Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter One- "The Letter"- Part Three  (Read 44137 times)
Lili the Elfcat
Endearing Cutthroat
Approved Character

Human, Helvet'ine Kuglimz

« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2010, 05:52:43 AM »

Altario?

Yes, it was him. Lili recognized the lordliness with which he greeted the sick baron. Altario always acted like that – as if other people were an annoying necessity of life that one best wasted little time on. Probably that’s how he felt. About most people, anyway. He did care for his daughter. Maybe he loved her so much that he had no love left for anyone else.

"The gang plank is gone.  Unless you know another way off this ship, we are going to have to jump," Altario said.

”Holla, Altario”, Lili greeted him.

She didn’t fully look at his face, though – she was keeping one eye and a half on the pirates.

”Look who’s here. Um, not your brother, sorry.” She pointed at Grallen, and then at the long-haired woman.

”But there’s another lady also, who helped us fight the pirates, although I sure don’t know why.”

The pirates seemed to obey their captain and were either retreating or standing still, making no move toward the group of landlubbers. Still, it was best to lose no time. Lili took a peek over the ship’s railing. There was a little space between the ship’s hulk and the quay, but the waves were strong even here, and the ship bobbed and swayed about.

”I say we jump. But not here, not where the ship will squash us against the quay until we look like these fish.”
She pointed to the assorted remains of marine life that were scattered and smeared all over the deck.

”Let’s jump from the back of the ship instead, then get on land. Nothing to it. You two, can you swim?” she asked, addressing Grallen and the baron.

Both were badly wounded. The baron looked as if he could hardly stand. And as for Grallen: if she jumped into the sea, the impact would surely rip one or two of her limbs off.

”If not, I’ll hold you above water until someone can pull you out from above. Now, who else is coming?”

There were other people here - people whom Lili hadn’t noticed until now. One was Garret, Altario’s taciturn friend. His giant wolf was by his side. How had they all found one another? Lili half expected Lori and Anna to turn up on the quay, waving, asking whether anyone needed a place on their cart.

But Ana and Lori did not turn up. Instead, Lili noticed another person on board the ship. For a blink, she thought that it was Airyn. But one closer look was enough to find out that this wasn’t true. The person did have elven ears and elven eyes. But if she was any relation to Airyn, surely this was the fair elfess’ evil aunt. Lili hadn’t felt cold up to now, even though her clothes were soaked through to the skin. But this elf sent a shudder down her innards as if she had swallowed a fist-sized piece of ice.

Meanwhile Kassandra was sitting on the ship’s superstructure. She had flown off when the short tree had decided to cross the water by moving branch over branch (and crown under root) along a rope. She’d found a place to sit and watch from a safe distance as the trees fought with one another. It had been a terrible confusion, and Kassandra had been too tired and hungry to try and understand what was going on. But now things seemed to have calmed down. The trees’ voices had become less strained, and they moved their roots and branches more slowly – as was becoming their nature.

So Kassandra considered it safe to return to her customary perch. Rain drops bounced off her wings as she spread them. She took off and soared towards Lili.

Should she say something to the elf? Lili hesitated, and in that moment Kassandra landed on her head. The familiar sensation of strong claws digging into her scalp made Lili’s heart leap, driving all thought of coldness out of it. And for the first time in what seemed like half a life, Lili allowed herself to laugh.

”Now where have you been, old gadabout?” she said.

”Don’t ask me why, but I think we should follow the bird,” replied Kassandra.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:24:41 PM by Lili the Elfcat » Logged

"It's not good that I'm bad, but I'm proud that I'm worse than I seem."   ~ Lili the Elfcat ~
Foul-mouthed Familiar: Kassandra the Charlatan Daggerbeak (Gossiper)
Mysterious Memory: Kuglimz Love Song
grallen gast
Softly Smiling Scoundrel
Mini-mod

Orc, Ashz-Oc

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

They were leaving, escaping, it was going to be alright, they were escaping, finally-“...after fighting a three plus ped orc before coming to rescue you, but thank you for the sentiment anyways."

