Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lyth Elstrum.:Quaelhoirhim:.Eyashene/Healer and Herbalist  (Read 12101 times)
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 03:59:23 AM »

Hi Lyth!

Well, I am not an admin or mod anymore so if I were you, I would get their permission to be able to have a direct dream/vision from a goddess. I know when I approved CDs, I would hesitate allowing such a thing since communication with deities in that way is not how the Avarian gods work. Its a special perk sort of thing and may require an admin approval. Eleyr has been around for awhile and probably asked Kali at one point for his vision.

P.S. - Change your posticon to the pencil. The question mark is for mods only.  fish
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:01:48 AM by Azhira Elrosse » Logged

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Lyth Elstrum
So Danar fa Eya
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 04:08:40 AM »

Thanks for clarifying on that point. I think I made it vague all the same, though. If I need more vagueness, just let me know. :D Also, Dek is the one who put up the question mark icon, not me. He wants someone to take a look at my mindsmoothing.

"I am Eyasha's servant. I am The Hand of Peace."

Lyth Elstrum
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:52 AM »

Yes, sorry for the confusion :) I was the one who put the question mark up ... because I wasn't sure about the mindsoothing part ... I should have posted something to that effect when I did it.

- Dek

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Lyth Elstrum
So Danar fa Eya
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:17 AM »

It's ok Dek. Confusion is fun! Shocked..........Anyway, if anyone could take a look at my CD, (preferably the Mindsmoothing, though I'd appreciate any and all comments), that would be great! :)

Lyth Elstrum
Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

Concerning Mindsmoothing...

To me, the mindsmoother entry reads like the skill is alot more subtle then you are making it out, Lyth. Yours reads more like a spiritual fire mage, honing in on the intense emotions of those around her. Its almost as if you can manipulate the spiritual ounia in others, which a mindsmoother cannot do.

Mindsmoothers are subtle and are sensitive to others' emotions, but cannot manipulate pain sensitivity or block unwanted emotions. That is more the realm of spiritual Ximaxian magic.

What a mindsmoother -can- do is calm another person with their words and help balance their emotions by speaking calmly and gently touching them. Much like a mother can soothe a crying baby with comforting words and a presence. A mindsmoother uses various calming techniques and healing skills to soothe someone who is anxious, afraid, hostile or hurting emotionally.

I don't think mindsmoothers are powerful telepaths, but practice more subtle, indirect "telepathy" (there is no such word as telepathy in Santharia). They have a unique "supernatural" gift and presence, surely, but not as powerful as you describe.

My two sans.  Thumb up

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

Half-elf-Tethinrhim/Avennorian

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »

I am puzzled. I have gotten a lot of my ideas from Eleyr, and I used his mindsmoothing section as a major reference to my section. I discussed this in great detail with him. I don't think that the entry on mindsmoothing is depicted the way you interpret it? If mindlashes exist, then I should think that the altering of emotions would be plausible. Undecided

"Sympathy is a luxury I simply cannot afford, for in the death of others do I make my living."

Sylvia Palinor
Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »

Darn it, I keep forgetting to switch to Lyth. Just to avoid confusion, Lyth is me.

"Sympathy is a luxury I simply cannot afford, for in the death of others do I make my living."

Sylvia Palinor
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

What Azhira has mentioned is very true in many regards. IMHO

The Mindsmoothers are indeed an extremely subtle healing force. I would even dare say, that they do so almost naturally, not really choosing a target, only 'feeling' them. I would differ with Azhira on a single point and that is of telepathy. There are a few entries that clearly mark it as existing, yet I would guess .... if the Mindsmoothers possess any skills in this area. It would be simply geared towards imagery that would bring peace to the target. Probably inspired more-so on a spiritual level than conscious effort.

Azhira's expertise on clerical matters are probably useful here, although I referenced you towards the most active Mindsmoothers for one simple reason. They have RPed the aspects of this healer sect and each of them play these gifts with unparalleled uniqueness. No Gods or in this case Goddesses gifts are equally given. iMHO

If Eleyr has been helping you, I would indeed love to see his comments here. That way it would be viewable for discussion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:27:36 PM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

So I should make it more subtle?

