Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thirsty Herald Chapter XVII  (Read 20287 times)
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »

Trisstessa Stonebridge

Triss gave a sigh as she looked around the kitchen. The day was finally here. She and the rest of her family had put so much work into making the Herald a fine place once again that she could hardly believe that they were now open for business for the first time since her mother died. She prayed to the gods that her father would be well enough to handle the tasks at hand. Well, that was why she was here.

Walking around the kitchen, she mentally checked off all the ingredients she would need for all the dishes they had on the menu. She had done this dozens of times before now, but she needed something to keep her mind occupied as she awaited their first customer. Walking over to the sink, she glanced into a large barrel which held clean water drawn from the well earlier that morning.

Triss pushed a stray strand of her strata yellow hair back behind her hair. Her mind wandered to her late husband, Ethan. If he were alive, would he be here helping? Maybe he could have convinced her father to sell the Herald and come live with them at their house. She puffed out a sigh as she released the thought. Let by-gones be by-gones...

Grabbing a cloth, she stepped out of the kitchen and went to the bar which was located in the middle of the tavern's common room and wiped down the counter. It was already cleaned, but idle hands make for active minds, and Ethan was the last thing Triss wanted to think about. It wasn't because she didn't love him, it was quite the opposite, but rather, she needed to be focused on the task at hand. Knowing how barmaids worked from her previous works, she knew she needed to be strong and present herself as an available woman. Men liked to leave bigger tips to women who showed interest in them.

She glance up at a piece of paper tacked behind the bar. "Help Wanted: Stable Hand". She regretted sending everyone away. She had forgotten about the stable part of things. Oh well, these things can't be helped. Glancing at the door, she pulled her blouse down just a tad, revealing a bit more of her cleavage. More tips meant more money for her family. Perhaps she would be able to afford Claudia a new dress soon...

She looked around and wondered where her daughter was at the moment. Hopefully doing what she was suppose to...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:30:49 AM by Kareesh Valendar » Logged

Aster
The Blind Minstrel
Approved Character

Dwarf, Kiingerim

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »

Claudia Stonebridge

Claudia awoke to the sound of chirping birds, a nice change to the normal way in which she is awoken by her Grandfather ranting about something, no today the tavern was silent. She had slunk away for a nap in one of the guest rooms after cleaning down the bar again, which come to think of it she assumed her mother was re-cleaning anyway.

Claudia stumbled out of the soft embrace of her blankets and, still rubbing sleep out of her eyes, made her way down stairs to see if anybody had arrived yet, nobody had, of course that was to be expected, the Herald had only just re-opened that morning, to Claudia's great amusement she saw her mother absentmindedly polishing the bar. If Claudia was seen she too would be roped into cleaning something again and she really couldn't be bothered, so like most children of about her age, and using the agility only some mice could achieve, she slunk out the nearest exit.

Soon she was in the empty stables, wishing that somebody with a horse was staying, so she would have something to make a fuss over, but no all that she could find where copious amounts of hay and some large barrels full to the brim with water, it had taken hours to fill those things. Eventually she wandered out of the stables and back into the Tavern "Is there anything that you need me to do mum?" she asked with a sigh as her mother fixed her blouse some more.

Emvy Vevictus
Sanguine Siren
Approved Character

Elf, Cor'hm

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »

Booted feet spread wide as to grant the elfess some stability in the shifting sands. Norsidian hued eyes stared down upon the inn and the hovel of its surrounding buildings. A gentle zephyr flowed over the dark elf as her eyes narrowed protectively. Tiny granules came to respite throughout her chestnut hued locks, pointed ears drew back in reprieve upon their spilk-like tenderness. For a moment Emmys supple lips poised in a tight lipped grin, fragmentary particles spackling their moist exterior.

She had heard this place was planning to have a grand reopening, the word had spread quite far, onto the very docks of Strata. Throughout the night, into the dawn and at last Lightthrive her booted feet had carried her. Already Injera had began to roast the armored elf, she had cursed it many times over the last few hours and barely refrained from uttering them unpon the sea of sand. Thankfully, there had been hints of traffic to this place, leading from the city, or she would have assuredly been lost. Obviously the trails had been supply trains coming towards and away from the buildings before her.

For certain the duo of bandits she had dispatched during the night had heard the same rumors and tried to capitalize on would be travelers. The coppery taste of blood still lingered on the dark elfs palette, her soft lips pursed in a spriteful grin. Movement near the establishment broke Emmy from her fleeting revelry, it appeared to be a small human girl departing the inn and making a hasty jaunt towards what seemed to be the stables. In retrospect, it was the first sighting she had of anyone about the place. Is it possible she would be one of the first to arrive?

