. Your scouts have already ventured farther than they would normally do. I fear we may have put your clan in more danger than I wanted."

"From what you told me last night Storyteller it is time my scouts and my people begin to prepare. Danger is not something I wish upon my people, but neither do we fear it. I will wait until Brenna has you deep in the mountains heading for the Vale before I send my scouts to find out what happened to your friend. I will send word to you one way or another," Harrek said.

"We have a problem though the bridge to the Vale is partly destroyed. You can take us through the mountain to the Vale, but our mounts have to stay here, and though we could come back through the mountain to here to gather our mounts, the Brownies will be left without a bridge to the outside world," Capher said, rubbing his hand through the thin thatch of grey balding hair upon his head.

Harrek thought a moment and then a smile split his face. "It may not be as lost as you think, Storyteller. I have heard of a clan of Brownies who work with stone, perhaps your little friend who has been sitting on your shoulder and listening could persuade this clan to fix the bridge.  The journey through the mountain to the Vale and back again should take two days at the very least."

Capher put his hand close to Tulpje so that she could climb upon it. "Tulpje, when we get to the Vale could you ask this clan to fix the bridge?" He asked her in her own tongue.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:05:47 AM by Capher » Logged
Tulpje Sweetshade
Grey Bomber (Brownie)
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 155


Brownie, Llaoihrr


« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2008, 03:45:56 AM »

Tulpje frowned a little bit as she tried to follow what was being said. Their bridge... broken? That was not good at all... Many of the brownies stayed inside the vale, but they relied on trade with the humans, and for that they needed the bridge. And one of the clans that worked with stone? Surely he must have heard that wrong. However, when Capher asked her, after she'd climbed onto his hand, if the clan could 'fix' it, she knew which clan he was talking about, and her face cleared up.

"Is Hamm'rer clan, yes? They wood work, no stone. They many, and vale many wood has... Uhm... many tree? I them ask, yes. They quickly work, when have to." She nodded. Yes, the clan would take care of it. They depended on the trade as much as the others, and it was often their work that was traded to the humans, who paid much for the fine work that the brownies could give. And perhaps some of the Skydiver clan could help, by overseeing the construction from their mount. And the Maj, the redbark brownies endowed with a natural affinity for Lifemagic, could help by making the wood grow into eachother, so that the bridge would be as solid as a stone one. Yes, this was a work for more than one clan. She smiled at Capher. "I take care it, but then we back to vale soon, yes? I need talk clan leaders."
Logged

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

Tulpje Sweetshade
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 4944


Dragon


« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »

Capher listened to Tulpje as she answered his question in Tharian. He had to listen carefully as her Tharian was not that good. When she finished speaking Capher smiled at her.

"Tulpje, I understand and speak Brown'in you did not have to struggle so hard to answer my question, unless you were trying to let the other's know and hear you, but the only one who could hear you would be Harrek here, but I thank you just the same. Perhaps you were speaking Tharian just for the exercise? Anyway to answer your question, yes, we will be in the Vale very soon. A day at the most and then we will be there."

Capher turned to his friends. "I hope you are finished eating, for it is time to go. Our friends are waiting in the Vale and our enemies certanily are not waiting around for us."

Capher picked up his pack, slung it over on the opposite shoulder where Tulpje sat and looked at Brenna. "Lead on," he said.
Logged
Talas Anthavin
Uderzan Wanderer
Story Mod
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 610


Human, Shendar, Shen-Kha'si


« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »

Brenna nods and looks to the Gornegron.  "I will return the group safely to the Vale, milord," she says in Thergerim'taal.  Harrek nods and pats her on the shoulder.  "Go with Trum-Baroll's blessings."

Then to Capher.  "Good luck to you.  To all of you," he adds looking at each member of the group in turn.

Then, Brenna leads the group away into one of the many smaller tunnels; this one alone is the only direct entrance to the Vale, and it is neither well-known, nor well-travelled.  Torches set in iron sconces are the only means of light once they leave the main dwarven hall.  Here, the air is humid, droplets of water fall from the ceiling forming small pools in depressions in the floor.  Very quickly, the group can see they are in passages that have been naturally formed, rather than hewn by the careful hands of the dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:18:05 AM by Talas Anthavin » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]
Members
Total Members: 2842
Latest: Jillvalen
Stats
Total Posts: 214556
Total Topics: 8050
Online Today: 22
Online Ever: 216
(November 30, 2006, 09:08:03 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines
TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Theme based on Cerberus with Risen adjustments by Bloc and Krelia
Modified By Artimidor for The Santharian Dream
gfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx