Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Malexia Vendu ~ Centoraurian ~ Fire Necromancer  (Read 10969 times)
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 05:13:21 AM »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'll work on re-wording this a bit.

Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »

Ok, revisions in Orange!

- I added the Everbright Cult in the History section.

- I tweaked the Magic section. Added casting procedure using the Fiery Minion spell technique, removing any wording concerning SIII stuff. I also added a spiritual aspect of Entice to garner aid and/or victims for Malexia. The spell is a result of the lustful influence on Malexia's mind for power and knowledge. Thanks to Twen for helping me with these edits!

- I revised the Staff powers and abilities. It no longer is capable of exerting ounia, per Rayne's comments. The staff is instead believed to be possessed of a demon essence from the Mists. Whether this is true is debatable. Malexia's soul malady has driven her partially mad and the whispering and influence from the staff could be a result of the malady...or not.  evil One never knows for sure. The staff both hinders her mentally and also drives her and gives her strength of mind (albeit for the wrong reasons...)

This CD obviously requires alot of special consideration and permission, so any comments are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:09:04 PM by Malexia Vendu » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 10:12:01 AM »

The addition of the Everbright Cult to the history section of your CD looks fine to me. As I suspect you are quite good friends with an Earth Mage/Healer who has investigated the mists, imps and Fire Cult quite extensively, I had no doubt that the history would be fine. :D

However, I'm far from qualified to give comemnts on the magic and necromancy sections, so I'll leave that to someone with knowledge of such matters.

Dek

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

Thank you, Mister Deklitch! And yes, I am on good terms with that silly half-elven mage.  ;) She's a good girl. Most of the time.

Before the CD can be finished, I will need some approval for the staff from Kalina. I also require another look at the magic section. I believe Twen was going to come along soon.  Pet

Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

Half-elf-Tethinrhim/Avennorian

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

Would you mind me taking a look? I think I may be able to be of service if only a little bit. I have acquired Rayne powers. :)

"Sympathy is a luxury I simply cannot afford, for in the death of others do I make my living."

Sylvia Palinor
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »

Would you mind me taking a look? I think I may be able to be of service if only a little bit. I have acquired Rayne powers. :)

Of course, Syl! Please by all means, look away.  ;)

Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 05:15:07 AM »

Everything with the magic section looks alright to me, as well as the rest of the CD that I've been reading bit by bit. So...
First Approval!

"Sympathy is a luxury I simply cannot afford, for in the death of others do I make my living."

Sylvia Palinor
Kalna Dal'isyrs
Dal'isyrs
Mini-mod

High Elf, Karrhem

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »

So, in essence, the staff is basically an indirect possession?

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 07:56:50 AM »

The staff is tainted with the essence of the Mists. Essentially, the staff is something in-between worlds. Its existence is very much like the Shades of Cort'Mangar in that the staff both exists in the mortal world (Caelereth) and the Netherworld. The staff feeds from the car'all of Malexia, but at the same time, it empowers her and gives her a sense of purpose. It is very slowly killing her, but she views it as being the most powerful relic of demonology she has ever found. It does not aid in her casting, as she is more than proficient on her own. It is a very evil object that whispers to her and makes her do bad things. Is there really a demon inside the staff? Who can say? If one were to consider the Mists as a "demon", then yes. Or, one could simply say its cursed with a bad enchantment. Either way, the truth is in the mind of the beholder.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »

Sorry Azzy, but I have some extra comments on your magic section. Twen has opened my eyes to the details of necromancy, and I am going to comment and suggest things according to what I have learned. I am not revoking my approval, so long as you attend to these issues. :) Comments in lime.

Magic:

Malexia has long had an interest in the dark arts and her scholarly work as a demonologist has taken her into realms of knowledge that most would care to forget, or wish didn't exist. Ever since that fateful night in the lab of the orphanage, she has ever been curious as to how the corpse of the boy was made to move. Obviously, the robed man and woman she witnessed were necromancers, and now Malexia, in her adult years, has joined their ranks as a practitioner of necromancy. The living has rarely held any interest for her so Malexia took to the study of undead with a passion. Necromancy gives Malexia a sense of power and control without the chaos and unpredictability so often found in the "living world."

Malexia's methods of corpse animation follows in the teachings of the elfess Twen Araewen, a noted Ximaxian arch-magi and instructor at the Academy. Additionally, Malexia learned much of the necromantic arts as a member of the Everbright Cult. She is well skilled in the Ximaxian understandings of the fire spheres of I and II. She studied how to use the fire property of animation to give corpses the capability of movement and direction. By focusing on the physical aspects of Sphere II, and activating the property of animation, Malexia is able to catch and focus the fleeing fires of life of the corpse. In necromancy, the "fires of life" are a spiritual aspect. They are more the congition that allows the corpse to come to life. She first strengthens the influence of fire by either raising the temperature of the corpses she wishes to animate, or she simply lights them afire using a torch. By strengthening and weakening the fire ounia from within and around the corpses she wants to animate, Malexia can control up to four corpses at once for perhaps a half an hour. Malexia focuses and grasps the fleeing fires of life giving the corpse movement and stability.

