Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Boar's Beard  (Read 36463 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »

Brem entered the Boar's Beard with less trepidation than he would normally have done.  Normally, this would have seemed like a den of blaspheming and debauchery, but today, it was the focus of his new resolve.  Hanging on his arm, was the girl that had been brought to the temple for healing.  She had a lump on her head, but was otherwise none the worst for wear.  He gently led her up to the bar, whereupon he presented her to Maryn.  "She will be fine, though she should rest.  I suggest she stay in bed."  Then, remembering the type of establishment this was, added, "Alone!"  He then let go of the girl, and gave neither her nor Maryn any more of his attention.

No, he was on a mission today.  His god had spoken to him; given him the way to save the Remusian people.  He would remembered for all time as the saviour of Remusia.  But, the mission required help.  He would not be able to do what was required on his own.  For now, he would need to put aside the prejudices that he held against foreigners, and would be required to ask for their help.

He looked about the room.  If he thought the patrons of the Wison looked like a rough group, the had nothing on the people who frequented the Beard.  The Wison was a little more expensive, and was run a bit more carefully.  This place, however, was simply a flop house for sailors and ne'er do wells.  A veritable cornucopia of pleasures of the flesh could be garnered here if one had the gold to afford them.  Or the lack of principle.

He noticed a rather unkempt looking woman eating a meal like a starving dog might.  Something within him made a strong assumption that she was what he was looking for.  Or rather, what his god had wanted.  She was strong, it appeared, and maybe not too bright.  But what he needed her for, intelligence wasn't a defining attribute.  His god would tell them what they needed to know.

He approached her, slowly, placing a warm smile upon his rotund features.  He stopped, several fores from the table, as to not appear threatening.  "If I may interupt you, I was hoping that I could talk to you for a moment."

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2009, 04:39:21 AM »

"Careful of that one neighbour, she'll bite your head off if you're not careful." Valan shivered from the cold outside and leaned a little bit more heavily on his stick.

The weather here was abysmal. Abyssal cold, enough sun for a cave creature, but there were things happening here so here Valan was.

Nevermind that he could scarcely write a clear word for having his hands and arms shiver. Nevermind that the ink froze up in the bottle and had to be heated over a candle if you wanted to write with it. Nevermind that it was cold enough to freeze your damned nose of your face if you didn't bundle up under a ped's thickness of clothing when you went outside.

Nevermind all of that, this fellow was putting his neck in very immediate danger by the look of what the girl, no the woman had managed to do to the man he was currently helping over to a table.

Of course if he decided not to listen to sense, then it was his own neck and he could break it in the manner of his choosing.

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Lucian
The Orphan
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »

Lucian found this man’s rush of information quite exhilarating, and the boy’s head spun as he tried to comprehend the long sentences, and the words which he had never heard of.  Styrash, well he had heard of Styrash before, though he knew for a fact that it was the language of the elves. Only half listening to the first answer, he cocked his head to the left and folded his arms. Interrupting the scholar’s next words, he said: “If Styrash is an elven tongue, then why do you speak it? How did you learn it? Did an elf teach you, did he?” Lucian recognised the bluntness of his questions, but continued to piece together what he was being told.

"I'll be a roasted taenish if I could understand what she was saying. Might as well be gibberish to me. Reminds me of Imlith for some reason. Phah. I know too much for my own good. If you're good enough to walk perhaps you should take a seat? Valan, by the way, Valan Nonesuch, please don't laugh."

At the mention of him not being fit to walk, Lucian’s whole body tensed. How dare this man assume that he should be bested by a mere slap across the face! He was used to punches and kicks by men, and even the bruises took their sweet time in becoming painful. Suddenly fuelled by his emotions, the assassin straightened his back, raised his chin and puffed out his chest proudly. “Sir, I assure you that I am fit to walk. It is quite dangerous for one to be so presumptuous; I daresay that if I were in a better mood I would have been offended.”

