Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lenwë Carnesîr - Eyelian/Helmondsshire Halfling - Story Teller  (Read 4828 times)
Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

Manling, Helmondsshire/ Eyelian

« on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:30 AM »

Name
Lenwë Carnesîr

Race
50% Human & 50% Helmondsshire Halfling.

Tribe
Eyelian and Halfling

Occupation
Story Teller

Title
"Old Father Manling"

Overview
Lenwë is a wanderer unlike any other. People who saw him would think of him as solitary, but in truth he is extremely sociable, especially with children. He does wander from village to village and usually creates quite a crowd when he sits down to tell a story. He knows many myths and has even created a few of his own. Some parents are very wary of him and often do not want their children around such a strange man, but he means no harm, he just wants a chance to do what he excels at: Story telling.

Appearance
He is rather short for an Eyelian, only about a ped tall, most likely an outcome of his mixed heritage. He is also quite scrawny and under the weight of a usual Eyelian, which might be considered odd since he is half hobbit. Also because of the hobbit in him his hair is a lighter color than most of the Eyelian’s and it is short and curly. His eyes are a dark blue, but they have a friendly twinkle, which gives him a more trustworthy look. He has short and thick arms, which are hidden in a long cloak he wears, which also hides his much thinner legs and his over sized feet. They are not as hairy as a regular hobbits but if anyone saw them they would think them unusually hairy for a human.

Clothing
As his appearance says, he wears a long robe with long sleeves that reach the tips of his fingers. His robe barely covers his bare feet. He only wears sandals when he has to, but finds it much more comfortable to go with nothing to put extra weight to his already big feet.

Personality
Lenwë is a very out going and sweet manling and likes to talk a lot, and not just to people. He is not suspicious of anyone, and would like to think the whole world is his friend. There is very little that can upset him, and those are very few, like his fear of heights. He never minded being different because he still had many friends and had a gift for making more. He likes to travel mostly through forests and likes dirt paths better than rocky ones, because of his habit of walking barefoot. He is never interested in money because he eats usually vegetables and fruits he finds on his travels. But what money he does get from his story telling he puts forth to food that he can carry easily. While walking he usually strikes up a tune to whistle or sing.

He is called “Old Father Manling” because he puts on a very grandfather-ish look whenever he tells a story and he often finds a small child or hobbit in his lap while speaking. It's not often that he is turned away, but when he is he just shakes off a sad feeling and goes on to the next safe place. When it rains he finds a ledge or outcropping to sit under, or perhaps a nice big oak or ever green. It never dampens his spirit though and he has a good time despite the rain, singing or reading, or talking with his squirrel friend Grigory.

Strengths
~ Lenwë is a very friendly person, and the kind that easily draws in friends. He is an agreeable person altogether and has made many friends in his travels.

~ Lenwë is good with children. They feel comfortable around him because of his friendly and childish ways, and his height rather helps as well. It's not very often that he doesn't have a crowd of young hobbits or Eyelians crowded at his feet for a good story.

~ He is almost as good with animals as he is with children. Being an Eyelian would have already granted him with this strength but he got a few more high points from his hobbit side. When he travels he is usually not alone and has some companion on his journeys. Constantly talking to birds, squirrels, and other beasts, those who don't know him well might be a bit wary of the “strange and short man who talks to animals.”

~ Lenwë has very good stamina and can travel long distances at a time. He doesn't mind sleeping outdoors and stays outside most of the time. He may often be invited into a home for a meal, which he never turns down, but he has no problem going straight back to his regular pace.

Weaknesses
~ Lenwë is a bit gullible. If anyone were in the mood to poke fun of him he probably wouldn't even notice and think that the person was joking. He is also easily tricked if anyone has the heart to play any pranks on him.

~ Lenwë is easy to trust in strangers. And when this is not always a bad thing, he has gotten into a few sticky situations where he has had items stolen, or his pocket picked, and he has gotten lost quite a few times by asking for directions from shady characters. He is usually very hurt after these occasions, and left to wonder why anyone would do him any harm.

