Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Galden/ Mitharim/ Singspeaker  (Read 12115 times)
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« on: December 12, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »

Name: Galden
Race: Dwarf
Tribe: Mitharim Tribe   
Title: Traveling Bachelor

Appearance
Height: 1 Ped, 1 Fore
Weight: 1 Pygge, 5 Hebs, 1 Hafeb
Hair Color: Brown   
Eye Color: Brown

Physical Appearance: Galden looks like a typical dwarf: short and stocky. His brown eyes flick about taking in everything. During the day, Galden has a hat the droops to just above his eyes. This makes the light bearable to his dark-accustomed eyes. Galden's pet bat may often be seen sitting on his shoulder. In fact, the tan shirt he wears has a dark depression where his bat sits. His black pants fit comfortably, loose but not terribly baggy. A smile or smirk is commonly on his face, but when he thinks deeply his mouth becomes a line.

His deep brown beard flows down to the middle of his broad chest. Galden smooths it often when thinking and to prevent it from going completely wild. On special occasions will braid his beard and apply a gloss to make it shine.

Clothing: A tan shirt with a depression on the right shoulder comes down a few nailsbreadths below the waist of his loose fitting pants. Galden also has a hat with a droopy brim to lessen the sun's light on his eyes. Finally he has a dark brown cloak to wrap around his body, to keep warm.

Personality: Galden enjoys jokes-maybe a little too much. He sometimes stirs up trouble with his bat, making people scream. He can become serious too, when he thinks he makes little noise and often stares at nothing. To him his vision just clouds over when he thinks, to others it seems he is trying to find a Bavereye Beetle hidden on the wall.

Galden's view on life is a common dwarven one. Humans can sometimes be tolerated. Elves can rarely be trusted, and Gnomes, Brownies, and Hobbits are the best races to trade with. Though this is his view, Galden practices common courtesy and is semi-polite to everyone. Sure he may be a bit more gruff towards an elf, but they won't be treated like vermin. With humans, he speaks suspiciously for a while before actually talking to them normally, just to make sure that they are trustworthy. Gnomes, Brownies, and Hobbits are treated the best, by far, by Galden, he starts off in a normal voice and slowly they may forge a friendship.

Strengths:
-Hearing~ He has been trained since he was a boy to hear a bat's chits, so he can hear so well that he when in a busy building he can pick out the other conversations easily.

-Night Sight~ Training to hear and see a bat in the dark has made Galden's eyes at home in the dark. He may see his bat flying high, in the night sky, eating insects. This allows him to see farther than most dwarfs can see at night.

-Jukuthas~ His companion, thought pretty useless by Galden at times, has the ability to carry a message to Galden's home every once and a while, to let his family know he is alright.  Jukuthas is also able to repeat Galden's chits, so if they are running low on money, the dwarf can always put on a show of his bat flying around and repeating what Galden has chirped to him.

-Singspeaking without machine~ Galden can understand simple messages that bats can carry without the machine to translate it. He can send messages home and receive messages without the need of the Singspeaking machine to decode the chirps.

Weaknesses:
-Mischievous~ Galden enjoys letting his bat loose in places as a prank. This gets him into trouble often and he has been kicked out of several places for doing this.

-Daylight~ In daylight his eyes often hurt. He tries to avoid bright lights at all costs, for if something is to bright he often can't see for a while.

Galden doesn't have very good sight during the day, he can see things only two peds in front of him. Jukuthas can be a better pair of eyes than he could ever have. Jukuthas is like a warning system, he will chirp and fly away, which tells Galden that something has scared the bat into taking flight.

-Loud noises~ due to his good hearing, loud noises, which won't affect most people, give him very bad headaches.

History: Born with a brother by the name of Kulan, Galden was the youngest of the four siblings. The oldest was their other brother, Luthas, and the second oldest was their sister, Jude. His early childhood was just like most, learning things from his older siblings and parents.