Wait, what? Grallen’s look of confusion couldn’t have had much time to register with the Baron, as she struggled to keep up with Lili and the others crossing the boat, now rocking queasily on the roughening seas. Everything seemed to be swimming round her in a mess of noise and light and choking smells, and the unending, clinging, cloying taste of blood. People were talking, talking about gangplanks and the sea, about getting away? Can we not just go? She tried to focus on the flickering teeth and eyes of people all talking and talking and-
Who’s that, and why is she snarling? The orc’s ears twitched, trying to focus. She’s an elf... like Lucien... so why..?
“I’m afraid elves, like other races, are likely to greet you with a measure of-“
“disdain? Disgust? A disconcerting disposition to dismembering, disembowelling, and generally distressing discombobulation?”
“pretty words. Who’d you steal them from?

Words from what felt like years ago drifted through her head. She glanced once more at the elf. Lucien, apparently, had known his race all too well. She looked down, avoiding her gaze, as well as Altario’s, though her ears twitched, defensive. Not that she could do much if they did actually attack – every lurch of the ship threatened to unbalance her, and she could hear her own breath hissing between gritted teeth.
Someone was- Lili was talking to her, and she looked up slightly, gaze flicking between her and the Baron, who she also seemed to be addressing.
“You two, can you swim? If not, I’ll hold you above water until someone can pull you out from above. Now, who else is coming?”

No. Can barely stand, certainly can’t-
“yeah, ‘m fine, ‘s not as bad as all that-“

Why did I say that?! She knew all too well why, though. It was because she was scared and hurt and really really not used to relying on anyone, but still! It was childish, and stupid, and you need to take it back, right now, or-
Something green flapped past, close by, and landed on Lili – the bird. That was a good thing, right?

”Don’t ask me why, but I think we should follow the bird,”

Altario’s words, weren’t they?
Well, maybe that would make sense later, if she survived long enough to have the patience for piecing this whole sorry escapade together.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:54:46 PM by grallen gast » Logged

When you’re entirely lacking in conscience or sense of risk, a frog will have to do.
Grallen's CD
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »

Well, in any case now it was obvious whose side she had been fighting on - they all gathered together, while the other side withdrew and left them in peace, except for the dark looks that some of them were throwing in their direction. Well, looks didn't kill as far as she knew, so let them. The main thing was that they listened to their boss (apparently the man she'd been fighting called the shots around here), and that her own party could get off this damn boat. Which, of course, proved less easy than she had hoped. As far as she could make out, they were talking about jumping into the water.

That was a problem.

Being a desert woman she had never learned to swim. Little point, was there, when all around you was nothing but sand? And she was rather smart enough to realise that jumping into as wide a water as a sea would be completely different from stepping into a bath tub. If they really were going to jump, she would have to prepare herself for that, so that she would not panick once she was in there. Still, first she was going to wait a moment and see if there was no other way of getting away - preferably one that did not involve getting wet. However, they were going to have to decide quickly, before the captain changed his mind. The sooner she got off this ship, the better.

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:46 AM »

“This ends ‘ere!”  Eric bellowed across the ship.  It wasn’t the outcome that he’d wanted, but having a mage onboard was more than he could bear.  His men would obey his order; he was sure of that.

“Aye, I’z afraid o’ tha’ which ‘az no righ’ful place in this world,” he said in reply to the orc’s snide comment.  “’n so should ye be.  Mark me wordz, lass, yon creature’ll bring ‘ee misfortune if ye workz with it.”

The crew of the Runner had dropped back from the fight, now; some happily, but most reluctantly.  It was a hard thing for them to admit defeat at the hands of such a few, but they knew that Eric had his reasons for calling it off.  Those who had witnessed the horrific power of the elf knew full well that it was the right decision, and in the days to come, their fanciful stories about her would convince the others that their captain had acted sensibly.

