Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ancianá Silarná'yráná/Jhehellrhim Elf/Rogue or Wanderer  (Read 9469 times)
Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »

Ooo Eleyr, that's a good idea. I often have problems myself coming up with a reasonable weight. Never thought to check body mass.  Brilliant! ;)

For the drink - Dwarven Ale is often avaliable among humans, although probably not so much among elves.  That's stronger than average.  Or simply saying wine would work.  Scrumple is a spirit made from apples which is really powerful.

I have never seen the word "Dirk" used around here, so I'm just a bit iffy about using it.  I'm sure they have very similar weapons, I'm just not sure they would use that word.  If that makes sense.  A dirk is a scottish weapon, wider and larger than a dagger.  It was used in combination with small buckler shield, and held point-up in the hand, stabbing upwards.  (I did some research when I wanted to use something similar for one of my characters).

Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »

Well, it is mentioned briefly in the Swords of Caelereth entry, but the description seems different there from Rookie's little thingy:

A special type of dagger is known as the Dirk. It is longer and slimmer than the dagger, and often has a wavy blade. It is common to see necromancers and other practitioners of dark rituals using the Dirk as a sacrificial blade. The Dirk has an exceedingly sharp tip, but this makes it far less durable and poor at slashing. Dirks also rarely have hilts.

Those who say only Insanity can bring true relaxation...
Have clearly never hired a Mindsmoother!

Eléyr's CD ~¤•¤~ Character Creation ~¤•¤~ Restrictions ~¤•¤~ CD Etiquette
Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »

You see, I would call that a Keris or Kris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris LOL

I guess, go with what you like, I don't really know enough about weapons to say anything :P.

Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:18 AM »

Ooooh. See, I learned of the dirk reading Brian Jacques's Redwall series when I was 11 and automatically assumed that it was the same here. Oops... grin That's what jumping to conclusions will do for you... Sorry! I'll just change it to dagger.

Rookie- Thanks for the spirits suggestion, Rookie! I'll probably just insert your apple liquor suggestion, if you don't mind... :)

Eleyr- About the phsyical calculations... I am completely, utterly, and hopelessly confused. (I never was good with numbers... Not that it's an excuse, but nevertheless...) I would much rather describe her or compare her to things than try to (inaccurately) figure it out in measures (any measures, for that matter). I would like her to be stocky, but not overweight... Short, but not dwarven... (Hem hem, you were right, 2 ft is definately not what I had in mind...) I have no definate numbers in my mind. I cry out to you all- help!

Silmarwen- Thank you for pointing the history details out! Worship Don't know how I neglected that, you were right on the money! Hope it's better now... grin

Again, I thank you all and await your replies!

Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 02:06:09 AM »

Alright, without the terminology, here's the measures that should match the build you suggest.

Height~ 1 ped, 1 fore, 2 palmspans

Weight~ 108 ods

So that should be shorter than the average woman (yet taller than the average dward LOL), muscular and stocky, but not considered overweight.

Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 02:15:51 AM »

Oh thank you, you brilliant person you! Eleyr, you're a lifesaver. You have saved me from any further embarrassment regarding those two sections. Thanks! ...So I'll just get off and stop jabbering and making a fool of myself. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:23:00 AM by Ancianá Silarná'yráná » Logged

Rookie Brownbark
Skydiver
Mini-mod

Brownie, Llaoihrr

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »

Name
Ancianá Silarná'yráná (means "Silence Moon-Rose" in Styrásh-Tharian)

381 in elven years; looks to be about 32 human years

Race
Jhehellrhim ("Rebel Elves")

Occupation
Finds whatever work she can; often hunts.

Title
Rogue (personally I would try and think of another adjective to describe what type of Rogue she is.)

Overview
The world is a shadowy place with scattered spots of happiness. Ancianá does not truly trust anyone, but given the chance she will slowly warm up to people she meets.  (This could also do with another sentence or two – it is supposed to give anyone looking at your CD a very quick idea of who your character is.  I don’t think her personality is the only unusual thing about her ;))

Appearance
Height- 1 ped, 1 fore, 2 palmspans

Weight- 108 ods  (Could you change this to hebs, pygges and ods?)

(Left out a few sections as I had no comments there)

Strengths
Skill with weapons- Ancianá is excellent with both the dagger and the bow, but her specialty is the latter, partly as a result of her hunting.

Swiftness- Ancianá possesses speed and litheness that belies her stocky stance, often catching others off-guard.

Climbing- Ancianá has great climbing skills from her tribe days in the forest, which has helped her to get out of tight situations when her blade couldn't.

(Could you flesh these out as I suggested in my last comments – we usually ask for 2-3 good sentences on how they help her)

Weaknesses
Spirits- Ancianá cannot stop downing pretty much any alcoholic beverage after a couple of drinks. This, of course, is a very bad weakness for a rogue to have, as it loosens her tongue and makes her mind and memories fuzzy, in addition to a bad... em... let's say a bad experience when she wakes up. As a result, she tries to stick to cider, but that doesn't really improve her "tough" image with some people. Enough said.

