Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An Adventure in Black - Chapter II  (Read 31337 times)
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
Story Mod

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »

"My name Is Roy Tmofl and think nothing of it Alyre. It is my pleasure to aid travellers such as yourselfs. As it appears we travel in the same direction I would be delighted to accompany you thus far."

There was something in his eyes that troubled the depths of hers; procellous shadows tangled with the glints of twilight-purple and midnight-blue that made her seem like a suspicious palladium--but only briefly. All at once the nature of wind and mystery retook her.

"However I would love to have back my burning stone."

The fire mage pointed to his burning stone still hovering above the trees, and Alýr glanced up, her arm lifting to shield her eyes from the light. She dimmed it but a little--the xeua about the fire ounia in burning stones are so malleable!--and decreased the influence of wind that made it hover aloft, aided by the natural inclinations of the stone that sought the property of heaviness in its earth ounia. It drifted downwards, and she made it stall before him within arm's reach.

"It is a pleasure, Roy," she said gently. "I will let Tak make room for you upon his cart. Perhaps we may talk more when there is time for it." Despite her hidden curiosities and suspicions, her words were sincere. "For now, I must assist one of my companions." The elfess bowed her leave from the red mage, and approached Gilith again to make sure that the old woman, despite her good intentions, had not accidentally inflicted the poor wounded warrior with any more ailments than he already had.

Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
CD Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »

Irid was not really paying attention to what was going on. She was focusing on taking shallow breaths, as it hurt to breathe deeply. She would need to get someone to look at that, though as far as she could judge there was nothing to be seen. The damage must have been done on the inside. Those were the worst kind of injuries - hard to be treated. Still, Gilith was in worse shape. He needed tending first. In the meantime each of the travellers was assigned to a cart. For the second time that day, Irid boarded Tak's cart, this time around consciously. She looked for a place to sit crosslegged on the floor, wondering idly if Jarrox was even going to fit in here. It was a close call even for her, and the lizard was bigger than her.

The next to enter the cart was Remis. Pale and hooded, he looked about him with a hauteur that Irid did not particularly like. However, he refrained from talking - or sneering, as she expected he really wanted to do - and sat down opposite her. She looked at him, her face clear of any expression. She did not like him, but she did not wish to judge him on appearances only. She was even getting used to the lizard, so she could at least give a fellow elf the benefit of the doubt. However, he was not making it easy, with his silences and his proud bearing, obviously thinking himself better than anyone else.

A sound to the back of the cart alerted her that the next passenger was coming. Her golden eyes turned that way to see if it was the lizard trying to fit himself into the small cart, or if there was anyone else who would come in and break the uncomfortable silence that was building between her and the elf.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Tak
Pyro-Geologist
Story Mod

Gnome, Golgnome

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »

"Tak, if you have room, perhaps Irid, Jarrox, and Remis might have space on your cart?"

Tak looked over the group of people assigned to his cart.  It would be a tight fit, but they could probably manage. 

“I think I have space, hopefully they don’t mind getting close.”
Tak looked over everyone again, then turned to Roy. “Roy is it?  Well, come on, you’re just in time for the safety demonstration!” Tak ran off to his cart, climbed up to his seat (slipping once) and stood up on the edge of the cart.

“Please give me your attention for a short safety demonstration.”  Tak projected his voice as loud as he could in hope that the giant lizard would hear him. “Keep your arms and legs inside the cart at all times.”  Tak made hand gestures to his arms and legs while he was speaking.  He looked over at the lizard and adjusted his statement, “Tails too.  This is a non-smoking cart, no pipes, torches, tinderboxes, or fire magic may be used while inside the cart.  Unless there’s trouble, but be careful, the things in here are very sensitive to fire. Oh, and watch out for that barrel,” he pointed to the barrel next to Irid, “it’s fragile and full of Malthanune vials.”

Tak was sure there was something he forgot, but he was too concerned with getting a move on. "Well, I think that covers everything, if i remember anything else I'll make sure to let you know. If you have any questions, please direct them to Buttons or myself.  Roy, find some space.  Lizard, hurry up.  Ready buttons?" Tak hopped back down and sat in his seat, Buttons snorted and they waited to follow Termat and his cart.

