Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Harbour  (Read 25883 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:10 AM »

With some trepidation, Jami took the strangers hand in a gesture of friendship.  He looked at the bird on the man's shoulder.  Strange, these southerners.

"My name is Jami.  I'll be taking you to General Graviaro.  He's the man in charge of the entire Remusian army.  He makes all the decisions, so he can tell you whether or not he will hire you."

The harbour guard looked at his men, pointing out three men to follow him.  To the rest, "Make sure no one come off the ship until I return."

He then turned and began walking along the road, the big man with him, and the three other guards following.  Curiosity overcoming his normal shy self, Jami gave a lengthy sidelong glance to the stranger.  "Where are you from, Malach Oronne?  And why would anyone wish to fight for money?  I don't understand this."

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Malach Oronne
Mercenary of the Red Reed
Approved Character

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »

"Where are you from, Malach Oronne?  And why would anyone wish to fight for money?  I don't understand this."

Ah, there goes the chance for silence on the way back...  Malach sighed and gave Livanii a piece of her favorite treats while he began to speak.

Well in answer to your first question, I'm from Nybelmar, way, far away from here.  The rest of the crew, I couldn't tell ya.  They're from all over.  Now, to why we all fight.  For me, I s'pose ye could call it tradition.  I'll not go into my family's history just yet, but my whole family been fighting in wars that were not technically our own for years and years.  

Take me and my father, for instance.  My father didn't like fighting much, but often had to because of money.  We were both miners back home in Nybelmar, but there's just...
 Malach trailed off for a moment, trying to convey the real reasons for fighting.  

See, it ain't for the gold, the glory, or the joy of battle, and I tell ye, I've had good shares of all.  I'll not deny that mercenary work is pretty much my only serious source of income, but it's something- different he concluded lamely.  

Jus' an urge, deep down inside of me, makin' me go for it and fight.  Ha ha, I find this very difficult to explain.  I've heard the others of the crew talk about this.  Some said they just need the gold, some are clearly greedy.  I never cared much for them.  Some say because they like to help those in need.  I don't know.  I guess I'm a mix between it all.  

He looked at the man just in front of him, and knew he didn't understand.  Ha, and I've never been fond of Orcs he added with a chuckle.  I should not have been picked for this he thought.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:21:22 AM by Malach Oronne » Logged

What's the point of living without a cause worth dying for?
Malach's CD

To new characters making CD's:
~General CD creation tips~
Unsure of a few points?  Try these helpful FAQ's!
Please pay heed to these Restrictions!
~CD Etiquette Info~
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

After seeing that the dwarf was settled, Eric stepped back onto the upper deck to see if the others had arrived.

"Aye, I'm righ' 'ere," he said as he approached the man he had spoken to earlier.  The gigantic boy was here, too.

Eric quickly scanned the deck, and nodded in appreciation.

"'tiz good ye left them wenches ashore; there ain't nothin' worse than a woman on board a ship!

"I think it might be best if ye joinz yer friend in me cabin; don't wan' no accidentz."  Eric was looking up at Garret as he said this; the boy's size would no doubt make him get in the way once the ship was sailing.

Then, addressing the crew, he ordered them to shade the lights, which made the Runner fade into the darkness.

"I 'ope them orcz can't see in the dark!

"Right ladz, get ready ter set sail!  Tek 'er out on the jib!  Nice 'n eazy, like!"

As the crew started to work, Eric gestured for the two men to follow him into his cabin.

"This way, ladz, the dwarf's already 'ere.  Mind yer 'eadz!"

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Denrykmar Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2009, 09:07:27 AM »

Denrykmar was at the same time relieved and unnerved by the site of the man from the inn come up from below deck and greet them.  The man, if he seemed strange and out of place at the Wison, seemed eminently more at home aboard his ship.  It was obvious this Bjarni fellow was far more comfortable on the waves than on solid ground.  Denrykmar grinned somewhat to himself; that was a good thing that this man looked so comfortable.  Travelling along the coast at night was going to be dangerous.  Getting out of the harbour without being hit by the trebuchet was going to be hard enough.

"Shouldn't we be on deck?  That trebuchet is going to try and stop us from getting free.  Any extra eyes are going to be needed, no?  I don't expect this to be a pleasurable trip."

