Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

- THE CD FORUM POSTICON SYSTEM -

Below is a summary on the posticons used for the character description approval process. The posticon of the first post should always be edited according to the current state of completion of the character description (either by the player, a Moderator or an Administrator).
1) PLAYER - CD is incomplete. Use this posticon if you have not finished your CD.  4) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by one moderator. A second mod's approval is needed.
 2) PLAYER - CD is completed. Use this if you have finished working on your CD.  5) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by two moderators. An Administrator should soon take care of the titling.
 3) MODERATOR - An expert's opinion is needed. The specific field in which the expert's help is needed should be added to the title.  6) ADMINISTRATOR - An administrator has titled the character, and the thread will soon be moved to the CD Archives.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kenriil Herringrap  (Read 5340 times)
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« on: February 05, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

Name
 Kenriil Herringrap

Just the right age, not too young, not too old!

Race
 Hobbit

Tribe
 Helmondsshire Hobbits
Occupation
Restless Wanderer

Title
Mini-Hero

Height

Is it a ped or more?

Weight

Definitely not more than five hebs!

Kenriil Herringrap
    of Helmondsshire, aged to Halfling perfection at a smart thirty-four-and-three-eighths years. Known to his friends, who seem to be of his own design as a "Mini-Hero", Ken's profession, if such must be named, would be a wanderer. This is because of the fact that he, well, wanders. Everywhere. Honestly, he's almost as busy wandering as he is talking. More on that later.

Appearance
To look upon Kenriil, one might mistake him for a midget elf, or even a human. His belly is small, his figure a square, agile one. He doesn't even reek of pipeweed, although I suppose that's kindof hard to see. Still, you might notice his deep brown shoulder-length hair, or his thick eyebrows of roughly the same color. It's amazing how they do that. You'd think the eyebrows could afford to be a different color, even if slightly. Sure, familiarity's a good thing, but so is individuality. Regardless, the hair on the back of his hands and the top of his feet doesn't have the sense to be a different color, so why should his eyebrows bother?

His nose is short and bulbous, like the end of an onion plant, without the roots. The roots aren't much for eating anyway. It'd have to be a really small onion, too. Like a leek or something. Leeks are good, you know, especially in a thick soup. Just some nice square hunks of taenish, a good double handful of boiled rizjo, and a few full stems of leek, with a bulb like Ken's nose each, and you've got a meal fit for a king. Well, a hobbit granddad, anyway.

On Ken's left hand, he's missing his little finger. Normally, one would think that this is a slightly lessened injury, due to the fact that his left hand would be the off-hand, and he could probably get away without it. No such luck here. Ken is nearly so ambidextrous, although his left hand does seem to be the more prominent one. Still, it isn't much, just the little finger, and quite honestly he rarely notices it. Except when he wishes he had it, but that's another story entirely.

His eyes would have slipped past getting mentioned. They are, quite naturally, a bright, nearly gray blue. Naturally due to the fact that he hasn't got them changed colors yet. Assuming, of course, such a thing would be possible. I mean, why not? People change their hair color, sometimes even their skin colors, if you want to get creative. Maybe a glass eye would give him some nice green among all the bluish-white. However, he has no glass eye, or tattoos, or even jewelry to break up his normal, fair skin.

Not, of course, that his "fair skin" is all that's showing. Quite the opposite. He is always well-clad in foresty greens and earthen browns, not to mention the omnipresent shortsword strapped to his back, which he wields like a true warrior. His pointed green hat makes a nice final touch to it, and really adds to his heroic impression, and probably reinforces the miniature aspect as well.

And for final finishing touches, which should naturally come at the end of this part of the description, being its finishing touches and all, and of course, final, Ken is of average height for a halfling of his age, nothing spectacular, although he is thin. What makes this even more curious is that he comes from a family of notably large-bellied folk. Not all of them are large-bellied, but it is one of their greatest prides, often taking to having belly-bumping contests at nearly any kind of social gathering, and especially after several pints of home-made Breddlad liquor. If it isn't clear enough in the previous, he's a lightweight.