"There’s Nothing Worth Doing That Isn’t Worth Overdoing" - Tak "The Magnificent"
Roy Tmofl
The Mage of Flaming Light
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian.

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »

He nodded comprehension to Alyre's words then turned to board Tak's cart.

“I think I have space, hopefully they don’t mind getting close. Roy is it?  Well, come on, you’re just in time for the safety demonstration!” Tak ran off to his cart, climbed up to his seat (slipping once) and stood up on the edge of the cart.

“Please give me your attention for a short safety demonstration.”  Tak projected his voice as loud as he could in hope that the giant lizard would hear him. “Keep your arms and legs inside the cart at all times.”  Tak made hand gestures to his arms and legs while he was speaking.  He looked over at the lizard and adjusted his statement, “Tails too.  This is a non-smoking cart, no pipes, torches, tinderboxes, or fire magic may be used while inside the cart.  Unless there’s trouble, but be careful, the things in here are very sensitive to fire. Oh, and watch out for that barrel,” he pointed to the barrel next to Irid, “it’s fragile and full of Malthanune vials.”

Tak was sure there was something he forgot, but he was too concerned with getting a move on. "Well, I think that covers everything, if i remember anything else I'll make sure to let you know. If you have any questions, please direct them to Buttons or myself.  Roy, find some space.  Lizard, hurry up.  Ready buttons?"

While Roy was slightly less ready to enter the cart upon hearing Tak's words yet his new found excitement was over powering his common sense so he hopped into this pyromaniacs cart. Though I suppose hopped is not the right word to use. He with barely any movement so it seemed glided into cart leaning heavily upon his staff. One of his major concerns was at the moment the inability to use magic in this rolling death trap. He thought no more on this as finding a seat had become difficult. He found with little difficulty a crate that would be suitable to his needs. Yet he still needed to put his very long staff somewhere. Dextrously he manuevered his staff onto the side of the cart and laid it down with its head resting on a barrel that he thought would hopefully not fall over. Now that that had been taken care of he  only needed to worry about the large lizard whom would make this tight fit nearly impossible. Oh well he was willing to go farther than this for his magic.

Though he migt be able to occupy himself along this ride if ony he could find the rigt tools. "Tak." Roy said when it seemed the gnome was positioned firmly on his seat. "Do you happen to have a mortar and pestle I could use?"

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one musn't misuse it.

Pope John Paul II

Magic and personal information.
History and equipment.
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Story Mod

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »

The Old Woman pondered each of her three items of healing and chose one of them before applying it to the injuries suffered by Gilith. She saw what had happened between Alyr and the male elf, but made no comment. It wasn't for a short while before she said something and that thing was, "an interesting group you've got here with you, mistress elf," she said to Alyr, "Dearest thinks it might be fun and rewarding if we travelled with you for a bit ... at least until the next town. Dearest snores, but we can keep Dearest away from us."

A pause, and then she laughed, a strange barking sound, "you do snore, Dearest ... quite loudly ... its amazing you don't wake the dead." Then back to the group on the cart she rode on, "ok, anyone else in need of my talents?"

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
Story Mod

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »

"Quael, will you join Mr. Geirskun's cart?"

The elven woman's black eyes glanced up to the indigo-eyed elf as she was address. With a nod, she moved from the tree she had once been leaning against and hopped onto the cart with an graceful leap. She held her bow and quiver close as not to injure anyone, and took a seat between Ridgen and Juliette.

From her new vantage point, she could see the strange old woman at work. How peculiar she seemed, and Quael couldn't help but wonder who she was, and what a crazy old woman like her was doing in the middle of the forest. It seemed suspicious to her, but if Alýr trusted her, she supposed she would as well--though she could not help feeling there was more to her than her appearance let on.

Jarrox watched the squishies get themselves situated in their little carts with mild amusement. He hadn't considered that he would be joining them until his employer said, "Tak, if you have room, perhaps Irid, Jarrox, and Remis might have space on your cart?"

He shot a glance at the smallest squishy's little cart and looked back at Alýr and then Tak. Did they realize how large he was? And there was David besides, who he certainly wasn't leaving behind.

“I think I have space, hopefully they don’t mind getting close," the gnome replied, and Jarroz snorted a little, obviously a bit off-put to be sharing space with the humans and long-eareds. But if this is what his employer wished...

