Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phlegah Sphirn / Volkek-Oshra / Apprentice Metal Crafter  (Read 10382 times)
Valannia
ElvenKnight
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »

No matter the viewpoint, it is evident that it grants her an enhanced set of focus/will. At least according to this quote. Add to this that she can not cast without possession of it and you have a very serious weakness.
Phlegah also believes the ruby she inlaid in her amulet helps focus her magical talents and helps her to call on Anilya in her spellcrafting. Occasionally, Phlegah is able to achieve more powerful results with her spells than normal.
Possibly some light rewording here would take away from the strength garnered from it. If she is able to achieve more powerful results, it transcends a typical focal object and raises a question how it does this. I am assuming it grants her stronger will, which leads me once again to listing it as a strength. The lack of possessing it is without question a very serious weakness, that should be noted. IMHO

"Will history remember this day as the day demons arrived,
or the day saviors arrived?"
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:16 AM »

Which would give the amulet powers. I think this was the original quote, but it has been exaggerated through this discussion, on how it should be dealt with and hence all the confusion poor Dek is experiencing. Too many people telling him too many different things.

Perhaps just remove that instance where she gets more potent results, add a weakness, and everything should be solved.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Valannia
ElvenKnight
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 05:32:53 AM »

It doesn't give the amulet powers ... the amulet gives her strength of will. Very similar to a priest holding a cross, does the cross have power? No. Does it give the priest strength of conviction? Yes. I don't see a variety of viewpoints expressed, Azhira and I have been on the same page since the discussion commenced.

The resolution you suggest is perfect Kalina, but merely noting the amulet under a strength in addition would clear it up as well. I would guess that would be Phlegh's decision to make and I shall bow out, as to not clutter her thread further. :)

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 05:47:51 AM »

No solutions or resolutions had been given to him which he understood, only confusing him more throughout the conversation. I had spoken with him in IRC about it, and explained it simply in very few words in what you two were trying to tell him. But nothing to solve the issue had been presented at the time as I felt he would be able to figure it out.

It doesn't give the amulet powers ... the amulet gives her strength of will. Very similar to a priest holding a cross, does the cross have power? No. Does it give the priest strength of conviction? Yes. I don't see a variety of viewpoints expressed, Azhira and I have been on the same page since the discussion commenced.

What I merely said, was what you two were saying was even confusing to me, as how you were saying it implied something completely different than what you were mostly likely meaning. The words used don't always have the meaning you believe they do, hence the confusion on such a simple matter.

Merely noting it under a strength would not solve it, as a weakness would need to be added as well, so either way, two things need to be accomplished, which ever he chooses. Not all or just one.

@Dek:

Grab me in IRC if you have any questions. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:50:00 AM by Kalína Mërénwèn Dalá'isyrás » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Valannia
ElvenKnight
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:57 AM »

Where does this not imply adding it as a weakness as well?
strength in addition
I also clearly mentioned what I would like to see. If this created confusion for her, then I apologize.
What I personally would like to see is simply this, as you have already defined both aspects. The amulet listed as a strength, since it empowers her spells to be more effective. And since you mention that not owning it would limit her magic immensely, to the point of not being capable of casting. A very serious weakness for a mage right there.

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »

The amulet, like Azhira's river stones, are a mental thing. Like a security blanket. With them, she feels empowered. Without them, she feels weaknened and loses some amount of confidence. There is something about having a physical object of your element in your hands that mentally balances the caster. Some CDs list the focal object as a strength, but some don't. Azzy does not, but it is mentioned in her magic section only. I'd say its up to the writer to decide how much of a strength it is, or a weakness it is without it. It may be a major thing, or a small thing.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Phlegah Sphirn
Crafty Spellcrafter
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »

I trust I've understood it this time. I spoke with Kalina about it again in IRC and I think I picked up (finally) what people were saying.

I have
- removed the mention of it making her spells stronger
- included the amulet as a weakness (might need to give that weakness a different title)
- added an incident dealing with it in her history
- described the amulet in greater detail further down in the CD.

Don't burn yourself ... that's MY job!
Phle's CD
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »

clap clap clap

Fantastic work, Dek! Your changes demonstrate that you did grasp the confusion we threw at you.  :D I particularly love the way you integrated the Everbright worship in Phlegah's life. She is a very devoted member and that is how I envisioned her members to be.

Second Approval! Nod

Remove your color and one of us mods or admins can bump you back down.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Phlegah Sphirn
Crafty Spellcrafter
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:58 AM »

Ok ... thanks for that, Azhira, for the approval and to Kalina for talking it through with me in IRC. Thanks to people in general for being patient with me. I've removed the unneeded colours now.

Phle's CD
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 04:33:45 AM »

Okies. Rearchiving now :)

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »

Going up!

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Phlegah Sphirn
Crafty Spellcrafter
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 11:00:43 PM »

Thanks for bringing Phlegah out of the archives for me, Kalina. I have corrected her Pai'Orin strength with the correct age for Pai'Orin as well as the way in which she gained Pai'Orin.

I have also updated the history section (right at the end) to bring in her interactions with Deklitch Hardin ...

Please let me know if there's any problems with my adjustments.

Phlegah.

Phle's CD
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »

Looks good to me, hun. Go ahead and remove the colour and we will rearchive. :)

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Phlegah Sphirn
Crafty Spellcrafter
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »

Much obliged Kalina, colours are now removed!

Phlegah

Phle's CD
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »

And bumped back down!

:D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print