Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Geoffrey Cracker - Serphelorian Human - Spy  (Read 5397 times)
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

Human, Serphelorian/ Korweynite

« on: November 15, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »

Name Geoffrey Cracker

Age 29

Race Human

Tribe Serphelorian Father, Korweynite mother

Occupation
A spy, of sorts. Otherwise known to do night watches or otherwise lonely jobs when times are hard and nobody wants to find out anything.

Title Jack-of-all-trades

Overview
A tall, slight, not especially muscled man who dabbles in subterfuge and, ironically, also does what is seen to be noble jobs such as guarding and night watches. He is quiet, slow to trust, and prefers to see things develop a comfortable distance - being across the tavern at least.

Height: Two peds, one nailsbredth.

Weight: One Pygge, Four Hebs, and Two Ods

Eye colour: Light blue

Hair colour: Chestnut

Appearance
Geoffrey may be tall for a human, as he is two peds, but he is incredibly skinny as his weight suggests – this is why many people take a look at him and think that they could take him on in a bar brawl. Thanks to his Korweynite heritage, he has curly, chestnut hair, and pale blue eyes due to the Serphelorian father he had.

His face, although not ugly, is not exactly stunning either. He’s handsome, in his own way – not the typical “knight in shining armour” kind of handsome (which is to say, perfectly cut hair, upon an almost feminine visage, and clean-shaven, granite chin), but has certain aspects of this description; he has a pretty solid looking chin, anyway. However he usually hides this under a heavy layer of stubble, as he cannot afford to shave often, and sports a small nose, which, he can proudly say, has never been broken. Yet. Bushy eyebrows also adorn his facial features, matching his chestnut hair, which he can move to comical effect when he finds something incredulous.

Clothing
Geoffrey usually wears a plain white tunic and black breeches. To aid in his tasks of espionage, he also wears a dark brown hooded cloak, which is held together over his shoulders by a simple piece of string. Because of his extreme distrust of whom he supposes as thieves, he keeps his money in a satchel under his tunic, which is worn by a shoulder strap under his cloak. He also wears a pair of leather boots for his times on the road.

In his pack Geoffrey carries a very much less worn pair of breeches, and a light blue tunic should he have to attend more formal meetings such as parties. With this he wears a black waistcoat, which has been buttoned all the way to the tip of the coat, as per the standards of formal attire, as most of the time he is but a waiter or other such servant – who suspects servants to eavesdrop anyway?

Geoffrey wears no jewellery, ever – “it's just gold on show,” he would say, and thus easier to steal.

Personality
Geoffrey Cracker is a natural loner. He has few friends in few places, and often hides from them, lest he be caught on the job. Because he is a loner, people often distrust him, calling him “funny looking” and generally weird. However, if on the off chance that one does manage to talk to him without him giving monosyllabic answers, then you’ll find that although he’s non-committal, he’s generally likeable and not unfriendly. He also has a somewhat dry sense of humour, tending not to enjoy the one-liners that drunken men often guffaw at. He is, however, incredibly private, can be very defensive and, if one is insistent about his doings, generally outright rude, to deter you into going away. “My business is none of your concern,” he often says to certain unsavoury companies.

Being a spy, he is himself naturally inquisitive, and find people’s first impressions very important as a way of constructing an opinion of them. He dislikes boisterous, gregarious peoples, thinking them arrogant and cocksure, but likes like-minded individuals, who are generally reserved and doesn’t talk too much. He can, however, become other personas due to his occupation.

He also has a fascination with knives. This has led to him trying to invent many new types of knives, for different purposes, many often failing, but recently he has managed to think of a new type of blade, which he calls the “butterfly knife”, as the blade unfolds like a butterfly’s wings, and the concealing wood is used as a handle. However, because he is shy he hasn’t managed to talk to a Gnome or Dwarf or even a human smith for his design to take shape yet. Also because of his acts of subterfuge, he has taken it upon himself to sit in libraries and read anatomical books, so he knows where to strike against men, dwarfs and other races.

