Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jolie Bellefleur/ Centoraurian/ Artisan  (Read 3700 times)
Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« on: June 19, 2009, 07:07:52 AM »

Name  Jolie Bellefleur
Age  22
Race  Human
Tribe  Centoraurian
Height  1 Ped, 1 Fore, 1 Palmspan
Weight  9 Hebs, 3 Ods
Hair  Sor'inyt Orange
Eyes  Herne Green
Title  Seraphic Artisan
Occupation  Artist

[Description]
Although rather petite, Jolie's body is proportioned quite nicely. Her legs, while slender, are shapely and lead up to the soft curve of her hips. Perhaps her waist is a tad too narrow but her stomach is flat and her breast, though not in any great quantity, are perfectly rounded and perky, with a small brown mole situated just below the collarbone. Slim arms end in a pair of small, dainty hands whose fingers are perpetually stained with paint. Atop a delicate neck sits an almost cherub like face dotted with freckles that touched every feature of her face from her forehead, to her cheeks and even her generously full lips. Clusters of the freckles can even be found a top the smooth ivory skin of her shoulders, back and knees.

Soft, orange hair falls naturally in wild ringlets around her face. Cut just below her shoulders, its usually let free to fall where it will, but occasionally she'll sweep up the troublesome tresses and pin the mass at the crown of her head. Even restrained as such, stray strands are won't to come loose, tickling her ears and neck. While painting, a small green kerchief is used to keep the hair back from her face and off her neck. In contrast to her hair, her eyes are a rich, earthy hazel that compliments her coloring magnificently. Often compared to those of a feline, besides her hair, her eyes are usually the first feature others tend to comment on.

[Clothing]
When the weather is warm and pleasant she'll wear a simple pale green, off the shoulder dress that flows down to skim the tops of her shoes, accompanied with a similarly colored light cloak. A bodice only a few shades darker than the dress is fitted tightly to her upper body. Usually some sort of flora can be found secured in the mass of ringlets a top her head. Lastly, a pair of soft leather boots fit snugly around her feet, reaching to just above her ankles. Of course, it's inevitable that splatters of paint end up speckling several places on her wardrobe.

During the colder seasons Jolie will exchange the light, airy dress for a long-sleeve version in a much thicker material. A petticoat and a pair of light brown leggings is added as well as a pair of socks and warmer boots. A thick brown, velvet cloak lined with emerald green silk, her most prized possession, is the final touch.

[Personality]
With such a free spirit, it's rare to see Jolie in one place for too long. Constantly restless and ready for change, her home is the road which gives her a never ending supply of scenery and people to paint. While there usually isn't much of a future for a traveling artist, there is nothing she'd rather be doing.

Kind and generous, for the most part, it's rather difficult to rile Jolie out of her calm, serene disposition. However, due to the unfortunate events of her past, small things such as being touched a certain way or witnessing a scene that reminds her of said past, will trigger flashbacks that send her into a terrifying daydream. Not only is it hard to rouse her from these nightmares, people often don't even try for they simply assume she's mad.

[Strengths]
Artisan - Her artistic ability enables to her make a living for herself. With no other special talents in her arsenal, drawing and painting are her only means to earn money. Luckily for her, she's more than competent with a brush and easel. For those who have seen her art, they offer nothing but praise and haggle over a sample of her work.  

Dogged Determination - Stubborn as a mule, once Jolie decides on a course of action nothing short of death or injury can dissuade her from completing her task. Now, of course that is a slight exaggeration, but the point is still the same.

Small Dagger - By no means is this a weapon for battle, but it has aided her in repelling many lusty advances or a beggar with a mind to rob her.

Quinn - Her loyal horse Quinn makes it possible for long distance travel with a rather hefty load to carry. Besides that, he can also be a mere source of companionship.

[Weaknesses]
Flashbacks - Triggered by events reminding her of her past, Jolie is sent into a terrifying daydream that leaves her in a cold sweat and unconscious of reality. In this trance she sees only blurred visions of the most unpleasant and traumatic events of her adolescence. Not only does this leave her vulnerable for theft of attack, it also repels many who simply think her to be crazy.

Timid/Shy - Social settings often cause her some anxiety. It's difficult for her to overcome her trepidations and approach strangers with conversation. Even smalltalk leaves her feeling awkward and often she talks too fast, causing her to stutter and stammer over her words. This makes it somewhat difficult for her to find potential buyers for her art.

Spendthrift - A spur of the moment trip or purchase is part of Jolie's day-to-day life, even when she can't afford it. Usually riding the line between poor and penniless, her financial position can only be blamed on one person. Admittedly, herself.

