Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ridgen Sú'ufanán/Cyhallrhim/Water Mage - Tailor  (Read 19242 times)
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »

I'm guessing I should go ask Alt now?  K, I'll go ask him.

"Everything is a game - some people just don't realise that."
                                                                       - Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »

Our Restrictions, and everything we do is being discussed and revised.  Among these, the Level 4 Restriction.  It will be based now on the Proficiency and Understanding of Magic shown in the CD itself, so each CD will be judged on its own merit.

I'm no magic expert.  I'm a Remusian.  Only thing I know about magic users is that they make a pretty good fire when you're outta wood. :P

Thorgas, and Rayne, have my blessing to judge whether or not a CD qualifies to be able to climb out of that level 4 ceiling.  I will back their decisions.  I trust their judgement. :)

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

The spells you had before I've only glanced through. Since they were approved, I let them go, but some are not correct. They can be grandfathered in, but they aren't in line with the system. Do you want to keep them even though they're incorrect, or do you want to develop spells more in line with the Ximaxian system? It's your choice--if you choose the latter, I can assist you with explanations.

Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »

I'd like the latter option, if that's okay.

EDIT: I just saw a blatant error in my magic section that I must've overlooked. I think I fixed it? buck
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:17:49 PM by Ridgen Sú'ufanán » Logged

- Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »

All right, my dear. Notebooks and pencils out, thinking caps on, and here we go!:

Lunatic Fervor/Distraction:

Hallucinations are pretty hard to accomplish, and if I had to make a sudden, intuitive decision about them, I would probably throw them into the wind school. However, it doesn't necessarily seem as though what end outcome you want here isn't so much hallucinations as unhinging someone's composure/calmness--identical to distraction. On the site, it mentions chaos as an attribute of water. I disagree (this is where Drustai pops out of the shadows...). I believe calmness and tranquility are attributes of water and chaos is an attribute of its opposing element, fire.

[If this wasn't the case, it would mean that, by lessening the influence of water and increasing that of fire, a subject would become calmer and less chaotic. Uh.. fire? Calm? Probably not.]

Let's start in the beginning: This is a spell of the spiritual nature (you're not affecting the physical), so almost by definition, you're affecting a living car'all (a car'all that has a will of its own). It involves a negation of your element (lessening the influence of water, not increasing it), so you achieve the effect indirectly. When you cast this, the spell will be difficult and moderately ineffective for two reasons:
  • You are casting a spell on a car'all that has a will. Say you were casting this spell on me. Everything else being equal, you wouldn't get a very effective result because I have more control over my own car'all than you do. Even if I am not a magic-user, I sub- or unconsciously know my car'all, and my will fights anything that endangers my natural composition and balance. That said, mages generally (by not always) have very strong wills. Why? Because they use their will power very often to cast spells. However, you should expect that this spell will be weak for this reason.
  • You are casting a spell indirectly. Within magic, there is a principle called Conversation of Voice. Basically, the 'number' of active (soor) and inactive (ahm) links within a car'all remain proportional. If you make a link active (soor), another turns inactive (ahm) by this principle. When you reduce water's influence, you increase the influence of the other elements. While fire is mostly affected by this change (since water and fire fight each other for influence), the others (wind and earth) increase a little as well. You can relate this to energy: you can change electric energy into light, but you can't help losing some of that energy as heat. You can change water influence to fire influence, but you're going to lose some of that influence to water and earth through the transfer, so the effectiveness is somewhat dissipated.

That being said, this can still be a useful spell. It can be cast in Sphere I and at your level (4), it can probably be cast quickly. If something is attacking you, casting this spell can give you precious moments to collect your thoughts and make a decision. I would recommend letting this be your Distraction spell.

Frost Shield:

Frozenness is not an attribute of water. Coldness can be, but not the solidity of freezing. That belongs in the sphere of earth. Therefore, you cannot freeze something using water alone.