A shiver went through him.  Was it the cold of the evening, or was it the thought of going out by ship?  In truth, this was only the second time in his life that Denrykmar had left the safety of the shoreline.  He understood why people would go out on a ship; the need for fishing, or the yearning for exploration, but the sea could mean death very easily in the Bay of Calinth.  How many fishermen had lost their lives by falling into the water?  It took only a few moments before the bone chilling cold of these dark waters to kill a man.

No, he much preferred the safety of land, even if it meant facing orcs.

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

Eric turned back to the two men and rubbed his beard thoughtfully.

"Well, if ye wantz ter stay on deck, I don' see why not.  But be careful yer don't fall o'erboard!"

He then opened the door to his cabin, and poked his head inside.

"Yer matez are on deck," he called to the dwarf.  "If yer wantz, 'ee can join us."

Once he'd finished speaking, Eric walked back onto the main deck, and stood next to his two newest passengers.  The Runner was slowly making her way out of the harbour, and the captain peered into the darkness anxiously.  These were new waters for him, and the threat of the trebuchet only made things worse.

"Seriously, though," he said to the older of the two.  "Doez 'ee re'kon they can see us?"

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Approved Character

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2009, 06:21:17 AM »

Morden looked around the cabin for several minutes, impatiently awaiting the arrival of the other members of this mission. He was eager to start, and even more eager to get this task out of the way. There was something bothering him about the whole thing, something not quite right. That something could very likely be the fact that he was no longer on solid ground, but still, there was that slight unease that comes with the feeling of being unprepared. The orcs seemed to have too many advantages in this fight, too many surprises on their side. And that was a feeling that sickened Morden, because when you give an orc a nailsbreadth advantage, he'll be sure to turn into a stral.

Morden absently looked over some of the sea charts that were in the cabin. He was trying to keep his mind off of sour thoughts, and since his mind was full of those thoughts, he was seeking some kind of mindless activity to engage himself in. Staring at some parchment which he had no means to decipher with thoroughly glazed eyes seemed fairy mindless, so here he was trying it. This proved to be immensely boring, and not quite as helpful as he thought. It was then that he heard the captain's voice ring out again, "Yer matez are on deck...If yer wantz, 'ee can join us." Well, there was no point in sulking in here with his own thoughts for company. He needed to stick close to the men he had promised to help.

Against his better judgement, Morden strode back onto the deck. The boat was now moving slowly off into the harbor, sending the deck into a very unsettling rocking motion. To a sailor, this would be nothing; but to Morden, his feelings of unease were now tenfold what they had been moments ago. This would take more than a bit of pluck for him, but he wasn't going to act like a cowardly fool in front of all these men. Not after he had been the one who volunteered his help to them. And especially not when the lives of the dwarves he had been sent to find were likely at stake. So he joined the small group of men containing the captain and the two scouts. "Doez 'ee re'kon they can see us?"

Even though the question was not intended for him, it gave Morden a moment's pause as he gazed up at the cliffs for which they were heading. How good would these orc's eyes be? That would be a pivotal point in this mission's success, and it was one that Morden was concerned about. This was a rather open way of approaching that cliff, albeit the only way. Maybe that was what was bothering the dwarf, the knowledge that unfriendly eyes could be piercing into his location right now with a stare of hatred. They would get the same in return, if he came face to face with those eyes. Morden turned to the two men beside, "If they can see us, they'd already be able to, methinks. But, I think we might need ta ban all talking pretty soon, afore they be able ta hear us, too."

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »

A loud, sinister splash off the starboard bow answered Morden before anyone else could.  It sounded very much like a large stone entering the water at a great velocity.

“We’re too late for that, mate!”  Eric shouted in dismay.  “’elmsman, there!  ‘ard ter starboard; raise the mainsail!”

It was time to get moving; obviously the orcs were trying to sink them.

“With a bit o’ luck we should be alrigh’,” he said with a smile.  “It’s ‘ard enough ter ‘it a movin’ target in the day, let alone at night!”

The Runner was now on a starboard tack, and her speed had picked up dramatically.  “Best ter keeps zig-zaggin’,” Eric thought to himself as he looked up into the impenetrable darkness.

“Pepare ter gybe!” he shouted, giving the instruction to execute a gybe.  Soon, the helmsman replied with a loud, “Bearin’ away!”

Eric turned to the two men and the dwarf.