Unfortunately, and, to be blunt, Geoffrey is, always was, and always will be lazy – lounging would be his favourite pastime if he had the will. He didn’t bother learning many skills; he has the knowledge to hit people and fish because he was interested and it keeps him alive. He does have imagination also – hence the butterfly knife – but if he does not have to do something, chances are, he wont do it. Spying (in his case anyway) does not require much effort, for all he has to do is listen, see, slyly take, run away and hide, occasionally assault but never seriously maim or injure (yet), and so does not bother to change his ways – this is Geoffrey’s hubris; to always work at the same thing without checking what else he could do.

Because of his reading, however, he has a distinct distrust of elves, because their longevity, haughtiness and aloofness makes it difficult for him to figure out if they’re lying or not. “Them elven folks always speak in riddles. Confusing they are, and weak-kneed and holier-than-thou, and always attract the lady folks of every race. They look like girls an’ all. ‘Ruddy weak-kneed girly elves…”

Strengths
“Just another servant” – Poof, and he’s gone, Geoffrey really is good at disappearing in plain sight; often, he is seen stealing important papers before being submerged into a sea of faces.

Wiry – Although his mass/height ratio is low, he can still pack a punch for such a human. He won’t, however, win arm-wrestling contests against muscled brutes and naturally strong people.

Naturally dexterous – His long fingers can work their way out of knots and undo buttons, or even spin a knife around them.

Cunning – Not smart per se, he knows where to strike a man, and knows how to get in places. Just don't ask him any riddles.

Strong sense of self-preservation – When the arrows fly and the swords clash, Geoffrey is nowhere to be seen, having run away as things escalated. Needless to say, he will not have your back in a bar brawl.

Basic Education Can read and write, as long as the words aren't too complicated, and can do basic mathematics with his fingers.

Weaknesses
Slow to trust – Everyone can be a spy, and therefore won’t trust anyone without knowing him or her a good deal beforehand.

Naturally imbalanced – Ironically, Geoffrey cannot sneak about very well, preferring to hide in plain sight rather than in the shadows, as he is likely to trip and fall about, even when its not gloomy.

Frivolous with money Often, when he has money, it burns a hole in his pocket, due to his fear of thieves, pickpockets and other miscreants. Thus, he spends, almost wildly, until there is no money left to steal. In the past, this has left him unable to buy meals regularly.
Generally unlucky - No matter how hard he may try, but Geoffrey can’t help but step on twigs, be falsely accused, and partake in other acts which could potentially lead to his discovery or demise.

Father's son – Despite everything, Geoffrey is still of Serphelorian blood, and thus mischievous, slightly cocky and big-headed – like the misfits of old.

Lazy – If left with a choice to work honestly and get paid, or lounge around and wait for tomorrow, Geoffrey would definitely do the latter.

Stuck in his ways – Geoffrey knows of no other way to earn money than to effectively stand around and listen attentively – he cannot work wood or metals, he cannot fish well enough to make a profit, and he deems himself too clumsy to create any sort of artwork. Subterfuge and security – two sides of the same coin – is mostly what Geoffrey does.

History
Not many know about Geoffrey Cracker’s previous history. With him always moving locations to avoid his half-sisters, he doesn’t get to know people for very long.

His father, Jack Cracker, was always a rebellious sort in a tribe of misfits, and had always looked down on his what he deemed lowly place in the tribe – cooking and cleaning was never for him, especially when he saw men of other tribes fighting and ruling, and even more especially as the community originates in south Sarvonia, where men are not encouraged to occupy leadership roles, or militant occupations. This notion only increased when he married his first wife – a proud but harsh lieutenant called Leila. In his view this only increased his shame, and after just a few turnings of the moon passed did he sneak away from the tribe.

It was not long after that Leila gave signs of showing child. However, the tribe was close to the shore, and at the first opportunity Jack bought his way aboard on a freighter as a simple sailor. It took, in a roundabout way, roughly five years to get to the eastern shore of Nybelmar – and not one thought towards the abandoned family on the Sarvonian shore. It was only a year later that he married again; this time to Geoffrey’s mother, a Korweynite of lowly status called Heidi.

