Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter Two - All Aboard!  (Read 41453 times)
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

First mate Udghrin watched as Mallorix furtively climbed out of the “haunted” cargo-hold.  He was hiding something, that was for sure; making up nonsensical stories to keep the other sailors from sticking their noses in.  “Looks like I’ll ‘av ‘im after all!” she thought to herself with glee.  Once Mallorix had disappeared from view, she made her way over to the hatch.  Then, she started to climb down the ladder, into the gloomy hold below.

The lieutenant felt like laughing when she heard Royce’s reply.  He had the idea that she meant to have them run around the boat all day!  Still, she didn’t let any sign of her mirth show as she made her brief reply.
   “Point taken; there’s no point making an injury worse.”
   Then she looked back along the deck, and saw that the dwarf was rapidly approaching them.  Standing with arms spread wide, the lieutenant made it clear that she wanted him to stop.
   “One of your company has a damaged knee.  Since you can’t leave him behind, you’ll have to carry him!  And in return, he’ll do your push-ups for you!  Understood?”
   Not wanting to let Royce have an opportunity to complain, the lieutenant stepped in close to him.  Using her legs and hips to break his balance, she toppled him over and into her arms.  It was then easy enough for her to heave him onto the dwarf’s ample shoulders.
   “Right!  Let’s go, go, go!!!” she bawled, as she spied the other two men coming to lap them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:13:09 PM by Yurie Yileen » Logged

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »

Fionn couldn’t help but grin at the doctor’s words, but felt herself pale as she considered the prospect of an amputation. Keeping her face carefully blank, and taking a deep breath, she forced herself to forget the other man, and concentrate on getting clean.

"Now, then, ladies.  For an amputation such as this, on a healthy male of about thirty years; what would you use to put him to sleep, or dull the pain?"

A glimpse of tear streaming eyes clamped tightly shut, the skin of the eyelids already deathly grey, intruded on Fionns mind, but she pushed it away. This was an opportunity to learn to do it right. She couldn’t, however, entirely keep a trace of nerves from her voice as she answered quietly “everything you possibly can, without killing him. In his case I’d say atleast three miyu, probably four, but the bigger problem, if I remember correctly, is blood loss.”

Her good eye was round as she looked at the doctor, eager to learn exactly what to do, to find in his face the confidence she wished she could feel.

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »

Koka watched Malavon set off at a neck-breaking speed, especially on this lurching ship. She shook her head at the strangeness of humans. What could possibly be the point of running around a ship? This was also not going to help her stomach to settle, though the fact that she had emptied it seemed to make her feel slightly better.

She followed the taller folk, but at a pace that she knew she could keep up. She was built for endurance anyway, not for speed. However, as she went she wondered how in TrumBarrol's name she was going to do the pushups? Surely the lieutenant could not mean to put her through the agony of having to stretch her arm, and worse have her whole weight leaning on it? She figured she should probably say something about that before she got to the part where she had to do the push-ups.

However, before she could do as she had decided, the lieutenant stopped her, said something about an injured knee, and deftly tricked Royce and dumped him on her shoulder. She hooked her good arm around his legs to steady him, and set off again. "Hold on to my right arm, though I'd appreciate it if you could spare the elbow. You're not the only one with an injury." she said through gritted teeth, adjusting her pace to take into account the added weight, as well as trying to stay upright during the motions of the ship. One and the other conspired to make her quite a lot slower than the other two that were running around the ship, but she doggedly went on as fast as she could without dropping her companion.

KaskaChee
Sanguinary Shaman
Approved Character

Brownie, Mud Rat

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »

This place was truly a marvellous creation of ingenuity.  Really.  Not only was it richly stocked, but covered in tiny little brownie-sized passages and tunnels, made by the industrious rats.  They were good tasty ones too with black shiny coats and large teeth.  Now, if she could herd them up and pen them, and put this big boat on proper land rather than on the sea, wouldn’t it just make an amazing home for thousands of her kin?  These beautiful rats would make excellent food, and pretty good mounts too.  Amazing!