As Tak was giving his dance of a safety instruction, he walked to the cart, observing the various fire-associated knick-knacks in the cart. He snorted again, picked up David into his lap, and crawled in. By now, the others were already in, and it took him some shifting to get comfortable. His tail hit one or two people in his shifting and turning before it was all over, but he finally fit himelf in near the center of the cart and sat quietly, brooding a bit uncomfortably on the lack of space and the closeness of the others. He hoped this was worth it.

As Alýr returned to the cart, she met the kind eyes of the old woman once more, who said: "An interesting group you've got here with you, mistress elf. Dearest thinks it might be fun and rewarding if we travelled with you for a bit ... at least until the next town. Dearest snores, but we can keep Dearest away from us." Before Alýr could speak, the old woman's attentions were again taken by her invisible companion: "You do snore, Dearest ... quite loudly ... its amazing you don't wake the dead."

She then looked back at the cart, "Ok, anyone else in need of my talents?"

Juliette was a little scratched up, but she indicated her feelings concerning the old woman healing her by pressing herself away, into the far corner of the cart, as far from the old woman as she could get. Alýr noticed this as she stood beside the cart near Gilith, seeking the old woman's roving attention: "We would be happy to have you and... your companion... join us. May I ask your name, and the name of your companion? I think you have done us great good with healing Gilith; I believe one of our other companions may need some attention." Her indigo eyes drifted to Irid in the other cart, who seemed to be growing increasingly nervous, what with the psyrpent and the dark elf near her.

"I will lend her my space here," said Juliette, who noticed the directlon of her employer's gaze and seemed eager to be away from the crazy old woman. Alýr nodded her consent to the plan, and the young woman, sword at her side, jumped out of the cart and walked over to Irid in a manner befitting a sailor lass. She gave Irid a insouciant look and said, "We're trading places. You get to ride with the old forest sprite. I'll ride with these... friendly gentleman." Her sarcasm was dry as the Rahaz-Dath, and she shot what seemed like warning glances to the others in the cart.

Meanwhile, Alýr kept a discerning eye on Gilith and his wounds, seeing if the ointments and pastes applied were doing the wounds well; if they were, she could always quicken their effects.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:17:50 AM by Alýr (Rayne) » Logged

Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

Every thing seemed so blissfully.... inadaquent. Even the old woman talking to herself as she applied strange mixtures of herbs to him did not daunt his spirits.

"Thanks."

He told her. Then he smilled to himself as the ointments did their work which was actually pretty impressive. It was a far greater improvement than his previous worries that he might have been poisoned.

Upon noticing Rayne looking at him and the old woman he lifted his hand and gave the thumbs up to her. With a slight incline of his head. Hopefully she would think that it meant the herbs were working.

If not oh well everything seemed so.... inadaquent. Yes that was a good word.

Aye, I've my fair share of scars. Perhaps a bit too many to be honest, decent sign of a careless man. But those don't bother me, they heal, and even if they don't heal right I've always found a way to deal with 'em. The ones I can see at least, the others...the ones inside. They aren't so easy to forget about, they don't heal like the others do. They might heal in a day, a week, a year. Or maybe some like mine, won't ever heal at all. There's no getting past these scars, you can't treat it, you can't cover it up, and you can't find a way around it. But, there comes a day, when you learn to live it, and you stop living in the past, so you can do what your able for the future.

Gilith
Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
CD Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »

Irid looked up when Juliette spoke to her. The captain had been quiet since Irid had gotten back, but then so had Irid. She nodded, and carefully clambered back out of the cart - not an easy task, now that Jarrox had also picked a spot. Eventually she did manage to get out, and she walked over to the other cart, occupied by the rest of the group. Clambering into this one was just as painful as climbing out of the other one, and by the time she had found a spot she had to press a hand against the sore spot in her chest to keep it from hurting too much. She just saw Gilith raising his thumb at the old woman who seemed to have joined them. She was not sure why, though it might have something to do with her healing him.

"I think we are... ready to go." she said, looking at Alyr. She spoke in Tharian, keeping in mind that not everybody on the cart knew Styrash. Her golden eyes looked closely at the other elf. She looked... tired. But then, who would not be tired after having been chased so long by demons. She wished there was something she could do to help, but in her present condition that was not really possible. Addressing the old woman, she said: "If you have... something against pain... I would be grateful."

