Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Harbour  (Read 25894 times)
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »

“A mapma’er?”  Eric said with a smile.  “Well, I’ve bin ma’ing maps since az long az I can remem’er; may’e I can ‘elp 'ee learn a bit abou’ nau’ical chartz la’er?”

It was obvious that the young lady hadn’t really come aboard a strange vessel in the freezing cold to try and draw a map in the dark of night!  There was an ulterior motive, and it didn’t take long for Eric to work it out; the looks she was giving the tall lad next to him made it all too clear.

A call from Denrykmar gave Eric a good excuse to leave the two lovebirds alone for a moment.  He followed the other man to the bow, and peered into the darkness with him.

“Well, I’m glad it’z ye ‘n not me that’z goin’ up there!” he said when he saw the gigantic cliff rear up beside them.  Then he let out a low whistle and shook his head.

“We can get ‘ee a bit closer, but then yer’ll ‘av ter row o’er.  Once we’re close enough, we’ll weigh ank’or and wait fer ye az long as we can.  We’ll wait 'till day break if we mus’!

Eric paused, swinging his gaze from the terrible cliffs and onto Denrykmar's face.

“Now, az fer the price o’ ternigh’s voyage, I thought we should clear it up afore ye leavez; ‘cause there ain’t no guaranteez yer’ll be back; if ‘ee don’ mind me bein’ so blunt.

"I rec’on ‘alf now, and ‘alf on yer safe return ter the ‘arbour; I can’t be fairer than that!  What does ‘ee say?”

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Denrykmar Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »

Denrykmar listened to the captain, and a smirk creased his lips.  Money again, of course.  He sifted through his pockets and handed over a few coins.  "There is a small start."  He then reached under the collar of his tunic, pulling out an necklace which he removed and handed it over to the captain.  It was a simple lether cord suspending a small leather pouch.  "If I get killed, find my brother, Altario.  He'll see to it you get paid."  As if to put to rest any doubts the captain might have, Denrykmar nodded toward the pendant.  "That is my Nechya's Rope," he explained, "Given me by my mother.  If I return, I will pay dearly to have it returned.  If not, then my brother would pay for it.  It," he chuckled, "it is a Remusian thing.  You would not understand.  Just know that losing this would be... unfortunate."

With the expenses out of the way, he returned his attention back to the cliffs.  "Get as close as you dare.  Standing on this boat is bad enough, without having to climb into a smaller one."

He looked around the deck.  "Master Dwarf, I hope you plan on rowing over the the base of the cliffs with us.  Some of your words of wisdom will no doubt come in handy."

His attention then diverted to Garret.  "Hey, Garret!  Hurry up there.  We got work to do."

The tall, lanky man looked over his shoulder at Ryk and frowned.  He the turned back to Nyx.  "You and I will need to talk about this more when I get back.  Until then, stay out of trouble."  He turned and started towards Ryk and the captain.  "If that's possible," he muttered under his breath.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:12:37 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »

Eric gratefully took the pendant that Denrykmar offered to him.  It didn’t look like much, but the pirate got the feeling that he was being told the truth.

“Aye,” he said once he’d stashed it away into one of his pockets, “I don’ un’erstan’ much o’ yer wayz up ‘ere; but I’ll take ye at yer word.”

With the promise of payment made, Eric felt in a much more helpful mood.  He turned and bellowed some orders, directing the Runner as close to the cliffs as was possible in the less than ideal conditions.

Although it was hard to make out much in the pervasive gloom, the unmistakeable sound of waves crashing against rocks told the crew that they were close; possibly too close.

“Righ’, I can’t get much closer than this,” Eric said to the small group of foolhardy men.  “Ye’ll be takin’ the skiff from ‘ere; come on, it’s this way.”

Eric led the men to a small row boat.  It was suspended over the side of the Runner, and already contained four men.  Eric and his crew were well used to making night time trips ashore in it for various nefarious reasons, but to an inexperienced eye, it probably looked very similar to a watery coffin.

“These ladz’ll be rowin’ ye o’er,” Eric explained.  “They’z got an oil lamp so tha’ ye can find ‘em agen when yer’s a-comin’ down.

“So, if yer’z ready, jump aboard!”

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »

Denrykmar paused.  The more he stared at the small rowboat as it bobbed up and down in the waves below the ship, the more he had doubts.  What was he doing?  This was crazy!  Man was not supposed to brave the waters.  That was fish domain.  He glanced over to Garret, as if to draw strength from his taciturn friend.  Nothing ever seemed to bother Garret too much.  Ryk's eyes locked with Garret's for a moment, until Garret gave a slight nod of encouragement.  It was so slight, no one else would have seen it except for Ryk, but it was enough to fortify the young Remusian and send him over the side.

