Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Western Gate  (Read 16429 times)
Calder Knightson
Thorn of the Gods
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 02:08:20 AM »

"Dragguer, what are your orders?" he yelled out over the shouting voices.

Calder turned to see the man had reached the top of the wall as well. He turned to look for an officer for a moment before realizing that the man was speaking to him. Blast it, but he wasn't supposed to be giving orders. Hell if he knew the city or what he was up against. Only shadows could be seen out on the endless darkness. Before he could answer the captain was on the wall, ducking as another barge of arrow was released, falling on the wall in a deadly rain.

He ducked with the others, silently wishing he had through to bring his shield, but things had been somewhat rushed since he had arrived and his shield remained strapped to his back below. At the call of 'ladders' he stood and moved along the wall, helping where he could to repel the ladders and their malevolent climbers as the final rungs appeared over the stone wall.

As another deadly rain was released, Calder dropped to the stones as pain lanced through his arm. He stood; ready to continue the battle, ignoring the pain in his arm, unsure of its cause. Another soldier brushed his right arm as he moved by and pain raced through his limb again. He looked down to find a shallow gash on his lower arm, just below the elbow. Blood ran down his arm and hand as he tried to figure out what had cause the wound, but gave up as a shout rang out beside him. He turned to find himself face to face with a club. He tried to move away but he saw brown and then black as the wooden weapon crashed down on the side of his head.

The way is long and full of peril, but it is not unheard of for a brave and hearty soul to survive the journey. Stranger things have been known to happen.
Quote: Raymond E. Feist
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »

Kressfell did not have time to wait for the Dragguer's orders, and it seemed as though the new officer was having a moment of doubt.  In battle, doubt could mean death, and Kressfell knew this.  At the shout of ladders, he knew what was to come and he quickly turned his back on the Dragguer and looked about for the first wooden rungs to hit the wall.  It did not take long.  Kressfell hurried to where the threat sprung, and tried to push back on the ladder, but a foul smelling orc warrior swung wildly at his head with a short sword.  Kressfell nimbly ducked this, and countered with a vicious blow of his own with his spear.  The orc grunted and slid down the ladder, knocking the next orc off as well.  Kressfell then knocked the ladder away from the wall.

He turned back to look at the Dragguer, and was horrified to see that an orc warrior was poised over him with a club.  The Dragguer too a vicious blow to the head that Kressfell was certain must have killed him.  The Dragguer slumped down, and the orc raised his club for another blow, but Kressfell hurled his spear with deadly accuracy, and with a howl of rage, the orc toppled over the wall.

Kressfell hurried to the Dragguer's side, sure that he would be dead.  He was surprised, if not elated to find that he had been wrong.  The Dragguer was hurt bad, as blood oozed from a deep gash in his skull, but he was breathing.  Kressfell yelled at nearby soldiers until one finally came to him, having heard him over the sounds of battle.  "Take him to the hospital, and see he gets taken care of.  Come right back to me then."

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »

"And be quick about it!" a voice growled, making Kressfell look up, then grinning in relief.

Mallowart winked at the younger soldier.  "You didn't think I would miss this now, did you?"  The amusement was gone from his worn features as quickly as it had come.  "We knew it would come.  I see that Orsah-Arrock Altario has brought the cavalry.  I'll get his orders, then I'll come back to you."

Mallowart turned and headed in the direction of Altario.  The Arrock would be in command now, and in that, Mallowart was relieved.  When it came to normal day to day affairs, he was confident in his own abilities, but in matters of grave concern, like this, he was always ready to receive instruction rather that give it.  It was a large reason he had never been promoted to Dragguer.  There had opportunities in the past, many of them in fact, but he was happy to leave that to more ambitious men; men that did not care as much as he about who lived and died.  The faces of every man who died under his leadership flashed through his mind each and every night, and tonight there would be new faces added.  He could only imagine the demons that would haunt the Arrock after this battle.  In that, Mallowart pitied the man.