~ Lenwë is petrified of heights. He likes to avoid them at all costs and will take a week long side trip to avoid any high rocky areas. If by a ledge or any great height he begins to tremble like a leaf, only moving to get away as quickly as possible.

~ Lenwë cannot swim, like most peasants, and even though he knows this extremely important fact, he simply won't learn to keep from rivers. It's not as if He's constantly falling and almost drowning, but he has been careless a few times, and even after several close calls, he is still fond of traveling by bodies of water. Whenever he has a weakness he tends to forget it and be a bit careless.

History
Lenwë’s parents met by chance, as travelers. His father was a hobbit, Grigory Carnesîr, from the outskirts of the shire, who was very unusual because of his love to travel. He was not planning on going far but unfortunately his directional skills were extremely low, and finding himself lost traveled to the closest city. From there he caught a ride on a ship which someone had told him would lead him back closer to his home, but it went in quite the opposite direction. He lost hope of going back to his home and took up acting in a group of traveling entertainers.

His mother was from the Eyelian tribe, and also traveled, but only because she thought herself not fit for the Eyelian way. Her name was Emi’abe’eka Gryphfriend Ey'yel. She had never fit in, so she took off with her tamed gryph companion, Eun, who died after becoming sick on the journey. She was very sad and lonely after this, and when she met Grigory, his friendly way was much welcomed. He left the group then, after they fell in love and he persuaded Emi’abe’eka to go back to the Eyelian camp where they would be welcomed and able to raise a family.

It all went very well until Emi’abe’eka had Lenwë, and she died in childbirth. It was raining and Grigory had not been in the camp at the time and he received news that both Lenwë and Emi’abe’eka had died. He was shocked and ran from the camp but didn't watch his footing. As he crossed a river he slipped and plunged down. He was found later that night but succumbed to sickness, leaving Lenwë orphaned.

He was raised by a nanny in the Eyelian tribe, brought up in their ways. He was never very into fighting or learning to do so, and he would rather be reading or listening to old folklore then doing many training activities. He did like to go outside and seemed to have his Father's love of traveling. He could never sit still for long unless to hear a story and he often got lost. He did however learn to speak to animals as fluently (especially with woodland creatures such as birds and squirrels) as anyone else in the Eyelian tribe.

Since he never knew his parents he was never too sad about loosing them, and was contented with his life. He grew older in the Eyelian camp, but was never much use there. When he was 30 he left his home to visit the place his father had come from. He traveled a long time walking all the way unless he needed to take a boat.

On his way he met up with the same traveling group that his father had joined. When he told them of his father they recognized the name remembering old Grigory, their partner. They invited him to join the group, yet when he told them his plan to go home, they found they could not make him stay with them. However before he could go they persuaded him to stay with them long enough to teach him to read and write. They also caught him up with Tharian, so that he could speak it fluently, since he had only learned the basics in the Eyelian camp. This way he could tell stories with more ease. He also learned many good tips on story telling by watching them perfrom for the audience, and by the time he left he was very grateful towards them, and often visits them on his travels.

When he got there he fell in love with the land. He was welcomed by the hobbits after being told that he was the son of Grigory, and he was given free lodging with in a very hospitable hobbit inn. But he did no stay there long. He traveled further into the shire and started telling tales he had learned in the Eyelian camp to the young hobbits there. He found it easier to live in the shire and earned money by writing books of myths for hobbits more interested in what went on outside the shire. He stayed for ten more years in the shire, but found that the mundane way of life did not suit him very well. He took up traveling. He often goes to the shire and his Eyelian home but would prefer the open road to anything.

In his travels he made many friends, humans and animals, and he met a squirrel whom he enjoyed talking to, and it followed him around. He named the young male squirrel after his father, Grigory.

Weapons
Lenwë has no weapons, though he does use a staff to walk with. If he needed to he could use it as a self defense mechanism, but the thought of actually harming someone never came to his mind.

Belongings
Lenwë carries a book of stories to read from if he needs to, but he can usually remember most of them.