“’av a care, ladz!” he said simply.

The boat herself was now turning back to larboard.

“Gybe-‘oooo!” the helmsman bawled, and the boom swept murderously across the deck.

“We’ll keep on a broad-reach,” Eric said to his passengers.  “But zig-zag, like, ter mek it ‘ard for ‘em; the filthy swine!”

Another splashing noise came in response to his insult.

“They’ve overshot, agen!”  Eric cried with joy.  “If we can jus’ mek it out o’ this ‘arbour, we’ll be fine!”

The harbour exit was getting closer, and Eric prayed to Baveras that they’d make it out onto the open sea before long.  Until they did, though, the threat of the invisible trebuchet weighed heavily on his mind.  Gazing up into the darkness once again, he hoped that the adage “third time lucky” didn’t apply to orcs as well as humans!

Eric's CD
Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2009, 02:48:02 AM »

Denrykmar had moved to the rail of the ship, alternating between looking up into the darkness of the high cliffs to try and spot the trebuchet or the next missile hurtling at them, and looking toward the safety of the shoreline, wishing to any god he thought might be listening that he was once more feet planted in the snow.  Every loud splash of a projectile from above had him ducking defensively.

"Doesn't this ship go any faster?" he called out to no one in particular.  He closed his eyes and tried to control his breathing.

In a short time, his lips began to move slightly as he prayed to himself.  "Asendin; may your waters stay calm.  May you look upon me as a faithful servant, and grant me safe passage across your surface.  Help me complete this mission I am on to protect my people."

He opened his eyes to see Garret not to far away, looking at him with a quizzical expression.  Denrykmar smiled back a bit sheepishly. "I know, I know.  You've never heard me pray before."

Garret inclined his head.  "I've always taken you for a believer in Kor'och."  In truth, he didn't understand the whole Remusian belief system at all; only that Kor'och was the only god to some of the people, while many others had a belief in a whole slew of gods.  It was confusing.

Denrykmar grinned.  "Out here in Asendin's realm, I thought it best to say a few words to him."  Another splash made him duck once more.  He turned to Garret.  "But, I'll be praying to Kor'och next!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:51:14 AM by Denrykmar Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2009, 10:33:56 PM »

The harbour’s exit was tantalisingly close now, but Eric was still in a state of severe tension.  The orcs hadn’t fired a third shot at them, and every moment dragged like an eternity.

“Wish they’d jus’ ‘urry up ‘n fire!”  Eric whispered to himself.

The icy wind of the open sea whipped around the deck, and Eric knew that they were almost out of the harbour and the orcs’ killing zone.

Another gybe swung the boat around, keeping it on a zig zag course, but the orcs had got wise to it!

Suddenly, a loud cracking noise leapt out of the silent darkness; the Runner had been hit!  There was confusion at first, with different voices shouting at once, but soon enough Eric knew what had happened.  The orcs’ missile had almost overshot again, but this time it had managed to smash the fore rail on the starboard side of the boat.  Fortunately, nobody had been standing there when it hit, and the deck itself was still intact.

“Seemz we got away with it,” Eric said to the men gathered around him.  “A bro’en rail won’ do us too much ‘arm.  Let’z jus’ ‘ope that’z the wors’ thing that ‘appenz ternight!”

A few of the men voiced their agreement, and somebody let out a cheer.  The Runner was free of the harbour, and the awful sense of dread had lifted.

“Now then,” Eric said to Denrykmar, “I’ll get ye as close ter yon cliffs as I can, but yer’ll ‘ave ter tek a row boat over to ‘em; ‘tiz too dan’erous fer the Runner ter get too close, like.”

Eric's CD
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Approved Character

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

The only answer Morden got was the splashing sound of the trebuchet in full operation. He quickly turned to look up at the cliff, again cursing the orcs. Those vermin never missed a step; good eyesight and earing made them an abominable nuisance at nighttime. Morden intensely wished he could be up on the top of that cliff, throwing orcs as far off it as his strength would allow. The ship began to sway as the captain and his crew worked hurriedly to evade any further missiles. The sudden lurching was making Morden disoriented, and he looked around for something he could lean on to steady himself. He had not taken more than a step when the ship's boom came flying at him. Morden dove to the deck to avoid being swept into the harbor. Curse the orcs, curse the harbor, and cursed this blasted piece of floating rot! He thought to himself, as he slowly raised himself, ship still lurching, and made his way to the cabin door.