Refreshed at the prospect of a tepid bath and some suitable food, Emmy strode towards the inn with renewed vigor. Flippantly the elf shook her mane, freeing the deposited sand as she took on a slightly hurried pace. Soon the ballerina broke into a full run towards the well, her toned legs coiling with each stride propelling her forward with surprising speed. Her breath flowed in a calculated measure, almost in unison with the warriors extended footfalls. As she neared the wellspring, nimble digits started to free clasps holding the outer plates of her armor.

Upon reaching her goal the elf tossed aside the cumbersome regalia, leaving only the ringmail beneath as she hoisted the bucket from the well. In her haste she half spilled the contents before placing the container on the ground. Emmy fell to armored knees before it, cupping calloused hands and splashing the cool water across her delicate countenance. For a few blinks she paused to regain her breath, which had been robbed by the chilly shock.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:33:43 PM by Emvy Vevictus » Logged

Power and dominion are taken by the will!
By divine right, hail and kill!
Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian/ Rhulran

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »

His napping little grandchild finally awoke, and as she observed the goings on downstairs, she slinked and slithered her way down before running like a sprite out of the inn. It was a graceful bit of play, and a mischievous way out of more work as well, so Russel emerged from spying on her and shot out in the same direction to go get her.

It took all of a few moments for Russel to realize his legs weren't going to cooperate, and he found himself stumbling, tripping over a chair, and careening onto a table. Completely unscathed, Russel leapt off the table and continued his hunt.

After bursting through the door, he noticed an elf had been using his well to clean her garments, and stopped immediately to look at all the shinies the elfess had.

Uncharacteristic of all of this aforementioned behavior, Russel spoke in a baritone voice, with the high inflections of a boy but the grounded pitch of a man:

Washing those yourself? Why, you needn't do that at all. Once I've fetched my granddaughter, she'll be sure to clean those and set them somewhere safe.

My daughter, who's just inside, will wait on you and I'll sit and have some food and drink with you if you don't mind. Welcome to our home!

Oh, and where'd you get all those shinies anyway?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:43:21 PM by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

The statement below this is false.
The statement above this is true.

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Orly
Wayfaring Whittler
Approved Character

Hobbit, Dogodan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »

Finally Orly had arrived at the Thirsty Herald. He thanked the travelling musicians who had given him a ride to this place, and got down off the wain on which he had been travelling. He had already forgotten their names, but that didn't stop him from waving to them until they got out of his sight. He wondered why they weren't stopping here, but then thought that didn't have anything to do with him.

He turned and looked towards the Thirsty Herald. there was a figure, elf, he thought, at a well, and a man was approaching her. Just past Orly, there was a girl, either a girl or a hobbit woman, no, definitely a girl, not cute enough to be a hobbit woman, Orly decided. He watched as she tore off, and smiled, she was obviously going to meet someone or she was avoiding work, more than likely the latter of those two options. As he walked towards the doors, he was happy to be out of Strata ... the guards of that place were unable to distinguish between a child and a hobbit.

"You shouldn't be out here by yourself, kid," a guard told Orly as he left the city of Strata just hours earlier.

Orly sighed at that and looked at the man, "I am not a kid," Orly replied, raising himself to his full height and looking the guard right in his torso, "I am a hobbit, and I can go anywhere I please."

"Are you fully grown?" the guard asked.

"Yes," Orly replied, "I am fully grown and an adult among the hobbits."

"You look too short to be fully grown to me," the guard said, "weren't you fed enough when you were a child?"

"I was fed plenty as a child," he replied, "Not to be rude, Sir, but I must continue on my way. "

"Take care young Mr Hobbit Kid," the guard answered, even as Orly was passing him.

Orly reached the doors to the Thirsty Herald even as those thoughts went through his mind, and he entered the building. He found a seat near the bar and after a bit of struggle, sat in what to him was an oversized stool. He looked around and waited for something to happen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:24:28 AM by Orly » Logged

The road never ends,
Taking me beyond my dreams,
Each day as it twists and bends,
Crossing plains and mountain streams. - Orly Greenfield
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »

Trisstessa Stonebridge

Triss was torn out of her thoughts by a sudden noise. She started and turned to see what the commotion was all about. She had looked in time to see her father pick himself up off a table and dash out the main entrance. Giving a verbal sigh, she went over to the unfortunate table and picked up the chairs and put them back into place. She glance at the door, wondering where in the world her father was running off to. Triss hoped he didn't run away far, as he was suppose to be helping run the tavern.