Photo-sensitivity - Extended exposure to sunlight causes her skin cells to appear foreign to her own body, sometimes causing a slight rash to appear in exposed areas. If she remains in the sun for too long she begins to experience symptoms such as fatigue, nausea and dizziness. Usually she wears a light, breathable cloak with the hood drawn up to protect her from the suns rays.

[History]

Jolie is originally from Milkengrad where she had lived with her father, Randolph Bellefleur, and her older brother Samuel. Her mother, Sophia, had died in childbirth along with her twin brother who didn’t live long enough to even be granted a name. At the age of thirteen her father fell gravely ill with a disease known as consumption. Jolie was immediately sent to Salsair to live with Theodore Snead, her uncle on her mother’s side. She took only a few small possessions, including one of two family horses that her brother had given her, and a green velvet and silk cloak that had belonged to her mother and was one of her most treasured possessions. The horse, Quinn, had been purchased not long before that from a widow whose husband had just passed and no longer had a use for him. He had a calm, mild temperament and was the perfect horse for a young girl. While she had some experience riding the older horse, Beraht, she was still young and small and nowhere near skilled enough for a full-grown, spirited animal. Not much longer than a year had passed before the disease had claimed Samuel’s life as well.

Her uncle treated her little better than a servant, except for the fact that servants were compensated for their labor. The punishment for incompetence was, more often than not, the wooden rod. Usually he was careful enough not the leave visible marks but on days where his drunken state clouded his reason, she couldn’t show her face in public for days. As she got older his incestuous attraction became more and more apparent. Fortunately, his advances were limited to lecherous stares and sordid sexual innuendos.

With the only spare time she had, Jolie would often sit in her room, painting the imaginary place she went in her dreams. Bustling cities and ethereal forests covered in the morning dew. Even with her talent, her earliest works couldn’t be described as anything better than mediocre. Years of practice, however, honed her skills until she was capable of capturing even the smallest expression in a person’s eyes. Villagers often came to her to commission portraits and always she refused payment of any kind except for trinkets and mementos from far off places. Soon she had a rather expansive collection of toys, clothing, books and other assorted knick-knacks from the many corners of the world. Even the smallest clay earring wasn’t too insignificant to catch her interest.

Although the next ordeal was the catalyst that would change her life forever, the memory is still too fresh in her mind for her to see it in any way other than the horrendous act of violation that it was. Her uncle, in a drunken stupor, came home from the pub one night and saw Jolie, brushing out her long, fiery locks before the hearth. The sight of her was too much for his inebriated mind to resist. His conscience was nowhere to be found as he defiled her on the hard packed dirt floor. As a girl of limited knowledge and experience, the event was nothing less than the worst kind of immoral nightmare.

It wasn’t until after that incident that she came to the resolute decision to flee. Shearing her hair, she took her limited possessions and left. It has been six years since that fateful day and traveling has turned out to be an expensive but extremely worthwhile venture. Still, on occasion the memories from her past have been known to come back and haunt her, dragging her mind back to the feeling of stark contrast between the cold, solid floor at her back and the hot, doughy form of her uncle above her. But those moments are fleeting and, more often than not, quickly forgotten in wake of her newest escapade.

[Familiar]
Name - Quinn
Gender - Male
Age - Approx. 13
Species - Horse
Breed - Centoraurian

Height - 2 Peds, 2 Palmspans
Weight - 8 Pygges, 1 Hafeb
Hair - Elken Brown
Eyes - Charcoal

Description - Given to Jolie by her brother before his passing, Quinn was the perfect horse for a young girl of 12-years-old. Mild tempered and gentle, Jolie took an instant liking to the creature and the sentiment was returned. Now Quinn travels constantly with his owner, helping with the luggage in many situations. A soft gray blanket is draped over his back and secured by a worn brown saddle. Saddlebags on either side hold most of her belongings but the rest, including her easel, are tied down behind just behind the saddle. Loyal to her after so many years, he has been trained to come at the sound of her whistle and is occasionally rewarded with a piece of fruit or a sugar cube when available.    

[Weapons]
A small dagger first belonging to her uncle, its only purpose is for self defense. Old and worn, it has a simply carved wooden hilt with a steel blade. Even being scratched Jolie keeps it shiny and perfectly sharpened, wearing it in a sheath secured around the middle of her thigh.

[Belonings]
Easel
Pad of Parchment
Charcoal
Set of Paints
Assortment of Brushes
Sleeping Pad/ Quilt
Flint
Change of Clothes
Money Pouch
Hair Comb
Tooth Cabbage
Dried Jerky
Fruit

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:36:18 PM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »

I'm still working on the History, but comments on anything else are more than welcome!