Familiars
Lenwë has a squirrel friend Grigory who he made friends with during his travels. The squirrel is not always with him and tends to disappear from time to time but he always comes back to Lenwë. He is a very light creamy brown with a darker spiral in his fur. He has long whiskers and small feet, and big black eyes. He is very understanding towards Lenwë, and what little conversation they can have is always very important. He is a very carefree animal and has no need to fear being harmed when he is with Lenwë. The children that listen to Lenwë’s stories often pet and play with him. Grigory doesn't mind and enjoys anyone’s company as long as they are Lenwë’s friend.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:26:47 PM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know

By: J.R.R. Tolkien
Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »

Welcome to Santharia!  Nice to see manling.  Just a few comments,mostly grammatical, in blue.
Appearance.
His eyes are a dark blue, but they have a friendly twinkle,(comma) which lures people from unneeded suspicion quite easily. (You can’t say what other people do.)

Clothing:
He only wears sandals when he has to,(comma) but finds it much more comfortable to go with nothing heavy-ing(I’d suggest you find a different word.) his already big feet.

Weaknesses:
   - Lenwë is a bit gullible. If anyone were in the mood to poke fun of him he probably wouldn't even notice and think that the person was joking.

History:
She had never fit in, so she took off (delete second space) with her tamed gryph companion, Eun, who died after becoming sick on the journey.

It all went very well until Sairalindë had Lenwë, and she died in childbirth.

He was never very into fighting or learning to do so, and he would rather be reading or listening to old folklore then doing many training activities. He did like to go outside and seemed to have his father’s love of traveling.

Since he never knew his parents he was never too sad about loosing them, and was contented with his life.

When he got there he fell in love with the land.(full stop) 

In his travels he made many friends, humans and animals, and he met a squirrel, whom he enjoyed talking to, and it followed him around. (I don’t know too much about Eyelians, but don’t you need to learn the language specific to the animal before you can speak to it.)

Familiars:
He is a very carefree animal and has no need to fear being harmed when he is with Lenwë.

I also notice you don't have a personality section.  This is a must.  Don't forget to change the icon to the pencil while your intergrating my comments and remember to colour your changes. Good start.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Mannix Vaelos ~ Character Creation Help ~ FAQs ~ Restrictions
Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

Thank you mannix! I thought I was missing something. I will work on the personality tomorrow!

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »

You forgot the icon.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »

Oh, heh... :P silly me

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:30 AM »

There I added the personality.

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »

Well I could only find one comma that wasn't there:
It's not often that he is turned away, but when he is he just shakes off a sad feeling and goes on to the next safe place.

But I do have a query, does he have furry feet?  Also, which Shire does his father come from, and that he goes to?  I guess you just have to wait for Nsiki to come and check this

Mannix

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »

ok, i fixed it. thanx 4 the help

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »

Should I change the color, or keep it like that?

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »

I'd change it, that blue is hard to read.  You could try a different blue, say steel or light, or even a different colour altogether.

Mannix

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

Thank you, I will. :)

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »

There, I got it. :) It is easier to read   :)

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:14 PM »

Name: Lenwë Carnesîr

Race: 50% Human & 50% Halfling.

Tribe: Eyelian and Halfling.

Title: "Old Father Manling"

Overview: Lenwë is a wanderer unlike any other. People who saw him would think of him as solitary, but in truth he is extremely sociable, especially with children. He does wander from village to village and usually creates quite a crowd when he sits down to tell a story. He knows many myths and has even created a few of his own. Some parents are very wary of him and often do not want their children around such a strange man, but he means no harm, he just wants a chance to do what he excels at: Story telling.

((Good overview here. I've not seen a manling CD yet so this is quite interesting.  :)))

Appearance. He is rather short for an Eyelian, only about a ped tall, most likely an outcome of his mixed heritage. He is also quite scrawny and under the weight of a usual Eyelian, which might be considered odd since he is half hobbit. Also because of the hobbit in him his hair is a lighter color than most of the Eyelian’s and it is short and curly. His eyes are a dark blue, but they have a friendly twinkle, which gives him a more trustworthy look. He has short and thick arms, which are hidden in a long cloak he wears, which also hides his much thinner legs and his over sized feet. They are not as hairy as a regular hobbits but if anyone saw them they would think them irregularely (unusually) hairy for a human.