Defending herself against these pests had not been too hard so far – she knew that as long as she didn’t try to invade any nests then they would normally back down pretty quickly from her unfamiliar form.  The small pieces of cloth she was wearing helped, as the dye made her smell slightly of human, at least enough for them to be wary when she screamed at them and brandished her heavy wooden spear.  Her white mount followed her, sniffing happily at the new smells and guarding her back.

At first the pair were simply wandering around randomly, exploring the ship and looking out for signs of the party she had seen at the dock.  Soon, however, Kaska began to hear noises from above, feet-like noises.  They were too loud and too many to be accidental really, and not regular enough to be part of the sea-noise she was already getting used to.  The little Brownie headed upwards, towards the sound and the fresh air, trying to remember where she had been.

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »

“Perfectly correct!”  Doctor Jorek exclaimed when he heard Fionn’s response to his question.  “We should thank Nehtor for the marvellous miyu bean!  And, fortunately, we have a good supply of them here.  We also have some trinity, which serves a similar purpose.  Of course, such plentiful supplies are not always to hand.  Some surgeons have little better than stingo, or other strong drinks, to steady the patient’s nerves.  Some have even less; little more than a piece of wood for the unfortunate man to bite down on.
   “In such situations, it’s of even more importance to try to keep your patient calm.  But, of course, that’s a lot easier said than done.  If the man you’re working on is still conscious, you’ll usually need at least half a dozen good, strong men to hold the poor fellow down!”  The doctor paused momentarily as he collected his thoughts.
   “And how right you are about blood loss, Fionn,” he continued, “Which is why we should never attempt an amputation above the knee!  This is the reason that we need to act swiftly on a mortified limb; if the rot progresses too far, it’s almost impossible to save the victim’s life.  Oh, and we should always apply a good, tight tourniquet before we start sawing.”
   The doctor turned to see how his mate was progressing with the preparation.
   “He’s already asleep, sir,” the boy said gently, as if frightened that he would wake the unconscious Mr Sonis.
   “Very good, Jameson, very good.  Now, ladies, perhaps you would care to see just what the problem is?”
   Doctor Jorek proceeded to lift the sheet that had been covering Mr Sonis’s legs.  Almost immediately, the fetid stench of dead flesh bloomed from the man’s blackened left leg.
   “Now, as you can see,” the doctor continued, pointing to the afflicted flesh, “Gangrene has set-in, and, if left untreated, would almost certainly prove fatal.  And, as you can see, Jameson here is already busy applying the tourniquet.  Very soon, we’ll be able to begin.”
   The doctor now turned to a small table that stood beside the bunk.  A piece of sail cloth was draped over it, hiding what lay beneath.
   “Here are a few tools for the job,” the doctor said, removing the sail cloth with a slight flourish, revealing a variety of wicked-looking implements.  “As you can see, we have knives and a saw.  The knives can be used for a slightly more involved amputation.  But, to keep things simple, I think today we should use the saw.”  The doctor reached over and picked up the saw.  It was shaped like a miniature bow, with a blade of sharp teeth where the string would be.  A wooden handle protruded from its rear end, and the metal at the front had been fashioned to allow a firm grip.  Doctor Jorek held it firmly, using both his hands.
   “I would very much like to watch one of you perform the amputation,” the doctor said, addressing the three women.  “I will guide and help you, of course, if you aren’t used to such work.  So, who would like to give it a go?”
   The doctor's face was calm and kind.  The uncertainty in Fionn's voice had led him to the conclusion that she wasn't feeling too confident about herself, and he wanted to help her feel as much at ease as possible.  He had probably felt the same way when he had first performed an amputation, though it was so long ago that he could hardly remember.  Working on board a ship, such procedures were all too common.  He could remember Jameson's first experience with surgery, though.  The poor lad had been literally bathed in sweat, and his hands had been shaking so much that the doctor had had to give him a shot of brandy just to calm him down!  Still, life was like that at sea; in at the deep-end!

Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »

Royce stood, awaiting the lieutenant's reply.  She looked a tough as nails type of soldier, and for a brief moment, a tinge of regret touched him.  He could imagine if it were the other way round, and she had come to him, whining about an injury when he was trying to train a group of soldiers.  How would he react?  What would he think?

She had listened to him, and it appeared that perhaps she was going to find something else for him to do.  She turned her back to him, after agreeing that it would do no good to make the injury worse.  Suddenly, Royce had a wash of shame crash over him.

It crossed his mind to just shut his mouth and resume his run, knee be damned, but before he could do anything, she startled him by reaching down without any warning and scooping him up in her arms.  Then, she rather unceremoniously deposited him on the shoulders of the dwarf.

What had just happened?  Royce was completely flabbergasted, to the point where he was unable to react for a moment, as the  diminutive bearded dwarf carried him along at a steady, if not lumbering pace.  At first, outrage filled him.  How could she?  Where did she get the gall to come off thinking she could do that to him?  Then shame, as he could just imagine what the others were going to think when they saw him being carried like a sack of neeps around the ship.

Suddenly, he began to laugh.  Not a chuckle.  Not a snicker.  A big belly laugh erupted from him that came up from deep inside.  What would they think, indeed!  He could well imagine the ridiculous sight this must pose to them.  He then relaxed, allowing the dwarf an easier grip on him, mindful of the sore elbow that the dwarf had mentioned.

"Very well, my friend, I shall let you carry me.  But, only on the condition that when we do the push ups, you rest on my back and I'll do my half of the workout carrying both our weights."  He was not afraid of that.  Bulging shoulders stood as testament to years of swinging a forge hammer. "No sense in making your injury worse as well."

Royce

Violence is not the answer.  But, it will buy you time to think of one.
Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »

The familiar smell of sick rooms floated in the air, Ylva didn't mind the sight of blood or the sounds of pain that came from the patients. They seemed normal. Which was worrying in itself. Her hands seemed to wash themselves as her mind drifted off. Strange....they never taught me how to actually interact with patients, heal them, yes, but people skills weren't exactly part of the lessons in that grim place. The woman listened as both the Doctor asked them a question. You could answer it...no this isn't Dagans...this isn't a competition.... Fionn spoke, giving a answer which showed a considerable sharp mind. Very good point on blood loss...I didn't remember that....How old is she?...Hmm....she must be experienced surely....Ylva watched the other healer closely. Though the ugly sight itself seems to be affecting her....she'll grow used to it....people grow used to everything if it just becomes a daily occurance.....

Doctor Jorek proceeded to show them the wound itself, Ylva had seen injuries like it before, normally there were about three strong soldiers holding the man down as her and another doctor tried to frantically hack the dead flesh off. That had been so long ago. Obviously the doctors in Santharia had more careful methods. The Santerran army wasn't known for it's medicine and Lhindal was no exception. The stench of rotting brought back old memories of that place, nasty ones but ones which would help her now.

“I would very much like to watch one of you perform the amputation, I will guide and help you, of course, if you aren’t used to such work. So, who would like to give it a go?”

Fionn could do it, no doubt of it, but will she volunteer? Rhia...perhaps with more training...

“I'll do it....” The murmillion stepped forwards towards the sleeping man and reached out to grasp one of the knives lying on the nearby table. It felt strange to be holding such a implement again. The leg had been washed, ready for surgery. All that was needed was a first incision. Just a cut. Her hand wavered, the edge of the blade just a few grains from the skin. It's been such a long time, will I remember?...the smell of lime trees...that was what was missing...that sharp lime smell brought comfort to everyone...here on this ship there is only the smells of illness and rot....of salt and the sea......no, no comfort to be found in them.... “But." Her brown eyes looked up, flitting from Doctor Jorek to Fionn, then a quick glance at Rhia to see how she was doing. "I'm a bit hazy.....” Admit it, afterall this time, you're still scared...terrified...that never goes away...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:20:15 AM by Ylva Rasmussan » Logged
Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

