Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Temple of the Old Gods  (Read 2938 times)
Khel
Unbound Rogue
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« on: May 14, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »

The temple of the old gods is large stone temple, and several gates lead into it. A wall, several Peds high, encircles the main structure. There is not a closed gate on each wall, but rather several open archways leading into the courtyard from every direction. Once in the courtyard, the foliage has not been groomed, pruned, or kept up but has rather withered with the constant winter. Snow coats the ground, but walkways have been swept and lead up to the temple entrances.

On all sides there is an entrance, but the main door faces to the East (the King’s Tower stands directly behind it) and a large door leads into the main temple area. People are seen using the yard to cut through to the next street, or to simply gaze on the images of the old gods displayed here.

Inside, the front room is large, with lit torches along the walls to give a warm yet eerie glow, and used mainly for worship. An alter stands in the front of the room, directly across from the main entrance. Karikrimson curtains lead to rooms on the left and right of the main area. These are smaller meeting or worshiping rooms. Behind the alter, curtains open to a larger living area for the keeper of the temple.

The temple is simple, with few rugs and pillows scattered about, but mostly forgotten by anyone above the working citizens of Remusiat. Those faithful can be seen praying to the gods, lighting candles, giving money offerings, burning scents or sprinkling perfume to honor them. An open area of worship, it is usually quiet but with a tense, restless air. Most who come here are aware of the temple devoted to Kor’och not far away and resent it, maintaining this was the first temple and it resides in the true shadow of the King’s will for Remusiat.

..tell me your heart doesn't race for a hurricane or a burning building. -asw
Your pal, Khel
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »

Assuming that the elderly man followed her, Toama made her way under one of the archways and on into the building itself, after a quick glance towards the imposing tower that she could see from there. As soon as she entered, she felt warmth surrounding her - good, she was out of that cold snow here, and anything without wind was bound to be warmer than outside.

She entered the front room a bit further, the woman still lying prone in her arms. A quick scan of the room showed her that there was nobody here. She stood still for a moment, wondering what she should do - go further in? Stay here? She wasn't sure, so to gain some time she went over to the pillows, pushed them together with a booted foot, and carefully lowered the woman onto them. Then she withdrew her arms from under the barmaid, glad of the rest. She took the woman's hand in her own for a moment and looked up at the man. "We need findink someone for help." she said.

She wondered what was going to happen next, once the woman had been helped. Would she be able to find Azhira again? She wanted to talk to her fellow Sand Sister, find out what had happened to her these past few years. But that was for later; like she'd said, they needed to find someone first who could help the woman. After that, she would see what happened.

Zann Lightbringer
Blessed Healer
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »

Zann kept up with the woman despite the pain on his legs due to the unaccustomed exertion of walking over long distances. After several moments of trudging through snow, they finally arrived at the stone building. The priest stared at the temple, wondering why on earth should these people worship unknown gods. He followed the woman past some magnificent arches before finally arriving at one of the rooms.

"We need findink someone for help." The woman said once she had laid the barmaid on the pillows. The priest stared at her for a short time. Don't look at me, I'm not about to associate myself with these pagan worshippers. He thought to himself. But if he would not help the poor girl, then who would?

"Nehtor can help her! We don't have to bring her to this pagan temple!" Zann felt like blurting out to the woman. Deep inside he was infuriated at the barkeep for sending this poor soul to an unknown temple instead of letting him honor Nehtor by healing the barmaid. However the priest doesn't want to get on the bad side of the city's citizens. It might cost him his life.

"Perhaps we can find someone in this... place that can tend to this woman's needs?" The old man said. After all, people would not build such a grand place for decoration only. Or maybe they would, considering the fact that they are all weird. Zann leaned against the wall and breathed heavily, expecting a devotee of the temple to show up any moment.

Show me a man who walks into a sick tent with no thought of his own health and I'll show you a brave man.
Zann Lightbringer, servant of Nehtor.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »

The closer he came to the temple, the better Brem began to feel.  The gods would care for him, nurture him.  They always had.  The faithful had nothing to fear.  Ahead, the temple came into view, though temple may well have been a misnomer.  It was just a building, a place to revere the gods.  His gods, the old gods, did not need houses of worship.  They were everywhere; to be worshipped everywhere.  Still, the few people left in Remusiat who continued to revere the true gods seemed to need a place to gather.  It was a sign of weakness, but one that he could accept, as long as the gods were venerated.

Ahead, he thought he could make out figures in the dim light.  It took only a moment to see that the two were not Remusian.  A scowl crossed his features in the frigid night air.  What did they want?   He scowled again.  No, there were not only two people, as the female was carrying another in her arms.  This took Brem a little by surprise.  What was going on here?  He quickened his pace as much as his portly frame would allow.  As he neared the temple, the three people disappeared inside.  Silently he cursed.