Soon, Lili, Grallen and Toama had joined the rescue party, and were busy trying to figure out the best way off the boat.  Eric watched them from a slight distance, unwilling to get too close to the mage.  As he listened to their exchanges, he realised that all was not lost.  Getting a little closer, he let out a loud, deep laugh.

“Oh, aye!” he cried.  “I think I seez a flaw in yer plan!  Doez ‘ee mean ter tell me tha’ none o’ ye can swim?  ‘tiz a funny thing; ter get so close, n’ then ter be drowned ‘n bat’ered by the waves!  Why, I’z a-bin swimmin’ since I waz a lad, but even I wouldn’ wanna risk a dip in ter these wa’ers!”

Almost on cue, a massive wave smashed against the Runner’s stern, sending a wall of water crashing onto the deck.

“Whooo’eeeeee!!!”  Eric cheered, feeling better now that he saw a new bargaining chip.

“Cer’ain death ter the man ‘oo jumps in there!  ‘n such a terrible way ter go; drownin’.  Can ye imagine it?  Being tossed abou’ with no control o’ yerself; carried away from yer friendz by ‘andz yer can’t see; then being sucked under in ter the deep!

“‘oldin’ yer breath, but yer gotta breathe sooner or la’er!  Th’ pressure on yer chest!  Th’ burnin’ in yer breast!  Th’ sheer ‘orror as yer teks in yer firs’ lungful o’ sal’y wa’er!"

Eric paused dramatically, and lifted a hand to his forehead, imitating the actors that he'd seen in cheap plays on land.

”Alas!  Alas!  A wa'ery grave fer me!"

A murmur of agreement rippled around the Runner’s crew as they listened to their captain speak; all of them had a very healthy fear of drowning.

“So ‘ow much is th’ price o’ freedom?” he asked.  “Or should I say, th’ price o safe passage off me boat?”

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #274 on: July 29, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »

Toama whipped around when she heard the captain speaking again. He did have a very valid point about the crashing waves, and she didn't particularly like the idea of jumping into all that fray. She did seem to be getting better at understanding his heavy accent, she noticed. But when he mentioned a price for getting off his ship, she narrowed her eyes and advanced a few steps in his direction, all her pent-up anger from the last hours (ever since she had woken up shackled) suddenly aimed at the gall of this captain.

"Price?" she hissed at him. "I am beink TAKEN in MIDDLE of night, bashink on head, and wakink up wit' shackles on hands and feets, on YOUR boat. I did not doink anythink to this deserve, only goink for walk. And YOU is askink for PRICE??? What are you goink to do when wantink to go on land your men? Not lettink go them fearink that we go also? Sailink away wit' us still beink here? ALL of us still beink here?"

She still had no idea why exactly the man had called off the fight, but she did have the idea that it had something to do with one of the people that belonged to the rescue party. If he was willing to call off a fight because of that person, he might also let them go because of him or her. Or he might repeat that he had not known about her - either way she was getting off this ship, and without paying for it. Anyway, she didn't have any money with her, that had all been left in her room at the inn. She fixed her angry look on the captain, waiting for his reply.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »

Lili greeted Altario and in that greeting, he felt a bit of warmth.  Why, he wasn't sure.  Following the bird here, having a gut feeling that Lili was in trouble, and finding all of them here and in trouble, something had changed within him.

"Are you injured?"

Lili then pointed out the orc and Altario frowned.  Of course the orc was here.  No doubt this entire affair had something to do with the orc.  Probably on the ship trying to steal something and got caught, forcing the rest of these misguided fools to come help.  No time to deal with her now.

And who was this new woman?  She spoke with a distinctive accent that Altario had never heard in all his travel in Sarvonia.  Dark skinned.  Not as dark as Kanapan's, but much darker than those from anywhere else, even darker than Shendar.  And a facial tattoo, something that the Ice Tribe women practiced.  But she was no Ice Tribe woman.  She had fire within her.  She was not a woman used to being subjugated by men.

