Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Characters: Be It Newbies or Secondary Characters  (Read 3094 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« on: December 17, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »

When did getting a CD approved become a right and not a privilege? 

Though I abstain from the CD moderator duties, I do not for one second dismiss the amount of work they put in with reading a veritable plethora of new CD's that come in each week.  It is really a thankless job in the greater scheme of things, and really should be something we could all help with more, myself included.

That being said, I am concerned with the seeming lack of respect for the mods that these new CD's seem to display.  Being just a regular member of the site, I cannot say whether these CD's are mostly newbies or not.  Either way, it should not matter.  However, the disrespectful tone these people are showing the mods should be a concern to everyone. 

Are the mods opinions the only opinions?  No.  But they are charged with trying to keep the standards of this site high as well as uniform.  As a person with 6 different characters, I have had my share of interaction with these mods.  Have I agreed with everything I have been told?  No.  But, was I disrespectful in my disagreements?  Certainly not!  If I disagreed, I supported my ideas with facts from the site, or in some cases, an impassioned plea. 

In the end, if I could not change their minds with my arguments (in a friendly way), then I conceded.  The mods have the last word on who gets approved and who does not.  It was not my place to harangue my way into an approved character.  Somewhere along the line, I think this basic principle has been lost.

If you want to get approved, you need not agree to everything, but you must be polite, and failing to change the mods mind with valid points, concede.  Otherwise, you might as well just delete your post, for if you alienate the mods, your CD will get no attention.

Personally, I would like to see CD's of disrespectful players get deleted after say one warning.  Strong feelings?  Yes, perhaps, but I don't wish to see the site eroded from its high standards that I now feel it has.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:07:48 PM by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Vesk Lyricahl
Woeful Rover
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »

Deleting offending CDs would be extreme in my opinion, otherwise I agree with all that you've said here.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »

Sadly Ario, welcome to the world of being a CD Mod. I can speak from experience - as it is and will always be a 'Thankless' job and there will be people who hate our guts and will argue every little point about their CD - whether they are right or wrong. Nothing we can really do to change it.

The only way the high standards are to be continued is for our Mods to be strong and stand their ground the best they can. The Administration just doesn't pick anyone for these jobs, it takes a very special person(s) to fulfill such a position and complete it at the level at which we desire it to be filled. Again, if any particular person is causing too much trouble - the administration is here to step in and take control of the situation to the best of our ability, yet the Mods have been doing such a good job, our assistance isn't always required ^.~

Thanks for your post <3

And I must agree that deleting CDs is extreme. Perhaps locking, but these are people's writings and not everyone backs up what they write onto their computer. So bad idea overall. Deleting/Censoring isn't something which is part of professionalism, which we try to maintain here.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »

Altario, thank you for the sentiment hun! Although I could go into some lengthy theoretical garbage on this subject. There is only one thing that rings true for me ...... the job of CD-Mod is not thankless or without its rewards. True that some are disrespectful or just down right insulting but those that are not, reward me with every post they make. For every one that has been thankless for the help a CD-Mod gives them, there are dozens that counterbalance. Plus, (speaking for myself) I love the challenge!
~Sincerely~
Cáo cár'tuulenís:Twen Araerwen

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »

Indeed. Helping those accomplish the seemingly impossible (a perfect CD) is a wonderful and fulfilling reward. We all have our bouts with people, human nature, but as long as everyone can look past that and see that we aren't out to get them - its all good ^.^

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
icequeen0192
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »

Thanks for this Alt, God knows I need it...
Luca the Thief
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »

Nicely said!
Tobac
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »

I doubt that many of us would be anywhere without CD mods. I don't like criticism much, but I know I need it. A lot. CD mods are always there with their suggestions, and their help, so just remember: 'What would a CD mod say?' This has been Tobac, with a very short, easily forgotten speech that I wrote while I was about to fall asleep on my keyboard.

Thumb up
Thorgas Ironforge
Ironforge Pyromancer
Mini-mod

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:52 AM »

Thanks Altario. hug That was really kind of you.

A weak mind is a deadly foe.
Thorgas Ironforge
Buri
Thorgas' theme song
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]