Irid al'Menie
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
Story Mod

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »

Alýr smiled as Gilith gave a thumbs-up. He looked quite cut up, and blood stained his armour and clothes, but his positivity didn't seem to fail him. She took in a breath and let her eyes settle upon his shoulder, where the ointment had gone to work. Her indigo-eyes drifted a little, and one could see she was no longer looking at the armour, but observing something beyond sense: she could see the balancing and rebalancing of his car'all, the rebuilding of broken xeua, ounia in flux. Her will was a gentle wind pressing into the discrete fire ounia to quicken the healing. It was a delicate process, but she made no mistake.

She pressed away with the sound of footsteps, and at once saw Irid moving to the cart. The breaks in her xeua had grown worse since last Alýr saw her, and the robed elf, without a second thought, increased the influence of wind to make her lighter, and assisted her into the cart. She followed behind her with one easy movement into the cart. She could hear pain in her companion's voice when she spoke: "If you have... something against pain... I would be grateful."

Alyr glanced into the eyes of the old woman. "If you can dull the pain, I can work to heal the wound magically." Her indigo eyes fell upon Irid again with concern, half looking at her and half at the car'all that was twisting, restless against the pain. "The wound is internal. If the pain can be ameliorated, healing will be easier."

Juliette, meanwhile, slipped easily into the cart. She hardly need glance about her at the giant lizard, the anti-social dark elf, the suspicious fire mage, and the strange gnome to know she was riding with half the entries in the races section of the Santharian Compendium. Still, she felt better with most of these brooding characters than with hat crazy old woman, who would no doubt turn her hair green or make her hiccup frogs.

Termat Geirskun
Debonair Gentleman
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

Unwounded, Termat looked with concern on the faces of those who were, though he admired Gilith’s fortitude and the cheery lack of overt concern with which he responded to Alýr’s enquiry. Apart from the two, whose names he still did not know, who were swapping around, it seemed that everyone except Tak, Alýr, and he himself was on one of the carts, including the old woman on his; as the new arrival to his cart arrived, however, their leader mounted gracefully behind her and spoke with concern to the old woman. Both requested for her something to dull the pain; they seemed in capable hands with the old woman.

Termat moved to the front of his cart and quickly hitched the donkey up as he had been shown when he acquired it - it seemed like an absolute age ago - before stepping round to the back to enquire about their position.

“Miss. Alýr, are we about ready to go? If we are, which way?” She nodded her assent and gestured along the path; Termat moved back to the side of his donkey and with a tug on its lead rope started it moving along the path.

When it was going, he stripped off his jacket and walked alongside in just his waistcoat - the sun was rising in the sky, and the day was really heating up; he didn’t want to be walking in all that.

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Story Mod

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »

The old woman watched as the dangerous female warrior type moved as far away from her as possible, while remaining in the cart. Her gaze flickered to Alýr and noticed that the indigo-eyed elf was also watching the warrioress. Then she saw the elfess had turned her gaze onto herself and returned the gaze, listening to the elfess speak, "We would be happy to have you and... your companion... join us. May I ask your name, and the name of your companion? I think you have done us great good with healing Gilith; I believe one of our other companions may need some attention." The old woman followed the elfess' gaze over to the other cart where another female elf was, looking very uncomfortable.

Then the warrioress exitted the cart, giving her place up for the elfess from the other cart, keen to get away from her, the old woman suspected, and she watched as the second elfess gracefully, though with not a bit of discomfort got into this cart.

"Oh I know, dearest, she asked for our names," the old woman said, then she looked at Alýr, "yes, you may ask, and I'll give you an answer after I heal your fellow elfess here."

"Thanks," was the simple thing that her first patient, Alýr called him Gilith, said to the old woman and she smiled down at him, "just don't go getting beat up again, young man."

Then the second elfess was speaking to her, "If you have... something against pain... I would be grateful."

The old woman considered that, and rumbled through her things, and said, "yes, I have something for you."