She finished putting the table and chairs back to their original positions and went to the kitchen to put her cleaning rag away and out of sight. When she came back out, she saw Claudia coming into the Tavern. Triss cut her off before she could go anywhere else.

"Is there anything that you need me to do mum?"

"If you know where your grandfather is running off to, you could tell me that," Triss said as she fussed with Claudia's blouse. She didn't like seeing that many stains on the blouse, but, honestly, this was one of the best which Claudia had.

She ran a hand through Claudia's adlemirene brown hair. She gently picked out the knots which had been formed during the illicit nap. Triss's mind wandered as she fixed her daughter's hair. Claudia had the same color of hair as Ethan did. She had his hair, but she had Triss's eyes. Triss gave a smile as she remembered the day Claudia was born, Ethan was quick to point out that their beautiful baby daughter had her mother's eyes.

Again, she was snapped out of a trance when she heard the door open and close. A young-looking hobbit stepped into the Herald and took a seat near the bar. Ah! A customer!

"Claudia, why don't you find Grandfather and see what he's up to? We don't want him wandering too far," Triss patted her daughter on the back as she walked to behind the bar. With a smile she smoothed out her blouse and skirt.

"Welcome to the Thirsty Herald, Master Hobbit. Is there anything I can get you today?"

Emvy Vevictus
Sanguine Siren
Approved Character

Elf, Cor'hm

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »

The sudden utterance of the human male from the inn caused the elfs muscles to coil. Emmy had minute fear of the man but her lifetime was filled with reacting to sudden occurrences with swift violence. Only the peculiar nature of the mans voice set the dark elf at ease. With both hands cupped together she reached into the container once again, before raising them to her lips and drinking deeply. The humans words were bizarre as the elfess rose to her feet before looking him up and down. The warrior understood most of what he had said and blamed the missing concepts on her own poor Tharian.

Momentarily distracted the elf surveyed an arriving band, one of their number separated from the group and meandered towards the establishment. The remainder continued past with seemingly no hesitation. Norsidian orbs watched the halfling as it hastened towards the food, obviously. The elderly mans words came to a conclusion, drawing Emvays attention once again towards him. His provisional question lingered for a few blinks, forcing her to converse or appear mute.

I shall b tendin meh own thins. The audacity of this creature to ponder its filth upon my things!

With nonchalance Emmy reached down and grasped the handle of the bucket, tossing it back into the well. Dem shinies as yee call dem are gifs fro me motha, husban's and sistas. Casually the elfess began to gather up the discarded gear, using the straps of her armor to amass the entirety into a large bundle. The elf had caught the mans reference to this place as his home, so she assumed he was the owner. She hefted the massive ensemble over one shoulder whilst hoisting her rucksack over the other.

Ifn yee woul like to join meh den come. The utterances dripped with feign kindness, veiled behind a beaming grin. A warm meal and bath sounded like a perfect conclusion to this already quaint encounter. When she nimbly stepped past the human, his odor nearly caused Emvay to curse him. Instead the elfess turned her head and peered over her armored shoulder, mischief swirling in their blackened depths. Meh nam b Emmy gsir and yers b? The same jovial grin remained awash over the dark elf's porcelain-like countenance.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:17:23 AM by Emvy Vevictus » Logged

Power and dominion are taken by the will!
By divine right, hail and kill!
Aster
The Blind Minstrel
Approved Character

Dwarf, Kiingerim

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »

Claudia

"Oh stop fussing" Claudia moaned as her mother began tugging and twisting her daughters blouse. Thankfully the door opened and a rather short man came waltzing into the Tavern 'Am I taller than him?' she thought as her mother quickly said "Claudia, why don't you find Grandfather and see what he's up to? We don't want him wandering too far." Claudia sighed, ever since they had moved in that had been her primary job 'Go find Grandfather, Look after Grandfather, Oh just go check up on what your Grandfather is doing to that bird' and on and on and on.

Claudia walked outside and saw her grandfather annoying a soon to be customer, as quickly as she could muster she ran outside and snatched her grandfathers hand before spouting a huge mass of apologies to the tall young lady he was pestering, only stopping when she ran out of breath. " So" she sighed "If you wouldn't mind coming inside I'm sure we can fix you up with a drink and my mother would be just delighted to fix you up with a discount on a room? Let's say only 10 sans?" She smiled awkwardly at the newcomer knowing full well that she had just lied through her teeth and that her 'discount' was actually full price. "I hope he didn't ask you anything too personal or strange?" she concluded with a toothy grin.   