Geoffrey was born six months later, to hide Heidi’s shame. Many Korweynites disliked Jack, but felt he did the right thing by marrying the youngling. For reasons undisclosed to anyone but his wife, Mr and Mrs Cracker had no more children – for to father any more would be beyond him; he wished for no more “unnecessary complications”.

During his time with his parents, his father taught him how to hunt, cook and clean, mend clothing, fish with and without a rod, his basic literary and mathematical skill, amongst other things. His mother taught him how to do many other peasant jobs such as the farmhand, the messenger, and the waiter. Although he had few friends within the town upon which he lived, he was taught the rudiments of fighting with the other local boys when called upon with the militia when he was but a boy of fifteen.

On Geoffrey’s eighteenth birthday, an old Korweynite elder told him of his fathers coming here – how, out of the blue, he bought a house from his earnings as a sailor for 5 years, and how he had met his mother in one of the less notable drinking houses. When he asked his father, he was suddenly extremely angry: “Who told you? How dare they slander me! Never mention this turn of events again!” was much the response Jack gave him. But Geoffrey, being of a curious nature, could not help himself, and his mother confided everything. Geoffrey was distraught – his father, a self-exile? A thief? He was disgusted. But he sought to make things right. Much like his father roughly twenty-six years earlier, he stole away into the night and boarded the next boat to Sarvonia as soon as he was able. He has not heard from his parents since.

Five years on from when he left Nybelmar, Geoffrey found the tribe his father had once belonged to, but much was changed from the tribe thirty-one years earlier. Leila had risen in power; she was now mistress of the community, and her children, Freda and Lara (for she had birthed twins) lieutenants of their own. Unfortunately for Geoffrey, his half-sisters were resentful of what Jack had done many years ago, and they charged him for his crimes of theft and adultery on his behalf, attempting to incarcerate Geoffrey without Leila’s knowledge. He barely escaped, stealing one of their horses and riding as fast as he could out of the region. Running the horse so hard killed it after losing Freda and Lara and riding for twenty leagues or more, and he was forced to cover the last few leagues on foot, towards the nearest settlement, which he never learned the name of and swiftly moved on to other, less dangerous pastures.

Having no lasting friends and nearly no family, Geoffrey has earned his spying skills himself, doing anything remotely related to subterfuge that anyone asks of him (within reason) until his present state, where he is vaguely known to be a competent set of eyes and ears.

Weapons
His all-purpose hunting knife, which is slightly curved and roughly 3 palmspans from handle base to tip.

Belongings
Two cooking pots.
A waterskin.
A bedroll.
A leather satchel that contains his money, and where he would keep important documents, should he have to “acquire” them.
Spare clothing.

“So many bloody thieves about this place. It’s a wonder anyone’s got stuff for people to steal at all…”
   Geoffrey Cracker

Good evenin’, M’lord. You look like the sort who need things done discreet like. Well, sir, I’d order your favourite beverage, like, and sit yerself with a shady sort like meself, and you’d need say no more to Crackers ‘ere. I won’t tell, eh? Wink wink, nudge nudge?
And M’lord, I advise you most profusely to not eat the cheese.

Oh, but pardon me manners, M’lord. How very improper of meself. Geoffrey Cracker’s the name, Subterfuge is the game and may I say so meself but I put others to shame when it comes to Espionage, Sabotage and other situations of scandalous skulduggery; the likes of which, sir, you may not wish to dirty your hands with personally, if I assume right, sir? Assassinations, however, are not my speciality – quite the opposite in fact – and therefore will have to charge extra. You unnerstand, o’course, don’t you sir?

Experience, sir? Why, I am the best in the business, sir! And I am relatively inexpensive also, sir. If I dare say so meself, sir, not even a well-trained bloodhound could sniff me out, sir. I’m but a shadow, sir – I am everywhere, without being tangibly anywhere. They shan’t pick me out, sir. Not possible, sir. Sir, o’course I would tell you of my previous deviances if I could, sir, but I cannot, in good faith, tell you.
You wouldn’t want to know anyway – it’s dangerous to know, sir. Suffice to say that I got into a sticky patch, and here I am.

