Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The War of the Blood  (Read 5460 times)
NecroMage
NecroMage
Approved Character

« on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »

The War of The Blood

Greetings Puny Mortals! I want to make a story. It's an idea I had with Bahran years ago and would finally like to revisit. The following has been primarily and shamelessly copied and pasted from that original post:

The History

First off, I strongly suggest that you read the history of the War of the Blood, which can be found on the main site (The War of the Blood).

A basic sum up of the War will be available below:

Battle of Annihilation at the Zeiphyrian Forests (806 b.S.) – The human forces (consisting of most of the human tribes and the dwarves) assault the Elven fortress of Elving, south of the Zeiphyrian Forests. After several months of fighting, Elving was destroyed and most of the Zeiphyrian Forests as well as the Auturian Woods were burnt.

The First Great Flood (804  b.S.) – Due to the deforestation by the humans in an attempt to reach Elving faster, most of the Zeiphyrian Forests were completely cleared. Heavy rains came and the Thaevelvil River was flooded. The rain continued for three weeks, and the flood took a further two to subside. The flood swept away everything in its path.

The Curse of Fire (800 b.S.) – The elven prince Tacunija was murdered by Helcrani rogues. As he died, Tacunija cursed his killers and their people always to fight among each other and to be rewarded for the crime by fire. This was the Curse of Fire, sealed by three explosions erupting from the Hèckra. The elves attacked the Helcrani in retaliation and the Helcrani retreated to the dwarves in the Eastern Fores Mountains. The dwarves accepted them because of their hatred for the elves.

The Second Great Flood (796 b.S.) - The second flood occurred in much the same way as the first, but affected a slightly lesser area. It cleared the last remaining fragments of forest around the river banks, cleaving the Quallian from the main branch of the forest.

Ambush at the Xythrian Ridge (789 b.S.)
– Diraton, the captain of the cavalry of a small division belonging to the human tribe of the Centoraurians, is captured. He knows the location of a large human force, and the elves try to get the information from him. He pretends to lead them to the army, but instead sacrifices himself by running off a cliff, taking many unsuspecting elves with him. The place of this incidence was later on called the Elvenfall.

The Siege and the Fall of Ximax (777-773 b.S.)
– The dark elves from the Shivering Woods lay siege to the peninsula where Ximax is, an important location for the humans. The siege lasted four years, as the peninsula is surrounded by the massive Zirkumire Mountains and can only be reached through a small passage which was easily defended by the human army of magicians residing at the peninsula near Ximax. As the food rations finally started running low, the Ximaxian army was forced to leave the defending towers more often than at the beginning of the siege. The human army was caught in a trap by the elven mages and was nearly completely destroyed. They surrendered to the dark elves and the battle was over. The dark elves, as a first act of revenge for their fallen, burned the sacred houses of the Mages' Academy.

Helcrani join Human Armies (772 b.S.) – The first Helcrani joined the human armies as mercenaries, not only being distinguished but also acquiring valuable military experience. This was the dawn of the notorious Helcrani fighting technique.

The High War (751 b.S.) – Curogane, leader of the Helcrani forces, launched a surprise attack against the Goltherlon forest. The attack was successful at the beginning and many elves were taken prisoners. A small child got away and informed the Goltherhim sovereign. The Goltherhim ambushed the human army, but the humans escaped.

The elves were encouraged by their victory and attacked Helcrah. Curogane took a small force and attacked the elves. The Helcrani managed to win the battle due to Gunold, who happened to be nearby with his Centoraurian troops.

That’s basically where the story stops, so if you want to know the rest go read it yourself.

The Idea

So, the story is divided into THREE epochs. These “epochs” as we call them, will be major battles of the War of the Blood (this will make sense if you read the history of the war.)

Epoch 1: Battle of Annihilation at the Zeiphyrian Forests (806 b.S.)