Personality
Of all the words one could use, Ken's personality might best be described in one word: wordy. Although this misses a few details, it is somewhat precise. For example, it doesn't state that he's unerringly cheery, nor does it explain his pension for being naive when confronted with circumstances on which he really is perfectly knowledgeable. Ken can ask the same question over indefinitely as though it was never answered, yet when asked the same question, will usually have the answer on hand. That is another thing "wordy" doesn't exactly point to: his unerring intellectual capacity. Ken could probably memorize every book ever written in Tharian, and never know the difference. This, of course, does not exactle equate to smart, but it is worth mentioning as a trait of his personality.

Wordy also fails to mention his heroic tendencies. Granted, heroic in his mind consists mostly of striking someone down who is offending someone who he labels innocent, but it grants him from his imaginary friends the title of Mini-Hero, and that's a title his imaginary friends don't give to very many people. And even though his imaginary friends are full of comments about other people, other people generally don't notice them as well as he does. Of course, he doesn't expect them to. They're his friends.

What wordy does describe is Ken's biggest trait: talking. Ken talks. And talks; and talks, and talks and talks and talks. And that's just the beginning. Ken is known to talk even when he sleeps, although his words are generally softer and more slurred. He talks during any situation, about anything that happens to catch his attention at the moment. Kenriil has been talking for who-knows-how long, and hasn't stopped yet, nor does he plan on it. One might think his lungs would get tired of all that talking, yet his steady-running commentary of daily life continues, merging into his commentary of nightly-life, and on back into his daily life. Food, plants, swords, people, houses, water, are just a few samples of the things he can converse endlessly with no-one on.

Strengths:
To start with, we'll name the first strength that gives him an advantage over your average hobbit: swordplay. Really, Ken's good at swordplay. Compared, of course, with the average hobbit. His speed and dexterity are legendary among his friends, at least, his imaginary ones.

A close second is taken by his intellect, or, more accurately, his store of knowledge. Ken remembers everything; there are few details that miss his all-searching eyes, the blue-gray ones, which on the surface seem to only just glance over, well, the surface. Still, the rate at which he gathers and retains information is astounding. His friends think so, too. At least, they would if he ever mentioned it to them. He never thinks about it that way, so they never get to talk about it.

Also worth mentioning is his ability to create a meal. Simply put, Kenriil can take just about any ingredients that aren't outright toxic, and almost always make something worth eating. And what with that being simply put, it's also rather concise.

Whether his constant sound of talking is beneficial or harmful, it certainly bears worth mentioning in a conversation about either subject.

Weaknesses
In a hobbit's way of thinking, Ken's biggest weakness is probably gardening. More particularly, his lack thereof. Ken never gardens, he's just never had the knack most hobbits possess. He can harvest and cook just fine, but getting a plant to grow just seems to be impossible. Simply putting his affection on a plant, he seems to think, will hurt its chances of living.

In other terms, his biggest weakness is quite possibly his intelligence. Or, as before, his lack thereof. While he may store up massive amounts of information, he rarely uses any of it, even in situations where it might be beneficial, he must be reminded of the fact that he knows the answer before he can give it.

Ken's missing finger does also hinder him, but not to a great extent. It makes parrying a real joy, or rather, a real lack of joy. Even with his amazingly swift strikes, drives, slashes and dodging, a simple parry can usually leave him armless... or armsless, whichever is more proper. Case-dependant, really. If the enemy was looking to amputate his arms, why then he'd be both, wouldn't he?

As with all of his knowledge, his abilities such as swordplay, herb-lore, and the like must be brought to his attention before they truly exist.

Whether his constant sound of talking is beneficial or harmful, it certainly bears worth mentioning in a conversation about either subject.

History
With as much time has been spent on all the several subjects, it stands to reason that his history should recieve equal focus. However, there may not be enough to focus on. His history is rather shallow. Kenriil was raised in Helmondsshire by his mother Demie Horsegrin and his father Tcha Herringrap. Of course, that was not his only influences; rather far from it. Being a hobbit, and a hobbit family in good standing among the neighborhoods, he was visited daily by fun-loving halflings from hundreds of random little shires all over everywhere. As he matured, he spent a lot of time with his mother learning about plants, while the rest of his four brothers were out learning about ale with their father. His food was the pride of the six sisters, they having been highly instrumental in teaching him, their youngest brother, under their mother's supervision. Often, he was called the "seventh sister."