Then Alýr had turned her gaze back to of the old woman. "If you can dull the pain, I can work to heal the wound magically." Her indigo eyes fell upon Irid again with concern, half looking at her and half at the car'all that was twisting, restless against the pain. "The wound is internal. If the pain can be ameliorated, healing will be easier."

"I've got something else in here," she said, even as the carts got underway, "aha, miyu paste, this'll do the trick. I'll just add water, and then ... here we go dearest, a paste. This should numb the injury, and then the magical healing can commence."

The old woman applied the paste to Irid's skin, and said to the elfess, "please let us know when it is numb, that means it is working."

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Quáel
PathFinder
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2012, 05:17:43 AM »

Quael sat in the cart and watched as Gilith was being healed. Well, hopefully being healed, the old woman is very strange, either she's crazy and has no idea what she is doing, or she is as wise as an old sage. As she looks around Quael begins to notice how large the group has become, but the more the better I'm sure, Alyr knows what she's doing.

The strange man, whose name is apparently Roy, seems very interested in what Alyr is saying. He becomes very keen on joining the party, the look in his eyes is unmistakable though, desire burns in his pupil just like the burning stones in his hand. So Quael makes a mental note of him, and begins to stare off into the depths of the forest that surrounds them. 

Nothing peirces the soul more than eyes do.
Quáel
Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
CD Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »

Irid allowed the woman to put her paste on her chest. She waited for a while before feeling the spot where it hurt most. She had the strangest sensation, where she felt in her fingertip where she touched her own skin, but the corresponding spot on her chest gave no sensation of being touched. It felt like there was nothing there, except that her eyes and her fingers told her that there was. Her breathing was still laboured however. She nodded at the old woman. "It is working."

She turned towards Alyr, who had said she could help. She did not really want to burden the other elfess further, she would need all her magical ability. But she knew that she had little choice. In her current condition she would not be much help at all. If Alyr needed anything, it was healthy people around her. She would have to take care not to get wounded again - even if she did not remember receiving this particular injury.

Irid al'Menie
Tak
Pyro-Geologist
Story Mod

Gnome, Golgnome

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

"We're trading places. You get to ride with the old forest sprite. I'll ride with these... friendly gentleman."

Tak let out an audible sigh.  He needed to give this new comer his safety demonstration.

"Miss Juliette I presume?  Did you hear my safety demonstration, or do I need to give it again?  I think the later, seeing as you're sitting on a barrel of Malthanune vials."  Tak pointed to the barrel Juliette settled upon, and she immediately found another place to sit in the cramped wagon.

"Yes, yes.  Everything in this cart will try to kill me if I touch it.   Can we please get going?  This won't be the most comfortable of rides." She said, with a hint of a sneer, and turned away from the Gnome. 

"Well then."  Tak said, settling back into his seat.  He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted to Alyr and Termat, "All set back here!"

Buttons to plodded a course behind Termat's cart, she didn't seem to notice the added weight.

"There’s Nothing Worth Doing That Isn’t Worth Overdoing" - Tak "The Magnificent"
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
Story Mod

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »

"It is working."

Alýr's eyes met Irid's, and there was something in the indigo orbs that conveyed comfort. After all, they were sisters of a common race, and the make-up of the golden-eyed elf's cár'áll was similar, in many ways, to her own.

Alýr took in a breath and her eyes seemed to go distant as her sight drifted to Irid's cár'áll. She could feel the clockwork of the elf's aura, the tugging of the taut web of xeuá connecting oún after oún. Within this strange and beautiful web, just below the surface, the clockwork was unhinged: there was a break, a place where the fire ounia flared and wind ounia wavered.

The indigo-eyed elf pressed her will into the broken links and strengthened them to soór, into the raging ones and calmed them to ahm. As some ounía dimmed, others illuminated, and the intricate and delicately-balanced cár'áll seemed to stabilise. The painful cacophony eased slowly into a natural harmony.

The airy, foreign will retreated from Irid's cár'áll, and Alýr seemed to return to herself somewhat. Her slender form wavered a bit, as though with exhaustion, but she recovered, and smiled to her fellow elf in a way that thinly hid her weariness.

"Dierás qué én erashím, styréfthé?" she asked quietly, earnestly.

[Do you feel pain, sister?]

Dierán: v. : feel
erásh: noun (m): pain

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]