"Orders, Arrock?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:44:47 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

Altario was relieved to see the face of the older warrior appear on the wall near him.  Having seen Kressfell earlier, he knew that the new Dragguer had not been able to relay his orders before being hurt.  His judgement still stood.  "Mallowart, I need you to get to the southern gate.  I have Jahzhur there, but I need your experience there as well.  Its a smaller opening, but I think it might be a bit more perilous.  It is imperative that the gate is not breached.  See to it."

Altario nodded as Mallowart assented and hurried off.  The man was a good soldier.  A cry from behind him made him spin about, bringing shield to bare.  He was rocked by the impact of club on shield, and he stumbled back.  Another attack, then another.  Altario barely had time to react, as each swing connected.  Finally, he was able to force his shield forward, and to the side, forcing the latest blow to glance off to the side.  This allowed Altario bring his sword in a vicious arc toward the enemy.  The orc, however, was not to be dispatched so easily, and nimbly reached out and grabbed at Altario's wrist.  The two were close; so much so that the Remusian nearly gagged at the hot fetid breath coming from the creature.

The orc, either smiling or snarling, bared his yellowed teeth and snapped its head forward, catching Altario in the face.  The Remusian felt the skin above his left eye open up in the impact, and blood began running down his face, interfering with his vision.  With only one eye, he fought on, using his shield as a battering device, hitting the orc in the side, taking some of the creatures breath from it.  It was enough to get his right wrist free, and his sword thrust forward, striking home, and the orc sagged to the stone before him.

Altario staggered back and wiped the blood from his face with his sleeve.  It was all the time he had, before another orc came at him.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »

Wyshnir-eck-E’shov Kressfell climbed atop the wall.  A few hours of fitful sleep was disturbed by a distressed warrior who had fetched him from his slumber.  The orcs, apparently, were up to something.  Not surprising, of course.  What was surprising, was how worried the young soldier had been.  What could have unnerved him?

"Show me," was all he said.  He looked out over the wastes, seeing nothing but the orcen army, milling about, preparing for the next wave of battle, and the occasional arrow let loose upon the men on the wall.  Everything was as he would have expected.

Kressfell's gaze followed the pointing arm of the young soldier.  Because of the brightness of the morning sunlight off the frozen ice and snow, it took a moment before the subject of the soldiers worry appeared to Kressfell.  To the north, a few hundred peds from the edge of the cliff overlooking the harbour, was a line of freshly piled snow.  This line of piled snow ran parallel to the wall, and was over three peds in height.  Whatever was on the other side of that wall of snow was not going to be seen by his eyes.

Still, someone would need to see it.

Kressfell faced the soldier.  "I'm going to find Orsah-Arrock Altario."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:06:11 AM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Isoto
The Widow
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 07:16:01 AM »

Isoto groaned as he awoke. It took awhile for his eyes to adjust to the frozen world around him. Where was he? Slowly Isoto moved his half frozen body upward and propped his back against a stone wall. Every inch of his body was either numb or sore. Isoto blinked a few times, his eyes still had no fallen into focus.

The wall was covered in a slight layer of ice and frozen blood...blood, that's right, he had just been in a battle. He was in the city of Remusiat and he had just fought a fierce battle between those fierce orc. How did we survive? he thought, the night was vague to him, just a massive blur of death and carnage. Isoto straightened up against the wall, his cape crackled, apparently it had frozen through the night. He was lucky that he had not frozen to death as well, or maybe it would of been better for him to have died in his sleep. But either way he was still alive and he was still the Generals Aide.

His eyes finally fell into focus, the wall was littered with frozen bodies and pools of frozen blood, it was a bleak sight that Isoto was not to fond of. Men, his men, life frozen within them. Isoto stared into their pale eyes for what seemed like an eternity until a small sting caught his attention.