You do, however, have options. As a quick magical philosophy lesson: wind and earth are the two 'stable' elements. They know what they are. Fire and water are the two elements in the midst of an identity crisis. Fire is earth desiring to be wind, and water is wind desiring to be earth. (As I see it, water is the "One step at a time--I just need to calm down and focus on being earth" while fire is more of the "I'm not holding back!! Out of my way!! Wind or bust!!") When you freeze something, you're working in line with water's desire: to be like earth.

Not doubt about it: coldness is one of the attributes of water that most quintessentially expresses this desire. All you need it a reagent that will help you link the properties of water and earth, so that by influencing one, you influence the other. I'm more than satisfied to have your aquamarine crystal do this for you. If your sword is aligned and embedded with aquamarine crystals, I would argue that it would be able to serve as a reagent for you. Now the hard part:

This has to be a spell of the second sphere (for a rather weak shield) or of the third sphere (if you want something stronger). The air in front of you simply does not not have that much water ounia within it. If you collect it, you'll get a thin shield. If you pull it in, connecting ounia together from outside, potentially far-away sources, you can get something sizable. If it's raining, foggy, or extremely humid, you're good.

Quicksand:

Unlike the attribute of coldness, the attribute of liquidity works against water's desire. Instead, you're working from the fundamental nature of water--which is wind. Do you need reagents for this spell? No. Liquidity is purely an attribute of water, so no reagents needed unless for focus, but it is a difficult spell. Why? Because liquidity is often against the fundamental tendencies of solid things. Rocks may get warm or may get cold--but rocks are highly unlikely to become light as air and float. This is also a strange spell because when you increase the influence of this property, you're not taking away influence from fire, but rather earth. I haven't quite worked out how that works...

The effectiveness of this spell will in part depend on what you're casting it on, and will probably require you to pull in other water ounia (sphere III). Why? Well, how much water ounia would you suspect to be in a dried-out wooden floor? Now if you're talking about the ground, which may be moist just under the surface, sphere II would probably work fine. I'm good with you having this spell provided you use it with sensitivity to your level. Semi-moist ground: yes. Wooden floors, dry tundra, solid rock: no.

At your level, I would expect you might be able to 'trap' someone up to their ankles. Why so little? Because the deeper in they go, the deeper area of effect you have to maintain, and the more water ounia you'll need to move around and affect. Also, considering that this spell increases the concentration of earth and water ounia within a relatively small area, and considering that both those elements are used to freeze, I would say you have the potential to really debilitate someone with this as a combination effect.

Quick note: keep in mind this spells take time to cast. This would be a hard spell to cast suddenly; think of it more in terms of a "trapping" spell, so someone coming at you may get stuck upon approach.

Fog:

I'm fine with this, provided there's enough water in the air. Something I do want to bring your attention, too, though, simply because I know that you are a student of magic: clarity is an attribute of wind while opaqueness is an attribute of earth (probably not a shocker). Fog lingers in the realm of water. Notice how water combines these attributes when it manifests: fog is not clear... but it's not completely opaque either. Expect your "unstable" elements (water and fire) to exhibit or even combine attributes from the stable elements (wind and earth).

I know this is a lot to throw at you. I hope it makes sense, more or less, but let me know if you have questions. I'm here to help.

Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

Done :)

- Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »

Since the effects of Sphere I spells are only temporary, anything caught up in the quicksand will be effectively trapped.

Quicksand would probably involve I and II; also, keep in mind almost all spells are temporary, as magic usually involves altering the natural order of car'allia. Carallia will always seek to return to their natural state.

Other than that, and your acknowledgment of the limitations of these spells, I'm good with this! Nice work, Ridgen.

Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:17 AM »

Thanks, Rayne :D

Edits made accordingly. Ish.

- Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2012, 08:03:12 AM »

So uhm... Whaat now? buck

- Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »

I reminded the other CD Mods about this yesterday, but it's a busy time of year. If I don't hear anything back soon, I'm just going to start bugging Altario to move it back to Archive. I think you're ready to go.  ;)

Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

Just a real quick comment, Ridgen. In your "Weapons" section, it still says "level 3 water mage" which I'm pretty sure you've upped it up to level 4, right?

Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Mindweaver
Mini-mod

Random person ^^

Homepage
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

Fixed.

- Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »

Banishing you back to the bowels of the archive. :P

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]