Hand over hand, with tentative steps feeling for each new rung of the rope ladder hung over the side of the ship, Denrykmar lowered himself down to the waiting rowboat.  If he had thought the ship had bobbed up and down, thought it too unstable to be safe, all of that was dismissed the minute he let go of the rope ladder and tried to stand in the small rowboat.  He tried to step lightly toward the rear of the boat, and was nearly sent overboard when a wave hit the side of the boat.  Only the quick hands of the men in the boat prevented him from feeling the icy embrace of the Bay of Calinth.

Trembling, and not from the cold, Denrykmar found a seat in the boat and sat still.  If he lived to be a hundred years old, he would never, ever, ride in another small boat again.  He noticed down at his feet were two coils of rope.  He could tell they were very long by the thickness of the coil.  They must have been supplied by the captain of the ship, for surely they were not Remusian.  For the sails on the ship, he imagined.

He looked up and saw Garret climbing down the ladder, seemingly having no difficulty at all.  It all seemed so much more natural to the tall man.  For a moment, Ryk was envious of his friend.

But, that moment lasted for only a heartbeat...

Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:17 AM »

Nyxthia stared in aghast at the two men. By going to shore, right into the heart of the orcs, they were pretty much giving themselves to the orcs! They might as well wrap themselves up in silk and hop in there with ribbons tied in a pretty bow, Nyxthia thought furiously. If, and heaven forbid, they were discovered, they'd have their necks snapped before they could scream. The girl had heard nasty stories of orcs, and it was a likely outcome. In fact, it'd be pretty much the most merciful death for them. Nyx could think up of worse fates for the two.

"No, wait," she started to say. However, Ryk was already down the flimsy rope ladder the Captain, with Garret close behind. Gah. The girl strode to the railings and looked down into the sea. The waters were churning, the waves lapping at the boat's side menacingly. The sparkling waters of the daytime was long gone; instead, the black surface of the once blue ocean seemed to suck in every glimmer of light around the rowboat. Altogether? Not someplace that she'd like to be.

Nyxthia gave a sigh as she swung herself down onto the rowboat, her movements quick. Sure, she was cold. Yeah, her heart was pounding in her throat at the thought of what could happen. And she definitely didn't want to die. But even after all of that, there was no way she was not going along with the two. "I'm coming too," she announced to the boat, as she turned around to the crewsmen.

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »

Denrykmar, watching Garret reach the rowboat, saw the head of Nyx poke over the railing.  In an instant, he could see what was coming.  Of course, sitting at the rear of the rowboat, white knuckles gripping the sides, he was in no position to stop her.  Instead, he glared at Garret as the big man took his seat, but Garret could not meet his gaze.  No doubt. 

Well, gee, why didn't he just ask Valerie to come along?  Sure, why not?  And the dwarf?  Surely he had a wife or girlfriend he could have brought along.  Beautiful night like tonight, it was perfect for a nighttime boating trip!  Frustrated, Ryk kicked out a booted foot at Garret's shin.  "Dumb ass!"

He could see Garret's expression of What could I do?, and it only served to irritate him further.  He leaned in toward Garret and whispered grumpily. "Look, I know I pushed you to bed the wench, but I didn't expect you to go dumb on me!  Do you see Val here?  Or Trina?"  He waved his hand about the boat.  "No!  Know why?"  He took a finger and poked it against the side of his temple.  "Cuz I'm not an idiot!  I sent off Val with the cleric so she'd be safe.  Right now she's in the temple, warm, dry, and comfortable.  Not in some floating coffin in the middle of the sea, waiting to drown!  Not like the rest of us!"

Ryk forced himself to stand up and shouted in hushed tones at the girl who was the source of the contention.  "You make sure you sit there and keep quiet!  Last thing we need is some girl to take care of while we are on an important-  ack!"  Ryk's voice rose several octaves in tone.

The boat was cast off the ship, and lurched with the first pull of the oars from the crew.  Denrykmar was sent crashing to the floor of the rowboat where he grabbed onto Garret's leg with a death grip.  He could hear the hearty laugh of the crew, as they made their way toward the base of the cliff.  Meanwhile, Ryk found it almost impossible to move or able to release his hold on his best friend.  "I just screamed like a girl, didn't I?" he asked, looking up to Garret, who wore a smug expression.

Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Mini-mod

Human, Kyranian

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:09 PM »

After Ryk when down the ladder with an encouraging smile from Garret, the larger man turned to follow. He waited until his companion was comfortably settled in the boat before stepping over the railing of the boat and placing the first booted foot on the wooden planks of the rope ladder. Feeling rather than looking, he stepped down a few more steps on the ladder, looking straight ahead, though he didn’t really ‘see’ the large mithral wolf until it was standing at the railing, nudging the side of Garret’s face with its nose.