((Appearance is ok...if a bit short. You will want to list your hair color and eye color as well as specific height and weight separately. Using the Santharian colors also adds a bit of flavor to the CD, but isn't required.  ;)))

Clothing: As his appearance says, he wears a long robe with long sleeves that reach the tips of his fingers. His robe barely covers his bare feet. He only wears sandals when he has to, but finds it much more comfortable to go with nothing to put extra weight to his already big feet.

(Do his robes have a color? What is it made of? How does he acquire one? Are they dirty, travel worn or have holes? Same with his sandals. Does he carry around a pair? A bit more detail here would be nice.)

Personality:
   Lenwë is a very out going and sweet manling and likes to talk a lot, and not just to people. He is not suspicious of anyone, and would like to think the whole world is his friend. There is very little that can upset him, and those are very few, like his fear of heights. He never minded being different because he still had many friends and had a gift for making more. He likes to travel mostly through forests and likes dirt paths better than rocky ones, because of his habit of walking barefoot. He is never interested in money because he eats usually vegetables and fruits he finds on his travels. But what money he does get from his story telling he puts forth to food that he can carry easily. While walking he usually strikes up a tune to whistle or sing.

He is called “Old Father Manling” because he puts on a very grandfather-ish look whenever he tells a story and he often finds a small child or hobbit in his lap while speaking. It's not often that he is turned away, but when he is he just shakes off a sad feeling and goes on to the next safe place. When it rains he finds a ledge or outcropping to sit under, or perhaps a nice big oak or ever green. It never dampens his spirit though and he has a good time despite the rain, singing or reading, or talking with his squirrel friend Grigory.

Strengths:
   - Lenwë is a very friendly person, and the kind that easily draws in friends. He is an agreeable person altogether and has made many friends in his travels.

- Lenwë is good with children. They feel comfortable around him because of his friendly and childish ways, and his height rather helps as well. It's not very often that he doesn't have a crowd of young hobbits or Eyelians crowded at his feet for a good story.

- He is almost as good with animals as he is with children. Being an Eyelian would have already granted him with this strength but he got a few more high points from his hobbit side. When he travels he is usually not alone and has some companion on his journeys. Constantly talking to birds, squirrels, and other beasts, those who don't know him well might be a bit wary of the “strange and short man who talks to animals.”

- Lenwë has very good stamina and can travel long distances at a time. He doesn't mind sleeping outdoors and stays outside most of the time. He may often be invited into a home for a meal, which he never turns down, but he has no problem going straight back to his regular pace.

Weaknesses:

- Lenwë is a bit gullible. If anyone were in the mood to poke fun of him he probably wouldn't even notice and think that the person was joking. He is also easily tricked if anyone has the heart to play any pranks on him.

- Lenwë is easy to trust in strangers. And when this is not always a bad thing, he has gotten into a few sticky situations where he has had items stolen, or his pocket picked, and he has gotten lost quite a few times by asking for directions from shady characters. He is usually very hurt after these occasions, and left to wonder why anyone would do him any harm.

- Lenwë is petrified of heights. He likes to avoid them at all costs and will take a week long side trip to avoid any high rocky areas. If by a ledge or any great height he begins to tremble like a leaf, only moving to get away as quickly as possible.

- Lenwë cannot swim, and even though he knows this extremely important fact, he simply won't learn to keep from rivers. It's not as if He's constantly falling and almost drowning, but he has been careless a few times, and even after several close calls, he is still fond of traveling by bodies of water.

(When creating a CD, you compare yourself to a regular peasant and most peasants probably can't swim so that weakness wouldn't count. Fear of heights...that may be questionable, but I have seen a couple of similarly approved weaknesses so that is up to the approving mod. As for me, I have no problem with it.)

History:

Lenwë’s parents met by chance, as travelers. His father was a hobbit, Grigory Carnesîr, from the outskirts of the shire, who was very unusual because of his love to travel. He was not planning on going far but unfortunately his directional skills were extremely low, and finding himself lost traveled to the closest city. From there he caught a ride on a ship which someone had told him would lead him back closer to his home, but it went in quite the opposite direction. He lost hope of going back to his home and took up acting in a group of traveling entertainers.