His love for food grew, and along with it, his knowledge, useable knowledge of plants, herbs and spices. Now, he rarely goes hungry, except in the winter. Shortly after the ceremony celebrating his rise into manhood, where he tasted his first of the family's home-made Breddlad ale. The immediate after-effects seem to have been forgotten, but they fetched him another tankard, and with a little help from a couple uncles, he'd downed that one as well. Never mind the kicking, screaming and gagging, everyone was having a roaring good time. As I was saying, a few days after that, still recovering from a serious head injury, which probably stemmed more from recovering from alcohol than actually striking his head against anything aside from soft bellies, he undertook to go hunting for herbs. Curiousity followed curiousity, and the next time he saw a building, it was in Milkengrad.

In Milkengrad for a while, he met many strange adventures. Not the least of which was the loss of his finger. It happened around a large pile of trash left out by some unnamed entity, although Ken to this day swears on anything he finds that might seem worth swearing on that he was not ratching through that pile of garbage for something to eat. Rather, when pressed, he was searching through the pile of garbage for something to trade for money so he could show it to someone who would chase him down for it so he could have a good reason to run from them and while running, steal off with a little food. Or at least, to quote one variation of the tale.

The tale he tells always begins the same, that he searched the garbage for whatever treasure he might find, and with variations including the teeth of a sleeping psyrpent, something crudely removed most of his finger. From here the story usually changes, going from running for a while and eventually passing out in a street, to something involving magic, a troll, and the daughter of a rich merchant. None of his stories are verifiable, and the least dramatic variations generally tend to stand about as much chance of being the truth as the most colorful ones. The story usually ends the same, though, with a physician, sometimes malevolent, sometimes benign, ends up cutting off the ragged remains of his finger and bandaging it up. Or wrapping it in a poison poultice, depending on which physician he chooses for the given telling of the story.

In Milkengrad, he met up with an elf, and for eight years they adventured together. From this friend, and after many cuts and bruises, he learned the way of the sword. This elf had always some destination in mind, something that he would never be able to reach but always wanted to see, and eventually Ken picked up on it. His new life goal: Find home again. Eight years passed, and Ken did find home again. And his parents; and four brothers and six sisters, eighteen cousins on his father's side and twelve on his mother's and granparents and... the rest of the family. This lasted for another year or two, before the traveling bug caught up with him, and he rather spontaneously packed his spoon, his bag of sugar crystals, his tea leaves, his light leather jacket he called his armor, his essential green cap and his shortsword, and left.

Since then, he's seen plenty of adventure, and "looking for home" has become a rather handy excuse to travel just about anywhere with just about anyone.

Weapons:
Ken's only weapon is his shortsword. Nondescript, really. Just a standard little piece of steel that he carries like it was a ped long or more. There could be more said, but it wouldn't be about this shortsword, so it will be sufficient with that.

Belongings:
Quite a stache of curious goods here. Aside from his clothes, Ken generally carries with him a silver spoon, and several little leather pouches. Most of them are simply his mixtures of herbs for teas and health and medicinal purposes. One of them contains his sugar. According to rumor, one of them contains his money, but it's not often seen, so there can be no verification. If he does have money, it's in one of these little leather pouches. Probably with some kind of tea blend.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:56:51 PM by Kenriil » Logged
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:31:23 AM »

Oh, my favourite hobbit! And no time to reread. But soon!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Freya Tyr
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 07:35:23 AM »

My opinion may not come to much since i am new to this role playing lark but i have to say your Hobbit is the best character description i have seen yet and believe me i have been through a fair number of threads to somehow 'perfect' my own character. 'Ken' reminds me of Boe Starlinggale, a hobbit hero from Helmondshire, much like yourself. He also reminds me of a later confident Bilbo Baggins from 'The Hobbit', without the annoying need to eat so much!

All in all your character is very well described and i am looking forward to hear of his future adventures!  