Garret was fairly shocked that he’d almost forgotten about Shadowfoot. Almost, because some part of his mind was screaming ‘wolves don’t climb cliffs’, though he had been too preoccupied with the self appointed task to pay attention to the yelling of common sense. That part of him always seemed to be getting in the way.

Looping one around the railing of the ship, he reached through the bars and ruffled the wolf’s fur, an easy smile on his lips. Shadowfoot continually nipped at his human’s hand until he got ahold of a bit of cloth from Garret’s cloak that had fluttered close due to the wind. Gripping the cloak firmly, he pulled back towards the ship, seemingly attempting to pull his ‘stupid’ human back onto the boat.

“I’ll be back,” Garret said softly, smiling at the wolf before pulling loose the bit of cloth the creature had got a hold of.

As he continued down the ladder and settled into the boat, the great silvery wolf padded over to a spot beside a coil of rope, his back to the wall of the rear cabin.

Having been too busy carefully settling his bulk in the small boat to avoid rocking it anymore then nessicary (which gain him murderous glares from Ryk), Garret hadn’t seen Nyx climb down the ladder after him. However, when she confidently declared that she was coming with them, Garret’s gaze snapped up from the water lapping at the edge of the small boat, to where she stood.

He was about to demand that she get back on the boat, about to tell her to stay with Shadowfoot, when Ryk kicked him in the shin. It stopped him from speaking and caused him to realize that there was nothing he could do, short of tossing her back on the boat himself. He just turned to Ryk, his features a mixture of anger and helplessness.

His emotions switched more towards anger or frustration as Ryk ‘yelled’ at him in a whisper. He was about to stay something. It’s wasn’t his fault she’d snuck aboard the ship, apparently the remusian hadn’t seen her either until she had revealed herself. Besides, how was he supposed to control a stubborn individual? Ryk started speaking again before he could make a reply to the previous comments by his friend, or make it clean to Nyx that she’d be staying in the dang rowboat if he could do anything about it.

"You make sure you sit there and keep quiet!  Last thing we need is some girl to take care of while we are on an important-  ack!"

The boat surged forward, sending a panicked Ryk falling from his seat. The young scout was now clinging desperately to Garret’s leg as if clinging onto life. The men in the rowboat around them laughed and he looked down, desperately attempting to conceal a grin and hold back his laughter.

"I just screamed like a girl, didn't I?" Ryk asked.

Garret didn’t have to say a word. He just allowed the huge grin to break through as he reached down and attempted to pry Ryk’s hands away from his leg and lift his friend back up onto the bench next to him. For the time being, the concerns of their current endeavor were pushed to the back. The voice he faintly recognized as his, in his head asked questions (such as: how are we getting up those cliffs, what will we find, how am I going to keep Nyx from following, and more), were unheard for the moment as he grinned down at his friend.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him. Remember what it is to be alive.
Quote: Robin Hobb
Nyxthia Calfuray
Inquisitive Regenade
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2009, 03:40:31 AM »

A slight smile twitched at the edge of Nyx's cheeks as the indignant Remusian reprimanded her. Not that she minded; scoldings slid off her as easily as water over a duck's back. Even as she sat down, the man's chidings cut short with a completely unmanly yelp, her mind was already on other things. Like what exactly was going to happen later? The cliff loomed overhead, its dark shape unmistakable against the velvet night.

Though, as the boat lurched forwards, dipping and rising with the waves, a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach distracted her from her thoughts. Every pull of the oars that brought the rowboat closer to their destination made her supper want to come up, something that wasn't exactly the best thing to happen now. Plus the thought of puking in front of so man people... well, her pride would hate her for life. Discreetly, Nyx pressed a hand to her tummy, willing her food to stay down where it belonged. Her face was scrunched up in concentration, her mind inwardly cursing the waves. It was a nice, calm night! And she was perfectly fine on the ship, why now of all times?

The girl pursed her lips, trying to keep her cool, and the bile down. Her eyes flicked around, needing something to distract her from her nausea. She knew that the heavens would be peppered with stars, and normally, she'd jump at the chance to map out constellations. Yet, any sudden movement on her part seemed foolhardy, and when the next wave came, she didn't want to be looking up. So Nyx settled on gazing intently on the gash in the wood bench across her. At least that didn't have the nasty habit of shifting. Much unlike the watery landscape.

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2010, 12:54:56 AM »

How did he get here?  What in the frozen abyss did he do to deserve this?  His breathing was heavy, his arms ached and burned, and his fingers were frozen.  Pausing, he looked down.  Mistake.  Suddenly, a wave of dizziness swept over him.  It took all of his will to not let go of the rope.

Denrykmar was suspended on a rock face nearly a hundred fores above the surf and rocks.  The small rowboat that had brought him and Garret here was waiting a few peds away from the cliff.  They had taken last minute instructions from the dwarf, gathered up lengths of rope, hammers and spikes and began to climb.  Every few feet, they had to pound a stake into the cliff face, then tie their rope to it before continuing.