When Lili said they should jump from the rear of the ship, Altario blanched.  "I can't swim.  Where I come from, if you end up in the water, you're usually frozen to death before you can get very far."  He had hoped that if he jumped here from the side, he'd be close enough to the pier to get a hand on it.  He hadn't considered getting squashed by the ship.  Still, it was probably preferable to drowning.

As if hearing Altario's thoughts, the captain started talking, describing how awful drowning was, and his crew seemed to take a sadistic glee in agreeing with him.  There was one exception.  The man who had cut Altario glared at the Remusian, as if to suggest that drowning would not be the way Altario would be dying.  Altario met his glare full on until the captain's offer of paying for safe passage was made.

Altario was about to reply when the dark woman hissed her answer to the captain.  He could not help but smirk at her comeback.

"There you go, Captain.  There will be no price paid for our freedom, except that of the lives of your crew.  My people are leaving your ship.  All of us.  And if you don't want more bloodshed, you'll keep holding your men back."

Altario glanced at the elf.  "Ideas?  I could use one right about now."

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Damien Scar
Commander of the Gates
Approved Character

« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:51 AM »

Damien listened carefully to everything and though he did not know this long haired woman he had to give her credit for the fire inside of her. Her answer was just about what he would have said, with a few exceptions of course, since he had not been kidnapped. Damien recalled the Captain's words saying that he had no idea who she was and how she got on his ship. Damien thought this was probably true, that the Captain had another captive besides Lili in his hold and did not realize it. The human trafficers were very devious and it seemed that the Captain had been duped. That made Damien smile.

Damien heard Altario ask his new elven partner about ideas. Damien coughed to get his attention, however blood came spraying out and dribbled down his chin. He quickly wiped it away, hoping no one noticed. "I have an idea my friend. How about we ask Tharoc down there to just break off a couple of those long poles down there, lash them together with some rope, and then we would have some sort of gangplank to cross. It cannot be more than three or four peds across."

Damien coughed again, his side wracking in pain, his hand involuntarily going to it and pressing against it until the pain subsided. He hoped Lyth was around for he and some of the others will definitely need some healing after this is all over with and they are back on solid ground, nursing a good tankard of...water; at least for him.

"Just an idea, my friend, just an idea." Damien said.

I have travelled far and wide.
And Foiro's must have been my guide.
For I have discovered these things to be true;
A man must have two, mayhap three things in life to be truly happy.
A good weapon at his side.
A virtuous wife, if he can find her.
A quver full of children.
Sadly, I only have one;
A good weapon at my side.
Ílarolén'yliás (Drustai)
Fallen Hero
Story Mod

Gray Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

"Ideas?" Altario asked her, "I could use one right about now."

She turned her gray eyes to him. A part of her wanted to just let the Remusian rot for his alliance with an orc, but she knew that wasn't feasible right now. They'd deal with that creature later. Right now they just needed to get off the ship. She leaned up close to him, about to speak, though before she could answer one of the other men suggested an idea. She looked at the other man.

"And waste more time building your makeshift gangplank? Hrmph," she paused, looking back to Altario, "Just take them down the mooring ropes. If we can climb up them, then we can climb back down. I'll keep the pirates busy."

She then turned to look at the pirate leader, and stepped forwards, walking in front of Altario's group. She placed her mace back on the hoop on her belt, then rested her hands on her hip. She pulled her lips back into a sneer, and kept her eyes brightly lit with her magic.

"Your payment," she spat, "is the lives of the crew we haven't killed yet." She motioned around the deck, to the handful of dead men. "You think your men are skilled, human captain? All of our number stand while yours drench your deck with their bleeding carcasses, or rest bloating in the water."

She snarled at the back of her throat, then pulled her lips back into an evil and wicked grin. She was about to be using more magic, but at this point, she simply did not care. She wanted this accursed night to be over. Besides, this captain seemed to be quite susceptible to the paranoia of magic. So let's see just how deep his fear was.

"You call me a creature, who has no rightful place in this world," she angled her eyes at him. "Then let me bring about a host more of demons to plague your pitiful vessel."