Turning to his left shoulder Isoto saw the shaft of an arrow protruding from the gap in his armour. His memory was slowly returning to him, he had been hit late in the fight and did not have the time to get it removed. Isoto had passed out after the battle was over and had not even broken the shaft.

Readjusting his armour Iosto pulled at the matted wound, the arrow didn't look too deep but he knew he better not take any chances. Grabbing the base with one and and the rest of the shaft with the other he broke the excess arrow with a powerful jerk. Isoto winced as the arrow snapped. Ok I might need a doctor to take a look at this, but first I need a head count of my men. Isoto slowly rose to his feet, his joints felt like they were breaking as he arose.

Isoto looked around, blood was rushing to his head and he was slightly disorientated for a moment. "Is any one alive out there." Isoto shouted, he waited for a few moments and called again. Nothing. He knew that anyone who had made it they would have staggered over to the inn. And truth be told a bottle of brandy sounded brilliant. Staggering off the wall Isoto made his way out to the Inn.

"I'm tired and you're in my way"

~Isoto~

Need help with your character?
Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »

Timeras slowly walked through the streets, those he met, bowed low and respectfully said "M'lord" Each time Timeras took the time to ask the person their name and make some small talk with them before moving on. He had some who asked him about the battle and he was glad he could say they had won this one and reassured others; reminding them that the walls and gates of Remusiat have never been breeched.

Most of those he met and talked with were at first a bit awed and their conversation was a bit awkward, but once they realized that he was genuinely interested in them some of them could talk up a storm. There were even some who offered to buy him a drink at the Wison's Inn or Boars Beard. Timeras was surprised that they were willing to spend their hard earned money on him.

"Perhaps later my friends, now I must oversee what is happening at the Western Gate."

Many held him to that promise as he walked away and headed toward the stone steps of the Western wall.

He slowly climbed the steps noticing blobs and spots of blood on them as well as on the top of the wall themselves. Soldiers quickly stood at attention when they saw him, he waved his hand, talked with them, got their names and made small talk with them. He even helped take the dead to a pyre and watched silently as the bodies were put on fire.

Timeras walked all around the walls of the city looking out over the frozen landscape covered with green little bodies mixed with flesh colored ones as well. From the height of the wall he noticed a mound of dirt but paid no particular attention to it. He saw the orc's Trebuchet sitting out in the open, but not being used anymore. He saw two of their ships slowly sinking in the harbour, the top mast of one was barely sticking out of the water. Two other ships, on the far side of the harbour seemed to be unharmed. They carried flags not of Remusiat. Perhaps they are cargo ships that got caught up in the war? He thought.

Injera, as the Elves called it was slowly sinking in the sky. The cold wind off the mountains whipped around the cracks, crevices and Timeras's cloak as he stared out over the landscape once again. This time far away he could barely see many fires of the Orc's encampment. Timeras thought of the orcs as he stood there. Why did they attack us? What provoked them?

"M'lord, are you thinking what I am?" A deep husky voice asked.

Timeras turned his head and saw General Gravario. "I am not sure, General. I was thinking why did they attack and what provoked them this time? What are you thinking of?" Timeras asked.

"You are asking the wrong questions M'lord. Orcs have been attacking this city for as long as I can remember," Gravario answered.

"True General. Then what questions should I be asking?"

"Who is commanding them? How does he get them to cooperate and attack as a single unit? And what is his next move?"

Timeras thought awhile. The general is correct. Orc's usually do not fight together but they normally fight against each other or against dwarfs. This orc seems to have the ability or authority to command many tribes and he has used them wisely. "This skirmish was just a test, was it not general?" Timeras asked.

"Yes. I believe so, M'lord," Gravario answered.

Timeras turned and faced Gravario. "Dispense with the M'lord when it is just the two of us. You taught me how to hold my first sword, if you recall?"

Gravario chuckled. "Yes, and I also recall how you fell flat on your face when you frist got on a horse without making sure the saddle cinches were tight."