Sylvia Palinor
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

By subtle I mean ..... Example to follow, yet I would trust Eleyr or Irid's ideas, more-so at this point.

Simple Example: In a crowded bar someone in the upstairs gets angry with his ..... wife. Clenched fists and ready to assault her, a Mindsmoother could 'feel' this anger and their mind would naturally reach out with soothing thoughts. Possibly with relaxing imagery, since your character wouldn't know what soothes a random person (I am going with what I mentioned above here.) their Goddess would determine what is sent, not a conscious choice for the Mindsmoother.

Sidenote: If the anger were to manifest in a small room with very few people. It may be possible for the Mindsmoother to determine the exact person in need of their healing. I've seen Eleyr nearly overcome by a crowd of angry emotions. Having to steady himself as he was barraged from all sides. A Mindsmoother has no control of what comes to them on a mental/emotional level.

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Sylvia Palinor
Masked Huntress
Approved Character

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »

Ok I understand. Maybe I should hold off on edits until one of them gets around to my CD.

Sylvia Palinor
Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
CD Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »

I don't actually have a Mindsmoother, the person you're looking for is Rookie (Character is Aminah. I only jumped in for her once in a story, which is possibly where Twen got the idea that it was me ;)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »

Five days, might as well get some of this back on track I suppose. I'm rather partial to gold myself.
Name: Lyth Elstrum

Age by appearance: 30

Age by knowledge and training: 40

Lifespan: 600Not really a necessary detail here, but it's not a problem.

Race: Elf

Tribe: Quaelhoirhim

Overview: A tall, slender elf whose mindset is bent on the healing of others. Lyth has done extensive studies on herbology and the art of healing, and has gone through the training of an Eyashene. She dresses in modest robes of white, and occasionally pale green. She hates to harm others and is completely devoted to Eyasha. She believes all life is sacred and she will never harm anything intentionally.

Title: So Danar fa Eya A translation for us linguistically poor humans perhaps?

Height: 1 Ped, 2 Fores, and 6 Nailsbreadths This is very short, for an elf. You're almost a dwarf by their standards.

Weight: 1 Pygge, 2 Hebs, 1 Hafeb, and 2 Ods

Hair color: A medium shade of aldermarine brown

Eye color: A deep shade of santharian violet

Appearance: Lyth is rather short Really. Really short. Quaelhoirhim are an average of two peds (that's two meters for those of you playing the home game) tall. You're missing about a third of that last meter! for a Quaelhoirhim elf, but has managed to maintain their slenderness. Her aldermarine brown hair, flowing down to the middle of her shoulder blades, crowns her oval-shaped head. A small portion of her hair forms one large braid, and it is always worn down. Her deep santharian violet eyes attract the attention of many, and seem to capture the sunlight, making them glimmer. Her sharp nose and high cheekbones have caused many men to regard her as exotic. Her full teki red lips, along with her eyes and other features, are nicely accenuated by her pale realm bage skin. You're getting a little out of hand here with the colours Lyth. The Santharian colours really aren't meant to supersede the normal terran ones, rather to accentuate them. I'll stand by with the hair and eye colours but you're describing your skin as a tone of paint. Pull it back a little perhaps?

Her slender neck is in proportion well to her head, and has a minute amount of sun marks. Her shoulders are petite and she is not very muscular. The mindsmoother's breasts are well-developed and sag only slighlty. Her complexion, other than the sun marks, is flawless. Her small hands, attached to slender arms, are adorned by well manicured fingernails. Her slender, shapely legs are bottomed by small, petite feet. She has gotten comments from many men that she has a natural beauty about her, like she isn't trying to be beautiful, but she just is.