Garret had started the climb in the lead position, which was the harder position, having no rope to aid you, while Ryk followed.  About halfway up, on a small ledge, they switched positions.  Now Ryk was leading, finding the path that they would take.  Fore by fore they pulled themselves up.  More than once a rock would break loose, or a foothold would slip, and they would cling perilously to the cliff face.

Once the dizziness passed, Ryk pulled himself up to the next ledge.  Only a few fores to go.  Muscles straining, he climbed.  Finally, he crested over the cliff face and rolled himself onto the flat snow ground.  Catching his breath, he rolled to the edge and reached down, taking Garret's outstretched hand.  With great effort, he helped pull the tall man upward toward safety.  Together they rested for a moment, before Ryk pounded in another spike at the top.

As he fumbled with the knot of rope around his waist, he grinned at Garret.  "Well, we made it.  Tell the truth, I didn't think we were going to.  More than once I thought we were done for.  Gods!  I can barely untie this knot.  My fingers are numb!"

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »

Now that Garret and Denrykmar had reached the top of the cliff, it was arguable that only now had the hard part come upon them.  There were no trees or bushes to hide them, only a few large boulders, and a few drifts of snow.  Hiding here was not going to be easy.  Worse, orcs had better vision at night.  The only thing that gave Denrykmar a glimmer of satisfaction was that the sun would soon be rising in the east.  The predawn light would diminish the orc night vision somewhat, yet still give them the cover of not being in full daylight.  He hoped.

Together, he and Garret moved slowly forward, taking a few steps, then pausing, crouching low to the ground.  The Remusian's bright blue eyes surveyed the Frozen Wastes.  In the distance, he could see the walls of Remusiat, including the great Western Gate.  In front of that, he could make out the orc encampment, and could make out the shadows of moving orcs.    Closer to where he and Garret crouched, was the large snow mound that they had seen from the western wall.

Without speaking, using only hand gestures, Denrykmar told Garret that they needed to circle around the mound.  They stole forward, their footfalls nearly silent, both of them having had much experience sneaking through the snow as scouts.  Slowly they advanced, while changing the direction to which they observed the mound.  As the rear of the mound came into view, they could see where the orcs had cleared the ground in order to build up the large snow mound.

Another thing Ryk noticed was that there was a growing mound of soil, which was hidden from the view of the people in the city.  Working their way forward, they could see that there was also a large hole in the ground.  They were digging a tunnel!  The orcs were planning on going under the wall.  But how?  Where did they get that knowledge?

There was movement in the mouth of the tunnel, causing Denrykmar to duck.  Tentatively, he poked his head up again.  In the mouth of the tunnel, 6 short figures were dumping fresh soil onto the pile of dirt.  It was hard to make out, but after a few moments, Ryk could see that these short figures were dwarves.  

"Morden's lost people!"  He looked over to Garret.  "We found Morden's people!"  As they watched, a large orc stepped toward the dwarves and began yelling at them in orcish, and threatening them with a club.  The dwarves, heads down and dejected, turned around and moved back down into the tunnel.

"We need to get back."  This was very important information that Orsah-Shialt Graviaro needed to know.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:51:37 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Wandering Ranger
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

With Garret following behind, Denrykmar started the way back toward the cliff side, and safety beyond.  Being out here, exposed, did not make Ryk feel comfortable.  There would be no place to hide if they were spotted.  Nowhere to run.  A quick glance behind confirmed that Garret was close to him and feeling the same anxiety.

They pressed on, making it halfway between the orc tunnel and the cliff, crouching low as they moved, careful not to make any noise.  Denrykmar then felt a tugging on the back of his coat.  he stopped and turned to see Garret holding a finger over his lips.  Ryk stopped instantly.  Garret had heard something.

Ryk watched the other man, intrigued.  Garret had cocked his head to the side, closed his eyes and began sniffing, which confused Denrykmar. 

Garret's eyes opened, suddenly, and he stared at the Remusian.  "Wargs!" he whispered.

If there was anything that Denrykmar could trust implicitly about his friend was that Garret knew dogs and wolves, and wargs definitely fell into that category somewhere.  Ryk followed Garret's gaze, and true enough, some orc riders were approaching.  They weren't travelling fast yet, so it appeared the two scouts had yet to be spotted, but it wouldn't be long before their tracks were discovered.  The riders were going to cross their path shortly.  A slight change in the breeze blew a strong smell into Ryk's nose; the smell of warg.  How Garret managed to smell it before was amazing.

What could they do now?  If they tried to make a break for it, they were going to be in trouble.  It would be a race to the cliff.  Could they get there in time?  A sudden baying of the lead warg made the decision for them.  They had no choice now.  It was either run or die.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]