Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lyrién Raohalniraél / Elf - Injerín / Enchanting Bard  (Read 5095 times)
Lyrién Raohalniraél
Enchanting Bard
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

Thanks Mannix. I've read the Injerín thread and really liked the idea with the dream so wanted to keep it. I guess this way it should be alright since only Lyrién believes that he saw her. Now I'm waiting for a mod to see whether he can be approved. However, I'll have to wait anyway for his main spell to be approved...otherwise I can't RP him.

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »

Hey Lyrien

I'm not commenting on your magic section just yet...I've poked the other mods and the magic experts to make sure your aura of conviction spell will work. If they give the OK, we'll move forward. New spells take a bit of time to make sure they are properly integrated and played in the game.

A small note - 90 years of age probably a bit young to be a level 3 mage as well as a skilled bard. According to the elven age calculator, 90 years is just old enough to reach level 3 mage. Since Injerin elves live to be 600 years old, I think you can bump up the age a bit without getting too many wrinkles!  LOL

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Lyrién Raohalniraél
Enchanting Bard
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »

Hehehehe. You might be right....especially since the actual age of an Inerín is difficult to estimate anyway. I've added 30 years and changed the relevant parts in his history section...It should be fine now. Thanks for poking the mods on my behalf. I really appreciate that, Azhira. I'll plan to play him not in Bardavos (although this would be obvious), mostly because I a) have already a character there and b) there is not much violence there yet... Roll Eyes

Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:25:48 AM »

Hello Lyrién! My comments shall be in the ever-ugly color: Orange

Lyrién has not been trained at the Ximaxian Academy of Magic, but rather by elven mages in his home city Elin’dor where the mages were able to help him achieve what he believes Avá had told him in a dream when he was a boy: To become a bard who may gather the Please specify the element these ounia are before each use of the word. This ensures we are all on the same page. ouniá of car’áll<--A Sphere I (sI) using mage has no ability to gather ounia, only work with what is already present within it's position in the targeted car'all. to help him spreading her words of peace. So he was taught to use the ouniá around him to make his voice louder to enable it to be heard clearly over large distances. Actually ‘louder’ is a wrong term since it does not rise in volume. Rather, people many peds away experience the same audibility like people right next to him.<-How many peds? As the initial car'all would be passing through others carrying these sounds it would weaken much like any other sound would whilst being carried on the breeze. Sound is not a property of wind, hence it can not be strengthened to be carried further. By using the property of movement the mage could hasten the sound along, hence 'rushing' it over a greater distance but this would still be limited by the level of the caster. For becalming more enraged and furious minds he may also make his voice more convincing. This ability, however, works differently as equivalents from the Fire school: Instead of reducing their blood’s temperature, Lyrién rather makes their minds more prone to be enchanted by his voice. Thus, the only spell he has truly mastered is a spell which might need some explanation, and it has to be noted that it only works while singing and playing the harp: When Lyrién intones an ancient, beautiful elven song, people usually listen to him and are enchanted anyway – without him needing to use Wind magic. However, when he finds a rather, well, rough audience, he increases the Wind ouniá in the cár’áll of peoples’ mind,<--A sI using mage can not increase the abundance of wind ounia. They can only manipulate what is already there via strengthening or weakening properties of wind. Which you do not mention. particularly the part which listens to their ears’ perceptions, and makes them more prone to be mesmerized by his peaceful songs. But most importantly, although the vast majority of humans do not understand Styrásh, they at least will understand that he is singing about peace. In a nutshell, this spell makes people more prone to be influenced by his message of peace. In the best situations, he will sing to a bellicose audience which, after he had finished, will lay down their weapons.<-- There is a type of magic created through song, it is called Naming. Also How many could be effected by this? However, this situation has not yet occurred and mostly he uses this spell to simply mesmerize an audience with the aim to make them think more about peace. This spell is what made his mother call him an “Enchanting Bard”.