Human side: Assault the fortress of Elving

Elf side: Defend the fortress of Elving

This is where the human forces assault Elving. There is no real victor of this battle, so it will be pretty open-ended for us to interpret.

The Battle of Annihilation will be split up into several parts (sagas, chapters, whathaveyou.) The battle lasts several months.

Epoch 2: The Siege and the Fall of Ximax (777-773 b.S.)

Human: Defend Ximax

Elf: Assault Ximax

The Siege of Ximax is where the dark elves siege Ximax. The humans hold Ximax for 4 years before they finally lose to the elves.

This one will also be several chapters, because the Siege is 4 years.

Epoch 3: The High War (751 b.S.)

Human: Assault Goltherlon forest; survive retaliation; defend Helcrah

Elf: Resist attacks; retaliate; assault Helcrah

This is broken into two parts: the part where Curogane launches his attack, and the part where the Goltherhim retaliate.

This battle will last several months, like the first one, and be broken into various sagas or chapters.

Other Stuff

Co-Mod: The position of Co-Mod for this story is currently available has been filled!

Josephine, Valan and Sylv have offered their fealty to me in this effort.

Also, Josephine has offered her service as official historian so we don't accidentally break the time line with our childish puppetry of historical characters.

Tense: Everyone will speak in past, third-person tense (No “I” or “me” or anything of the sort, period. With the exception of dialogue, in which case it’s allowed.).

New Characters: For this story everyone will have to make a new character, because the events were set quite a while ago and all of the current characters that people are making are set in the present -- thus at this point all the people involved in the story would be long dead (it was over 2000 years ago, after all).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:01:10 AM by NecroMage » Logged

I am your ultimate destiny. Whether you choose to follow me and remain alive, or choose to defy me and become another soldier in my legion is your decision. Choose wisely.
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »

Can't we not make a new character? I mean, FD is set in the past and we're allowed to play what we have.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:46:11 AM »

Hey Necro.  Looks like an ambitious concept here.  Can we (Admins) get a Story Creation formatted detailed synopisis of this story, so that we may discuss it in private?  Feel free to PM it to us, so that no story surprises are lost to potential players. :D

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »

Glad you are reviving this, Necro! Any word from Bah at all? I know he popped onto the boards after you left.

@Seh
More than likely you will have to, as it is set farther in the past than FD

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
NecroMage
NecroMage
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:54 AM »

Seh: No, for two reasons.

A) As Kali said, this is set farther in the past than FD. This happened thousands of years ago in Santharia's history.

B) The inspiration for this story came about because Bah and me were discussing how characters very seldom die in RPs. The obvious answer why is because players are attached to their characters and like playing them, as they should. With this setting, players should be a bit more liberal with the deaths of their characters because A) The setting requires a lot of bloodshed, what with it being a war and all, and B) These are not your "real" characters. They can be deep and well written and wonderful and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, this would be the only story you'd likely get to play them in. By modern Santharian time they're all long, long dead so whether they died in the war or at home in a cabin from old age is irrelevant to your ability to play them anymore.

Alt: Not at this moment, simply because I don't have one yet. This is an ambitious project, and the last time I tried to get it started it was hovering around the "Can we even do this?" step for reasons related to player interest. What you see is as deep as the plot goes for the moment until I sit down and start scripting out the flow of the battles.

It just occurred to me I'd be defining Santharian history with that. Awesome.

Kali: Bah informed me he wouldn't be doing any RPing or such on this project.

I am your ultimate destiny. Whether you choose to follow me and remain alive, or choose to defy me and become another soldier in my legion is your decision. Choose wisely.
Thodin Coldflame Lomin
The Cutpurse Gentleman
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:23:48 AM »

Um hey I don't know if I'm allowed to post here, but I'd like to say one thing. Wouldn't that kind of character creation have to be a lot less elaborate than the current format that we are using? I mean isn't it going to be harder to create temporary characters? Unless of course we're using pre-made characters or unless we're allowed multiple characters is that really going to work out?