Timeras grimmaced at that thought, but then he laughed as well. "I was only eight at the time," Timeras said trying to preserve his dignity.

"True," Gavario admitted, "it was a good time," He added. "Now if you do not mind I am going back to my office. Would you care to join me for a drink Timeras?" Gravario asked.

"Another time general. I promised others to meet them at the Wisons for a drink."

"The Wisons? Altario, his brother Ryk and a scout by the name of Garret are there as well according to my aide-de-camp, Xannech. He just returned from there. They are cooking up some sort of plan to find out what that mound of dirt is. Xannech told me that a dwarf asked them for help to find his friends who had been kidnapped by the orcs. He told me they were hatching some sort of scouting expedition."

Timeras's brows knitted together as he thought. "I just may look them up then," he said.

"If you do Timeras take some advice from me, get yourself new armour. I know you may think wearing a battle scarred chest plate shows something, but a damaged chest plate is much easier for an orcish weapon to penetrate than one that has either been repaired or brand new. But I defer to your judgement," Gravario said.

Timeras glanced down at the rent in his chest plate, then looked up. "I shall take your advice into account general."

Gravario bowed slightly, turned and left.

Timeras turned and looked back out toward the orc encampment. This time his thoughts were on the questions that Gravario had brought up. "What is your next move?" he murmured before turning, heading down the wall and towards the Wilson's Inn.

OOC continued at the Wilson's Inn.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:51:03 AM by Capher » Logged
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »

"Orsah?  Orsah-Arroch?"

Altario opened one eye and peered up at an younger soldier who stood before him.  He was sitting in a chair in the gatehouse next to the western gate.  After leaving the Wison, he had come here.  He hadn't been in a good mood, seeing as how he had wasted all morning in a futile attempt to negotiate with that Nelique woman for much needed weapons and other supplies.  Afterward, he had stormed over here and decided that he needed sleep.  People who were too tired made mistakes, and mistakes meant death.  Whether that was personally, or worse, in giving a ill thought order that got others killed.  He couldn't take that chance.  So, he had ordered that he was not to be disturbed unless the orcs were attempting another full assault.

Having this young warrior waking him now meant that the orcs were starting again.  He climbed quickly to his feet.  "How strong are they coming?" 

"Not as hard as they did last night, but they say the southern gate is taking another strong assault."

Altario picked up his sheathed sword that was laying across the table.  He wrapped the belt around his waist, and adjusted his father's weapon until it felt right on him.  He pulled it from its sheath, and admired it for a moment.  If only all Remusian swords were made as perfectly as this one.  This was an Odomon blade; a few hundred years old and made by the hand of the greatest swordsmith that Remusia had ever known, known simply as Odomon.  Only a few dozen swords of this quality existed, and were highly prized weapons, often becoming family heirlooms, handed down from father to son.  Altario now owned the one his father owned.  Not even Denrykmar could boast of having an Odomon sword.

He snorted.  Damn that frail foreign woman.  He wanted, no needed, that dwarven steel.  How many warriors would die because he couldn't strike a bargain with her?  Remusian steel, made from Gathorn Iron, was an inferior metal.  It was too brittle, and swords would sometimes break under stress.  How many of these brave young men would have their last sight to be that of holding a broken weapon?

He sheathed it again, slamming it into the sheath with an audible slap that made the young warrior jump.  "Get Kressfell.  Have him meet me on the wall.  I want a report."

The young man nodded quickly and hurried from the small gatehouse, obviously relieved to be free from the commanding officer.

Taking a deep breath, Altario followed.  The crisp clear night greeted him, with the cries of men and orc yelling out orders to one another as the two armies readied themselves to engage in battle one more.  He hurried up the stone stairs that led up to the battlements, and looked out over the orc encampment.  They were only now starting their attack, and arrows began to whistle back and forth, as orc and Remusian alike let loose the flying death.

