Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

- THE CD FORUM POSTICON SYSTEM -

Below is a summary on the posticons used for the character description approval process. The posticon of the first post should always be edited according to the current state of completion of the character description (either by the player, a Moderator or an Administrator).
1) PLAYER - CD is incomplete. Use this posticon if you have not finished your CD.  4) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by one moderator. A second mod's approval is needed.
 2) PLAYER - CD is completed. Use this if you have finished working on your CD.  5) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by two moderators. An Administrator should soon take care of the titling.
 3) MODERATOR - An expert's opinion is needed. The specific field in which the expert's help is needed should be added to the title.  6) ADMINISTRATOR - An administrator has titled the character, and the thread will soon be moved to the CD Archives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: (under revision) Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai) / Kaýrrhem / Mage  (Read 11346 times)
Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Mini-mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

I've cut the majority of melee out of the strengths, per discussions on IRC. I have left in her physical strength as she is a dark elf, and I've left in a 'if she's caught in melee' paragraph in the fighting styles to describe how she would act in such a situation, but in terms of general ability she is no better than a stronger and more hardlined peasant (IE, she's better than the average peasant, but ranks about equal to a stronger peasant who and has been in enough fights to not lose his cool and be able to think rationally. So that'd be under the town militia in ability, but above a cowardly farmer boy who's never been in a fight in his life).

I hope that is acceptable now. I honestly cannot go any lower than that based on her race, age, and background, and I don't know what else I can do if it is still considered too much. Like I have said before, if that's still believed to be unbalanced, then I can and will add more weaknesses. But I can't lower it any further.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:13:11 AM by Drustai » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:19 PM »

I think you balance out better now. You still list the mace and kris as weapons, but those are merely for swinging blindly at people with no special training in their use I suppose.

Other than that, I would say the CD looks balanced. I commend you for not using any kind of physical weakness as I agree that not every mage needs to be physically handicapped in some way. A strong, agile mage is nice to see.

A small thing about your zealotry - I would list this as a strength as well as a weakness. I think being zealous about something is good to have and perhaps gives you an "edge" in a fight as you know and believe you are fighting for a worthy cause, at least to you. For example, my own dark elf has a powerful faith in Coor and is quite zealous in the belief of darkness and murder. Of course, assassinating people is also listed as a weakness as she has no honor in the law of the common man and only follows what she believes Coor to tell her. So the entire faith/zealous/murder philosophy became a strength and weakness.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:42 AM »

Just a quick reminder, many things can be listed solely as a strength or a weakness. Many strengths have limitations such as: "An archer might be a fabulous shot while on foot. But is absolutely horrible from horseback with the exact same weapon. Is this a weakness? No it is more a limitation of a strength. It is still a strength but less so overall as there are times it is inhibited." Hope that makes some sense and Keeps you rolling Drustai.
~Sincerely~
Cáo fá cár'tuulén:Twen Araerwen

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Mini-mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »

I think you balance out better now. You still list the mace and kris as weapons, but those are merely for swinging blindly at people with no special training in their use I suppose.

'Swinging blindly' would be a wrong way to put it... she is familiar with the weapons and of combat in general. As said, she isn't as weak as the common peasant that has never been in a fight in his life and flops around in the dark, she just has no special training and her previous skills have waned. In other words, she's very rusty, so makes stupid mistakes and is not familiar with it as she was a century before, but she is not new to combat.

A small thing about your zealotry - I would list this as a strength as well as a weakness. I think being zealous about something is good to have and perhaps gives you an "edge" in a fight as you know and believe you are fighting for a worthy cause, at least to you. For example, my own dark elf has a powerful faith in Coor and is quite zealous in the belief of darkness and murder. Of course, assassinating people is also listed as a weakness as she has no honor in the law of the common man and only follows what she believes Coor to tell her. So the entire faith/zealous/murder philosophy became a strength and weakness.

I edited it in the weakness to note that it *can* help, but the reason it's a weakness is because this zealotry isn't just against those who really deserve it. If someone killed her friend, she'd kill their friend, even if their friend has done nothing wrong, just to prove the point.