She focused her concentration on the corpse of Bolav, lying amidst the pirate group. The body's muscles began to twitch as she willed the properties of change and motion into action, using Sphere I to increase them to the point that the body no longer wanted to remain at rest, despite having no spirit or power to drive itself. With an upward flick of the wrist, Drustai focused on getting the thing to pull itself up to a wobbly stand. It stared directly ahead of itself with cold, lifeless eyes. The pirates nearest to it instantly stepped away, though the body itself just stood there, empty.

Drustai grinned wickedly. "I do recall you humans are so hopefully terrified of the living dead."

She didn't look behind her, but she hoped Altario was doing what she told him rather than just standing there watching. The intent was just to buy time--the pirates still outnumbered them, risen corpses or no.

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:31 AM »

So somebody had kidnapped this foreign woman; Eric made a mental note to find out who and why at a later date; bringing women onboard without permission was a serious transgression of the Runner’s articles.  Still, disciplinary action would have to wait; there were far more important issues to deal with.

“Oh, aye,” Eric said after the man had finished speaking, “The lives o’ me crew; all sixty odd o’ ‘em!  ‘ee reckonz ye can tek us all on wi’out paying a price in yer own blood?”

The sheer audacity of these people was beginning to rile Eric.  Were they really so stupid as to let their chance of safe passage off the boat slip by for the sake of a few coins?  The anger rising in the pirate almost made him forget about his number one problem, but there she was, forcing her way back into his attention.  Damn, how he hated this witch!  As she spoke, he watched her every movement; the uncertainty of not knowing what she was going to do next vexed him more than anything had that night.  He wanted to hit back with a retort, pointing out that several members of her party only just stood, and that if he had wished it, Lili and Grallen would already be dead; but the words wouldn’t come.  It was unusual for Eric to be speechless, but it was even more unusual for him to be so close to the kind of being that he hated and feared the most.

With a flick of her wrist, this wicked creature made the lifeless body of Bolav rise to its feet.  Eric felt sick.  Even though there was no danger or threat from what she had done, it was an act of utter depravity.  Eric was certain that just by witnessing such an ungodly act he was in some way cursed.  In fact, the mere presence of this perverted monster on board his ship would surely be bringing him the worst kind of luck imaginable.  The whole night had been a disaster; his skin was creeping and his hands shaking; enough was enough.

“Get off me ship, yer rotten bitch!”  Eric bawled at the elfess.  His outrage had overcome his fear, and he wanted nothing more than for this string of ill events to be over.  “Jump ter the sea ‘n drown, yer stinkin’ ratz!!!  Go on, ge’ off me ship, ‘n don’ ever come back!”

The rest of Eric’s crew shouted in agreement, and moved towards the elfess en masse.

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Damien Scar
Commander of the Gates
Approved Character

« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »

Go down the morring ropes? Is she crazy? Damien thought and then looked over the side of the ship and saw heavy swells of ocean water pick up the ship like a child's toy in his tub slamming the ships side into the dock. Maybe she is right? Lili, the other woman, and certainly Altario and this elfess could make it, but with the pain he was feeling in his side he doubted that he could and by the looks of the orcess, he doubted she would fare any better than he. But what choice do we have?

"Well Altario, old friend, my wounds are bit severe, so if I should happen to fall and die, it was a good life, filled with many memories and friends, such as yourself."

Damien handed Altario his room key. "In my room is my trunk and if you can discover the secret hiding place, you will find enough coin and jewels to last you a long time on your journey to find your daughter. Also there is the deed to my castle and lands as well. I give them to you if I do not make it."

Damien looked down at the green orcess. "Altario, she is quite wounded as well and I doubt she would make it down the rope. However considering how small she is; she probably could hang onto your shoulders and you could get her down safely."

Damien took one more look over the side, grabbed the wet rope with his good hand and arm, "Take care my friend," Damien said as he went over the side.

