Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Manticore's Herbarium (Shatí Up)  (Read 2312 times)
Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »

Overview:
The Manticore’s Herbarium is a slightly cramped two story building on the eastern side of the city of Barvados.  A small plaque with a manticore painted on it is the only thing that separates it from any of the other buildings surrounding it.  As one gets closer however, pungent aromas can be smelt wafting in between the cracks of the front door.  The building also appears to be constructed entirely from coastal redwood, possibly shipped from the neighboring Sharadon forest.

The Manticore’s Herbarium can be found on the eastside of the city of Barvados, capital of the Province of Brendolan in the Kingdom of Santhala.  It is located right next to a small market square that fills up around Sundown.

Downstairs:

The Shop Front:
As you pass through the door to the front of the shop your nose is overwhelmed by a multitude of scents that appear to be coming through a doorway behind the front desk.  To your left you can see a staircase leading to the upper reaches of the building.  Light illuminates the front of the shop from a window just behind where you are standing.  The desk is covered with papers that are covered in what appear to be several lists of herbs to be delivered and the costs for said deliveries.  To your right is a giant bookcase filled with dusty tomes all about the herbs of Santharia.

The Herbal Storage:
As you navigate your way behind the front desk, you find yourself in a large room filled with row upon row of shelves.  On the shelves can be found various herbs ranging from the jeshanna lily to the bladeleaf fern, seemingly organized in a way only known to the shopkeeper.  On the left side of the room is a small doorway that leads to what appears to be the kitchen.  Two chandeliers hang above the shelves providing lighting throughout the room.  On the far right can be found a table covered in bundles of herbs and a well used mortar and pestle.

The Kitchen:
As you enter the kitchen the first thing you notice is the somewhat cramped feeling it gives off.  It is only lit by a small lantern next to a well used cutting board.  A single shelf filled with dishes can be found above a somewhat small table.  The scent of various seasonings used over time assaults your nose.  The paint on the wall appears to be peeling a bit and several cobwebs cover the corners of the room.

Upstairs:

The Side Hallway:
As you finish walking up the stairs you appear in a long narrow hallway with a door at the end.  The walls are festooned with paintings of Barvados and, more recently, Sharadon Forest.  A series of candles attached to the wall provide lighting.  The floorboards creak unmercifully as you walk across to the end of the hallway.

The Common Room:
As you enter the common room the sound of a crackling fire touches your ears.  In the center of the room is a large circular table made out of coastal redwood and surrounded by wooden chairs made out of the same material.  To the end of the room are two large windows providing illumination as well as a chandelier hanging from the ceiling.  To the right are two doorways leading to the bedrooms.  To your immediate left is a bookshelf filled with books meant for casual reading.  Warmth radiates from the fireplace at the left of the room.  A large silk rug covers the floor.

The Master Bedroom:
As you pass through the door you find a large comfortable looking bed taking up most of the room.  Next to it is a small table with a candle meant for reading.  Light pours into the room from a large window on the left.  A trunk to your immediate left catches your attention and as you open it you find it filled with neatly folded clothes.

The Guest Bedroom:
You suppress a sneeze as you enter this bedroom.  A thin layer of dust covers everything, including the neatly made bed in the middle of the room.  A painting hangs above it of a smiling gray-haired man who can only be Rorrick Dalfen, the previous owner of the shop.  A single candle lying on a small table next to the bed provides the only illumination.

NPC’s:

Saura Bertfort:
The neice of the original owner of the shop, Rorrick Dalfen and the official co owner of the shop.  She has been taking care of the shop since Shatí left.  She sleeps with her husband in the master bedroom.

Leith Bertfort:
Saura Bertfort’s loyal and dutiful husband.  He has been helping to categorize all of the herbs contained in the shop.  He sleeps with his wife in the master bedroom.