Acrobats swung and flew through the air inside Rhia's stomach. Well, they didn't really fly through the air. Close enough though. Succinctly, she was nervous. And why? She didn't know any of the answers to the good doctor's questions. A good enough reason! she justified to herself, though in truth it didn't make her feel any better. And it certainly didn't help when Doctor Jolly -er, Doctor Jorek; she kept getting his name bungled inside her head, though 'Doctor Jolly' seemed an apt enough name for him- towed them off to the sick bay, showed them a sickly man, and queried as to how to lop of his leg correctly. Hah, 'lop off his leg.' Those three would probably crucify me if they heard me using that broad term. Her heartbeat thudded apprehensively, quickening as they stepped inside the sick ward, and for lack of distraction picked up her thought where it had left off. Ha, yes, three to one, I'm outnumbered... But they're friendly anyway, so it doesn't really matter... A quick comforting touch to the scabbard at her belt confirmed that her R'unorian dagger was still keeping her company, nonetheless. As if I'm usually that suspicious of others! Nerves, nerves, nerves. Just like a performance... Anyway, the best place to be when you're in a sick ward is probably outnumbered by surgeons... Especially if you happen to not be one. Rhia smiled thinly at this thought. She wasn't usually wry, if this could even pass for wry, but now they were standing before a man who Jolly –Jorek!- as he conversed with him, identified as Jameson. Nearby, lying in a bunk, was a young sailor who had the fear of the world ending written on his face. And indeed, Rhia could only sympathize with him- Baveras, in one of her many temperaments, had decided to cruelly relieve him of one of his most important appendages. This thought, of course, sprouted a new idea for a song in Rhia's head, but she was kept firmly in the present by another panic-creating question of Doctor J. (Rhia had found a compromise for her little -extremely, extremely little, compared to the crisis this poor sailor was going through- problem with the good doctor's name.)

The doctor washed his hands and gestured for the other three to do the same, then threw out another paralyzing query. “Now, then, ladies.  For an amputation such as this, on a healthy male of about thirty years; what would you use to put him to sleep, or dull the pain?”

Rhia was forced to stand there again, probably slack jawed, and let Fionn –Aha! At least now Rhia had a name, if not a species- or Ylva answer the question. The troubadour’s best guess as to Doctor J.’s question was something along the lines of ‘Clonk him on the head with a huge hammer?’ Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw Ylva give her an appraising glance. Rhia quickly flushed. Yes, well, I’m a troubadour, what would you have expected, that I would be as utterly remarkable as the rest of you? Even as the sour thoughts passed through her mind, clinging to every possible crag in the cliffs of her brain, she knew that the other woman –every single member of the party, for that matter- had good reason to doubt her. Yet she swiftly pushed these thoughts out of her mind, unwilling to even speculate on them. Such was her vanity!...

Ylva stepped closer to the man on the bunk, took up a knife, (at which Rhia’s complexion promptly paled) and proceeded, as if in a daze –which Rhia, quite frankly, could identify with- to begin cutting into the sailor’s flesh. The girl’s complexion positively whitened at this, and a fresh wave of revulsion shuddered through her. ”You’ll excuse me,” she mumbled as she bolted out of the sick bay.

It was cooler outside on the deck, a somewhat respite from the slightly warmer air of the sick ward. Rhia looked at the deck floor, the sky, the sea, anywhere but in the sick bay. As it turned out, unsurprisingly, this proved easy enough to do, but her thoughts were more difficult to contain. They kept lingering on the moment that the blade touched the skin. She bit her lip tightly as she felt herself nearing the edge of the emotional cliff- she did not want to cry in front of these people. Despite all her attempts to distinctly not think about it, she knew –knew that in one way or another, all the others were useful. Why had she even signed up for this, convinced Uncle Jorn to let her go? It was ridiculous! A singer whose only military skill was the R’unarian dagger (in close range fighting, at that!) and who couldn’t even tie a bandage, on a ship with all these… useful people? How did it work out in the stories? And yet Rhia knew that her confidence would return- not rightly, for this momentary reasoning was indeed correct, but eventually her vanity would once more let her believe that she could somehow be of some use, some help. She took another shuddering breath. Perhaps I should have stayed at home and become a Baveras’ Will like Seli. Ha. She knew that she could never be a Baveras’ Will, much as she loved Baveras. She was merely entertaining the thought to feel sorry for herself… Silently she watched the runners pound past her in single file. A few of the men were trying to catch up and talk to the lieutenant who was leading them. A small smile glowed hesitantly in Rhia’s face. Some men never stopped trying when there were women around!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:24:46 AM by Rhia » Logged