Brem entered the building and saw the three people.  They were the only ones here, which came as no great surprise to him.  If this place ever had worshippers, it was usually during daylight hours.  Though distrustful of the strangers, he looked with concern to the girl on the floor, made comfortable by the down filled pinnip pillows.  Silently he knelt by her and felt her face.  She was flushed.  His turned his face upward to stare at the two. "What happened to this girl?"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:47:18 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Zann Lightbringer
Blessed Healer
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:13:54 AM »

Zann looked at the newcomer, a man who seemed to be one of the caretakers of the temple. He approached them with a sullen look on his face, as if he and the other woman were intruding into his territory. Considering the fact that they were foreigners and the priest himself doesn't worship their gods, he may be right. Well, let him pout all day long! Zann thought to himself. He'll gladly go away from this accursed place if the stranger decides to throw them out.

Silently the old man watched as the devotee kneeled close to the girl and examined her. He busied himself with looking around the place, admiring the way these ignorant people did to the temple. Elaborate candles, mysterious statues, how he wished the citizens should have devoted their resources to building a grand temple to Nehtor instead!

"What happened to this girl?" Inquired the man. Because Zann was the one who found the girl in front of his door, he felt that he should be the one to speak first. Besides, his companion can't speak proper Tharian. He moved himself from his current position and cleared his throat. "I found her unconscious in front of my room. I wasn't able to examine her, for her employer thought it better to bring her to this temple. Can you restore her?"

Show me a man who walks into a sick tent with no thought of his own health and I'll show you a brave man.
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »

Brem scowled, and returned his attention to the girl, softly tracing the outline of her round features with the back of his hand.  "I can not do anything for this girl.  It is the gods that control her fate."

Once more he looked to the two strangers.  "What is her name?"

Without waiting for an answer, Brem reached to his neck and pulled forth from his cowl a small leather amulet that he carried there.  It was quite non descript, with no tooling, no embroidery, nothing to set it apart from being nothing more than a small leather pouch affixed to a thick leather cord that wrapped itself around his burly neck.  He gently, reverently, brough the amulet to his lips, where he kissed it softly.  Closing his eyes, focusing on the amulet, his lips barely moved as he uttered a small prayer under his breath to Nechya, asking her to show her mercy to one of her children.  It was her power that would be needed now in order to save this girl.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Zann Lightbringer
Blessed Healer
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

"I don't know her name. I'm just a traveller staying at an inn, where she is employed," Zann replied to the man. He felt so pressured at the thought of being made to answer all of the man's queries. He looked at the woman with him. She stood there quietly, observing the area. Perhaps it is best to let him do all the talking. There's no telling what the devotee would say if the woman started talking in halting Tharian.

Silently the cleric watched as the other priest pulled out a leather amulet from deep within his robes. He kissed is reverently and held it out to the girl, uttering a prayer for the barmaid's well-being. Zann took out the metal amulet he wore and held it in both hands; perhaps the clerics in this town were no different than him. He closed his eyes and breathed a prayer to Nehtor, asking him to cure this girl of her illness. This being done, he placed it back under the folds of his priestly garments.

"Pardon my interruption," The priest inquired. "Shall we leave her here in the temple?"

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:21 AM »

Brem knelt closely to the still unconscious girl, where he had been all night.  Clutched in his hand was Nechya's Rope, the small leather pouch that he kept on a cord around his neck.  In his mind, his prayer to Nechya kept repeating itself, as he willed the goddess to heal this child.

As he rocked back and forth, he became aware of a presence in the room.  He opened his eyes from having them closed in prayer, and looked about the temple, but could see no one.  Still, the presence was there.  Near.  He looked quickly to the girl, and satisfied she was ok, stood up.  He began to quickly explore the temple, but there was no one to be found.

Still, that presence was there, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand on edge.  "Who's there?"  he whispered, loudly.

"You know who, Cleric."

Brem nearly jumped out of his skin at the disembodied voice that seemed to come from all directions at once.  "N-no, I don't.  Show yourself."

"You know me."

Brem shook his head.  How could he know who this was when he couldn't see them?  "I don't."  It was then that a small ivory carved figurine of a white bear fell off the pedastal in the far corner of the temple.  Brem walked over towards it, his eyes darting to and fro to see anyone who might be hiding there, but there was nothing. He tenderly picked up the small ornament to Zundefor, the god of land animals, that often took the form of a white bear-  Brem nearly dropped the figurine, as a cold fear spread through him.  "You!"

"Yes, good.  Now you understand."

Eyes opened wide, Brem stared up to the ceiling, not entirely sure why, though it seemed more appropriate when talking to a god.  "What have I done to deserve your presence, oh great Zundefor?"

"You hold the key, Brem Surrimaan.  Your heart is pure, your belief is strong."

"Yes, oh yes, my god.  I do believe, I have always believed, even when other's did not."  Brem's eyes filled with tears and his head was nodding vigorously.

"Exactly why I have chosen you Brem Surrimaan."

One eyebrow raised quizically.  "Chosen me for what?"

"You shall be our instrument of wrath, Brem Surrimaan.  You shall be the harbinger of death.  The one who gathers them back on the path of righteousness."

Brem's eyes lit up.  He knew it!  The gods were displeased.  He alone had seen this coming.  He knew that they were going to call on him.  Something deep inside knew that this day would come.  "Anything, my god.  Anything you need of me, just ask and I shall do."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:49:05 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]