The pain was excruciating. Waves upon waves washed through Damien's body. He tried to lift his legs up and over the rope but his abdominal muscles were just too weak. He hung there; like a sack of laundry and began sliding down the slick rope. Perhaps he would make it, he thought. Then a huge wave of water crashed into him and sent so much pain through his body he let go of the rope and fell into the water.

He tried to swim, but again his wounds hindered him as well as the stormy waves. He felt himself go under, he would fight to get his head above water, and barely have enough time to gasp some air before he went down again. With almost super human effort and will, after going down for the third or fourth time; he had lost count, it could have been more. He saw the dock and began swimming toward it.

Suddenly his head was hit hard; hard enough to knock him out and he slowly drifted under the water, his arms floating straight up.

I have travelled far and wide.
And Foiro's must have been my guide.
For I have discovered these things to be true;
A man must have two, mayhap three things in life to be truly happy.
A good weapon at his side.
A virtuous wife, if he can find her.
A quver full of children.
Sadly, I only have one;
A good weapon at my side.
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2010, 03:38:51 AM »

The captain was obviously not in agreement with her assessment. Her anger almost boiling over, she was about to make a retort when she felt a presence next to her, taking over the conversation. Instinctively she made way for a presence that she felt was stronger than her own. With a few steps back she was standing behind the elfess, and she noticed one of the men in her group herding everyone to the thick ropes that were anchoring the ship to the dock. That was a good idea. She might have thought of that - if she had known about the ropes. She determined to learn more about this whole ship deal - just in case she needed to leave one in a hurry again.

She did not really pay attention to what the elfess was doing in the meantime. She just dropped her makeshift club and grabbed a rope when one was free, and swung fearlessly (she was still too angry for fear) over the side. Of course, once she was hanging from her right hand - the left being pretty useless in this case - she did not really know how to go on. The waves were soaking her, and she knew that if she did not reach land soon, her right hand would also lose its strength and she would fall. She did not want to fall into that spray. That moment, for the first time in a long time, she really - REALLY - missed the desert. Not just because it was home, but most especially because there was no water there. Dangers aplenty, but a watery grave was not one of them. Not even if you tried.

Deciding that she would have to use her legs and not just her arms if she was going to make any progress, she hooked her left elbow over the rope, then swung her legs to hook her knees over as well. In this position, she somehow managed to make some headway against the waves and the wind. She never knew later on how she had done it, but suddenly she felt something hard, and hands - she could not see whose - pulled her further. After a moment to catch her breath, she stood up and quickly looked at the ropes to see if there was anyone she could help. Only to be met by a sight that stopped her heart. One of the men had lost his grip on the rope, and before she had time to react had falled into the wildly churning water. She rushed to the side to check if she could see him. So what if she did not know him? If she could help, she had to.

grallen gast
Softly Smiling Scoundrel
Mini-mod

Orc, Ashz-Oc

« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »

Lili

The mooring ropes, was it? Well, a way out was a way out, but she couldn’t help feeling it was a little beyond some of the more worn-out of their group. Lili hesitated as the baron seemed to confirm this. These northmen were so flippant about death, it was almost ridiculous- surely he wasn’t really going to try to-

Kassandra squawked in surprise at the splash that interrupted Lili’s thoughts. For a moment she stared down into the heaving waters between the ship and the dockside, and then, barely thinking, she was reaching for a rope. She was no help to anyone this side of the breach, and help, it looked like, would be required sharpish. Her hand burned as she shifted her grip on the rope and swung her legs up, and she was forcibly reminded of every cut and blow she’d received in this long, long night. Kasssandra flapped away, but she wasn’t going far this time – Lili watched upside-down as the bird landed at the other end of the rope, watching her walking-tree anxiously.

“i’m coming, i’m coming...”
Just go quickly, Lili. Don’t give your body time to complain too much, just put hand over hand until- see. That wasn’t so hard, was it?