Fortunately he made it there by the time the second and third missiles were launched, the latter taking out a section of railing and shaking the ship a bit. Morden leaned up against the side of the cabin for dear life. While this wasn't the way he really wanted anyone to see him, dwarves can't swim. No need to take chances to save personal pride. His head reeled a bit from the shock of this very foreign environment he was in, and his stump starting aching. He massaged the heavily scarred tissue as he tried to relax a bit and think of what would be required of him coming ahead. That would take his mind off of the large rocks that had been sent flying towards him. He had to remain focus and complete this mission, if he was to have a chance at saving his dwarves.

Let’z jus’ ‘ope that’z the wors’ thing that ‘appenz ternight!” Morden heard this comment with a mixture of feelings. While he was relieved that they were out of their initial danger, he was not at all pleased with the performance of this boat so far. While he was still alive, the being tossed around was too unsettling to let it slide. He turned to the captain, shouting at him, "Well, that'd better be the worst ting that 'appens ta me! What's the big idea in rolling me poor bones all 'cross the deck, eh? Can't ya manage ta outthink an orc without trying ta send me in the 'arbor?!?"

Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »

Behind the barrels, Nyxthia was not doing well. Though she was safe from any sort of detection from the crew, she was not safe from the sea. The railings were just that – railings. She could fall off any moment, and though she clung onto the ropes holding the barrels in place, her position was still relatively precarious.

As the missiles launched, Nyxthia gave a small gasp of fear and clung on for dear life. The ship gave a jerk and swung sideways in an effort to dodge the incoming boulders. Each turn made the girl's heart skip a beat. Holding on could only do her that much good; being so close to the edge made her position that much more dangerous. Any one of the incoming boulders could smash into the barrels. If the impact didn't kill her, falling into the freezing sea certainly would.

The crack made Nyxie look around in alarm, the lass swearing mentally. Was the ship hit? Would she drown? It would be a very ironic way to die, considering that she was a desert girl, born and bred. “A bro’en rail won’ do us too much ‘arm,” she heard the captain cry out. The girl let out a breath that she didn't know that she was holding. Death was not so close, but the end of the harbour certainly was.

The cheer that came up boosted her morale quite a bit. Using the ropes to pull herself up, the girl stood where she was for a moment, letting the relief wash over her. Though, deep down, she knew that it would be the last time that she was going to feel safe in a long while. A roar from Morden caught her attention, the dwarf yelling at the captain's steering. The girl peeked out from the barrel's side, looking at the scene. The poor dwarf looked completely shaken, yet his fury was clear.

Maybe it was relief, or maybe it was just the unfairness of it all, but Nyxthia felt a small spark of irritation that bloomed into a flare of anger. The captain tried his best, didn't he? Who was the dwarf to speak of the captain like that? Running on adrenaline now, the lass stepped out from her hiding place swiftly.

“The captain got us out of the harbour, did he not? At least we're alive! Can't you show some gratitude?” Her sharp tone carried quite clearly across the deck. Crossing her arms, the girl stared defiantly at the rest of the group, daring them to say anything in the dwarf's defence.

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »

Prayers to Kor'och followed, as Denrykmar had promised Garret they would.  He peered up along the cliff, into the darkness, trying to see where the next giant rock would come from.  The ship then lurched to one side, nearly sending Ryk to the deck, had he not been grabbed by Garret.  The large man was not so easily tossed about.  The dwarf, however, was another matter and he was picking himself up off the deck, and not looking too happy about it, either.

The lurch of the ship did have its advantage though, as a rock hot the ship, breaking away a part of the rail.  Luckily, it appeared no one was injured.  That, and the ship leaving the harbour behind, had Denrykmar thankful.  It had seemed to take forever, but they were safe now.

Denrykmar listened to the captain speak to everyone and agreed with him.  If a broken rail was the worst thing to happen to them, then they had been truly blessed.

"Sure thing, Captain.  You get us close to the cliffs, and we'll row over there."

One who didn't agree with the captain, however, was the dwarf.  Denrykmar had to suppress a smile, as he cast knowing looks to Garret who seemed to share his mirth. 