His eyes widened in alarm when the scholar slapped himself in the face, and Lucian’s hand shot to his leg, fingers at the ready to dive down and pull out the concealed dagger. The reaction was just sheer surprise and a practiced reflex. Lucian watched the older man laugh at himself, frowning even further when he called himself a fool and listened as he asked if he knew any orcish.

The Kar-ii relaxed and re-positioned himself before answering, trying to sound more friendly than he had been. “No, I don’t know any language other than Tharian. The only study that I enjoy lies outside, not on paper I’m afraid. Why is it you asked?”

Ori Amnan
Prowler
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:29 AM »

Ori was eyeing the rest of her tavern suspciously. She was more than halfway through her meal. The meat was delicious! Her stomach growled in approval as it finally got its long demanded nutritions. While she was greatly - and noisily - enjoyed her food another human entered the tavern, well, two actually. He halfway carried a girl with him and made way to the bar. From his cloth he seemed slightly similar to the old guy who angered her with his intervention at the bar, but Ori was not very good in telling the standing of humans based on their attire.

With a few words he handed the girl over to the barmaid. He seemed rather insistent in his voice about something. Ori did not care nor followed and minding her own business continued her meal.

"If I may interupt you, I was hoping that I could talk to you for a moment."

As it was she froze when the hooded man addessed her. What is it with this place that none here seemed to be capable to leave her alone. How did humans deal with this? At an orcish clan fire someone would have been maimed or slain for continuously annoying another individual. Or did they consider as sub par as the orcs at home did?

Ori looked up from her  steak with a slightly stupid expression on her face surprised and confused by the newcomer's address to her.

"What want you now? ... Mr' ong'cr... eating. Latter."

She casually grabbed the tankard and took a deep gulp, not paying any attention the man when turning towards her meal once again...

Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »

"Because I believe the lady is speaking orchish, pardon me, orcish neighbour. I don't know what business she has speaking orcish and not a whit of Styrash, she certainly doesn't have the look of an orc. But it explains so much. A shame though. If you don't speak orcish, I certainly don't. It's not really something you come across in books. Orcs aren't exactly known for their penmanship or ability to read for that matter." Valan paused in midsentance and considered a few of the other choice phrases his new acquaintance, whose name he had yet to learn, and began to answer.
"Lorehold, as a matter of fact. My accent is atrocious and I don't understand some of the finer points but I can get across 'no don't do that!' and 'please don't shoot me' well enough."
Valan sat down, leg aching and gestured to a chair.
"You'd like to live forever then? I'm quite sure our latest arrival here doesn't. If you won't take a seat I will. I think, neighbour, we are about to be witnesses to a murder." Valan paused a moment. "Or at the very least a very violent and possibly amusing disemboweling or defenestration."
Valan expertly steepled his fingers over his stick as he awaited either a reply or the aforementioned violence. Either would do.

Valan Nonesuch
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »

Brem studied the woman before him.  She was strange, even for a foreigner.  Still, he was not to be deterred.  He took a step forward.  His gods had sent him here for a reason, and he had complete faith in them, and her dangerous disposition did not in the least worry him.  If he died, it would be the will of the gods, and he was doing their will.  Somehow, he didn't think that they were done with him quite yet. 

"I need help.  The city needs help.  Unless you have been sleeping through the last days, you know that we are under siege by an orc army outside our gates.  Unless something is done, I am convinced that they will break through the defences on the wall and plunder our city.  I shouldn't have to explain what will happen to us all then."  He watched her eat, noting that she did so in a way that seemed almost feral, as if she had once had to fight to keep her food.  "May I sit?"

He did not wait for an answer from her, and instead took a seat opposite her.  "I, however, have a plan to defeat the orcs.  I know where there are items, which wielded properly, can defeat a thousand orc armies.  And riches galore, if that is what you are interested in.  I only seek the salvation," he paused, then shook his head, "no, the safety of this city.  But, it is something I cannot do by myself, and I need others to help me.  I would, of course, let you have any of the other treasures that you wished, once we have recovered the artifact."

