Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Roleplaying Magic Skills  (Read 1074 times)
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »

I've been forum RPing for about five years and every site can be different regarding rules with magic. How is magic handled here?

For example, Azhira wants to use her wind magic to pickpocket an NPC. If I attempt to do this, would I automatically succeed? Who determines what I can steal? It's not like I can do a role check or something...lol

Second, what if I want to pickpocket a PC? If I attempt to do so, is it up to the PC victim to determine if I succeed? Do they determine if I get caught? Or does this have to be planned OOC between myself and the other PC?

Third, what determines my success/failure with magic at all? Do I automatically succeed because, well, I want to? Or am I required to be "realistic" and fail from time to time?

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Simonne Miller
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

Mostly, when you pickpocket, the story mod will decide if you are successful. You describe what you do, and the story mod will describe what the NPC notices or does not notice, and what you stole.

Pickpocketing a PC: your best bet would be to arrange it in the OOC, or in PM with the person in question. You *could* try to steal without prior arrangements but then it is the person stolen from who determines what you stole and if you were successful. For example, you couldn't steal a silverbard from someone who didn't *have* a silverbard to begin with ;)

It's basically the same system as fighting - you describe what you do, the other decides what damage he/she takes. We trust the players to be realistic in this, as in all the aspects of roleplaying.

I hope this answers your questions? If you have any more, don't hesitate to ask :)
Laoise Tyrani
Venomous Enchantress
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »

Simonne got there first, but I'm going to post anyway :P

I think it functions like a normal attack - whoever is controlling the victim decides the damage (i.e. the player for a PC or the story mod for an NPC)  I suppose there is less chance of the person avoiding the magic than avoiding a regular blow, but it is still up to them to decide how hard they were hit or if they noticed you stealing.  Both of you are required to be realistic, and story moderators are around to make things run smoothly.  Asking the person first does simplify things, but sometimes it's fun to see how the other reacts when you spring something like that on them  evil

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »

See, I am used to simply performing an attack or using magic on a PC without any OOC planning. This makes for some better reactions and surprises. It also creates tension as I wonder if I succeed or not! Will they notice? Will I be caught? If I am caught, I have to be quick and RP a way to escape...or, I can be happy that I got away with it.

Problem with this method is that some players NEVER want to be a victim. They always catch that sneak attack, always see the thief lurking about and never are surprised. That ruins the fun. Having to plan OOC takes away the surprise factor, but I can also understand that no one wants to have their prized possessions stolen.

I would be realistic, of course. I would give any PC a chance to "see it coming" before I do anything. Walking down a dark alley? Expect something to happen. Walking amidst a crowd in broad daylight? Don't expect anything. I won't be silly and try to pickpocket or sneak around if the environment is not conducive to such things. And, I won't go for your prized gem encrusted dagger...but if you happen to have a coin purse hanging on your belt within easy reach, don't be surprised if it gets snatched!

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Simonne Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »

About that, *most* players in FD, and even very many in all the stories, are experienced enough to not see the thief coming every now and then. Yes, there are always those who *always* see it coming and are never surprised, but for the most part we have realistic players. If we do get a character who's never the victim, the story mod steps in and asks to at least be a victim every once in a while. So there shouldn't be really a problem with you trying to steal without OOC arrangements :) If you feel that someone is godmodding, you can always notify the mods ^.^
Kalna Dal'isyrs
Dal'isyrs
Mini-mod

High Elf, Karrhem

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:54:28 AM »

yep! If someone is over playing their character to the point of "the perfect being", definitely give the Mods a heads up if they haven't noticed yet.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »

The most powerful thing any player can bring to bear against another player is great writing skills. Doesn't matter if it is magic, swordplay, theft or just a verbal joust nothing inspires another player to play along like a well written post. Most players on the site respect other players for their imagination and creative styles. Nothing will turn another player against playing along with a little excitement quite like, poor responses to their detailed posts.

Even the most "plain" peasant character will find others willing to play along with powerful expressive posts.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:05:54 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Pikel Thunderstone
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

The most powerful thing any player can bring to bear against another player is great writing skills.

Hence why I fight unarmed.

cry
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »

Oh yes Pikey! Your writing skills are sooo bad that they gained you the title of "Druidic Master" ~rolls eyes~

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]