Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Librarium: Story Proposal  (Read 4564 times)
Luca the Thief
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:26:00 AM »

The Librarium
This is a story proposal I've been toying with in many different forms for months now, and I'm just now gaining the confidence that it may actually be realized to its potential. Hopefully you're all as intruiged by this new challenge to roleplaying as I am... it could prove more fun, more interesting and probably more difficult than your run of the mill story.

Overview:

Basically it will be a sort of “story” but instead of chapters, each segment will be a Santharian parallel of some famous modern day story (some ideas include The Wizard of Oz, Little Red Riding Hood, Alice in Wonderland). Players will be chosen and assigned roles (there will usually be only be one role per original character in the story though creativity may allow for some adjustments) depending on characters and how well they fit. When the short story (remember, these are all relatively short tales that can be finished in months with steady posting) the players will be disbanded, I will concoct a new story to reinact and a new call for players will be announced.

The Story:
Or rather, in this case, stories. I will choose old stories or fairy tales that everybody knows off by heart, has a conceivable number of characters and is more or less easy to parallel in our world. That being said, everything in the story will be altered to give it a Santharian context and flair (I have a few ideas I need to bring up with the admins, but those can be worked around). I do not intend for there to be some kind of continuous “overall” plot throughout that links each chapter. One story ends, another begins, simple as that. The plot will follow as the events of the original unfold naturally, though Santharian touches and more in-depth dialogue on the parts of the characters will maintain interest.

I think this would work quite easily considering that the time span for these individual stories can be quite brief if we desire. This should not, however, be considered a low commitment story. Herein lies the greatest fault: if a character drops out, it could be considered seriously detrimental to the plot. While it could be worked around, it would lose a good deal of the integrity of the story itself, so players would need to be quite committed (not that it’s any other way for any other story) to maintain the story’s cohesion.

The Characters:
While the roles of characters in pre-existed stories are already defined, this does not restrict the type of characters I could accept for any given role. For the sake of interest and dynamic, I would have no reservations in casting opposite gendered characters or even those with seriously alternative personalities. I would however be limited to good-evil in most cases just to maintain particular group dynamics. Do not make characters for this story. Use what you have, it will be so much more fun!

Unfortunately I do not have the time (nor mental focus) to oversee more than one ongoing plot, therefore the cast at any given time in the story could be widely varied, though often quite small. Some parts will be considerably shorter in duration than others (Wicked Witch of the East, anyone?) Hopefully, the predicted short duration of each story should cancel out this minor downfall.

The Mods:
I, obviously, would be the main mod and may or may not play in the stories (I’ll probably play in the fist story just to test the waters first hand). I am open to having mods for individual stories or one to stay with me for however long this project endures. I would personally prefer anybody considering to be my co-mod to have at least five months active board-presence experience as well as notable roleplaying experience simply considering the potential complexity of this endeavor from a moderator’s standpoint.

That’s pretty much all I have going for me right now. I’m tentatively considering either The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland for the first story. Please do not ask to join until I get more admin/player feedback and make a final decision on which story I would possibly use. I welcome any and all feedback, comments, questions and even suggestions for stories for us to parody. Also, have fun daydreaming what your favorite character would be like with ruby studded boots or chasing a white haired hobbit down a hole.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:31:32 AM by Luca the Thief » Logged
Lursus Khrath
Viper of Santhala
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:22:39 AM »

What's that? Will I finally get a Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle? Big Grin ... Oh wait. You're a rogue. You'll probably need. *shakes fist*

Srsly though, very intriguing. Good luck getting it up there, and consider me a daydreamer.

I'm laughing at clouds, so dark up above
the sun's in my heart, and I'm ready for love
Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:48:33 AM »

I like the idea of a little more of a humerous story, sounds silly and fun  grin

Khel
Unbound Rogue
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:39:27 AM »

Luca, I love the idea. I think it would be fun and a little something different... but still Santharian.

I have one question, it may be stupid, but -shrugs-
When you cast the player, say me, in a role in a story, would I act like Khel or would I act like that character from the story? Attempting to take on their perceived personality and such

Hm, it was just a thought. Anyway, I'd be happy to see this up and running :)

..tell me your heart doesn't race for a hurricane or a burning building. -asw
Your pal, Khel
Luca the Thief
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:07:03 AM »

You would act like your character! The plot and number of characters are really the only similarities, so you'd be just be being put in that same situation.
Khel
Unbound Rogue
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:08:26 AM »

Okay, that was my first thought, but then I thought "what if.." and it ran away with me.

..tell me your heart doesn't race for a hurricane or a burning building. -asw
Your pal, Khel
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 07:57:17 AM »

i am pleased you did not say white haired dwarf run in a mountain or something. LOL
Morcaanan
Outcast Avenger
Approved Character

Human, Korweynite

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 08:52:33 AM »

I hope this idea is still on - I'd love to participate with one of my characters.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Dragonmaster
Torscha
Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »

Need a Pied Piper or narrator?