As Brem watched the stranger eat, occasionally glancing up at him, as if he were going to try and steal her food, he began to wonder just how much of what he said to her, she was actually understanding.  Perhaps, she wasn't the best first choice for this.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Ori Amnan
Prowler
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »

The persistant man did not give up while Ori did her best to gulp down as much food as possible. He hastily sat down opposite which made her jerk but she let him talk with watchful eyes and eased her concealed grip on her hunting knife a little latter. Whatever he wanted he talked about alot of things she did not comprehend. Some stuff about the orcs, some other stuff about the city and even more stuff about treasure and ... well, stuff.

When he had ended his speech Ori stared at him blankly for a while her fingers still sticky from the meal she had just swallowed. She frowned trying to make sense of his longwinded sentences but at least the basics of his words she could decipher. She only didn't know why some human would come to her for this. Absently she scratched her chin then looked  a bit befuddled through the tavern. Then she looks up to the man again trying to make sense of this man.

"You ... no friends?"

"Why ...  help ... me?" She point insistently to herself. "Ask ... me? Me' no know. No' my clan. You, city, oc a Rhochmarr"

She blushed from her lack of words knowing that it must sound like gibberish... And that old man continued to watch her from the other table as if expected some kind of entertainment. It was putting her off. She snarled at him rather testy poking the remaining bone of the steak threateningly at him.

"And ... what you want? Brr'car."

She certainly was not used to this much attention from all sides.

Lucian
The Orphan
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »

Lucian listened intently to this man’s, this Valan’s, words, though only three phrases came to mind once his elongated sentences had finished. Educated, presumptuous, and, well, educated. All of those terrifyingly long words buzzed around Lucian’s mind, trying to attach themselves to a meaning but failing miserably.

Valan meant only to start a conversation; that quickly became clear. His frequent glances over at that elfess were ridden with what seemed to be anxiety and questioning. Perhaps he thought of her as a test subject? Someone to study; to learn every inch, every detail, of her life. Lucian laughed softly to himself. Perhaps it was he who was being presumptuous. He placed a forearm onto the bench and slightly bowed his head, eyes looking upward at the older man. “I don’t know much about orcs, sir, but what I can tell you is that their reputation certainly does them justice. In combat anyway, but that story is for another time.”

Finally deciding that this man was not worth the strain of a brawl, Lucian let an approving smile cross his lips, which surprised even himself. He extended his left hand, the skin of the palm slightly calloused and rough. “My name is Lucian,” he said. “And forever certainly does sound like a promising suggestion.” At his own words, the smile turned into a boyish grin that flashed his curiously perfect teeth.

Looking down at Valan’s walking stick, his eyes glistened with intrigue. “Is that an accessory, or do you suffer from an injury? Because you are probably the first man I have ever seen to walk with a cane in the proud yet interesting way you do so well.”

Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »

"It's a long story, but suffice it to say that it involved a horse, a cart and me crushing my fool leg."

Valan still didn't like horses. Stupid bloody animals. They always looked like they were ready to bite your face off, which considering the size of those teeth... Valan shivered.

"Too much walking I imagine. I get rather ill on sea voyages, and I can't abide horses, so I'm stuck walking just about everywhere."

It was true of course. Damned boats and horses and damned everything. If it wasn't one thing it was another. The trip here by boat had made him wonder how he hadn't starved to death after vomiting so much. Eventually he'd just spent the remainder of the voyage trying to make his head stop spinning.

"Oh, and never thinking that you're old. You start believing you're old and you're already dead."

Valan finished his contemplation in time to notice that the newcomer had been lucky enough not to have been thrown out the window by the irascible elfess, who was now asking him what exactly he wanted. Valan supposed it wouldn't help matters if he got himself killed, so held up his hand, nodded and turned back to his newest acquaintance.

"I'm surprised. She hasn't tried to rip out his throat or put him through a window yet. Oh well, no accounting for taste. Is the situation really that bad?"

Valan Nonesuch
Lucian
The Orphan
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »

It came as a shock to the egoistic boy, but Lucian could not help but actually begin to like this man. His company was refreshing, to say the least. He did not fire insults or belittle him, which Lucian made a mental note to apologise for later in the conversation. Valan, he thought, was good company.