Links:

CD

Maeverhim elves

Barvados
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:57:24 PM by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Everything is a matter of perspective.  One man's gaurdian angel is another's devil.- Shati Up
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

*Fu blows his nose*

This is a really trialling place for a hay fever sufferer, you know! And the state of that guest room is just appalling. Aren't you aware that some people are allergic to dust?

Ahem.

Shatí, what a lovely and well-written description. I like how you take the perspective of a visitor and guide the reader through the rooms. If this doesn't attract customers, I'd be surprised.

I've got one question, though: The position of Shatí in the shop is unclear to me. Is Shatí the other owner, along with Saura? I haven't read your CD, and that might be the reason for my confusion, of course. But even if your CD explains the matter, I think it might be good to repeat the information here.

In particular: you write that Shatí has left the shop. Is it the case, then, that a visitor would interact with the NPCs only, and not with Shatí herself? This would be important to clarify, I think, for players may want to know what approximately they're getting themselves into when they enter your shop.

Oh, and a detail:

Saura Bertfort:
The neice

... niece

Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »

Sorry, I thought I got that.  Yes, I'm debating about whether or not to include Shatí himself in the thread.  However, you have a point so I may as well.  Shatí is the coowner of the shop, with Saura being the other coowner.  By the way, after the original owner died and Shatí left, the guest room has not been used in over a year.

Everything is a matter of perspective.  One man's gaurdian angel is another's devil.- Shati Up
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Story Mod

Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »

Greetings.

Nice to have someone else living in Bardavos, and it seems like a nice house.

Just one little question though.

I guess Shatí was/is living in the guestroom while Saura and Leith are living in the masterbedroom? That's the impression I get after reading your last post, but I was a bit in doubt when reading the the description itself. It might be an idea to put in a line about who is sleeping in what room. Then again that might just be me.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:13:33 PM by Azalahn » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »

Don't forget that you'll need to have your name somewhere in the Subject line, Shatí Úp, just to make it easier for others to know whose house it is. Like I suggested to Azalahn, you might just put (Shatí Úp) in brackets afterwards.

Most people wanting to go to your house would probably want to see you. So, it'll be important that you are there at least some of the time, between adventures etc.

Finally, don't forget to put in the links to your tribe as well as to your CD in your house description :)

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:51:15 AM »

Thank you Dek, I've been meaning to do that, I must have forgot.  I've changed the name and I think I'll go with your suggestion of Shatí apearing in between adventures.  I've been wondering though, how do you make links to other pages?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:56:34 AM by Shatí Úp » Logged

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Story Mod

Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:37:21 AM »

I've been wondering though, how do you make links to other pages?
OK let's see if I can explain this without actually making a link instead.

Use < > instead of ()

(A href=webaddress)Text as you want to appear in the link (/A)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:41:19 AM by Azalahn » Logged

Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:32 AM »

I'm sorry but I have completely no idea what you just said.

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Story Mod

Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:57:07 AM »

OK lets say that you would like to make a link to Altario's house. In this case the webaddress (url) would be http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php?board=60.0

so you make the link like:

(A href=http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php?board=60.0)Altario's house(/A)

and you use "<" and ">" instead of "(" and ")" 

Hope that helps ?

Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:54 AM »

Well this is annoying.  I can do the links but the problem is if I access the site mainstream the same webadress remains remains for every article in the site.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:20:44 AM »

What links are you trying to access?  Specific posts?  or pages in the Compendium?

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »

Pages in the compedium, specifically Barvados and the Maeverhim Elves.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:38 AM »

Then do not take the adresss from the top bar.  Instead, right click within the page and click on "Properties".  A page will pop up showing the proper address there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:23:53 AM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Shatí Úp
Pacifistic Healer
Approved Character

Elf, Maeverhim

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »

Thank you, Alterio, that as extremely helpfull.  Now I finally have the links up and am ready for more comments.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 03:34:15 AM »

Just don't tell anyone.  I hate it when people start thinking I'm a nice guy.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]

[March 09, 2018, 05:45:59 PM]