Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: !!!!Spring Cleaning!!!!  (Read 4636 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« on: April 02, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »

Alrighty here guys,

It has been awhile since a discussion like this has graced the boards, but oh so enjoy your input and little bits of minion wisdom. Mina and I had a small discussion about the Home Threads, and their lack of activity. This got me thinking above and beyond the Home Threads and about their purpose. Their purpose was to serve as a similar refuge as the Thirsty Herald, a place for freshly titled players to get into the groove of Role Playing with people if there were no open stories or they needed to get their feet wet before delving deep into the Santharian atmosphere. Along the lines, I feel this has been lost and many things have died in the process. I, with Mina, will be talking about some things and processes we can revamp to really revitalize this board and really bring it to its once former glory! BUT! We can't do it alone and we will need your guys' help with this.

Over the next week or so, you may see things moving around, disappearing, new categories popping up and new colors being paraded by people. This is all part of the process and I hope you will all bear with us as we make some transitions along the way. Keep checking with me or Mina for any updates as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:27:16 AM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

I will start by encouraging people to create new stories! It doesn't have to be anything huge like a Voldar (I don't know how Capher does it...). New stories will keep this place hopping. Retire the inactive stories, or perhaps get some fresh mods for them. In any case, new and fresh stories will keep players active, new CDs appearing and new players interested.  Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »

Hmmm, thoughts about the Home Threads...

1) It's very hard to actually have a reason for your character to visit the house, or know where it is in the first place.  How about encoraging people to make their own shops/small bars/eateries/breweries/temples....somewhere a character would want to go for another reason than knowing the homeowner, and might be helpful in moving a char's storyline along too.

2) People make characters who travel around so that they can enter any story. So most characters just don't have a home.  But the solution in 1) might help this too - the character might only be running the shop/business/temple etc temporarily, earning a bit of money.

3)All the action is dependant on one person and when that person isn't there to move it forward....it just doesn't.  Again, the previous idea might help this - serveal people could work at a business and people could make them together if they wished.

4) Inactive Home Thread mods doesn't help with enthusiasm unfortunately.  Can't we encourage everyone to comment on them like in the CD forum?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:15:28 PM by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Eleyra Avennian
Pretty Poppetmaker
Approved Character

Elf, Aeolrhan

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »

I agree with Rookie (in general, but more specifically the first point). Santharia seems to be made almost exclusively of wanderers/adventurers or NPC to fill in whatever common person's role is needed. Aside from the few who work at the Thirsty Herald, there really isn't much opportunity to play more domestic characters (granted, such an opportunity isn't exactly being demanded by the steady stream of mages/warriors/etc being created). I have a couple characters that are just begging to be created that would only be playable as shopkeepers and bakers.

The problem, as we've seen with the Home Threads, is interest. While technically every player on the board needs supplies for all these adventures, would anyone really stop in and purchase them? And would the shopkeepers be devoted enough to handle such a low-key job without dropping off as well?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:30:34 PM by Eleyra Avennian » Logged

Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »

I agree with Rookie (in general, but more specifically the first point).

Woot!  :D

The problem, as we've seen with the Home Threads, is interest. While technically every player on the board needs supplies for all these adventures, would anyone really stop in and purchase them? And would the shopkeepers be devoted enough to handle such a low-key job without dropping off as well?

Well, it depends on what exactly you sold and how much you got into the character.  I can't really see that many people jumping to own a vegetable shop, but an armoury or a tailoresses is something else.  A carpenter?  A jewelery-maker? How about working in a temple and trying to convert anyone who enters to your faith?  LOL Getting someone to buy something expensive is a form of persuasion - definately a challenge whilst trying to stay in character too. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:52:07 PM by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Luca the Thief
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »

I think a big issue with the Home Threads can be largely attributed to character chemistry. Talk is cheap. What I mean is, yeah roleplaying a conversation can take many forms and pique many interests, but in the end I think everybody wants to, you know, do something. I think a big mistake people make with home threads (and often time tavern type stories) is a lack of the big picture; they forget to go beyond replying and keeping it alive. I think what we need to do with the home threads is to encourage mods to choose a character that will set off some unique and interesting dynamics or to have some kind of underlying issue/problem/story in mind. I love writing about the minutae of everyday life sometimes, but something about this does not catch my fancy:

"Hello"
"Good day"
"What do you have for sale?"
"Some armor. And that cat."
"Oh."
"Would you like some tea?"
"Yes please"
"Nice day today"
"Indubitably"

etc
etc
etc
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

Great feedback guys!

The home threads were initially just a test from the get go. Nothing solid on the boards. It is obvious there really isn't any interest there and there most likely will not be in the near future. I will go ahead and set up a Board poll in whether they are really worth keeping (so people who don't give "feedback" can still give something).

If we don't keep the Home Threads, we should really use the elimination of them to push people to create new stories or even taverns to RP in.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Luca the Thief
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »

I'm also thinking of proposing that we ask for more mods per story. Right now, according to the threads set in place to act as guides, one mod is required (duh) and a co-mod is recommended. I think a co-mod should be required, and we should advise people to look to have three or even four mods in a story. It can seem excessive, but looking at our board's track record, it's not unreasonable.