Another shock hit him, as he found himself listening intently to what Valan had to say. "It's a long story, but suffice it to say that it involved a horse, a cart and me crushing my fool leg. Too much walking I imagine. I get rather ill on sea voyages, and I can't abide horses, so I'm stuck walking just about everywhere."

Lucian could not help but sympathise ever-so-slightly. His eyes dropped to his own left knee, which was beginning to ache from being forced to stand for so long. Cursing his pride, Lucian sat at the stool next to Valan. “Why not buy a cart? A donkey will provide a fair speed for travel, and you will have room for your belongings in the back,” he suggested.

He noticed that Valan’s gazed wandered to the newcomer in the bar, currently being eyed with suspicion and vehemence by the woman who had made the side of his jaw burn softly. No doubt he now had a light palm print on the side of his face. Still, he admired her ferocity. It made him want to take her arm and wait for her reaction all over again, just to see if he could get some form of a conversation out of her.

"I'm surprised. She hasn't tried to rip out his throat or put him through a window yet. Oh well, no accounting for taste. Is the situation really that bad?"

He chuckled softly, eyes trailing down the soft pink of the scar on her face and the waving curves of her cheekbones. He saw beyond the current purse of her lips and distrust in her eyes, seeing the notion of hardship and stress in her features. The dark red of her air illuminated her pale eyes, drawing his own green ones to look directly into them though hers were cast away. It took a moment for him to answer Valan, though when he did his tone was light, thoughtful. “Something tells me she won’t do more than what she saw was fit to do to me,” he pointed to his blazing cheek. “And as to the severity of the situation, it must be. Or this fellow would not walk unarmed into a tavern full of people equipped with weapons. They must be desperate up there.”

He paused for yet another long moment, before finally looking back at Valan. “Take a long look at her, Valan. She doesn’t look at all irritated with him; you can see it in her eyes. She looks almost… sad. Like she’s irritated with herself for some reason.”

It wasn’t like Lucian to be so intellectual. Maybe some of Valan’s smarts had rubbed off on him?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:17:50 PM by Lucian » Logged

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »

Brem listened closely to her broken words, understanding only some of it.  From what he could he gather, she was questioning why her.  He tried to smile, though it came across more as a grimace across his thick cheeks.  He wasn't used to being a happy man, being more prone to dour moods.

"I don't have the 'right' friends for the job I have in mind.  I need someone not at all bothered by certain taboos that would bother most of my brethren.  As well, certain members of the higher circles of our society I am quite sure would be against this. However, I am convinced that the circumstances are dire enough to proceed with my plan." 

He drummed his fingers on the solid stone tabletop.  "So, I guess I'm asking for your help.  I cannot do this by myself, and I fear the city will be lost if I do not go forward with it.  Please, say you will help me."  There was nothing more he could say at this point.  Either she would accept, and he had his first compatriot, or he needed to look further.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Ori Amnan
Prowler
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2009, 03:40:40 AM »

Ori still eyed this newly arrived, annoying old man with suspicion. His words did not really make sense to her. Why would anyone walk to a tavern and expect strangers to bail them out of trouble or pave their way to some glorious victory. More importantly this human trait of begging for someone else's help seemed rather low. Proper warriors would rather choke on a piece of bone than ask another one to give them a slap on the back. It was a question of honor and somehow most humans seemed completely alien to that concept.

She continued to stare at it him rather intrigued for another few moments before absently scratching her forehead. She had no idea what taboos where but this man might give her the necessary metal to properly buy more food while this city won't open again.  She needed that desperately but her doubts were still there. Why would he select her - a clear outsider and stranger - to help him. That sounded too much of a trick the townsfolk and villagers in other settlement had played with her. None actually wants the help of a foreigner, not even among any of the non-orc tribes.

"What I ... need be doing?" she asks cautiously. The last thing she needed was a bunch of angry townspeople with torches and nowhere to run.

but insistently she added:

"How much metal youd give me?"

