Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fu Luft / Avennorian [& Eyelian] / Wind Magician [& scribe]  (Read 7857 times)
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »

Fu has mastered Sphere I in the Ximaxian School of Wind Magic, concentrating in particular on the physical aspect of wind. His greatest talent lies in the sphere of Motion. Thus, he excels in spells involving telekinesis, the creation of wind, and the movement of smoke. Fu is not proficient in magic involving the spiritual aspect of wind; thus, he is not at all skilled in the sphere of Mirage,<--The Spheres of Magic are gained via lvls of learning. I think you are referring more to classes of spells as Sphere I is lvls 1-3, Sphere II is lvls 4-6 and Sphere III is lvls 7 and beyond. and relatively weak in the sphere of Illusion. Although defining strength in various spell Classes can be done, choosing of Spheres can not.

Fu first learned his magic from his master Petronius Fragg, who himself studied at Ximax before leaving the Academy to pursue his own idiosyncratic view of magic. Fraggs ideas about wind magic, which Fu has absorbed, are based on breath. The master wizard used to say: Life means creating wind. Fire magicians talk about the spark of life, and thats all right as far as it goes, but without the constant movement of wind and breath thered be no fanning and no fire. Our magic, Fu, is merely an extension of this most ordinary of activities: breathing. What we do is to extend our breath beyond the debilitating confines of our perishable body. Wind magic means breathing not just through your windpipe and lungs, but through the whole world. If thou truly knowst this, nothing is impossible. To thee, a tornado storm should be nothing but another series of inhalations and exhalations. The purpose of thy study, however, is not the manipulation of nature, but the contemplation that we and nature are the same. We are all made of cr'll, and when we die, our cr'll will regroup itself and become dust, water, wind, and flame.

Fus apprenticeship with Fragg represents a formative period of his life, and although his time at Ximax has led him to accept orthodox Ximaxian theory, Fraggs legacy lives on in some of the rituals Fu uses to help him concentrate on focusing his will. These rituals all involve concentrating the mind on ones own breath, and shall be described in detail below. They are, in themselves, in no way necessary to achieve magical effects, but they do help Fu focus his concentration when his mind is disturbed, when he is trying to cast a difficult or less familiar spell, and during the learning of new spells. The idiosyncratic rituals dont have any advantages over other sort of rituals they dont help Fu to perform spells faster, and reagents such as a bird feather may help Fus concentration just as they help other lower-level mages.

The remainder of this section describes the seven spells in which Fu has some proficiency. They are: Telekinesis; Conjure Wind; Wind Exile; Wind walking; Insubstantial Shield; Hide; and Shape Smoke.

In harmony with his juggler roots, Fus proudest achievements are in the art of telekinesis. To perform Telekinesis, Fu takes a blink to concentrate, briefly and noiselessly blowing through his pursed lips. He then focuses on the property of motion of the wind onia in the air near the target object, and creates a jet of wind that carries the object in the desired direction. Fu can move objects up to about 3 od in weight. Small, round objects (such as a juggling ball) are simplest to move; the spell gets more difficult the larger the target objects volume and the more complex its shape is. Thus, Fu could move a small wooden plate or a cup filled with wine; a bunch of keys would be trickier (although a single key may be achievable), while a hunting bow would be impossible. In levitation, speed and control are inversely related: the more controlled the objects movement needs to be, the slower Fu has to proceed. (The cup of wine would need to be levitated very slowly if the wine is not to be spilled.) In general, the closer Fu is to the target object, the easier it is to perform the spell, and the longer Fu may maintain control over the object. Even at a close distance, however, Fu can not levitate an object for longer than a minute. However, Fu is rather dexterous with this spell, and has learned to gently set down an object before his control wanes.

During a performance, Fu may combine telekinesis with his juggling skills to bizarre effect. His magic is not powerful enough to move several objects at once, or to move them sufficiently quickly to simulate the effect of juggling. However, his dexterous hands can juggle four or five balls without magical help. To startle an audience, Fu would juggle for a minute, then pretend that he lost control and let all the balls fall into his left hand except for the red ball, which he would keep floating just above his head while looking up at it, faking a look of amazement on his face. Fu would like to be powerful enough to pretend looking around for the ball while letting it float behind his back; but he isnt: he must maintain eye contact with the object that he is levitating.

Simpler than telekinesis is the creation of a breeze (Conjure Wind). Fu can increase the influence of the wind cr'll<--ounia in the air, so that it overcomes the airs inert earth onia<-When strengthening winds properties all the others are affected, not simply earth. Example: Increasing movement in Wind decreases Earth's stability property, that gentle cooling of the Wind as it brushes over you is the weakening of Fire's heat property. The drying of your perspiration as said breeze goes over you, a clear sign of Water's properties being in a weakened state. and the air begins to move. To help him focus his will, he may exhale through his pouted lips, directing the jet of his breath toward the target area. During a juggling performance, he will sometimes let a breeze ruffle the hair of his audience for dramatic effect. Otherwise he might use this spell to cool his sweating body after an exhausting walk. Like with telekinesis, Fu has to maintain eye contact with the area in which he is creating wind.

To create a sudden and strong gust of wind shoving an opponent aside (Wind Exile), Fu would exhale with an A-shaped mouth (making a voiceless, gusty sound) and focus on the property of mobility of the wind onia in the air around the target, causing the air to move suddenly (and hopefully sufficiently strongly to help Fu in his endeavour to stay alive).