No left eye- The loss of her left eye does not permit Ancianá to see on her left  side, which obviously will account for scars on the left side of her body. As a result Ancianá does not like it when anyone -be it friend or foe- comes up on her left side, and is very protective of it, as she views it as her weaker side.

Little patience- Ancianá is quick to grow angry. Thus she is no good at long or complicated negotiations or the like.

History
Ancianá lived in the Istarin forest, until her family and home was destroyed during a skirmish between her tribe and a band of human bandits. (why did the humans attack them?) During the battle, she was captured by a bandit who cruelly chopped off the pointed tip of her right ear with his blade when she struggled. Due to the bravery of her father and brothers, (who died later along with the rest of her family) she was freed, but the severed part of her ear never grew back. Ancianá, mortified and greatly befuddled in the melee, tried to find her way to her family's home, which was at the front of her village, opposite of the battle, which was engaging at near the back- but steadily working its way into the heart of the village. The poor elf maiden's sense of direction, however, was as twisted and confused as she was, and she ended up on the outskirts of the forest. After a long fit of well-deserved crying, Ancianá (who was terrified, confused, exhausted, and dazed, among a blend of emotions) subsided into sleep. After a short period of shock and grief, (about a week, to say the least) she came to her senses and foraged for food, half of which she devoured upon finding, being starved. With her new supplies she made her way back to her village.

Upon reaching the poor place, Ancianá discovered that the bandits had set fire to the village after pillaging it. She found no other former inhabitants- if there were any survivors, they had moved on by then. Ancianá salvaged what she could from her the wreckage of her home- namely her father's bow, which the bandits had somehow overlooked.

(Hmmm.  As you can probably understand, we have a policy of not allowing CD writers to change the course of history for the sake of their character.  I’m not entirely sure if destroying this secluded village counts, so I’ve asked the other mods for their thoughts.  I’ll let you know what we decide :))

Up until the battle, Ancianá pretty much lived a normal Jhehellrhim elf life. (She was taught by her father to use the bow and to hunt.) Her personality, however, changed a bit after the battle. A quiet girl already, the death of her family gave her a slightly darker, sadder outlook on things.

After her home and family were destroyed, rather than remain with the other elves, like so many other waifs Ancianá decided to strike out and make a living outside of the Istarin forest, taking her father's bow, quiver, and arrows. Thus she came upon the town of Cavthan. Soon after her arrival a group of cruel and drunken men, seeking fun, decided to pursue Ancianá. Young, naive, confused, and terrified, Ancianá attempted to flee. Abruptly the men's moods changed to anger, a result of their intoxication, and they began stoning her. One stone hit her eye, thereupon ruining its function (Ancianá later fashioned a brown patch of sorts to hide it), whereupon she took to alleyways until she was out of Cavthan, then traveling to an unravaged part of the Istarin forest to heal.

After this Ancianá thought it beneficial to learn to use another weapon- a blade, to be specific. In her travels she was able to purchase an ordinary dagger with the money she was paid for hunting. She also paid the seller to teach her rudimentary close-range fighting with her dagger. Gradually she progressed beyond the ability of her "teacher" (whereupon she, naturally, stopped having him teach her), then moving on in her wandering.

In another town Ancianá was forced to take shelter in a stable that night, having no money to pay for lodging in a tavern or inn. Sometime during the evening a young, brash woman entered the humble establishment with her stubborn horse, (who was, obviously to Ancianá, resisting because his mistress treated him so cruelly) thrashing him with a branch. He was a beautiful stallion- a base of light grey, sprinkled with a dose of darker grey on his frontside (withers?) and upper back, more heavily spotted in the hindquarters and back legs. Observing this cruel scene from her hiding place in the loft, Ancianá (who was instilled with a love of animals from her life in the forest) could not quell the indignant feeling that rose up inside her. Finally the woman left and Ancianá (who, again, had a painful lack of money) felt the need to steal the horse. That she did, that night, and promptly took flight from the town with her stolen boon.

Ancianá drifts between towns, cities, nations, and seeking work, but never returning to the town where she lost her eye and the forest where she lost her former life.

(Much better :D)

Weapons
-Dagger
-Elven bow, quiver, and arrows

Note: Ancianá always keeps all of her weapons in easy reach, blade in a belt and scabbard at her hips, bow over her shoulder, quiver slung over her back.

BELONGINGS
-Leather belt studded with jade
-Flask
-Rope
-Knapsack
-Leather armor (which she mostly keeps in a cloth bag)

Familiar
Avásh (name means "wind, air" in Styrásh)
Avásh is Ancianá's steed, half Rusik and half Centoraurian. He is a male dappled grey- a base of light grey with dark grey blotched over it, mostly heavily dappled on his hindquarters and back legs, more lightly on his front legs- like a light drizzle. Also on his hindquarters are scars- marks from a past owner who beat him.