She dropped down onto the dock, staggering slightly, partly from dizziness as the blood rushed away from her head, partly in sheer relief at standing on solid ground again. But no time for that – she looked back to the boat, to see who else was left, and then down to the water. We’re not out of the woods yet.

Kassandra opened her beak wide, and repeated loud “splash” sound. The kind a man might make if he dropped into the drink from a mooring rope, almost.

When you’re entirely lacking in conscience or sense of risk, a frog will have to do.
Grallen's CD
Lyth Elstrum
So Danar fa Eya
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »

Lyth sat upon a small barrel filled to the brim with fish, fiddling with the hem of her robes. She was so apprehensive about this entire situation concerning the kidnapping, that she was only slightly bothered by the rotten stench. That kind fellow, Damien, and his companion with the wolf had gone aboard the ship to rescue a woman named Lili. Damien had told her to remain on the quay, so that she would not be injured. She now recalled their conversation:

~The Quay, Earlier That Night~

Damien had pulled her aside and spoken in an urgent, but gentle tone. "Lyth I would prefer if you were to remain here while we rescue Lili," he said.

Lyth of course, had protested, arguing that she could help just as helpful on board the ship as off. "I could lull the crew members. It would be slowly mind you, but there would be no need for any conflict," she said pleadingly.

Damien had then smiled and shook his head. He couldn't in good conscience allow a woman to endanger herself when he himself had the ability to stop her. "There are armed men on that ship. Should anything happen to you, we would be without a healer. You would do better to remain here," He said firmly.

With a defeated sigh Lyth had given in, finding a spot near the ship where she could wait for them. Then, Damien, Garret, and the wolf a jogged off into the night.

~The Quay, Present Time~

Lyth was jolted out of her thoughts by the sounds of shouting and the piercing clang of steel striking steel. She hurried over to the pier where the boat was docked, and attempted to make out what was happening, though it was rather dark. She could see a small group near the edge of the ship, currently surrounded by a smaller group. The elfess attempted to call out to them, but her voice was lost in the wind.

Suddenly, one of the figures grabbed onto a rope and attempted to slide down, but was knocked into the water by a dark wave. Lyth was unable to swim herself, but briefly considered jumping in herself if it meant there was some hope of saving the man. But one look at the churning waters, and she knew she would doom them both if she tried. She glanced around frantically for something to throw to him, but could find nothing. The healer felt helpless, and panicked, despite her usual calm demeanor. Her indecision was gnawing at her, like an overgrown parasite waiting for it's next dose of fear.

Just when she was beginning to abandon hope, she saw the man swim hard toward the edge of the pier with a burst of effort. He was almost there when he simply went limp and began to sink below the waves. Thinking quickly, Lyth rushed over to the edge of the pier and grabbed hold of his arm. Then, tugging as hard as she could, she pulled him onto the planks as far as his chest. It took a great effort, and many more tugs, but she eventually managed to pull him out of the water.

Checking to see if he was breathing, she barely noticed when a woman landed on the dock no more than two peds away from her. Once she was satisfied that he was indeed breathing, she pulled off his top clothing and found a bloody mess. Quickly rummaging through her satchel, she produced several herbs, and a pestle and mortar, and proceeded to mix the herbs together. Then, adding a bit of water, she created a salve which she applied to the man's wounds, and then wrapping them in a woven gauze. This man is lucky to be alive, she thought.

Turning, she saw the woman staring out at the boat. Noticing that she was also wounded, she asked, "May I see to your wounds?"
She didn't even consider that this woman most likely had no idea who she was.

"I am Eyasha's servant. I am The Hand of Peace."

Lyth Elstrum
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2010, 12:35:07 AM »

Altario listened to Damien's soliloquy, and nodded to the man.  It was a bit melodramatic, considering any of them would be lucky to live through this.  Still, he took the room key from the man from Voldar.  What would he do with a castle?  He had his own estate in Remusia if he were to ever settle down again.  Southerners just did not make sense.  On the other hand, if Damien died, he could give the castle to Ana, perhaps.  It might make a good place to go live out her final years in comfort.

