Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arrg! Question about pirates!  (Read 653 times)
Roslynn Chadwick
Stammering Belle
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »

I was considering, well more than considering, creating a pirate character. The only major question I had was what kind of ships are available for use in Santharia? Would anything like a Schooner or a Brigantine be appropriate?

I'd also appreciate any other comments or recommendations about pirates in Santharia aswell. Restrictions? Things you think I might need to know?

Thanks,
Ros
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:41:50 AM by Roslynn Chadwick » Logged

A fool may ask more than
any wise man can ever answer.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »

There aren't any restrictions on pirates which I am aware of, especially as we do have several pirate characters wandering about the site. I would do some research on the site about ships and ships in general to get yourself started, but if you are looking to own a ship - you will need a good story as to how you acquired it as they are neither easy or cheap.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Synder Nytefall
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:09:08 AM »

I would recommend a read of the Anpagan entry, as it has some general ship knowledge written into it. Also, the pirate listed in my signature has some information on piracy that might be useful.
Roslynn Chadwick
Stammering Belle
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »

Okay, well as far as I've been able to tell after looking over the site and the dev boards, your average pirate ship(Schooner, Brigantine) have pretty much the same design as ships is Santharia. Most Santharian ships have compartments for rowers and use oars to propel them as well as sails, but I'm assuming they aren't necessary. Would anyone object to me using a ship with this general design(Guns and Gun Deck excluded of course):

A fool may ask more than
any wise man can ever answer.
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

I did a lot of research on this subject when I wrote Eric's CD.  Seems to me that most things concerning pirates from this world can be applied to Santharia...pity there's no gunpowder, mind!  I just changed canons into catapults.

As for the oars, they're only needed for seas that usually make ships becalmed.  So that one depends on where you want your pirate to be operating.

Basically, anywhere that there's a trade route on the sea then there will be pirates.  But other factors like convenient hiding places along the coast also figure into the equation.

I think that your ship design looks fine.  Just remember that the rigging affects the way a ship sails and boats are often named according to the way that they're rigged, sloop, cutter, ketch, yawl etc.

The ship design you posted looks like a great choice for a flagship of a pirate group!  Big and intimidating!  But it'd have a deep draught and wouldn't be able to hide in the shallows as well as a schooner or a sloop...

Anyway, good luck with the nautical terms  buck and have fun!  I loved creating Eric and he's a lot of fun to role play with as well!   :)

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]