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »

Elves tended to freeze and constrict their normally lithe muscles into cords when someone came upon them unawares. This elf was definitely no exception, and she just tensed up and gazed at him quizzically. He thought to try and see if she did or didn't speak Tharian, but before he could form a sentence in his head, she spoke to him in the primitive Tharian of some sort of scalawag:

I shall b tendin meh own thins. This broke his concentration from thinking about what to say, and he could only sit tight and wait for the scatterbrain to go away.

Dem shinies as yee call dem are gifs fro me motha, husban's and sistas. He took another look at her possessions, and while admiring them he started being flatulent.

Ifn yee woul like to join meh den come. Still no offer of an audible response from Russel...

Meh nam b Emmy gsir and yers b? She had just passed him by this time, and he turned toward the door so that he could tell her his name and go inside with her. Without warning, his granddaughter Claudia saw the elf and it's upturned nose, interpreting it as irritation rather than the disgust that it was, and grabbed Russel by the hand.

As she started to lead him into the inn and out of the hair of the elfess, Claudia said:

So, she said with a nearly inaudible sigh, If you wouldn't mind coming inside I'm sure we can fix you up with a drink and my mother would be just delighted to fix you up with a discount on a room? Let's say only 10 sans?

I hope he didn't ask you anything too personal or strange?

At that point, Russel absorbed everything that had just happened and protested to Claudia with a hrrumph!

He then looked at the elf and said:

Well, Emmy, my name is Russel, which "Russel" is short for "Russ." Why don't you come in with us and help me finish a few pints?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:43:00 PM by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Orly
Wayfaring Whittler
Approved Character

Hobbit, Dogodan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »

"Welcome to the Thirsty Herald, Master Hobbit. Is there anything I can get you today?" the woman behind the bar asked him.

"A Tulimon Grape Juice," Orly replied, "and some of those nuts I hear talk about ..." He looked apologetic, and said, "I'm rather forgetful, but I did remember the name of the drink I wanted. My name is Orly Greenfield, and I am far from home. I wander and I whittle."

He patted himself down, a look of consternation on his face, "say, did you see where I put my pipe? You don't mind if I smoke, do you? But to smoke, I need my pipe."

It would be quite clear to Trisstessa that he had it in one of his pockets on his waistcoat.

"Did I tell you my name was Orly, Orly Greenfield," he asked, as he continued his search for his pipe.

The road never ends,
Taking me beyond my dreams,
Each day as it twists and bends,
Crossing plains and mountain streams. - Orly Greenfield
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »

Trisstessa

Triss pushed a strand of hair back from her face as she listened to the hobbit. Mentally she placed an order for a glass of Tulimon Grape Juice and Doch Nuts. She smiled as he prattled on about misplacing his pipe, which she could see bulging from one of his pockets in his waistcoat.

"Did I tell you my name was Orly, Orly Greenfield."

"Good to meet you, Mr. Greenfield," Triss said with a smile. "I'll get you that juice and nuts right away." She started to walk towards the kitchen, but looked back, and said, "Oh, and Mr. Greenfield, I believe you'll find your missing pipe in your right-hand pocket of your waistcoat."

It only took her a moment to go grab a bowl of doch nuts. Feeling her stomach growl, she grabbed a doch nut from the large barrel, which she kept all the doch nuts that were ready to be served. Making sure she chewed it all and swallowed, she stepped out of the kitchen, and walked back to the bar. She placed the bowl upon the bar. Reaching underneath the bar, she grabbed a bottle of the Tulimon Grape Juice. She quickly popped the cork out of the bottle, and then grabbed a mug. Triss poured the juice into the cup and then pushed the mug towards Orly.

"That'll be 5 sans altogether, sir," she said as she placed the cork back into the bottle.

Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »

Emmy

Emmy was quite entertained by the elderly man who had frighted her earlier and his granddaughter. A small smirk came across her face as listened to their conversation. When they both asked her if she would come in, the granddaughter with a proposition of a room and the old man with promises of drinks, she shook her head slightly.

"Naw, I'm afraid t'at I must be a'goin' now. Only be needin' a wee bit o' water before I's start across de desert."

With a small smile and a bow, Emmy left the two curious humans behind as she headed towards the desert.