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »

A question... as copywright infringement does occur, which is why characters are not allowed to take names out of fiction, how are you going to get around this?  I understand the attraction to this, but am concerned with the seeming lack of creative inspiration in this.  Where is the Santharian theme in taking litarary stories and painting them in Santharian colours?

Not a condemnation of what you are putting forth, just a couple of questions that I think need addressing. :)

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Torscha
Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

I honestly doubt that fairytales are considered copyrighted. In such cases, things that are in the public domain can be freely used as long as one acknowledges that they are not original material. It's one thing to say, "I'm writing a novel based on the Red Riding Hood Story"; it's another to say, "I really wrote Red Riding Hood".

The authenticity and origin of "literary stories" are hard to establish anyway. Today's Disneyfied fairytales bear little resemblance to their Grimm incarnations, and even the Brothers Grimm didn't actually invent the stories that they published: many of them were collated from folk myth, with uncertain origins. Many of them probably have pagan roots, illustrating cautionary warnings (don't leave the path) or simple parables about the world (this is why Thunder hates Lightning, and why you never get one without the other). To elaborate: Red Riding Hood stories can be found all over France and Germany predating the Grimm brothers, in many cases with her red hood representing the blood of virginity, with the wolf as the rapacious man and Hood's leaving the path to beat the young huntsman at the race as the seduction of the innocent maiden. This interpretation brings it in line with contemporary theories about myths and stories.

Even if we go to something relatively "literary" and less "fairytale". Let's use Shakespeare's Othello as a case in point, it being one of my favourite plays. it's based on an older version called Otello by Cinthio. Shakespeare did not invent the basic black-man-white-woman plot of Othello. He introduced minor characters here and there and made a few major changes to existing characters, such as making Cassio demonstrably a cad by showing his affair with the prostitute. Characters like Iago, fundamental as they are to Othello, originate from stock characters in Italian comedy: Iago is supposed to represent the miles, the typical "cowardly but loud-mouthed soldier" that we still snigger at today in the form of pot-bellied drill sergeants and armchair generals. The Hot Shots series of films can be seen to be an extended satire on this dramatic archetype.

tl;dr: Most of literature is really just an extended game of mad libs. Taking liberties with the plot, changing a few names here and there, and slapping some Santharian varnish on the raw bits isn't going to be a copyright infringement; neither is it grounds for bringing up accusations of lack of originality, if anyone is so minded.

Luca the Thief
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »

Allegory and parody are perfectly acceptable practices in my mind so long as you and your audience know and acknowledge it.

As for the creativity, I think you underestimate the challenge it could be to play these 'roles'. Take, for instance, the Three Little Pigs. Say you've been assigned to be the first pig with the straw house. Well... that's pretty much all the information we have. First of all, you're definitely not a pig. You need to find a guy to buy straw from, logically build a house out of it, allow for time to pass, invoke the wrath of the decided 'wolf' (who may be one person or a whole troupe of people) and then y'all would play out the ultimate destruction of the house and your running to the stick house. While this may seem kind of cut and dry at first, as an experienced role-player I can promise you fitting characters into loosely defined roles with a definite goal in mind is more difficult than one would imagine.

As for Santharian theme... I considered simply writing a Santharian short story of Alice in Wonderland for the site Library but decided a) the devvies wouldn't appreciate the lack of original creativity and b) why hog the writing experiment for myself? Altered books are quite commonplace in some schools as an English project to challenge students to take something defined and identifiable and make it their own. In fact, doesn't the dev board encourage, instead of writing an entry for an animal or plant we all know and love, to take it and make it our own? Consider this a demented and perverse (though hugely entertaining) version of that, just for the roleplaying board.
Torscha
Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 11:46:49 PM »

Out of curiosity, are you responding directly to Altario's post, or my own? Seems to be a little channel-crossing going on at the moment.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 12:32:51 AM »

I just wanted a little more explanation of what was being brought to the table here.  I know Luca well enough to know that she has much in the way of creative talent, which is why I worded it as "seeming lack of creativity" rather than just accusing her of such.  At first blush, one might think that of this proposal, so I was hoping to get a better understanding of it.

I do hope, Luca, that you read my questions as such, and were not offended by them. :D

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Luca the Thief
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 07:44:49 AM »

Not to worry, my dear. I don't offend easily.

I am a little confused as to what you're looking for in terms of more information. Basically I'm just trying to bring some variety by introducing a unique kind of story while providing a writing challenge for anybody interested as such. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a huge amount of interest from the board so it seems like it won't be set in motion anytime soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]