(You'll want to specify what halfling tribe Grigory comes from)

His mother was from the Eyelian tribe, and also traveled, but only because she thought herself not fit for the Eyelian way. Her name was Sairalindë Galathil. She had never fit in, so she took off with her tamed gryph companion, Eun, who died after becoming sick on the journey. She was very sad and lonely after this, and when she met Grigory, his friendly way was much welcomed. He left the group then, after they fell in love and he persuaded Sairalindë to go back to the Eyelian camp where they would be welcomed and able to raise a family.

It all went very well until Sairalindë had Lenwë, and she died in childbirth. It was raining and Grigory had not been in the camp at the time and he received news that both Lenwë and Sairalindë had died. He was shocked and ran from the camp but didn't watch his footing. As he crossed a river he slipped and plunged down. He was found later that night but succumbed to sickness, leaving Lenwë orphaned.

He was raised by a nanny in the Eyelian tribe, brought up in their ways. He was never very into fighting or learning to do so, and he would rather be reading or listening to old folklore then doing many training activities. He did like to go outside and seemed to have his Father's love of traveling. He could never sit still for long unless to hear a story and he often got lost. He did however learn to speak to animals as fluently (especially with woodland creatures such as birds and squirrels) as anyone else in the Eyelian tribe.

Since he never knew his parents he was never too sad about loosing them, and was contented with his life. He grew older in the Eyelian camp, but was never much use there. When he was 30 he left his home to visit the place his father had come from. He traveled a long time walking all the way unless he needed to take a boat. When he got there he fell in love with the land.

He was welcomed by the hobbits after being told that he was the son of Grigory, and he was given free lodging with in a very hospitable hobbit inn. But he did no stay there long. He traveled further into the shire and started telling tales he had learned in the Eyelian camp to the young hobbits there. He found it easier to live in the shire and earned money by writing books of myths for hobbits more interested in what went on outside the shire. He stayed for ten more years in the shire, but found that the mundane way of life did not suit him very well. He took up traveling. He often goes to the shire and his Eyelian home but would prefer the open road to anything.

In his travels he made many friends, humans and animals, and he met a squirrel whom he enjoyed talking to, and it followed him around. He named the young male squirrel after his father, Grigory.

(You will want to specify how Lenwe learned to read and write as those are skills that wouldn't necessarily be taught in an Eyelian household. Neither Eyelians nor halflings speak Tharian, the common language of Santharia, so you would have to know not only Tharian but halfling and Eyelian as well to be able to travel telling stories and writing books. My suggestion is to perhaps find a tutor somewhere along your travels.)

Weapons:
   Lenwë has no weapons, though he does use a staff to walk with. If he needed to he could use it as a self defense mechanism, but the thought of actually harming someone never came to his mind.

Belongings:
   Lenwë carries a book of stories to read from if he needs to, but he can usually remember most of them.

Familiars:
   Lenwë has a squirrel friend Grigory who he made friends with during his travels. The squirrel is not always with him and tends to disappear from time to time but he always comes back to Lenwë. He is a very light creamy brown with a darker spiral in his fur. He has long whiskers and small feet, and big black eyes. He is very understanding towards Lenwë, and what little conversation they can have is always very important. He is a very carefree animal and has no need to fear being harmed when he is with Lenwë. The children that listen to Lenwë’s stories often pet and play with him. Grigory doesn't mind and enjoys anyone’s company as long as they are Lenwë’s friend.

(Overall, a cute CD here, Lenwe. The biggest issue is how you learned to read, write and speak the languages you need to be able to be understood by halflings and humans alike. A tutor perhaps or maybe your hobbit family knew some reading/writing. Maybe you found a caravan and learned it or served under a human master who taught it to you...etc.)

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »

Thanks, I'll work on it. I needed something to make it loner, and the caravan suggestion is a good idea!  grin

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »

Alright I think I've changed it pretty well.

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]