Suddenly, a female voice rang out across the deck and a girl stepped out from a hiding place behind some barrels on deck.  Denrykmar took a step closer toward her, squinting so he could make out who it was.  Suddenly, Ryk's head snapped around so he could stare at Garret, who had also recognized the girl, and was staring back at Denrykmar with a look of helplessness.  Denrykmar lifted his hands defensively.  "She's your girlfriend.  You handle this."

"Thanks."  Garret growled, stepping closer to the girl.  "What are you doing here?  Are you crazy?"

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »

Eric was amused, and then confused, in a very short space of time.  First of all the dwarf had made him smile with his fiery words, and then a new arrival had knocked him speechless.  Well, speechless for a few blinks, anyway!

"By Grothar!" he spluttered.  "Wat be ye doin' on boar' me ship?  Don' 'ee know women ain't allowed?"

"Unless they ain't got no top on!"  One of the nearby crewmen added.

"Aye," Eric said, "Unless they ain't got no top on!  But in weather like this yer'd freeze ter death!"

He looked the young girl up and down and tugged at his beard as he thought what to do next.

"Well, we can't send ye back ashore now, can we?  So there'z only one thing for it.

"Greenfield!  Get o'er 'ere, lad!"

A young sailor came scurrying across to Eric.

"Aye, cap'n, what is it?"

"Tell me, mate; what can break a curse?"

Greenfield rubbed his chin and stared blankly at the captain.

"Errr...

"...Ow!!!"

Greenfield's head snapped backwards as Eric's fist smashed into his nose.  The unfortunate sailor staggered backwards, his hands clapped to his face.  The rest of the crew were laughing, and Eric beamed a grin at them.

"Blood, lad!  That'z wha' breakz a curse!  'n pref'bly not mine!"

Greenfield's nose was pouring with blood, but in the darkness it was difficult to see.

"Now clean yerself up 'n get back ter work!"  Eric ordered, before turning back to the girl.

"Thanks fer the kind wordz earlier, miss, but if yer don' mind tellin', I'd very much like ter know what yer be doin' 'ere?"

Eric's CD
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2009, 03:23:42 AM »

Garret looked... mad. Nyx faltered a little when she saw his face – it was a mixture of concern and frustration. Thankfully, the captain seemed amused by everything, especially when he laughed off the “curse”. His jovial manner put Nyx's heart at ease, and when he turned to her, she wasn't as tense as before.

“Sorry for the intrusion, Captain,” she began. “Well, I heard that this ship was going out of the harbour, and outside the walls. I'm a mapmaker, Cap'n, and I wanted to get to know the land better, to draw my maps, see. And I apologise for sneaking on, but it was the only way for me to even get on a ship. I know sailors don't like ladies like me on ships,” she smiled. And plus, how else could I follow Garret?

Nyxthia glanced at Garret. He didn't seem very happy – who would be? Nyxthia drew her thick cloak closer to herself. She could feel something coming, from either Garret or the Captain, and the warmth that the cloak gave felt comforting.

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »

Denrykmar stopped paying attention to Garret and the girl.  He had other interests.  Worrying about what that crazy girl was doing on this ship had nothing to do with him.  That was all Garret's problem.  He could deal with it.

Once leaving the harbour, it wasn't very far they would need to go in order to reach the cliffs.  "Captain?"  He pointed into the dark.  "I think just over there is where we need to go."

He worked his way to the bow of the ship, against the port side railing.  The dark was giving little in way of hints as to their exact location.  Truth was, he had never seen the coast from this perspective before.  In the dark, it was even harder to get his bearings.  The cold was even more bitter out here.  The salt air seemed to tear through his coat, soak his gloves.  It was painful.

He watched the darkness; waiting.  Suddenly, it appeared as though the darkness was moving, coming closer.  He closed his eyes, squeezing them tight, then opened them again.  The darkness was still moving, but it slowly began to take shape.  It revealed itself to be the craggy face of the cliffs below the orc encampment.  The sudden appearance of the daunting cliff face brought a wave of doubt to wash over him.  What had he been thinking.  This was utter madness.

He looked to the dwarf.  "I hope you are as good as you led us to believe." 

He then glanced to his friend.  "Garret!  You need to see this."  When Garret trotted up to where Ryk stood, Denrykmar looked at the expression on his friends face.  It echoed his own sentiments.  "I have a bad feeling about this."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]