OOC: The character gave me permission to write her out of the Herald, and I apologize if I butchered the character. Kinda hard to write as a character which isn't yours.  Undecided

Klyff Tylssen
Harshened Nomad
Approved Character

Elf, Meladrhim

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »

Finally catching sight of the tavern Klyff heard so much about while he was the city of Strata, he nearly broke into a ran. Most of the people said just a couple hours ride, but when walking, a couple turned to several. Klyff had no idea how much time had passed since he left the city. Looking around at the tavern, he wondered why it was rumored so much about. It seemed plain to him. Anywhere was a good enough place for a drink, however, and this was no exception.

Wind blew his hair into his eyes as he walked towards the tavern, and small clouds of dirt kicked up as his boots scuffed the ground. Before entering the door of the tavern he took a quick glance of his surrounding, which again were nothing special. Most of the view was dirt and trees, but he noticed a stable to his left, which would be valuable, but again he had no horse.

Throwing a sigh to the wind, he stepped into the tavern. Immediately he was greeted by the jovial sounds of a tavern, the laughing and merry conversations. It seemed like a good place to drink and have a fine time. Peering around, he did not notice anyone stand out to him, so he walked to the bar and sat in one of the stools, waiting rather quietly for a barmaid.

It was not until then that he noticed the half-sized man next to him. Klyff's eyebrows rose as he glanced at this particular sight, but he tried not to be awfully rude and looked away. The half-size was not too important, Klyff had heard of other races. Most likely this man was a gnome or halfling. Of which one though, Klyff could not tell.

Shaking his heads at such pointless thoughts, he slowly read the menu. Reading was not his strong suit, in such an odd language of tharian, and one could see him slowly mouthing the words on the menu, trying to recite it to himself. It was actually a comedic sight, but Klyff hardly realized he did it. Finding the drink that sounded most interesting to him, he turned back to the counter.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. - Saint Augustine
Jituska Kouba
Hungry Nymphet
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »

She was lost. That much was certain. She'd spent the night outside of Strata, and when the night air, as yet unwarmed by a rising sun, had woken her with its chill, she had started walking. It hardly mattered where she went, anyway. She had been alone for the last couple of days, ever since her brother had left her asleep in some alley. She had no idea where he was, but then he'd done that before. Except, you know, normally he'd have been back by now. She had fully intended to stay in the city until he found her again, but she had not counted on some guards with a distaste of small beggar girls. She had tried to explain how she was really just waiting for her brother to come back, but they'd hardly listened to her. Without much ado she had been turned out of the city, and warned off from trying to enter again. After that, she'd been too scared and alone to attempt such a thing.

And so when she woke up, she had decided that fine, if Tojzek wasn't going to come back for her even when she'd been turned out of the city, then she'd find her own way, serve him right for leaving her feeling this scared. She was 12, wasn't she? She could take care of herself. And if Tojzek was worried about her now, well then it was only fair, considering how worried she was getting about him.

That was how she had found herself here, near this neat looking tavern. Beyond it, there was... Well, nothing really. A lot of sand. So maybe she had chosen the wrong way to go? But then again, they'd only  gotten here by stowing away on some ship, so for all she knew all around that town there was just this much sand. And water. Obviously. She squinted her large brown eyes at the place, trying to see movement. She could see nobody - or wait, there was somebody there, who had just gone inside. Other than that the place seemed deserted. Making up her mind - since she could not go forward or back - she traversed the distance to the tavern, but when she was nearly there she hesitated. She had no money at all, and her stomach was roiling with the familiar hungry pain that she'd felt so often since she'd left home. Instead of walking through the door, she made a side trip to the window and looked through it.

Alexandre Scriabin
Music Adept
Approved Character

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »

Russel, after moseying into the tavern and having a seat at the counter, studied his daughter. She was serving a halfling, and doing a fine enough job of it, so he decided he wouldn't bother her.

After a half a minute of dozing off, another elf (this one a bit wild) opened the front door and came in and sat at a stool on the bar, grabbing a menu. Not more than half a second later, a little Caltharian gal came to the window and peered in.

Jabbering his jowls, he think-talked to himself about how much fun he, this girl, and this elf, might have playing and drinking today. In response to her window peeking, he stuck his tongue out at her and then quickly turned away towards the elf.

Well, mr. elf and mr. prospective customer, where have you been going, that you would stop by a dive like this? I hope you weren't considering a trek through the desert. But whether or not you're audacious enough to do that, hasn't a thing to do with how many pints we'll drink and how much fun we'll have today.

So what's your name, mr. elf?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:21:10 PM by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

Alexandre Scriabin CD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]