Avásh can be willful at times, but in general he is an amiable animal, willing to do whatever Ancianá asks. He is the one that his mistress trusts the most; they share a very close relationship. He loves her because she saved him from a cruel mistress. Because Ancianá has no one else to care for, she spoils Avásh when she can afford to- he is her family now.

Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 04:33:35 AM »

Okay... Thank you again! I hope it's good. I tried! grin

Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

Hey Ancianá! The mods have discussed it out, and we'd ask you to remove the destroying of the village from your history section for several reasons~

1~ The Jhehellerhim are all hidden away in their forest, with great fortifications etc. in their natural habitat. This puts the human bandits at a natural disadvantage.

2~ The Jhehellerhim aren't exactly a 'push-over' tribe. They consist of fierce warriors, so we find it unlikely that a village of theirs will be trumped by a small group of bandits. Even peasants can 'defend' themselves if they use farming tools and whatever against the bandits, if the citizens are helping each other.

3~ The main reason for attacking a village is for resources or slaves. Why would the bandits be attacking a secluded village, deep in the woods, who are known for their war skills? The area in question is not exactly lacking in resources and slavery is strictly forbidden, there seems little motivation for the bandits to attack.

So, the Mods have decided that the village thing won't really work. Hope that doesn't dent your CD to bad... :)

Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »

Ok, I do believe that I've fixed up most of my CD! Thanks for the comments, past and future. (Hope the forest fire thing works...)

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »

Hiya Ancianá.  I'll just commet on your new history, and any spelling mistakes I see.

The loss of her left eye does not permit Ancianá to see on her left (delete 2nd space) side, which obviously will account for scars on the left side of her body.

She does not often stand up for herself or other people, which sometimes makes her seem cowardly or unloyal (I don’t’ think this is actually a word).

Ancianá lived in the Istarin forest, until her family and home was destroyed during a huge forest fire during her late youth. Was the fire just their house, or the whole village? It had spread from roughly the center of the forest to the western, where the small village she lived in existed. Ancianá's parents and two brothers attempted to put out the fire with the other grown elves, while she and her sister were told to flee the small village. Unless the whole village was on fire why would they flee?  Surely it would be safer just to go to the other side of the village.  If there is a forest fire, why would it be better to go into the forest? In the confusion they were separated. As her sense was as twisted and as befuddled as (delete 2nd space) she was, nightfall found Ancianá somewhere in the east side of the Istarin forest. Could she really walk that far? She is young, scared and there isn’t much time. After a long fit of well-deserved crying, Ancianá (who was terrified, confused, exhausted, and dazed, among a blend of emotions) subsided into sleep. After a short period of shock and grief, (about a week, to say the least) she came to her senses and foraged for food, half of which she devoured upon finding, being starved. She was without food and water for a week? With her new supplies she made her way back to the blackened village. Wasn’t she lost?

Upon reaching the poor place, Ancianá discovered most of the village in cinders. Okay so it was the whole village.  This may cause the same problem as before.  I’ll discuss it with the mods. ;) She found no other former inhabitants- if there were any survivors, they had moved on by then. Ancianá salvaged what she could from her the wreckage of her home- namely her father's bow. She then embarked on a search for her family, first looking in the other areas of the Istarin forest. Having no success, she moved on- though not with out some tears.

One stone hit her eye, thereupon ruining its function (Ancianá later fashioned a brown patch of sorts to hide it), whereupon she took to alleyways until she was out of Cavthan, then traveling to an unravaged (I don’t think this is actually a word) part of the Istarin forest to recover in peace.

I'll be back with the mods answer.

Mannix
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:15:34 PM by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Mannix Vaelos ~ Character Creation Help ~ FAQs ~ Restrictions
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 03:09:35 AM »

Hi Anciana. I am changing your icon back to the pencil work in progress for now. Mannix will address the issues with the forest fire with you soon. Assess his comments and change back to the exclamation for more comment.

I think you're almost there!  cool

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:36 AM »

Thanks, Mannix and Azhira! My, uh, logic doesn't seem to be working properly when it comes to Anci's CD... Thanks again; Ill be working on it.

Ancianá Silarná'yráná
Pensive drifter
Approved Character

Elf, Jhehellrhim

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 04:26:29 AM »

'K, I think I'm done for now!

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

Sorry I took so long Ancianá.  I've discussed it with a few people, and we think it is best if you downsize the fire.  It seems you have hinted at quite a large fire, which would definitely be noted by historians if it happened.  It would be best it you have a small settlement with a small fire.  The Jhehellrhim are known for small settlements so it seems quite possible that a small settlement could be destroyed by a fire.  Perhaps consider what an accident, eg. a child playing with fire, starting the fire.  As long as you keep the settlement small, and the fire only affecting that settlement it should be okay.  Good Luck.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Mannix Vaelos ~ Character Creation Help ~ FAQs ~ Restrictions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]