Dress: Lyth dresses very simply. She wears a somewhat dirty cy'hallowian snow robe that hangs down to her ankles. The sleeves hang open like most would imagine a wizard's attire, and go halfway down her forearm. Under her robe she wears a cloth covering on her breasts, and simple woolen undergarments. She wears a pendant depicting Eyasha's trinity herb symbol, colored green around her neck. She wears several beaded bracelets on each of her rists, and will usually pick a flower to adorn her hair. These last two could use some elaboration. Any preference for type or colour of flower? What colour are the bracelets? Wooden beads? Bone, shell?

Personality: Lyth is peaceful by nature, and would never violence of any form. She would never think of harming another creature. When attacked, this follower of Eyasha will not resort to violence. The healer will usually find a way to end the fight with her mindsmoothing, instead. Lyth cannot stand anything that disrupts peace, for that is the center of her world. She is a very loving and kind person and hates to see any creature hurt, down to the tiniest insect. She is a firm believer that all life is sacred and should be cherished. Lyth heals people for this very reason. Sometimes, however, she can not resist creating a little mischief by slightly messing with people's emotions.Wouldn't this interfere with the whole "sanctity of life"? It seems a little hypocritical for a mindsmoother.

Lyth worships Ava, and the twelve human/elven deities. However, she is most devoted to Eyasha. She is very peace oriented, and lives her life according to it. If ever she received a sign from Eyasha, she would commit to the task in a heartbeat. If anyone were to insult her religion, she would simply ignore them, and maybe show a little bit of a mischevious side, by messing with their emotions slightly, nothing serious.

Lyth is a fan of sad music, for it helps soothe the painful memories of her mother's death. She often wishes she could play a flute, or a lyre, so that she can heal more swiftly. She will often stop at many inns and bars so she may here such songs upon request.

Lyth will not turn anyone away that she finds, or that come to her for help. She believes all life is sacred and holds no petty grudges against any of the other races. She is somewhat wary of orcs, but this is only because of stories and she will heal them all the same.

Lyth, when healing, will only ask for what she needs to survive. She can well guage the income of others, and will charge accordingly. Sometimes, if she finds a particular family a or a person to be exceptionally poor, she will do a healing for almost nothing, and sometimes for free.
There's a lack of flow here both between the actual paragraphs and in a few of the paragraphs themselves. The latte sections seem particularly... I think stilted is the word, in comparison to the first. Try changing using some pronouns maybe? If someone doesn't know that they're reading Lyth's CD at this point, there's something wrong.
Strengths:

Mindsmoothing: Lyth is a powerful mindsmoother. Since a young age, she has shown great aptitude for her gift. She had a practical sense of it before too long, but she was still lacking much information. Now, she has undergone intense training and has a much more in depth control of her ability. With this gift, she is able to soothe her patients while she treats them, to prevent or minimize any pain. She has found that she can produce a feeling of numbness within them, greatly aiding her in surgery. She has found that, in a battle, she can soothe her enemies quickly, given enough time, and can usually avoid conflict. She has learned to harness and control her mindlashes, but she would never use them against any living creature. Ever. Instead of blocking the unyielding flow of emotions she receives, she has learned to discern them from her own, creating a wall of sorts between them. She can use this to see if trouble is close.

Extensive knowledge of herbs and healing: Lyth sought out someone who could teach her the arts of healing and herbology. After years of studying under her, she has gained an extensive knowledge of herbs, treating wounds, and surgery. This, accompanied by her mindsmoothing, makes her a highly adept healer, and she can save many lives. If ever she is injured, there is a good chance that she will be able to heal herself.

Literate: From the one she learned healing from, Lyth also learned to read and to write. This gives her an advantage over most, and she can continue her studies on healing, by reading texts. She can also write letters to her literate father, to make sure he is well. This also makes finding patients easier, as she can read ads for those who need healing.

Great social skills: Because of her kind nature, Lyth has great social skills. When Lyth is around someone who is sad. She generally knows what to say. In a way, her skills allow her to help others heal differently. She can heal physical ailments, mental maladies with her mindsmoothing, but these skills allow her to heal the heart as well. She can also, if the need arrises, sometimes talk her way out of trouble.