But please, M’lord. That’s enough about me. Remember, I’m not important – certainly not important enough to know personally. Won’t want to bore you, sir.
Now, to business then…

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:02:55 PM by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

“So many bloody thieves about this place. It’s a wonder anyone’s got stuff for people to steal at all…”
Leif Terskun
Golden Wordsmith
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »

Hey Geoffrey! Welcome to Santharia. Looks like a great CD to me, and you've laid it out perfectly - although could you put spaces in between all of your paragraphs, such as at the very start, and when you list his hair and eye colour?

I know that you're still at work, but it looks pretty nearly finished to me, so I'm going to give a couple of comments on your Strengths and Weaknesses - just some things leapt out at me, so...

It strikes me that being self-preservatory would also contitute a strength, yes? More heroes die than cowards. Also, how exactly does it act as a weakness on its own? I can see it as a part of a weakness about others finding it hard to trust him, and that would fit your character as well.

On a formatting note, you still have [/i] written after your "inconspicuous", in the S&Ws section. That's just something you'd want to clear up, the merest typo.

If he can read or write at all
writes in a very basic fashion
, then it's a strength, which would also include being able to do mathematics much beyond counting on fingers. Perhaps say that he has basic education, meaning that he can read most texts which don't have too many complicated words in them, but he is a slow reader and sometimes needs to sound out longer words to himself, while his mathematical abilities are only just better than adding up on his fingers - or perhaps that he can only add up and subtract using his fingers. Strengths are relative to the illiterate, uneducated, non-swordwielding, non-spellthrowing peasant. As are weaknesses.

I confess that you confused me a little when you said that he is both dextrous and clumsy, but I sort of see how it could work now - although the wording is a trifle confusing. Also, most people are liable to trip in the dark, so this may want to be expanded upon.

Finally, your dislike of elves and magic are not such strong weaknesses. Magic is very rare in the lands of Caelereth, and elves are not too common either. I would say that although you can keep these, you may want to add one more good weakness, at least, especially in view of the fact that he is literate and knows when to run, which I think should definitely be strengths.

That's all for now. Hopefully we'll see you on the boards as soon as possible.

Leif

Words convey knowledge; knowledge is power; thus power lies in words
Leif Terskun
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:56:04 AM »

Hey Leif! Thanks for the great time and consideration you've given to my CD - your comment is very helpful, and I have rewritten, editted and changed accordingly. Now everything is generally done, although I suspect that, as I'm the new guy, things are likely to change with Geoffrey, especially the History section, I think. That little bit might be a problem there.

Thanks for showing me the ropes anyway! Hopefully I'll get approved soon, and I'll see you in a tavern somewhere :D

Ergolach Flowerdew
Erratic Bard
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24:25 AM »

There is one thing... maybe I'm wrong but I think that Sophronian tribe doesn't exist anymore in the times we're roleplaying in.

Ergolach Flowerdew ['ɛɾɡolax 'flʌuəɾdjʉ]
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »

Ehe. Oh yeah. Oops.

I must've been mixed up with the Serphelorians, for that's what they turned into. Right. I guess it's back to changing stuff for me :P

Thanks for pointing it out though! :D

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian/ Rhulran

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:42:40 AM »

Fears Orcs – As orcs are loud, bawdy, and often start bar brawls, orcs scare him almost to the point of running away. To him, orcs mean danger. However, if an orc succeeds in approaching him, and if the job is right, Geoffrey is still likely to take the job the orc offers.

The last little stipulation that you make (that Geoffrey is still likely to take a job from an orc), negates this into being more of a minor weakness. I would suggest you cut out the last sentence, so that you can strengthen this weakness, and possibly switch him from just being a bit inconspicuous, to someone who can quite easily get lost in a crowd, or even hides in a crowd in disguise (which would fit in with your occupation choice quite well).

The statement below this is false.
The statement above this is true.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Leif Terskun
Golden Wordsmith
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:45 AM »

Good point Alexandre makes, and raises another question in my mind. Would he take a job from an elf? Or would he very disinclined to do so?