Ori was not certain if this was at all what she should be doing, but with little money, an army of orcs outside and an army of human folk with strange customs inside it seemed necessary.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2009, 05:47:21 AM »

Another smile crossed Brem's face, but this one was not forced, it came naturally to him.  She was going to agree.  Only item left to discuss was the pay.  And that was easy.  The gods were going to provide her and all the others with the rightful payment they deserved.

"Like I said, there are great treasures where we are going, and you can have as much as you can carry."  He looked at the blank stare she was giving him and decided to make it easier on her.  "Much metal.  Much."

Now, he had one person, and that was a start, but he would need more.  As well, there was some equipment he would need as well.  With that, he might need to get that fist, while it was still daylight.  He stood up.  "You stay here.  I will be back with some tools.  Then we can look for a couple more people to help."  He nodded at her, then hurried toward the door.

Ok.  Tools.  He would need some shovels, some picks.  Torches, yes, mustn't forget those.  A couple of cloth sacks.  Quite the list.  He wasn't entirely sure where to get them, but he knew where to look.  Dahlen.  That man would know where to find this type of thing.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Lucian
The Orphan
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »

The silence between the scholar and the assassin made Lucian nervous. What had I said? He wondered, raising a brow to his older companion. Again his eyes fell over the elfess, who seemed to be up to her eyebrows in her thoughts, and decided that it was probably best not to go and hassle her again. There was always time for that later.

He nodded to the barmistress, whose expression was a daunting one; full of scorn or just the grumpiness of being awake from early morning. He gestured to the silver coin which miraculously managed to stay placed on the bench. It would cover the elfess’s meal, his own – whatever that had been – and probably the meal of everyone else in the room.

He turned to Valan and placed a friendly hand on his shoulder.  “I bid you farewell, friend. May we meet again some day.” With that, he left the stool, trying not to hobble on his stiff leg, and made his way out into the cold. The fox had managed to find her way to him, wherever she had disappeared to beforehand he had no idea, and was cheerfully skipping by his ankles.

Lucian lifted the hood of his cloak and pulled it over his head, covering his face in a graying shadow, and secured the position of the bags and the blade on his back. Big clouds of steam blew from his mouth and nose when he breathed, which only made his arms clasp together with more ferocity. He began the slow and tedious trek across the icy stone and, turning to the shivering fox, he tried to smile. “Well Leah where do we go now?

Ori Amnan
Prowler
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:18 AM »

Orí was quite irritated by the self important behavior of the man who offered her some kind of job. He obviously didn't really bother to tell her what her involvement in his plans was which made her suspicious. But she still needed money. This strange thing that seemed to keep the human world running. As quickly as he appeared he was gone with the rather unspecific notion to wait for him. He obviously did figure her as just a small cog in a more complex machination and thus just as easily forgotten as found.

She was still lost quite in thought when the man had already rushed out of the door again. Self doubt plagued her to wether this man was trying to use her for something he believed she was too stupid to comprehend. She had to be on her guard with these people. They were no orcs afterall. Despite whatever cruelty an orc would deal out he would at least speak to your face about his intentions. Humans seemed very different to that. It was a wonder any othe race would deal with them, but maybe they just had the merit of being so many.

The impudent man from before obviously bid his new companion goodbye and left. Orí was still not sure what to think about it. He insolently grabbed her by the shoulder. From all she knew this merited more than a simple blow to the head but maybe this was indeed the wrong thing to do here. But not her problem. He seemed to be put in his place which at least was something she managed to control to some extent.

Ori finished her meal and absently sipped on the tankard, but when she had finished the meal decided to wait outside. The remotely fresh air of the city was preferrable to the odor in this place. As she found some steps opposite the tavern - somewhat out of the shadows and with a clear view to the sky at least - she sat down, pulled out her hunting knife and a sharpening stone and absently started to get her blade patched up. Aside of some arrows getting the nicks and rough edges out of the blade was one of the reasons she got herself in this city and mess in the first place. And she felt calmer to know the knife was there for anyone else trying to bother her to see.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]