Suddenly his blood went cold.  Altario couldn't believe his ears.  Did Damien just ask him to carry the orc down the rope?  By the gods if Damien didn't drown, Altario was tempted to strangle him.  Still, he looked at the orc and saw what a mess she was.  She wouldn't be able to make it on her own.  Damnit.

He faced the orc.  "Climb onto my back and hold on.  You try and eat me and I swear to my gods and your heathen ones that I'll drop us both in the water to drown.  You understand me, orc?  Not one bite."

One by one the others climbed down the rope, Damien falling and disappearing beneath the waves.  Well, Ana, you just inherited a castle.  Hope you and Lori enjoy it.  Still, they were not fast enough; not by half, and Altario was growing impatient.  How long would the sailors hold off?.  But once they had all gone down the rope, Altario turned his back to the orc and lowered himself somewhat, his knee protesting.  "Get on, and heed my words if you don't want to drown."

Standing, he glanced at the elf, and her look of disgust (did she have another?  maybe disdain?) told him her thoughts.  He felt himself growing a bit angry even before she spoke.  "No one gets left behind.  I told you that, so lose the attitude," he said, wagging his thick finger at her.   He then turned to climb on the rope, pausing at the last minute to look back to Drustai.  

"And don't you take your time following.  I don't want to have to come back for you.  No one gets left behind, even gods cursed elf magic users."

Damn uppity elf.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:43:19 AM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
grallen gast
Softly Smiling Scoundrel
Mini-mod

Orc, Ashz-Oc

« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »

Lili
"May I see to your wounds?"
Lili looked up abruptly, blinking in surprise as she realised just how long she’d been watching the ship –the baron was hauled out of the water and already trussed up in healerish-looking salves and things. She must be more knackered than she thought, if she could just stand here like a ninny for so long...
She held out her cut hand to-

“Wait, who are you?” she glanced back down at the baron. “Some kind of healer..?”
Something snarled a little way behind her, and she turned slightly, waving the cut hand at the pair of wretches who’d just arrived back on dry land.

“If that’s the case, I think there’s more pressing calls to your attention, hmm?”

Grallen
“...However considering how small she is; she probably could hang onto your shoulders and you could get her down safely."

What?  Grallen’s ears laid themselves flat against her skull as she regarded the stupid dead-smelling-human with his stupid ideas and- no! Just no! I’m fine i can make it on my own, i can-

She couldn’t seem to find anything more eloquent to say than a hiss, inaudible under the waves and wind, and the baron was gone in any case. She looked to Mister Altario. He didn’t seem much happier with the idea than she was. She tried to pay attention to what he was saying, and not sway too much.

"Climb onto my back and hold on.  You try and eat me and I swear to my gods and your heathen ones that I'll drop us both in the water to drown.  You understand me, orc?  Not one bite."

The young orc’s blood-seamed lips drew back involuntarily. You think I’d bite you? I’d probably catch stupid. She tried to take a step back but staggered, all but fell, and snarled in pain as she jarred her wounds.

"Get on, and heed my words if you don't want to drown."

She looked up at him, a blurry shape with its back to her. Fine. I give in. Cautiously, she stretched her arms up and climbed on, turning her face as much away from him as she could. She closed her eyes tight as he stood up, and tried to ignore the ache in her arms by noting that at least he’d smell of orc after this. Probably never get the blood off his tunic...

She gasped as she felt them upside down, shrank closer to him and then hated herself for it. She kept her eyes shut, and tried to force her breathing quieter, less panicked, until finally she felt things the right way up again, opened round yellow eyes that barely looked terrified at all, really.

This is the part where you melt away into the shadows, Grallen...

She let go of Mister Altario, and staggered as her feet met the ground stumbling back, away from the blurs that she presumed where people. She got nearly three steps away before gravity interrupted and her knees gave way. She swore, and it came out as a hoarse snarl.

This is the part where you escape and are never seen again, Grallen...

Grallen's CD
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]