Keldren
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »

I have been roleplaying for nearly twenty years and I can say ithout a doubt that I would love to adventure with a character like this. I enjoy the wit in your CD very much but I am curios about a few things. How DID he lose the finger? And also...Is he a little bit insane (a reta weakness) I mean what with all his imaginary friends...I am right in that they are imiginary aren't I?

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »

You are correct in believing they are imaginary. However, when it comes right down to it, Ken would probably readily admit that they are not real, and I would assume he keeps them only as an excuse to... you know, talk. Lemme look over your other comments...

Losing his finger. Yes; that's something I need to add in there. Lessee... where would it fit...

----------------
...only guess that you're still listening. But let me tell you a little about myself...

Elendilwyn
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »

Lovely CD. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and the imaginary friends bit was great… I wonder why people rarely mention voices in the head. Very interesting character. One gets the sense that he is talking to himself half the time which I suppose is probably true to all the hobbity bits. One thing I must say is that the character of your character is very well reflected in the style of writing. In short, wonderful. It adds a great dimension to the CD because it is more than simply description. One can actually feel the character through the words.  

I would love to play with a character like that. Well Done! :thumbup  

The day has waned, walk with me, grant me this song... Can you hear?
The midnight sun is calling...

Elendilwyn Gwaihir

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 01:46:23 AM »

Nice CD indeed. The only comment I have is that it would be nice to add how he aquired a sword and learned to use it.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~
Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »

Well, I added something about his ability, anyway. Not much, but...

----------------
...only guess that you're still listening. But let me tell you a little about myself...

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »

Kenriil, your "myself" link is not working....

Nothing much to nitpick here - maybe add your knowledge about herbs etc like mentioned in the history to strengths, or formulate it a bit clearer.

I'm not sure about balance though - he seems quite strong (his swordplay, his attitude towards life), I don'tknow, if I should add his talkative nature to weaknesses or strength
Your lack of gardenskills might be a weakness , if he lives at home, but he doesn't, so it can't be count as one (though I would not remove it!)
Maybe a small little weakness, something which itches him now and then? Something he can't eat, but likes very much. (Well.... sugary things might make him ill, but he loves them and will eat them nevertheless? Just an idea..)  

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 06:20:23 AM »

Okay, here's roughly how I balanced it: Cooking/gardening, swordplay/missing finger(parrying is an absolute necessity to this kind of battle, but he can't do it.), intellect/intellect, and talking/talking. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, about his ability with herbs, you are correc. Something needs to be done, as with herbs, there is ability beyond just food-spicing.

----------------

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 07:37:23 AM »

Well, as I said, not knowing how to care for a garden is not really a weakness, if he is on the road while rplaying. I have no idea if a missing finger is hindering your swordplay or parrying..

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

Parrying is an integral part of sword-fighting. When an opponent strikes, one cannot always move out of the way, and thus with one's weapon one must stop or alter the course of the opponent's weapon, thus nullifying the attack. However, with Kenriil's situation, it really makes him 50% useless in a battle, and that's only if he's really, really good at dodging.

To put it in AD&D terms, just because I feel like it, he'd only be getting half his DEX bonus to AC. ... of course, that means nothing in this kind of RP, but it might give you an idea of what's going on.

Aigh. All my edits are getting shorter and shorter. It's like a plague.

----------------

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 12:15:23 AM »

I take it as you say it, though I can't follow your explanation with the missing finger. I know that parrying is part of the swordplay, but do you mean he has less grip on his sword because he misses only this little finger? Seems odd to me, but who am I to know about these things?  ;)    

Done so far?

Edit:

That is it!
Quote:
As with all of his knowledge, his abilities such as swordplay, herb-lore, and the like must be brought to his attention before they truly exist.

Ok, I move you down again!

Put the race, tribe etc on top, hope you don't mind!

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/11/06 16:35
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
Story Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 01:16:30 AM »

Brought up as requested. :)

Kenriil
Mini-Hero
Approved Character

Hobbit

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 03:40:01 AM »

Holy crime-fighters. I hadn't expected the old EZ-Code to tag-bomb me like that. Going to take a bit to update all the tags. Pacing myself here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]