When he was still young, he was playing hide-and-seek with his siblings. This was when Galden's father, Jutun, noticed his son had a knack for finding his brothers and sister. When Jutun asked Galden how he did it Galden said, It's easy because they laugh when they hide. Jutun listened for giggling and heard none. Galden turned around and found Jude hiding behind a chair. Jutun realized that his son had abnormally good hearing, and at once thought of his friend that was a singspeaker. He talked with his friend and this friend decided to train Galden to become a singspeaker. His father just wanted his son to be trained as a singspeaker, though his friend saw the potential and asked to be able to train the boy himself. And of course his father agreed.

Galden was shown a bat on the first day when he was fifteen. When Rimus (his father's friend) said that the bat was sending out very quiet chirps at that moment, Galden thought he heard very quite sounds coming from the bat. The next thing Rimus showed Galden was a tablet with common messages that are sent with a bat. The training, at that point, was fairly simple. Learning about bats and how to feed them, cleaning up after them, and learning the messages. Galden spent time just sitting, with a bat in his lap, thinking some days.

When he turned thirty, he was taken and shown the bats that the dwarfs use, and also shown the Singspeaking machine. He learned how it worked and after a few years was able to repair some of a broken one. By then he was able to hear the chirps the bats made a little better, but he could barely distinguish between the different sounds. Eventually, Galden learned how to use the machine. He practiced with the machine for 30 more years, learning to use it and repair it.

When Galden was around sixty, he could hear the chirps without the machine. He couldn't translate them yet, but he heard them. This made him study the machine more closely and to what certain sounds meant. He learned more of the machine, enough to build certain parts of it, and learned how to interpret the bat's messages. At first he could only understand a few, but learned more and more over the years.

At age eighty, he was given a bat to train to repeat chirps. This proved quite hard and it took him two years to finally get a bat to repeat him. He also could fix a singspeaking machine, almost as well as a brownie who had just mastered being able to fix a machine. He was well trained and became a respected Singspeaker quickly; even the best Singspeakers were impressed by his ability.

Galden prepared for choosing, but none of the females chose him. His cavern that he made for choosing, was not the best. His skills were in Singspeaking, after all. His cavern was made to the best of his abilities, and after he was finished he was pretty proud of himself. His cavern was just no match for the other dwarfs who were trained in stone working and such. He tried again and again, with no luck. After several years he gave up and Galden had become a "Traveling Bachelor."

At age one hundred and five, Galden asked if he could keep a newly trained bat as his own, as company on his traveling and surprisingly they allowed Galden to. He named the bat Jukuthas, using a part of each of his siblings' names in it. He went above ground and started to travel.

Galden has been traveling ever since, doing shows for what little money he needed. He hates doing this, but he needs money and people were always astounded at his ability to understand bats. He earns enough to buy him and Jukuthas food, drink, and a place to rest.

Weapons: He has no real weapons. He is better at informing the real soldiers on enemy positions if he is needed to.

Belongings: He has
-his clothing
-a pack with some dried food and a waterskin in it
-and a small money pouch.

Familiars: Jukuthas, a flittermouse, has been with Galden for fifteen years. Galden obtained Jukuthas when he became a 'Traveling Bachelor." Galden asked for a bat and they gave him a newly trained one. Jukuthas has soft light brown fur and his wings are a deeper brown. He has no distinguishing marks really but Galden can always pick him out from other bats, maybe because he is a little more chubby than most. Galden feeds him more fattening foods than insects. Jukuthas has created many problems, though Galden has sent him do create them. Jukuthas has flown into many rooms and scared many people. Many a time he has been swatted at with many things, always a near miss.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:24:30 AM by Galden » Logged
Niccoli Faust
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:25:11 AM »

the singspeaking is accomplished more through the use of a device made by brownies and manipulation and training of the bats, hopefully that helps.
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:49:39 AM »

i plan on making Galden one of the few who have learned to interpet the blips without the machine. I relize this will take good explaining.
Niccoli Faust
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:51:31 AM »

It would be much easier if you just left it to the machine, because you do have to be trained from a very early age, and it would have to be listed as an extreme strength. Dwarves don't typically like daylight much to begin with I'd imagine but not important right now. Also, the bats are not used exclusivly for being sent out from the mountains, they could also be used within the mountain chain itself, assuming tunnels were built, and if you're underground night isn't going to matter much anyways.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:58:41 AM by Niccoli Faust » Logged
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

ok there is a finished begining for it. hopefully it provides a good enough reason for his singspeaking. if not i may have him learn more about the machine and less about understanding the blips. perhaps have him build a simple transportable machine to interpret simple messages.
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »

Hello, Galden, and welcome to Santharia!