Thanks, Jolie

Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:17:34 AM »

I'm going to go right ahead and jump you with my worst pet peeve. Over using the santharian colours. For Coor's sake, you do not refer to your hair as cinnabar or mandarin orange, it's red or orange. The wall is not a lovely shade of South Sea Blue, it's blue, maybe even teal. We are not writing purple prose!

That being said, you appear to have everything in order. Good job!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:18:33 AM by Valan » Logged

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Approved Character

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »

Valan, it has been a common practice for people to use Santharian colors in their CDs for quite a long time. It is even encouraged in many cases, here and over on the Dev side. We are in Santharia, after all, so it makes sense that we would use the colors of our own world.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »

Hello Dear! I know you are still working this, yet it is intrigued me and I have enjoyed what you have written thus far. I am gonna give a few comments on your strengths and weaknesses real quick.

Strengths
Artisan - Her artistic ability enables to her make a living for herself. With no other special talents in her arsenal, drawing and painting are her only means to earn money. Luckily for her, she's more than competent with a brush and easel. For lovers of art, her work is much sought after.

Is she widely known with her abilities? Or are they local to where she lives? Perhaps altering the last portion to mostly saying her work is admired by those who meet her instead? Unless she is well known over the world, I am not sure "sought after" is what you are exactly looking for.

Dogged Determination - Once Jolie decides on a course of action, nothing short of death or injury can dissuade her from completing her task. Now, of course that is a slight exaggeration, but the point is still the same.

You could most likely include "stubborn" into that paragraph. Can't have that determination without the resolve and headstrong nature, generally speaking.

Small Dagger - By no means is this a weapon for battle, but it has aided her in repelling many lusty advances or a beggar with a mind to rob her.

Quinn - Her loyal horse Quinn makes it possible for long distance travel with a rather hefty load to carry. Besides that, he can also be a mere source of companionship.

Weaknesses
Flashbacks - Triggered by events reminding her of her past, Jolie is sent into a terrifying daydream that leaves her in a cold sweat and unconscious of reality. Not only does this leave her vulnerable for theft of attack, it also repels others who think her to be crazy.

Is this explained further? So, they basically render her unconscious and "ill"? I guess a clearer explanation on what happens would be a good idea.
Petite Frame - Not much larger than a child, it's not too surprising that her ability to defend herself also doesn't exceed that of a child.

There are other reasons why a petite form would be a disadvantage, and I would like to see them portrayed by your words. The manner of your defense only depends on your training, wit, speed, and other factors. Size isn't that big for such a manner if you are resourceful.

Spontaneous - A spur of the moment trip or purchase is part of Jolie's day-to-day life, even when she can't afford it. Usually riding the line between poor and penniless, her financial position can only be blamed on one person. Admittedly, herself.

Not sure if "spontaneous" is the right word for this weakness. I would think 'spendthrift' is more on that respect. Just a thought.

Orphan - With her parents, grandparents and her only brother deceased the only living relative Jolie can claim is an uncle whose sadistic view on reality is what cause her to flee. In times of trouble she hasn't had a single person to go to for help since she was barely fourteen-years-old.

How does this render her at a disadvantage. To me, you just explained a section of her history without any real provocation to what you were really meaning.

I hope those will help you on your way!  Thumb up

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:19:21 PM »

Comments would be greatly appreciated
Please and thanks

-Jolie

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:22 AM »

Are you finished with it? Or just looking for comments? You still have the pencilcon up, is the reason I ask :)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 06:29:50 AM »

Whoops, sorry.
Yeah, I'm finished with it.

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 06:40:17 AM »

Hi Jolie!

I'd like to see a bit more history on your horse. Maybe tell how you learned to ride and tame him. And a bit more in his description. I think it's a little short. Otherwise, I'd say you are almost ready for approval.  Thumb up

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:44 AM »

I'm not sure if you'd like more added
Please let me know

Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

Half-elf-Tethinrhim/Avennorian

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:51 AM »

I think Azzy means that you should try to elaborate on as much as possible. Your history explains how you came to be the person you are, so details are very important. I'll leave it up to Azhira to explain what she means. Hope I have at least helped a little bit. :D

"Sympathy is a luxury I simply cannot afford, for in the death of others do I make my living."

Sylvia Palinor
Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »

This might sound a little weird, but would you mind not formatting your entire CD so that the text is centered? It's a little hard to read given the fact that you've used a small, serifed font and then centered. The beginning of the lines jump around quite a bit and it's rather hard on the eyes.

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Jolie Bellefleur
Seraphic Artisan
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:33:12 AM »

Is that better?

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:20 AM »

It certainly looks better to me, Jolie.

Thanks.

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »

Honestly, I like the simplicity of this character. Nothing overly done or excessive.

First Approval

P.S. - your last two sections are still centered.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:35:58 AM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]