She is also adept at animating the corpses of small beasts. The fires of life is not so much a presence within dead beasts and thus animating more than one to function as a more or less sentient tool is not possible for Malexia (at least, not yet!) Hence, she takes a carcass such as a greycat and using her considerable willpower, she makes a connection to the tenuous thread of life the beast once had. After a moment or two, the animal moves and sits upright, directly controlled by Malexia. Simple commands that she can impart upon the corpse are sit, fetch, or even attack. Animating more than one beast, however, is not possible as encompassing a wider range of nearly non-existent fires of life is not within Malexia's powers. Actually, it would be impossible to animate an animal without a Sphere III application. Animals do not have enough of the fires of life left after death to be brought back to partial awareness, so you must "gather" them from their surroundings to provide sufficient animation.

Malexia also animates the occasional larger hound or similar sized beast. Even larger animals, such as horses, are well within her power to animate (although no more then one at a time), and she sometimes uses small mounts when the need arises and she doesn't wish to walk on her own two feet. Regardless of the condition of the carcass, whether freshly dead or mere bones, Malexia's technique is the same. Tapping into the near sentience of an animal is difficult and animating corpses is simpler as the fires of life and former will of a humanoid is easier to grasp. Same here as above.

Malexia is not so much a practitioner of the flashy aspects of fire and thus has no interest in the art for other than research and necromancy. The dark arts that she studies involve alot of focus and her lust for power consumes her. There are instances where Malexia requires the aid of another person in her research or perhaps someone to simply face physical danger in her stead. This is where her own passion for knowledge and discovery influences another. The mage is quite adept at manipulating the passions of another to entice them into aiding her. She uses such an influence to remove the self control and reasoning of the simple minded and once under her grasp, the willing victim is more than happy to spill his or her secrets or to fight for her. If the situation presents itself, and Malexia is quite sure that she can get away with it, she will murder the one under her control and immediately assume to animate the fresh corpse. Malexia feels no remorse in this heinous act, as she looks upon it as a part of her scholarly work. She feels not a passion for another person, but only for the knowledge she can gain from them. Necromancers tend to be a great deal on the spiritual aspect of their element. I would suggest editing it to reflect that she has little or no skill with the physical aspects of fire.

Sylvia Palinor
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »

Great comments on Necromancy Sylv! As strange as it may sound Malexia, corpse animation in multiples is easier done with once sentient Bi-Pedal creatures as Sylvia mentioned above. One piece he was a touch off on is this:
Necromancers tend to be a great deal on the spiritual aspect of their element. I would suggest editing it to reflect that she has little or no skill with the physical aspects of fire.
Although less than a Ximaxian mage in the physical aspects of their element, I would not say little to no skill. If memory serves me, I mention this aspect of Necromancy clearly in my CD in this way. 'Although she is masterful in all areas of necromancy and emotional aspects of fire, she is a tier below most others in the physical realms.' If I recall properly, I state she is like a mage two levels below her necromantic level in this regard.

Yay! The quote I was seeking for this point.
With such a focus in Necromancy, many of the other aspects of fire seem to be forlorn for the mage. This has caused her to practice them on the level of a graduate from Ximax, in essence at the 6th level of ability. She has a competent understanding of Sphere I & II applications for these spells, definitely not on par with the mages grasp of Emotional Control and Necromantic arts.
This may not matter so much as this rift still causes your spells to all be cast in sII. But it should be a clearly defined point, so when you ever go for a level progression it is easily seen. Once you get to the point where some areas are sIII and others are sII the definition becomes more visibly displayed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:18:07 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »

That makes no sense. If a mage is proficient with Sphere II, then she is proficient with all aspects of the Sphere. To just say a level 6 mage is not as proficient with the physical aspects isn't right. Malexia just does not practice them, but that doesn't mean she can't do it. If you learn the principles of a sphere, then you know the whole sphere.

Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »

You are talking Ximaxian magic ... if you want a Ximaxian mage then write one. If you want a Necromancer those are the principles decided upon by a multitude of discussions and at last approved by Artimidor. If you don't want to follow the end goal of Necromancy, that remains to be written, then just say it. I can approach the Administration and let them know you have no desire to work towards this character in earnest.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:58:01 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »

I'll scrap this necromancer then. The concepts behind fire necromancy make no sense to me, when other elements can accomplish similar results without the hindrances. It's as if fire necromancy follows its own separate rules, changing the principles of Ximaxian magic that seem to work just fine with other elements. I would approach the concepts of Necromancy again in the Dev board but Arti doesn't do magic anymore, so whatever is in place now will never change.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:05:40 AM by Azhira Styralias » Logged

Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

Well, if you were mainly focusing on necromancy, your strong point would be the spiritual aspect. Though, it doesn't meen you wouldn't be able to use the physical aspect, just that you would be less proficient, and wouldn't be as powerful in them. You say she doesn't practice them, so maybe the spiritual aspect is just what you're better at, and what you use.

Sylvia Palinor
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]