First the arrows, then the ladders, Altario thought.  Where would they hit first.  Where would... His eyes were then focused on a large mound that stood out from the otherwise flat surface of ice and snow.  What in Kor'och's name was that?  His eyes narrowed and he stared at it, trying to make it out in the semi darkness.  Something in his stomach tightened, as dread settled into him.  Something here wasn't right.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 12:01:47 AM »

Timeras climbed the stone steps up to the battlements in deep thought and then he heard the whistle's and thaang of arrows being shot. He quickly ran up the few remaining steps, his cloak flying and whipping around him as a blast of cold mountain night air struck him.  Timeras looked and saw hundreds of torches and could faintly hear the sound of drums and the chanting of the orcs. I wonder if General Gravario knows this? Or Sir Altatrio? Timeras thought as he began running across the battlements hearing arrows clink against the stone walls of the gate.

Timeras rounded a slight bend and almost ran headlong into the imposing figure of Sir Altario who seemed to be staring at the mound of dirt that Timeras had seen earlier in the day. Timeras halted, his breathing heavy. He could see his breath in the cold air. Timeras did not want to startle the man, not knowing what would happen, but he needed, wanted to be near him, speak to him...learn from him.

"Sir Altario," Timeras said, "I see that you are curious about that mound of ice and dirt. I had seen it earlier when I was up here. What do you think it is?" Timeras asked. "And," Timeras waved his hand towards the orcs, speaking very fast began barraging Altario with questions. "why are orcs attacking at night? I thought they had bad eyesight in the night time and also I thought I heard of some superstition that they had about dying at night. And why are they shooting arrows when they know that at that distance they cannot possibly hit anyone?"

It suddenly occured to Timeras that he had been speaking like a schoolboy...he fell silent. After a blink or two he spoke once again. "I...I apologize Sir Altario. It is just...that you have much that I can learn from and I desperately want to learn," he said in almost a quiet voice.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »

Kressfell approached the wall where his commander and his prince were standing, looking out toward the mound that had caught his attention earlier. He heard Timeras explain that he had seen it before, and Kressfell nodded.  "We spotted it this morning.  I had gone to get you at the Wison, but I was told you were in a meeting."

When the commanders head swivelled around to glare at him, Kressfell took an involuntary step backward.  "I told your brother, Sir.  I figured he was going to let you know before they left to spy on it."

This was not good.  He should have followed his first instinct and insisted on telling the commander in person.  Obviously, Denrykmar did not pass on the information, for whatever reason.  This was not going to bode well for him, judging by the colour coming into the commanders face.  He had no one to blame but himself.  It was his duty alone to report to the commander, and the fact that he didn't was a breach of command.  A serious breach.

"I- I am sorry, Orsah.  I failed you."  Kressfell bowed his head, awaiting the rebuke he knew was to come.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:21 AM »

As Timeras was awaiting Altario's reply it occured to him that he was the Pince and that he should not kow tow to anyone, even Sir Altario! He had made another bad judgement call by apologizing. It would make him seem weak in front of Altario's eyes and what would his father think. Oh Timeras knew what his father would have thought if he had just heard him. He could hear him in his head already.

You are the Prince of Remusua! You never show weakness to anyone! Stand up! Be a man! How are you going to lead a country someday if you cannot give orders! Go on! leave my sight! And Timeras would bow his head in shame and leave. Yes, that is exactly what would have happened if his father had been here now and he expected that Sir Altario was thinking the same. Which is probably why he has not answered me. He is waiting for me to order him, respectfully, but still the same give an order. Timeras cleared his throat when he was interrupted by Kressfell, Altario's confidant, much like Allmeddo was to his father.