Weaknesses:

Fragile: With her thin frame, the mindsmoother is easily hurt or broken. If ever she was attacked by an orcen club, a dwarven war hammer, or a similarly large object, she would surely be half-dead. She also, given the need, could never lift a heavy sword to defend herself.

Indecision: Lyth usually has trouble deciding what to do in most situations. This makes her an easy target for most in a fight. She has an inner turmoil, praying to Eyasha to send her a sign, telling her what needs to be done. She usually does not receive such a sign, and must make her own choices. This can lead her to put her life above her attacker's, thinking only of the countless other lives that she can save and improve. However, this will put her in a state of despair, in which she will not heal. This can put her behind in money, and she will have no food, which will put her in a weakened state and she may become ill.

Fear of snakes: Lyth is completely and utterly terrified of snakes. If she even thinks she sees one, she will immediately start shrieking and panicking. They can also leave her paralyzed with fear. This can leave her vunerable to attack and unable to defend herself. People can also exploit this weakness. If one would have a grudge against her, they would simply have to pull out a snake of any form, even something fitted to look like a snake, and it would leave her comepletely vunerable. Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

Moon cycles: Lyth has horrible moon cycles. They leave her with intense cramps and pains that leave her crippled for a few days. She can usually prescribe an herb for herself that can help the pain, but it usually does little to ease it. She can fall behind in her money and she will become ill easily. She is also vunerable to attack at this time. She usually may need somewhere secret to hide out, or someone she trusts that can protect her.
This looks balanced, though I can't be exactly sure. I'll finish here. History isn't exactly my forte, and there's quite a bit that is very reliant on the knowledge of someone a bit more well... knowledgeable about this particular subject than myself I feel.

Possessions:

Herbs:
25 Alrik'ran roots
A flask of Bladeleaf gel
25 Canelvous leaves( purchased from people at the elverground near her home)
10 Dreamer's breath flowers
40 Miyu beans
10 Miyuestiac leaves
Odea moss
A flask of oil from trinity leaves
5 Trinity roots
10 Dried Yahrle plants
Other:
Cloth sacks in which all of the herbs are kept
1 Spare faded light green robe
Coin purse
Small cooking pot
Necklace with the symbol of Eyasha
Various beaded bracelets
Small knife(used for preperation of herbs, not for combat)
3 Water Flasks
Leather container for food
Dagger with a ruby in the hilt I can't believe that a mindsmoother would carry anything that really has no other purpose than that of a weapon.
A surgery kit with various knives and tools, rolled up and wrapped in sack cloth
A leather satchel in which she keeps these things

Watch those capital letters. They're all over the place! A quick spelling check wouldn't be amiss either (spelling is important!). I think you might want someone else to check over the strengths and weaknesses. There's something bothering me that I can't quite put my finger on in there. There's not much that I've been able to find here, but that could just be relative inexperience with the mindsmoothers. Should give you something to do for a while at least.

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »

Right then, I really don't know much about mindsmoothers, but I've got Eleyr's CD and the Mindsmoothers entry with me, and i'm going to go through your CD with both of those at hand, Lyth. I'm mainly just going to focus on the mindsmoothers part of it.

I'm going to make my comments in this (hopefully) soothing blue.

Firstly, from your Strengths:

Mindsmoothing: Lyth is a powerful mindsmoother. Since a young age, she has shown great aptitude for her gift. She had a practical sense of it before too long, but she was still lacking much information. Now, she has undergone intense training and has a much more in depth control of her ability. With this gift, she is able to soothe her patients while she treats them, to prevent or minimize any pain. She has found that she can produce a feeling of numbness within them, greatly aiding her in surgery. She has found that, in a battle, she can soothe her enemies quickly, given enough time, and can usually avoid conflict. She has learned to harness and control her mindlashes, but she would never use them against any living creature. Ever. Instead of blocking the unyielding flow of emotions she receives, she has learned to discern them from her own, creating a wall of sorts between them. She can use this to see if trouble is close.