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »

Doctor Jorek watched as Ylva picked up one of the curved blades; clearly she knew what she was doing.  Then, she hesitated, the blade almost touching the patient's skin.
   "Ah, don't worry," the docor said reassuringly, "I'm sure it'll come back to you soon enough."  Tracing a line around the man's leg with his index finger, Doctor Jorek indicated where the incisions were to be made.  "Take it down to the bone, using two, conical cuts; then I'll suture the arteries.  The cuts need to be angled slightly, like so." The doctor used his fingers to show Ylva the angle of cut required.  "Once we've done that, then you can get to work on the bone itself."  The doctor picked up a curved needle and thread.  "I believe we're ready to begin.  Just remember; speed and accuracy!"
   Almost as soon as Ylva had started on the first incision, Rhia made a shap exit, obviously sickened by the sight.  Doctor Jorek looked up, and ordered his assistant, Jameson, to go and comfort her.  As the boy hurried out of the room, the doctor turned his attention back to the operation.

Jameson hurried over to the pale-faced girl, Rhia.  She looked decidedly unstable, as though she were about to faint.
   "Exuse me, miss," he said as he approached her.  "Are you feeling alright?  You look a little unwell.  I know it affects some people like that; the blood 'n all.  Maybe you'd like a cup of cha'ah?"
   "Ah, Jameson!"  The captain's voice boomed close-by.  "I hope you're looking after our guests!"
   Jameson touched his forehead in a mark of respect, and then replied, "Aye, sir!"
   The captain's gaze fell on Rhia, and a look of concern came to his eyes.  "But Rhia, you look profoundly unwell!  What has the doctor been doing to you?"
   "Please, sir," Jameson said, "Lady Rhia is feeling a little faint.  Perhaps the blood don't suit her.  I thought she might like a rest and a nice cup of cha'ah."
   "Of course the blood doesn't suit her, boy!  Why, whoever heard of a lady that could stand such a thing!"  Turning to Rhia, he continued.  "In truth, I didn't think the doctor would subject you to such an ordeal.  You must forgive me!  Now, come; you can rest in my quarters for a while.  Jameson!  Run ahead and put the kettle on; we'll join you presently!"
   "Aye, aye, sir!" the young lad said, before running aft.
   "Now, perhaps you'll allow me to assist you?" the captain said to Rhia, offering his hand for support.  "I'd hate for you to collapse on the way!"

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 05:53:43 AM »

Fu listened in puzzlement as the sailor with the large hands told him to hide on the ship. Queen’s Harbour? What was that? Some small fishing town he’d never heard of? A self-important fishing town, judging by the name! ”I prithee, where be Queen’s Harbour? How long will the journey be taking? Longer than a day?” The sailor didn’t hear Fu out, but instead climbed up the ladder, opened the hatch a bit  - a ray of light fell into the dusky room; there was a human voice in the distance, a man was laughing, and a seabird cried  - wriggled through it, closed it again, and was gone. And all was still. Except for a soft creaking in the wood, to the rhythm of the ship's heaving motion: its slow and powerful and regular swing. Fu’s body swayed like a lonely blade of reed.

”What should I be doing?” he mumbled to himself. He walked over to the porthole and looked outside: there was no land in sight, only water as far as his eyes could see. "The land may be on the other side, may it not? I be wishing this sailor would be a-staying and explaining. He wasn’t even telling me his name. He be advising to hide, so this journey can’t be long. Maybe Fu will be on land tonight!" And this time, he might be lucky and come to a place where he won’t have to run and squeeze into corners behind boxes and barrels! 