Timeras listened to Kressfell. His eyes widened in surprise when he heard about Altario brother's plan to spy on that mound of ice and dirt. He recalled that Ryk had left before he had a chance to talk to him but that he left with that scout...what was his name? Garrett, yes he left with him. A man who definately was not Remusian and looked suspicously like a pirate, a dwarf, and that lady! Hopefully Ryk was taking her someplace else. Surely he would not let a lady go on a very dangerous spying mission, would he?

Altario's head finally swiveled around from staring at the mound and Timeras saw Kressfell take a step or two backwards. Some sort of breach must have happened between the two, Timeras thought as he watched the two. Timeras had learned early in life that sometimes when other's are involved it is best to watch and listen which was why he had become so good a negotiator. Another reason I should be with those southerner's instead of my father, the thought quckly flew by Timeras's mind. But...

There was much to learn from here as well. He stood there silently and awaited Sir Altario's reply to Kressfell.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 05:52:43 AM »

As Altario stared out over the frozen wastes, in particular, the mound that seemed to have more than a little activity around it.  This was something that was strange; even for orcs, and that bothered him.  With Altario, puzzles irritated him, and was getting irritated now.

His mood was not helped by having Prince Timeras on the wall with him.  The boy was prattling on with an incessant number of questions, and it was beginning to make Altario's head pound.  Boy, Altario thought ruefully, for Timeras was probably only a year or two younger than himself, but not yet a man in the commander's eyes.  It wasn't that he didn't like the boy, but he was not his father.  Yes, the prince was out here on the wall, but he had the option of leaving at any time; going back to the safety of the tower.  Timeras was playing at war, while Altario's men were dying in defense of the city.

He was relieved to see Kressfell approach, but upon hearing the soldiers words, his face heated.  "And no one thought to make sure I heard about this?  What in Kor'och's name were you thinking?"  He tried to keep from saying something he didn't mean, but the frustration in him, and the ache in his skull pushed him on.

He took a deep breath to steady himself.  It wasn't their fault; Timeras less so.  Ryk was more to blame than anyone.  "You said they were going to spy on it?  Who are 'they'?  And how do they plan to spy on it?  This is probably the best place to see it from."

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:58 AM »

The young soldier, whose name was Brill, ran breathlessly through the streets toward the western wall. His young face scared but determined to reach his destination. All around him people were scurrying to either get to their homes or to their favorite watering hole where he could hear laughter and singing. He shook his head in astonishement. Did they not know that the orcs were attacking again? Did they not care? he thought as he continued to run.

He cared. He thought of his mother and his two younger sisters. His father was dead. Killed by an orc when his youngest sister had just been born. His family had been simple miners living in a small settlement between the city and the Heath's when one day the orcs attacked. The village fought back, but the orcs overpowered them and killed them all, burning their houses as they left.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending upon how you looked at it, he had taken his mother to the city along with other sister to the hospital for his mother was having a hard labor. He had to take care of his sister Derie while his other sister, Nerie was born.  He had almost lost his mother that day, as Nerie was a breech baby and she caused her mother to lose a lot of blood when the doctor had to move her into the correct position to be born. Brill, was too young to understand all of it but he knew what a breech baby was, as he had helped his father once with one of their mares that had a breeched foal.  They were on their way out of the city when they and the city heard about the attack.

The King sent troops to the village after he had first closed the gates to the city not allowing Brill and his family to leave. Brill was angry and watched his mother who tried to put on a brave face and then buried her head into her chest as she began to feed Nerie. Agonizing hour after hour crawled by as they awaited news. Finally the troops came back and a kind young man, not much than a few years older than himself, calling himself Phillip Bor'ach told him and his family what had happened. Brill wanted to rush out and see if his father had somehow escaped, but the gates were closed, and Phil told him, assured him, that no one escaped and that he would not want to go out there.

Brill cried himself to sleep that night at Phil's parents house who wee kind enough to put he and his family up. Brill took a job doing anything and his mother, who was a very good seamstress, began to work as well. The Bo'rach's were kind enough to let them live there until they could afford a hovel of a home in the poorer section of the city. When Brill was old enough, he joined the city guard. He got paid more and he thought someday I might get a chance to kill an orc.