Also, what's up with the multiple stories/threads/groups per story fad? Maybe it's just me, but this just seems like a cumbersome detail and it makes it hard for mods. Point in case: Twilight. Moderation has been turned over to myself and Twen. Vesk, the original mod, was straddling both threads (which is strain on anybody) but now that link is gone. Even though Twen and I were co-mods, there was no appeal to reading the thread we weren't directly involved in. As a result, there is this awkward fumbling for "So, what's going on over there?" right now. I'm not pointing any fingers, it's just the most obvious example to come to mind. I'm not saying that we should eliminate the ability to run multiple threads parallel to each other, but I think it would be wise to advise against it and insist on ideal mod numbers to handle it.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »

At first I was slightly confused what you were talking about, but I see now. I don't know, but I think it has a lot to do with how the story is setup and the like. We can definitely advise against this in the future, especially if we feel the mods aren't necessarily up to having to deal with multiple threads, unless you have a decent number of mods to run the story as a whole.

So, minimum number of mods is 2? More recommended? Makes sense. More people seem to be working together with stories as they should from the get go. :)

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »

I suppose Luca that creating Voldar and adding Nyermersys was and is a daunting task, however when I created the story I saw a need for new players and more experienced ones that were just sitting around; bored. So that is why I decided to create Voldar.  In retrospect, I probably took on more than I could handle, if it were not for the great co-mods I had working with me.

So, that being said, I agree with you that the minimum number of mods should be two and more definately recommended. I also agree with Azhira that more stories should be created but smaller types, like TH.

I would also like to recommend that somehow we try and find a way to encourage more people to the RP site. I see many characters on the site, but most are controlled by those already here.

The home threads, never did appeal to me, however the idea of creating characters like shopkeepers/blacksmiths/tailors and seamstresses do appeal to me. I wish I had some of those characters in Voldar. There should be some sort of requirement for each story to have these characters for each character whether it be a mage/warrior/etc...needs those items and should pay for them.  And while I am on the subject and I am at fault as well in Voldar, I think that characters that can just walk in and pay for food/lodging...etc without really having a job or money to pay for such things is unrealistic...if there was some sort of standardized way of having characters earn money/how much they earned/ how much they spent and how much they have left it would cause I believe more interest in those shops especially if the characters could either barter for the goods, or even work for them.

I suppose each creator of each story should probalby have the option if they want do that; but if we, all of us agree and create a realistic way to make money, have money, spend money we would not have characters throwing around silver bards, gold bards, and even precious jewels like they were the most common things to have!

Even taking into account that Caelereth is a world with magic in it, it is still based somewhat on a medievil age. Common people mostly fed themselves by their own hands. Those who owned shops sold things they either made or bought from other shop owners. Their were trade routes. Even so called "Nobles" unless they were extremely rich did not throw around gold bards very easily.  I would think that thrty sans would be a months wages for most.

I am probably beating this horse to death but I think you have the idea by now. I think I will try and do what I have suggested here in Voldar and see what happens.

Just a side thought; with all of the rigorous details of how a character created should be; I think that if you create a character such as the ones we have been discussing that the rules should be relaxed a bit. I mean how many shopkeepers do you know that carry and know how to use weapons, except maybe a club or a daggar, and even then probably not very well, unless of course like take a blacksmith, who once was a warrior, but retired and decided to become one...something like that character could be very interesting especially if you add some sort of sub-plot for him.

I talk too much....lol, Forgive me.
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »

I think that if you create a character such as the ones we have been discussing that the rules should be relaxed a bit. I mean how many shopkeepers do you know that carry and know how to use weapons, except maybe a club or a daggar, and even then probably not very well, unless of course like take a blacksmith, who once was a warrior, but retired and decided to become one...something like that character could be very interesting especially if you add some sort of sub-plot for him.
It's not a rule that characters have to be trained in combat, is it?  Those sorts of characters just seem to be quite popular. 

Simonne Miller
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »

Hmm, the problem with the money - and I'm only talking for myself here, I don't know about others - is that I grow bored of that very easily. It's enough of a hassle to get money-matters in order in real life, I don't want to bother with keeping track how much I have, spend, and earn in roleplaying games. I try to keep the amounts of money that I let my character have be reasonable, but I'm not going to bother with detailing the *exact* amount of sans and other coins they have.

Besides, have you really seen so many people throw away gold and silver bards? The only instance of that that I've seen lately was in the story in Voldar involving Jituska, and I left it specifically to you to decide how much she'd stolen from the rich person. Otherwise, I have not seen anyone writing that their character has tons and tons of gold in his or her purse.

About getting more people to the site: I can guarantee, in my duty as a CD-mod, that there are many new people creating CD's, if not daily then at least a few every week. The problem is not getting people to come to the site, it's getting them to stay here. Unfortunately, many of these new people try, don't get what they want within days, and leave again. Every now and again there's a treasure of a new person who sticks around, but convincing people to come to the site will, I fear, mean a *very* big increase in the first type of player, and only a small increase in the second type. But that's only my humble opinion, of course... ^.^
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »

Well, regarding money, I think another problem is we don't really know how much things are worth yet, unless I'm mistaken and that dev project achieved more than I remember it did. 

Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »

No, Arti pointed out to me a week or so ago that my bead prices were a little precise seeing as we still didn't have a price list  buck

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 11:46:31 PM »

I agree with Simonne...new players are coming all the time...but it's the process of getting approval to play is what I think tends to turn them off. This isn't Gaia where rabid ninja half-demon elves run amok. Santh is serious and demands a certain kind of skill and persistence to pay off. Most kids nowadays have such short attention spans that they won't stick around long if they can't get up and playing in a matter of days.

Secondly, one thing I want to see more of, and now with our new mini-mods this is possible, is more praise in our critiques. As a newbie on the Dev board, the one thing that kept me going was Arti's masterful comments that made me feel good with his praises and at the same time he pointed out my errors. I never felt stupid or talked down to. I say we on the CD mod team take this to heart and praise new CDs for their efforts while also helping them with their opportunities in a nice, easy way.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]