So Fu decided to follow the sailor’s advice. He took the piece of bread and the cheese from the crate where his benefactor had left them, bit a piece off each and started to chew. Too nervous to sit down, he walked about. This storage chamber was massive! Who would be carrying so many wares on a ship that was only going for a short journey? But ah, maybe the ship would stop at several ports, and Queen’s Harbour was only the next stop! He'd simply slip on land wherever this boat would next cast the anchor. For the first time today, Fu smiled, satisfied with his reasoning. My sense be coming back to life! Though my head be thumping still as if there be a dwarf mine inside. Or a rat rider mine, hee-hee! Where be that wee fellow gone, anyways?

Fu’s gaze fell on the puddle of water and the flat canteen that lay in it, unperturbed by the ship’s sway. These scratches in the wood just by the puddle’s edge were very peculiar indeed. Three looked like symbols of some sort. And fourth: that was a stick man, who appeared to be under attack from large, oval shapes with pointy stick growing out of them. But before he could ponder the implications of this thought, another sight made Fu startle. There still be my knapsack and hat! I was going to be swimming without them. Thanks be to the sailor who wasn’t being letting me! Maybe my sense be not that awake after all?

Now that he’d eaten, Fu felt a smoke would really help to steady his nerves. So he squatted down next to his rucksack, opened it, and found his beloved pipe, his pouch of pipe moss, and his flint and iron. Sitting down on a low crate, he stuffed bits of moss into the head of the pipe and stroke the flint against the metal, producing a spark that lit the moss. Ah, the spark of life: but without wind, you could not be smouldering, little fire ounia. You be earth trying at being wind, but you be not wind. As he took in the first gulp of smoke, Fu felt his body relax, and the pain in his head slowly recede into the background of his thoughts. Unfortunately for our little wind wizard, this moment of respite - the first, really, since his hazardous encounter with the Ciosan ruffians - was not destined to last long.

The hatch opened again! Fu recognized the noise by now. The sailor be coming back? Now I be ready, and not so befuddled, and I be going and asking him questions. I must be finding out how long I will be here. So Fu got up and walked towards the hatch to greet his benefactor. He decided to address him a bit more formally this time, in the slightly over-wrought idiom the wizard had picked up from his teachers. ”I thank thee! Thou hast bestowed great kindness bringing me food and drink. May I take the liberty of aski…" This be not the same sailor! This be a woman!  She had already seen him. Standing at the bottom of the ladder, she looked at him with an odd mixture of shock and triumph.

For a blink, Fu hesitated. Inwardly, he listened to the little hiss the pipe-smoke made in his throat. No, that didn’t sound right. He knew himself that much. There was no spell in him at this moment. Any attempt at magic would fizzle away like a spark that didn’t strike the pipe-moss. Maybe politeness was the best defence?

”I do beg thy forgiveness. I thought it was thy colleague, who no doubt hath sent you down here. I arrived here on a string of unfortunate crates, erm, circumstances, and …" Fu had made a slight but polite bow as he spoke. The woman’s eyes, however, did not reflect acknowledgement of courtesy. Looking into these eyes – barely visible in the cargo hold’s gloom, yet expressive with a fierce resolve that Fu, unfortunately for him, more often experienced through the deeds of others than in his own soul – caused him to lose the thread of the apologetic speech he had planned to make. Gathering courage nonetheless, the wizard stretched out his hand for a greeting (the palm still scaly from landing roughly on Ciosa's quay last night) and said with a hopeful smile: ”I am glad to make thy acquaintance. My name be Fu Luft."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:41:46 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »

Lieutenant Ustaskjan watched with approval as the dwarf powered ahead; maybe this motley crew could work as a team, afterall?  Picking the pace back up, she continued on her own run, observing the other two men closely.
   Hylphan seemed to be at home on board a ship, he didn't stumble, and his confidence showed clearly in his stride.  Malavon on the other hand, though exceptionally fast, didn't seem to have his sea-legs; not yet, anyway.
   Royce was busy doing his push-ups, with the dwarf on his back!  Not to be outdone, the lieutenant blasted her share out with one of her favourite variations; powering her hands off the deck and clapping on each lift.  Soon, her blood was pumping, and she felt ready for a fight.
   It wasn't exactly clear who won the race, though it had certainly been Malavon or Hylphan.  When Koka and Royce eventually finished, the lieutenant addressed the whole group again.
   "Very good, men; I hope we're all warmed up now!"
   Then, indicating a small portion of the deck, she issued her next order.
   "I want us to do some sparring; empty hands at first.  You can do anything except bite, eye-gouge or strike the neck!  The winner will be the first to land a knock-out,  or to force a submission.  To indicate your submission, you must shout, 'yield!'
   "We'll spar at the same time.  Koka and Royce over here; Hylphan and Malavon over there!  Remember, no weapons except your own bodies!  Knock-out or submission to win!  Let's go!"
   The lieutenant stood to the side, her hands akimbo, as she prepared to judge the matches.  Meanwhile, a couple of idlers had drawn near to the cramped arena.
   "I betz ye five sans the lit'le fella winz," one said to the other.
   "Alright," his friend replied.  "You've got a bet!"  'n what about the other two?"
   The first man cast a critical look at Hylphan and Malavon, and rubbed his stubbly chin.
   "That one!" he said, pointing at Hylphan.  "'e's got the look o' a sailor 'bout 'im, 'e 'as!"
   Then, after a brief shake of the hands, the two men watched events unfold.

Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:20 AM »

Royce listened to the lieutenant, and he sighed audibly.  This woman was going to have them half dead long before they got to where they were going.  Sparring?  And he and the dwarf had been set up against one another.  Again, just great.  Slight height difference?  At least it was in his favour. 

He followed the dwarf to where they were ordered to and the two people faced each other and assumed a defencive stance each.   Well, better get some ground rules out of the way first.  "Look, we don't want to kill each other, or cripple one another, so I will agree not to try and ruin your bad arm if you agree not to break my bad leg.  Agreed?"  Royce was relieved when the dwarf nodded curtly.  Ok, good.  At least the two of them wouldn't be useless when they reached shore again. 

They began circling each other, like two dogs about to fight over a bone.  Royce was sure Koka was snarling under that beard, though he could not see it.  It just felt like the dwarf was snarling.  He too, then, assumed a look of determination.  At least he had the reach advantage.  He would have to use that.

Not wanting to hurt Koka, Royce figured it would be best just to knock him down and then subdue him.  They circled further, each making a few feints in order to discover the weakness in the other.  Of course, Royce found his straight off.  The dwarf was considerably less agile on the wounded arm side.  He had promised not to injure the arm, not that he would not exploit that weakness.  With that in mind, he feinted to the good arm side, then abruptly changed the agle of his attack, and hit the dwarf with all his force upon Koka's right shoulder.

It was if Royce were trying to knock over a tree stump, or a large barrel full of wine.  He slammed all his weight into the diminutive dwarf, but Koka was a solid mass.  There was no give there at all, and Royce was momentarily stunned.  It was enough time for him to feel the dwarf's fist catch him in the gut, and the wind was knocked forcefully from him.

Royce jumped back to protect himself and to catch his breath.  When he had enough air to speak, he grinned at the dwarf.  "Solid little bugger you are."  He was sure Koka's eyes were sparkling.

He then had to jump out of the way, as Koka lunged at him, but with Royce's long arms, he was able to keep out of the way.  It did, however, open up a small opening in the dwarf's defences, which Royce took advantage of.  He threw himself at Koka, who was now no longer facing him full on, and was more turned sideways, his crippled arm closest to Royce.  Royce wrapped his arms around the dwarfs thick barrel chest, and pulled Koka backwards on top of him.  He struggled to hold on tight to the dwarf, his arms squeezing tighter.  He was amazed at how powerful Koka's chest was.  The muscles were bulging, they were... not muscles?  They were....

"Wha-!"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:29:26 AM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Royce

Violence is not the answer.  But, it will buy you time to think of one.
Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »

Rhia took her eyes away from the ocean, where they were decidedly lodged in an attempt of distraction. A man -Jameson, wasn't it?- was hastening out of the sick bay to her side. The doctor sent him? He began to worriedly ask after her health; the grey-eyed girl smiled feebly.