Brill finally reached the stone stairs that led up to the ramparts overlooking the western gate. He stopped just long enough to grab a few frozen breaths of air and then began sprinting up the stairs. He reached the top of the rampart and began running around them noticing a huge amount of torches out in the frozen wastes moving slowly, inexhoribly toward the western gate. Brill knew that orcs carried those torches. He heard their archers fire and out in the distance he would hear a howl of pain. Got one, he thought as he continued to run.

Rounding a bend he almost crashed headlong into the back of someone. He quickly stopped, breathing hard. The person turned around and Brill's jaw dropped open. It was the Prince! He quickly went to one knee. "M"lord," was all he could think of saying.

Timeras standing back from Kressfell and Altatrio, listening to them heard the footsteps behind him. He turned and was greeted by a very young man, perhaps a boy, who after a moment of shock dropped to his knee. Timeras placed his hand upon the boy's shoulder. "Rise, and tell me why you are in such a rush?"

Brill rose, composed himself, "M'lord I was ordered to come here and tell the General and the Commander that orcs are attacking the southern gate and we do not have the manpower to defend it if it is a large force," Brill answered.

Timeras paused. Altario is going to be busy with the western wall and know with the knowledge of his brother on a secret spying mission. He should not be disturbed. Timeras made a decision. "I will go with you and look over the situation."

"Yes, M'lord. But if I may be so bold, what about more soldiers?" Brill asked.

"Most are going to be needed here to defend the western gate. We will have to pick up those still in their bunks and if that is enough then ask for volunteers," Timeras answered. "Now let us go."

Timeras and Brill left with Brill just a bit apprehensive and proud at the same time. He was walking side by side with the Prince

OOC Timeras will be at the southern gate.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 12:41:10 PM »

Kressfeel swallowed hard.  This wasn't good.  If the commander thought he was mad now, just wait.  "They were trying to get a ship, Orsah.  They were hoping to sail out under the cliffs and scale up.  Thet wanted to see the mound from the rear.  And by they, I mean your brother and scout Arroway.  There was also a dwarf that was going, and they were going to get the captain of a ship to take them.  A gold toothed man, if I'm correct."

He watched the commanders reaction, which wasn't good.  Why didn't he just wait and tell the commander himself?  He was about to offer to go find the younger Shialt-eck-Gorrin when a soldier approach and began talking about the southern gate.  The battle appeared to be getting worse.  There would be no time to go on any search.

"Do you want me to go with them to the southern gate?"

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »

Listening to Kressfell describe Denrykmar's plan, Altario's face went from red to ashen, his eyes opening wide.  That fool!  What, by Kor'och's grace, did he think he was doing?  Gold toothed man?  That decrepit looking thing he met briefly in the Wison this morning?  This was bad; very bad.  He needed to go stop his brother.  That was suicide.

While contemplating the foolish plans of his brother, he was aware that another soldier came up and was talking to Timeras about the Southern Gate.  Through the haze of his thoughts, he listened to the two men talk.  His brows furrowed listening to Timeras.  Then as the two men were about to leave, Altario shouted at them.  "I have Jahzhur is command there.  See to it that he is kept appraised of anything the two of you do!"

Altario watched the two of them hurry off, all the while a bad feeling turned in his stomach.  Had he not have been preoccupied with Denrykmar, he might have said more to them, or stopped them completely.  Instead, he turned back to face the mound in the distance.  What was it?  And was it worth Denrykmar's life?

He turned to Kressfell.  "No, you stay here.  I need you here.  You are a good soldier, Kressfell.  Jahzhur will have to handle the southern gate, and Mallowart should be there.  And my brother needs to be able to take care of himself.  I pray we all survive this night."

It was at that moment that soldiers began to cry out the warnings.  The orcs were coming again.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]