It might be necessary to explain how this spell is cast. Since it is his own, private spell, which he has developed with his tutors, his bard has over the time become its reagent. More precisely, it is an obligatory reagent. Basically, Lyrién intones a song first, after the first notes he will look around his audience and pierce them with his golden eyes. What seems to many like a typical performing act of musicians is actually the preparation of the spell: Of course, he has to concentrate on every mind he wants to influence so he usually picks the “leader” of a group and then works his way through all those he deems might otherwise not want even to listen to him. Hence, it is not necessary for him to enchant (in the magical meaning of the word) the entire audience, but rather a few, averse minds.<-How does he read the minds of a large crowd? For a sI using mage he would have to cast a spell for each car'all he would be dealing with. He would be far better to endeavor this trick over an area car'all and let the soothing affect land as it may.

It has to be admitted, though, that Lyrién also uses this spell for less noble reasons. When he sees an affluent person among his audience he will concentrate on this person’s mind to fascinate them in order to just get some extra san.

But he knew that at some point he will have to travel Avá’s lands to spread her message, and because he has never learned how to hold a weapon, was also taught the Wind Walking and Vanish spell to help him pass smaller natural barricades, of course Conjure Wind, particularly because he does not like too hot weather. It has to be noted, though, that he can cast the Wind Walking spell only on himself. Moreover, since he strictly refused to learn harmful spells such as Thunderclap, he knows the Hide spell: When he has no other choice to protect himself, such as through words, songs or other spells, he makes himself disappear. Because he walks also quite silently, this spell can protect him very well against harm. If he finds himself in a situation where he can neither escape nor use Vanish to prevent an attack, Lyrién can conjure the Wind Exile spell to blow an enemy away or at least irritate many attackers. After all, these spells are his only protection in a world which is often deaf to peaceful words.

However, he usually only uses his magical abilities to make his already beautiful voice louder (in the above mentioned sense), more convincing, or he provides it with ‘special effects’ such as reverberation.<- As mentioned before, wind has nothing to do with sound and as such has no or very little dominion over it. Since he is using magic in sI he probably couldn't sing while casting. A sI mage must remain focused upon the affect he is creating ... Example: Try singing any song out loud while doing complex mathematics in your head and you would be close to trying the magic this character is. Remember, if you miss a single calculation for more than a second everything is ruined. This is an example of what is called the 'will' of the caster and how it is nearly impossible to divide.

This style of incantation is a wonderful idea, but IMHO you are trying too much with it at such a low level of learning. I recommend keeping it but instead of shooting for the stars, think crawl, then walk, then run and at last fly. Lesser incantations that mimic aspects of this until you have a set of spells leading up to sIII where many things then become possible.
~Sincerely~
Cáo fá cár'tuulén:Twen Araerwen

Sidenote: Learning magic outside of Ximax takes longer than it does if attending the academy. Much longer as a matter of fact so I would recommend expanding on his age even more-so. Especially with being a skilled bard in addition.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:49:51 AM by Twén Aråerwén » Logged

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Lyrién Raohalniraél
Enchanting Bard
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »

Hello Twen. Thanks a lot for taking time to have a look over the magic section. I've removed the parts where I wrongly assumed sound was a property of Wind - and thus reduced his magic abilities. Moreover, I made some unclear passages more clear: E.g., that he does not read his audience's minds but rather assess their characters and focuses on one or two targets. This spell is actually based on one which I've invented and which is currently on the Dev board for analysis by magic mods ("Aura of Conviction").

One of the most important features of this spell is that it has not to be maintained permanently. Rather, it is cast during the intonation of the song and ends with the end of it. You can have a look at it if you want ;). Since I obviously don't know a lot about Santharian magic, I hope that this spell even is possible!  grin

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »

Hi Lyrién! Well, I see you have integrated the comments. The dream from Ava is a bit more ambiguous now so I like that. Also, I am impressed with your bardic abilities and how you describe the spell/song you use. Although the exact spell Aura of Conviction is still under development, you can't use it as you originally intended, unfortunately, but what you have now is acceptable to me. I think I can trust you not to overdo it in a game.

I see no other issues, so I will declare a...

First Approval!

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Lyrién Raohalniraél
Enchanting Bard
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »

Yay! Thanks,  grin :grin:Azhira. And you're right: I will not overdo this particular spell/enchantment or have Lyrién use it a lot anyway

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:27 AM »

Second approval and Title!

Congrats!

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]