"Maybe you'd like a cup of cha'ah?" he asked with worry in his face. Before Rhia could answer, the captain was standing there, tall and brave and concerned.

"Rhia, you look profoundly unwell! What has the doctor been doing to you?"

At this Jameson protested rather fussily, saying something about fainting and blood and cha'ah- cha'ah? How did that match up with the first two?

The captain looked at the other man, his golden eyebrows raised. "Of course the blood doesn't suit her, boy! Why, whoever heard of a lady that could stand such a thing!" He snapped his fingers at a new thought. "Jameson! Run ahead and put the kettle on- we'll join you presently!"

Fjorwek beamed down at Rhia and gave her his arm as Jameson scampered off. "Now, perhaps you'll allow me to assist you- I'd hate for you to collapse on the way."

Rhia gave him a sweet smile, accepting his proffered -strong- arm. "I thank you, Captain, both for your generosity and your kindness. I am sure that you are accustomed to more robustness, but you have been exceedingly patient with me, and I am grateful to you for that."

A shudder wrenched through the slight girl. Were those the screams of the sailor fated to have one leg less, or was it merely her sickened brain trying to fit things into the situation? The fighters had finished their run and were now sparring- The animal man -Royce!- and the friendly dwarf, Malavon and the weathered elf. Royce was crunching his partner to his chest -Rhia didn't know the proper technical term for it- and looked like he was winning, though the girl was no judge of these types of physical contests. After a moment of further inspection, she noticed that the man had a look of extreme discomfort displayed on his face like an ill-fitting tapestry. Rhia shrugged mentally. If it was important she would probably be told about it. And who knew, it was probably something that she already knew.

Malavon Despana
Wizard's Bane
Approved Character

Maelf , Helcrani Sanhorrhim

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »

The race was over , and as Mal predicted the Hylphan and him were the only ones to complete it , the dwarf and Royce were no match , one with a bad leg and the other with an arm , is this half of our fighting force? What was Jorn thinking ?.
Malavon heard the lieutenant separate the four in two groups , sparring she said ...
not that Malavon didn´t enjoy a test of skill , but she said that was a fight with bare knuckles , Malavon instantly caressed his left hand , his ever remind of the hate he have of mages , his left hand that was little more than charcoal now , hopping that she didn´t start to hurt now , Malavon took his cloak out , not bothering to took his gloves since he did want to conceal his weakness and narrowing his eyes towards his opponent , Malavon said to the lieutenant " I am not here to entartain you , much less with bare fist , I am a warrior not bar brawler , if you want to see how people make fools of themselves , use the cripples" , Malavon pointed the other two , Koka and Royce ,that were already fighting , grabbing each other , is this fighting .

He then noticed something that he didn´t before , Hylphan finished the race the same time that he , maybe he had something hidden , after all he did seem more a sailor than a fighter ,smiling Malavon said " But maybe Ill entertain you this time , are you ready old man ?"  Malavon said moving quickly towards Hylphan trowing a punch . 

Ill give you a moment to comfort each others before I end your pathetic lives !!

Malavon The Mage Killer
Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »

"Are you ready old man?"  Malavon said, moving quickly towards Hylphan and throwing a punch.
     Hylphán leaned slightly to one side, watching the other's hand pass inches from his head.  As if in slow  motion, Hylphán reached out to lightly grasp Malavon's arm, just above the wrist, giving it a twist.  Malavon's body, following through on the punch, seemed to twist itself into a knot and he landed on his back on the deck.  Hylphán had to give the man credit though, at the moment of impact Malavon continued the roll and was back on his feet in a flash.  The man did know how to take a fall correctly, as most men would have landed with a splat, looking like a bug, squashed underfoot.
     It seems Hylphán's Doimo brawling techniques were unknown to Malavon.  The man was quick enough though, and may learn a thing or two from this sparring match.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:31:31 PM by Hylphán » Logged

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]