I like your monologue at the end...very nice.

Leif Terskun
Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »

I like your monologue at the end...very nice.

Yes, I agree. If anything, I always want to encourage some artistry when people make their CD's.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Valan Nonesuch
Collector of Lore
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:30:54 AM »

Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!
Valan Nonesuch
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:30 AM »

Ok, more changes made. Hope that's more like it (it was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be).

Much obliged, gentlemen :)

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:21 AM »

Generally unlucky - No matter how hard he may try, but Geoffrey can’t help but step on twigs, be falsely accused, and partake in other acts which could potentially lead to his discovery or demise.

I love this weakness! It would be a lot of fun to think about this weakness when you are rping, so I really would like to see you keep that one, unless the CD ends up going in a totally different direction.

His father, Jack Cracker, was always a rebellious sort in a tribe of misfits (perhaps quite wrongly, as he is in a tribe of Serphelorians)

Actually, as you can see in the "people" section of the Serphelorian entry, it wouldn't be all that surprising for one of their tribe to be rebellious and mischievous:

Ignorance of Serphelorian ways in members of other tribes has caused some problems since the unification of  Santharia. There have been many bar fights or duels from Serphelorian women defending the honour of their men, and not a few men attacked for being ‘un-manly’ by their counterparts from other tribes. Similar problems have occurred when Serphelorian women have experienced discrimination from, or have themselves discriminated against, women from other tribes. This is somewhat controlled now by an awareness of difference and an intolerance of this type of rudeness in much of Sanguia.

Another characteristic which travellers from other tribes are often surprised by is the Serphelorian forwardness. Both genders can be quite obscene by, for example, Erpheronian or Avennorian standards, when in the pursuit of a member of the opposite sex. The Serphelorian sense of humour is similarly inopportune, being by turns slapstick, salacious and scatological enough to make even the most worldly Avennorian courtesan blush. Once over the initial shock, however, most people eventually find Serphelorian humour riotously funny, perhaps because it is so inappropriate.

Aside from official dates, the Serphelorians we know today can be distinguished from the Sophronians in two main ways. First, they are settled, living in permanent houses and stable communities. There are no nomads left wandering the hills and plains of Sanguia, although it is true that more Serphelorians enjoy leading itinerant, adventuresome lives than do people from many other tribes. Second, they are matriarchal but have a great degree of equality between the sexes, unlike in the Sophronian tribe.

As you can see, there is a certain degree of animosity (from a larger cultural perspective) towards Serphelorians, so it is very plausible that one from that tribe would be rebellious if he/she were in a place like southern Sarvonia.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:21:02 AM by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 06:23:23 AM »

Aha, I keep doing this; I put the second quote in the wrong bit again. Should be fixed in a moment :)

I'm really glad you generally like that weakness though! I thought it would be pretty funny :P

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 06:35:13 AM »

He also has a fascination with knives. This has led to him trying to invent many new types of knives, for different purposes, many often failing, but recently he has managed to draw up schematics of a new type of switchblade, which he calls the “butterfly knife”, as the blade unfolds like a butterfly’s wings, and the concealing wood is used as a handle. However, because he is shy he hasn’t managed to talk to a Gnome or Dwarf or even another human smith for his design to take shape yet. Also because of his acts of subterfuge, he has taken it upon himself to sit in libraries and read anatomical books, so he knows where to strike against men, dwarfs and other races.

First, are you implying here that your character has something of a working knowledge of mechanics? Second, I don't there is such a thing as a switch blade (unless you count the touch of death as a switchblade of sorts, because it works by way of a mechanism), so this invention of his could actually be the first switchblade.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Geoffrey Cracker
Jack-of-all-Trades
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure if I should keep this bit - he's a spy, not an inventor - so I might chop and change here, again. I mean, he's smart, but not THAT smart, and it wouldn't be true to character.

Leif Terskun
Golden Wordsmith
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »

Perhaps he has the ideas - of course, he's a practical expert - but is constantly looking for a weaponsmith who can make his dreams into reality?

Just a quick idea.

Leif Terskun
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]