Fu has also learned the Insubstantial Shield spell, with which he can create a whirl of wind that revolves around himself in a half-globe (and large enough to include a small party of friends, should Fu have found any) and acts like a shield, slowing down or even blocking missiles (such as arrows or stones) directed at him. This spell once helped protect Fu from a mob of villagers who had disliked a juggling performance and had decided to pay him in rotten fruit and vegetables, which they threw at him. Although the Shield of wind is not strong enough to block a determined attacker moving toward Fu, the Spellblower has been able to use the spell to detract a cat from approaching him, when he saw no easy way to otherwise avoid the cat coming too close for his comfort.

The remaining four spells in Fus repertoire are not performed by creating wind through focus on the wind onias property of motion. Wind Walking, which enables Fu to walk on air, is achieved by strengthening the influence of the wind onias property of lightness in his own cr'll. Fu would inhale and focus on the his body becoming light. When casting the spell, it helps Fu to hold one of his corbie feathers, although unlike other low-level mages, he does not use tree resin as a reagent. Fu can walk in the air for up to 20 minutes, but only slowly. Wind Walking helps Fu, to some extent, compensate for his lack of strength and physical inexperience: it has, in the past, enabled him to overcome an awkward passage on an upward path, to cross a river, or to escape to a high branch of a tree that he otherwise could not have climbed. In Ximax, Fu has also learned to direct the spell onto another person. However, he has never performed this feat in a non-academic situation, and is conscious that to attempt it would carry considerable risk, as the spell effect depends on Fu maintaining his concentration throughout: if the spell caster gets distracted, the wind walker, be it himself or a companion, would fall from whatever height he had reached. Note also that Fu can only perform the spell on one target at once: that is, either himself or one other person.

By focusing on the wind onias property of invisibility, Fu can also make himself or a target up to the size of a tall man invisible. During his time at Ximax, Fu had come to cherish the Hide spell, since it more often than not allowed him to escape from bullies. Since the end of his student days, Fu has faced a number of dangerous situations with highwaymen and town ruffians, and has used the Hide spell as a method of self-defence.<-defense Even at the best of times, Fu cannot sustain invisibility for longer than ten minutes. Thus, he uses the spell to confuse his pursuers and to gingerly tiptoe toward a hiding place, rather than to facilitate a counter-attack.

To shape the smoke of his pipe into amusing shapes is one of Fus favourite pastimes. However, Fu can only do this at extremely close distance (less than half a ped), and the shapes dissolve very quickly. A more practical application is the moving of a cloud of smoke, which Fu can do to a distance of up to three ped. This might help him to air his room after a contemplative hour of smoking his pipe.

Overall a fantastic magic section with some innovative ideas. I know the Sphere thing is a bit confusing, especially in the Wind School entry. I would encourage you to look at the Fire School entry to get a general idea of what I mentioned above. It is the most recently updated by our magic experts and more clearly shows what I mentioned. Other than that, great job hun!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:09:32 PM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Fu, you know more magic than I do, I gave up after some time ;)

A very entertaining CD, and a character which is not big, beautiful and strong!  (My first was! --Talia, but back then the requirements were low, so I don't have a proper CD)

I do fear for your PhD disease! ;)
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32:23 PM »

Dear Mannix, Twn and Talia,

Thanks so much for your kind replies. I've worked in the requested changes. As I've taken the colour out of all previous amendments, and hope that you believe me when I say that I've corrected the typos you kindly pointed out, there are now only three red bits:

(1) I changed the ambiguous terminology of 'sphere', so that I now distinguish between spell 'class' and attained 'sphere' of mastery.

(2) I changed the bit about wind overcoming earth. I may be permitted to say, though, that my original wording was a paraphrase of the description of 'Conjure Wind' in the Compendium. I quote: "Spell Effect. Air is sometimes described as wind that is being still. More accurately, the earth ounia in a cr'll that consists mainly of wind ounia are exerting their influence in the form of causing stillness in the wind. What this spell does is increase the amount of influence the wind ounia exert over the cr'll, overcoming the stillness of earth and turning air into wind." But I know that not every compendium entry is perfect.

(3) Unrelated to your comments, I've added a short passage at the end of the history - a little glimpse into Fu's soul.

I'm glad you like the character. I thought it would be fun to play someone who has yet to learn to apply his skills for the benefit of himself and others (no doubt getting himself into all sorts of trouble on the way).

I hope I've done your comments justice. Sincerely, Fu
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:34:29 PM by Fu Luft » Logged

Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 12:00:16 AM »

1) Looks great to me.
2) My apologies for going overboard with details. Just trying to express how delicate the Car'all is, any alteration influences a multitude of other aspects.
3) ~First Approval~   

Mannix
Ranger of Shadow
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »

Well, everything looks fine then. Here is your ~Second Approval~. Yay, my first approval. grin An admin will be along shortly to title you and move this CD to the archives. Have fun role-playing.

Mannix
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:17:15 AM by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Mannix Vaelos ~ Character Creation Help ~ FAQs ~ Restrictions
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »

~Titled and Ready for Play~ Please remove the color from your CD and I shall archive it for you. Enjoy role-playing Fu Luft!

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 01:46:04 AM »

O thank you, Mannix and Twn!

That's splendid! My gratitude also to Rookie, Eleyr and Azhira, who also took the time to read and comment on my drafts, and helped me immensely in sorting out Fu's history and in particular the tricky Magic section.

I've removed the colour. And I hope to add a picture soon!

Sincerely, Fu (and what a happy Fu this is, indeed)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]