This mostly reads well to me, Lyth. I've just got a question about your very last sentence. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it. I presume by 'this' you mean this 'wall' that she creates. How does doing that let her see if trouble is close? Do you mean that she can distinguish between her emotions and those of others and that she is able to sense them or something? If so, maybe you could just expand on that last sentence a bit more to clarify it a bit more.

From your Mindsmoothing section ...

Lyth is a powerful mindsmoother. From the young age of nine, she has shown a great aptitude for the ability. In the history section you seem to have her at a different age. I almost wonder if at this young age she had the aptitude for this ability, or whether it was just her acting out of fear/instinct ... just something for you to consider. In any case, please double check the ages, and see if you agree with my comments here.

First and foremost of her abilities, is to absorb the constant flow of emotions she gets from every living being, and to discern I wonder if 'seperate' or 'differentiate' would be a better word than 'discern' here. them from her own. She keeps a mental barrier of sorts around her emotions, allowing for them to not become intermingled with those of others. This will allow her an advantage over others in the ability to tell them what they want to hear, as she can discern what emotions are brought out by certain words. Also, she can sense if there are any with hostility toward her in the area. Finally, this aspect of her gift allows her to determine the severity of an injury, by homing in on the amount of pain they are feeling.

Second, is her ability to alter and soothe emotions. If she is unable to soothe someone's anger toward her in time, for example, she finds it easier to simply divert their anger to something else. All she is doing is slightly altering the emotion instead of introducing a completely new one. She finds that she can project an emotion over a large area. However, it will usually only affect those with a weak mind, or those without a passion. For stronger minds, she usually must greatly reduce the area that her mind touches, or focus on them individually if they are exceptionally strong. She finds that all will eventually succumb to her will, some just take longer than others. She finds that her influence over someone is stronger when her gaze is upon them, stronger still when she has eye contact, and at its peak when she is in physical contact with them. Her most common use of this, is to use her talent as an anesthetic, producing a numbing emotion so that her patients will feel no pain when she operates.

Lyth has learned how to prevent her midlashes. She actually specializes in healing these types of damage to the mind. If she wanted to, she could completely destroy someone's mind. Thankfullly, she is strongly pacifist and would never use her gift in such a violent way. Her ability to heal these rifts is extensive, as her teacher was an exceptionally knowledgable mindsmoother. She simply assesses what has been done to mangle one's mind, and simply reverses the affects. She takes great pleasure in curing insanity and blindness.I can understand the insanity bit. However, I am not as certain on how she cures blindness. Could you please expand on that a bit? This is, by far her strongest ability, making her a very invaluable Eyashene.

Perhaps the most difficult ablilty for her to accomplish, is hypnosis. She is still practicing that art and it usually takes her ten to fifteen minutes before she can soothe someone to sleep. When she truly masters this ablility, she thinks it will be helpful in ending conflicts quickly, curing insomnia, and during surgery when she must concentrate intensely, instead of using a sleeping herb.

Well, that wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be, Lyth. I can't find things that are at odds with what the Mindsmoother's entry says, or with Eleyr's CD. Well done.

Attend to those few things I raised, and we may be on our way to approvals for you.

Dek

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Lyth Elstrum
So Danar fa Eya
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:56 AM »

Ok! All changes are in gold, as I agree that it is a lovely color for changes.

@Valan: I attended to those errors you raised, and I hope that I got them all. I figured out was was wrong with the Strengths/Weaknesses section. You can check it out under the 'Indecision' weakness, it's colored. It was at odds with the pacifistic thing, from previous ideas. I also didn't color some of the minor grammatical things, as they're, well, minor. Thankyou! grin

@Dek: Thanks Dek! I think I fixed all of the issues that you raised. I'm glad to hear that I am close to approval. It gets easier the second time around. Thanks again!

-Lyth
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:08:28 AM by Lyth Elstrum » Logged

Lyth Elstrum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]