I have a few things that I would like to comment on.

You realise that your weight is currently at 8 tonnes, 890kg and 317g? You'll need to cut it down a lot. I would also like to see more on the personality section. Does he have a short fuse? What is his definition of serious? Does he have a particular quirk?

Your sight is somewhat unclear. You say that he can't see 2 peds in front of him, but then you say he can see his bat in the night's sky. I'd assume the bat would fly higher than 2 peds. Could you elaborate or make it clearer? Does he have any skill with his belt knife? If so, you'll have to add it as a strength. I have also spotted numerous grammar and spelling mistakes. Please fix them.

Those were all the things I spotted, though I may have missed some as I only took a quick scan. Good luck!

Seh'nara

Simonne Miller
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »

One more thing: could you add some more explanation about the machine in your history? Just for those of us who do not know much about dwarven culture ^.^
Niccoli Faust
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 05:14:15 AM »

Also, the machine may or may not be previously portable, I don't think the brownies would build anything particularly big, it just...doesn't work.
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 05:18:41 AM »

lol yea i suppose it doesn't work quite right for brownies to make big things. I made this last night and tried to quickly find more info on this machine but couldn't i plan on reaserching some more on this machine.

@Seh'nara Wow thanks for pointing that out. didn't notice that or mean for it to be that big.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:21:53 AM by Galden » Logged
Miraran Tehuriden
Flame of Helcrah
Approved Character

Human, Ter'ei'Vikh

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:24:20 AM »

Although it is not mentioned in the entry, flittermice live just as long as terran bats.. which means about 20-25 years. Your bat is at the moment quite elderly!

Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:56:01 AM »

i was afraid of that...ill try to think of a way to make it plausible

EDIT:ok changed him to asking for the bat at age 105, making the bat 15.

@Seh'nara just finished changing spelling and grammar as i saw it. I'm not to good at grammar. And a belt knife is a common dwarf item. They use it to eat mostly, cutting meat and stabbing it to put in their mouth. I don't think it is a stregth since an average dwarf has this skill.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:42:07 AM by Galden » Logged
Rutami Goodmountain
The Iron Mountain
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

i was looking at your strength about his hearing, and what i thought is: every mitharim dwarf is nearly impossible to sneak up on, because they have natural Exquisite hearing... It is stated that an average mitharim dwarf can clearly hear the heartbeat of a being even at a distance, so i think you might want to change your description about this strength a bit, since your current description is suitable for any mitharim dwarf, i suggest you change it to something only a mitharim singspeaker can do. just my 2 cents worth.  :P

p/s: belt knives and eating knives are different, really. belt knife is smth like a spare in case smth needs to be cut, and that includes dirty stuff....i think. while eating knives are especially for eating, which means its dull and it wont cut your mouth. which means, the 'belt knife' you described is actually an eating knife. hope i cleared it up, and yes, i checked it in the dwarves eating habits page. dwarves gotta look out for each other! XD
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:26:26 PM by Rutami Goodmountain » Logged

His pride never wavers.
He is tough as iron.
He is as steady as a mountain.
He is Rutami Goodmountain, the Iron Mountain.

Rutami Goodmountain
Galden
Traveling Bachelor
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »

bumpity bump
and you are compared to a normal Sasntharian peasant and most peasants do not have great hearing.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:55:16 AM by Galden » Logged
Shin
New Santharian

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 01:15:55 AM »

might wanna change the green into a darker color so everyone can see it....
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »

Galden darling, the spell-check is your friend. Throughout the entire CD you have misspelled words, wrong word choices and sentence fragments. Please address these issues before placing the exclamation mark back up, as it stands there are sections that are befuddling.

I Love the originality of this character! I can only express my deep desire to see him in a story and how his unique lifestyle shall be RPed.
~Sincerely~
Co cr'tuulens:Twen Araerwen
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:46:44 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]