"Of course I steal things. Wait. What do you mean you don't get it? Of course I'm a thief, but that's not going to stop me from being a nice guy now is it? Yes I took your wallet but so what? If it's not me it might as well be someone else right?"

- Thodin Lomin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:25:59 AM »

Kali may contradict me on this, but all CD's have to go through the CD creation process and will be judged on that basis.  They will need to be marked as specific to this story, but all the necessary prerequisites will need to be there.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Thodin Coldflame Lomin
The Cutpurse Gentleman
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:36 AM »

Well with that being said, by running this story it will be possible to use the Goltherhim as playable character right? According to the history books that would mean they were still a live and hadn't yet melded with the Helcrani right?

"Of course I steal things. Wait. What do you mean you don't get it? Of course I'm a thief, but that's not going to stop me from being a nice guy now is it? Yes I took your wallet but so what? If it's not me it might as well be someone else right?"

- Thodin Lomin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:20 AM »

Without looking at the entry, and knowing whether it was developed enough yet, I would say yes.  But, like I said, Kali is in charge of the CD side of things, so it is more her descretion.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »

Well, considering you can't correctly tell me which tribe they melded with, I have to say no. They melded with the Sanhorrhim, not the Helcrani. They fought against the Helcrani.

Now, my issue with allowing certain things we don't normally, is mass confusion and and misunderstandings. Since we don't use a lot of the tribes which would be available at that time period, there is and will be a general lack of understanding and interpretation by the players. This could in turn create too much extra work for the moderators who have to take care of the normal new players then old players who aren't sure of what they are doing.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thodin Coldflame Lomin
The Cutpurse Gentleman
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:01:48 AM »

Kalina I'm hurt by that, according to what's written in the Restrictions, and I quote,

"Goltherhim: Extinct; melded with the Sanhorrhim and Helcrani in 706 b.S."

EDIT (A): My bad all knowing one, please teach me the way of the thread. *Gets on hands and knees*

EDIT (B): I will Valan, thanks for the heads up.  Thumb up
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:17:03 AM by Thodin Coldflame Lomin » Logged

- Thodin Lomin
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »

I read the actual entry, Thodin, not just the restrictions.

The restrictions are good guidelines, but it is outdated and often misinformation with direct information. It is in the process of being completely redone from scratch.

For looking at historic accuracy, always look at the entry if possible. The restrictions page is not the place to be looking for facts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:24:16 AM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

Before we jump the gun here, the Goltherhim did in fact merge with the Helcrani as well:
The elven Helcrani (Styrani) genetically belong to the Goltherrhim elves.
Genetically being the keyword, meaning they probably don't observe the cultural traditions of the Goltherhim. If you want the looks, you can play a Styrani. Otherwise, you're shot.
 However, that could have happened after they were absorbed into the Sanhorhim. Note also that there are already indications that they had merged when Milkengrad was constructed
730 b.S. The Helcrani are organized in 7 fractions, called fratrae. Five of them are human and named after the villages and one for the elves (Styran)

However: We see, 24 years later the following point: 706 b.S.
The dwindling Goltherrhim leave their tainted forest, moving to either Milkengrad or the Vontron.

Milkengrad is where the Helcrani live, however! the Votron forest's inhabitants are:
  Sanhorrhim inhabit the small Vontron forest, facing Cyan Sola Bay

So! This all goes to prove that the restrictions are technically correct, but they're also missing information.
@Thodin: Do your homework before you make points! Then you can be right.

Back to the topic at hand: I'm game for this. Who else?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:17:48 AM by Valan » Logged

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Approved Character

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:01:07 AM »

Back to what Necro said earlier, I really like the idea of creating a character that could be allowed to die in a story. I kinda like the depth that would add to the CD, as I would be envisioning their entire life through the CD. Very neat, I like this story idea!

Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »

Just so we know, the thread here has been updated. Co-mods have been found.

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]