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »

Thank you for explaining that, Drustai.  Thumb up Makes sense. I like this CD and can't wait to see her in a story. Looks good to me! I believe an approval is not far now.  :D

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Pikel Thunderstone
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »

Looks fine to me now. Just be careful how you play her weaknesses :) I trust you'll play it balanced though :)
Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »

~Second Approval~ Rearchived for you darlin.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:38:44 AM by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:24 AM »

Brought up for some more luv. Have fun darlin'!

Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Mini-mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 09:05:56 AM »

Thanks. :)
Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »

Helped and done
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:28:37 AM by Gararion » Logged

Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Mini-mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »

Bringing this up for updates.

Changed tribe as I didn't feel the dark elf backstory was working. The character as she is supposed to be really needs to fall, to have something to lose, rather than coming already from a dark background. Therefore, all of the earlier history has been completely redone and expanded.

Appearance and Personality sections have also been modified, though not as much. Strengths and Weaknesses have undergone changes, as has the Magic and equipment sections. Magic changes mostly because the original Magic section as it was approved I later found out to be incorrect despite Mina's approval by Word of God (Arti), so I had to come up with new ideas for the same abilities.

... hell, pretty much everything has been updated. So I guess I'll be needing two approvals instead of one.

Notable things to mention: I've tried to come up with a reason to keep a sort of dark-elvish appearance. I'm not sure if it works. I'm going under the assumption that elves who essentially fall from the positive side evolve into dark elves, which is backed up by how all the dark elf tribes appeared (all splintered off from normal wood elf tribes and changed appearances even though they might not live in any more 'dark' of an area than their fore bearers), I'm just not sure if such changes can happen over the course of a single lifetime (seems likely to me though, for an elf, considering how spiritual and linked to nature they are, how their features 'reflect nature', so if one is darker, it seems to me they would their reflection would be darker).

Spell scrolls: Scrolls do exist, as written on site, and I've used them in my CD. I'm not sure if they count as an enchanted item or not, though.

I bumped her back up to level 7, halfway in-between her original level and the level I made her last time I updated. I've expanded on weaknesses, but they're all mental weaknesses so I'm not sure how much they count.

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian/ Rhulran

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »

I kind of doubt the idea of an elf entirely changing the hue of his/her skin, but this is Santharia, and you have an interesting perspective. So, as a result, I don't really see any problem with that feature.

Just my two Sans.

The statement below this is false.
The statement above this is true.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »

Also, from another peremptory glance, I can see some pretty thick blocks of text in her appearance, personality, and background. But also, i think it's fantastic the way you organized her history; Very cohesive, useful for quick reference to certain parts of her character, and time-lines are always nice.

In your S&W's, it would help a lot if you explained the practical benefits or problems with each. You explain them intimately, but don't give a clear picture of what they do to her, or give them a specific magnitude. Edit: But that mainly applies to her mental weaknesses, so I hope I didn't confuse you, because most of her strengths are okay, at least.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:15:30 AM by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Mini-mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:31 AM »

I kind of doubt the idea of an elf entirely changing the hue of his/her skin, but this is Santharia, and you have an interesting perspective. So, as a result, I don't really see any problem with that feature.

Just my two Sans.

I get the idea mainly from the way LotR elves seem to be. At least in the movies (no idea if it's the same in the books), Arwen physically changes after resolving to stay behind. Her skin does go cold, and she loses her immortality (I believe she physically becomes human in both the movies and the books). Tolkien elves also physically age as a result of stress, rather than as part of a life cycle.

In Santharia, our elves always have light on their faces as a result of reflecting nature, and their deaths are a spiritiual event where they rapidly begin to age only after they consign themselves to death. There is also a very clear image of how the Ifer'hem tribe physically changed after they began devoting themselves to the element of fire. So there is evidence of physical changing, it just isn't clear if this change can happen within a single individual over the course of one lifetime. Elves reflect their soul, and the harmony of nature, in their outer appearances, due to their half spiritual nature, which is why I chose to go with that idea.

Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:34:01 AM by Drustai » Logged
Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »

I'm sorry if I worded it wrong. I meant that I doubted such a thing could happen in a single generation. Great CD you've got there.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]