Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help Desk: Home Q&A  (Read 4397 times)
Lia Diti
Motley Ditty
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:26 PM »

Alrighty! :D

"Darkness is the absence of light. Light gives me courage, brings me hope. Darkness sucks away all of those."
- Amelia "Lia" Diti
The Silent Watcher
New Santharian

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »

I just wanted to say what a brilliant concept this Forum is!

Unfortunately, my only approved character (the one many of you know me as) doesn't actually have anything you could even remotely describe as a home. Well, not unless you count his family's warg farm in the Prominent Mountains, but he hasn't been there for years.
During his travels, he camps wherever he happens to be when it goes dark, and at other times lodges with friends. He does have a small study cell back at the Compendium, but there's not even enough room to swing a Greenhouse attendant in there (believe me, he's tried!).
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:31 AM »

Maybe your approved character could visit the houses of others. I'm sure they wouldn't mind someone who silently watches as a house guest for a day or two ... and if you're well behaved, you might even get offered some cookies!

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Ylaya
Temptress
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:50 AM »

Come to the Banshee, maybe you find a property developer or something. One thing I can guarentee, ACTION!

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »

Without meaning to be rude here, Ylara, but please lets keep the discussion in these Home Sweet Homes threads to Home Sweet Home rather than trying to draw people who express interest in the homes to other RPing environments on site here. We are not in competition here, afterall.

Thank you

Dek

The Silent Watcher
New Santharian

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

Hhhmmm. Which of you fine folk would be willing to admit a clumsy orc into your place of residence? When he eventually reappears, obviously!
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:24 AM »

I'm sure Alt would welcome an orc at his house, for target practice if nothing else <G>

Ms Ditti is currently playing host to a hobbit ... he could visit there if he wanted to ... I'm sure an orc would know the niceties to using 'kerchiefs when coughing or sneezing

If Master Wargrider has an interest in music, and a way of getting over there, Scriabin has a house of music, you might like to consider that one.

Do orcs climb trees? If so, an elf has a tree house, and then of course, there is Foraste's house. Foraste is a compendiumist and Thorac might be able to stay there and help collect the eggs or something <G>

I'm pondering two houses for Dek ... firstly when he was younger ... basically a Rover Camp. Secondly, he's become quite friendly with the Blessed Sea elves ... and has built a house in their style up in their lands. And once that one is finished, he'd be welcome to visit there ... provided he promises to play nice with the elves. I might even be able to show him the whirlpool ... Tharoc isn't seasick, is he?

The Silent Watcher
New Santharian

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

Seasick? He gets queasy walking through puddles!

I had a quick look through the houses before I posted my earlier question. I'm not sure how well he would fit into any of them at the moment, to be honest.

I may just sit back and watch for a while, see if anything 'interesting' comes along.
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Story Mod

Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »

I have a question about the temperature in the city of Bardavos.

How cold are the winters.

The Narfost plains to the north have snow in the late winter.

In the south we have a hot desert, well the Aj‘Nuvic Grounds can have snow, and they are parts of the desert, although surrounded by mountains (who would also block too heavy clouds)

Looking at the map and reading the description I get the feeling that the city is well out of the desert and locate roughly right below the cliffs. Say a snowy day in the plains and a strong wind from the north. Would it then also be a snowy day in Bardavos ?

The reason i am asking here is because I am thinking about heating the floors or not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:18:03 AM by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 05:09:52 AM »

Being someone who has never seen snow before in my life, I've honestly got no idea, sorry.

Sývaein Sorossa
Scintillating Firestarter
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »

Arid regions with perennial rainfalls are the Open Woodlands south of the Plain of Uderza and Bardavos, the Norong'Sorno region: The volcano itself is partly wet due to the special weather conditions.
Rahaz-Dath covers the climate for all of that area. When in doubt Read Everything. (It also mentions that there is no snow in the Aj'nuvic grounds) LOL

The world will end in beautiful prose
And terrible fire
Just because it should
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Story Mod

Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »

I did my research and found nothing about snow or it's absence in Bardavos. You laugh and tell me to read everything. Ok I might have missed a thing or two, but that dos NOT give you the right to ridicule me.

No snow in the Aj'nuvic grounds?. It mentions that the days are very hot while the nights are extremely cold. Of course snow would melt during the day, but that dos not mean no snow during a night. After reading the Rahaz-Dath again I can find no statement about no snow, in the Aj'juvic grounds quite the opposite, although you have to go trough the link.

In winter, strong winds are blowing from north to south, where then strange weather conditions are observed. The cold, icy wind may meet air in the south, which is still warm, causing frequent storms. So it may well be that the only precipitation in the south falls as snow or hail.

Sarossa I really resent that post of yours. If you know the answere to my question then you don't bother to write it, but you do bother to ridicule me.

However if the Aj'nuvic grounds have snow or not as well as how Arid Bardavos might be is NOT the issue here. Winter temperature in Bardavos is, and you didn't really get me any closer to solving that problem.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »

Climate details have been a bit hazy, and a topic that has sometimes been a bit volatile on the development side.  There is often just a cursory mention of climate in many entries, not made any easier in this case by the Bardavos entry being an old one and not having been developed to the degree we insist upon now.

That said, you are correct that the Aj'nuvic grounds can have snow.  So can the Narfost Plain.  From my research, I saw that Bardavos is considered a semi arid climate, so I would think that in winter it can get cold, and there may be snow, but this would be a rare occurrence.

I applaud your search for accuracy, but in this case, there just might not be enough information to completely answer your question, so just go by what you think is correct.  This isn't a test, as such.  We do allow a bit of leeway on this side, as opposed to the nitpicking they can do on the Development side.  To be honest, what you put in your Home Site won't effect anyone else's writig here, not like a Dev entry effects other entries.  So, have fun with this; loosen up a bit, and I'm sure you will do fine.  If anything major sticks out, one of the Home Mods will gently guide you in the right direction.

If I may suggest, contact Talia Sturmwind via a PM and ask her.  She is the resident expert in that area of the world, and she might have the answers you seek.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »

As a general note and reminder for everyone, the same standards that apply in the CD boards and the other boards of the RPG forum apply here. That is, make comments here that are designed to help others. Don't come in here and seek to cause problems for others or to ridicule them. If you try to do that, I'll be unhappy ... and that would be a shame.  evil

Regarding your Bardavos question, Azalahn, I've copied it over to the Development side, so that hopefully Talia or someone else with knowledge of that area might be able to give you an answer.

Mr Singehands, don't forget the house that your brother started ... it too is looking rather interesting.  grin

Dek

Edit: Response from Talia over there for you :D

As Bardavos is at least located about 300 peds lower than the Narfost Plains and protected by the cliffs from the harsh northwestern winds, I would say no wind, but more a desert climate, though there is enough water in spring.  Fairly dry in summer and autumn, and hot. The big desert is very near.

No heating of the floors I would say, but open fires in the houses when it is chilly in winter. No temperature below freezing.

Please send me a PM next time :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:43:21 AM by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]